• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Europa Universalis IV - Development Diary 10th of October 2023 - Yemen and Arabia

Greetings everyone! Today we will take a look into Yemen and the Arabic states, coming back to a more regular type of DD.

Let us start with the content for the Yemeni countries:
rassid missions.png

yemen missions.png

Note: Mission icons are still WIP.

As you might notice, the first mission tree is for the Rassids while the second one is for all Yemeni countries. The reason for this is that they are one of the two unique tags that follow the Zaidi school of Islam (the other one is Gilan on that note) and even are a Feudal Theocracy, so figured they deserve a bit more attention.

In general, though, the Yemeni tags are relatively similar with a similar focus which is the unification of southern Arabia, expansion into the Horn of Africa, and, of course, trade.

The Yemeni tags won’t have any big gimmicks to play with as you will probably either form the Mamluks / Egypt or Arabia later on. With that being said, they still have some interesting additions and small design experiments. An example is the addition of more age-lasting rewards like in the “Unite Yemen” mission:
age rewards.png

Note: Completing missions with age-limited modifiers after the age has passed will just give some small monarch power instead.

These kinds of rewards should incentivize you to focus on certain missions and allow us to give impactful rewards without having to worry about them stacking too much indefinitely as this was the case with permanent rewards.

A bit of a theme for the Yemeni mission rewards is to strengthen the Propagate Religion Trade Policy as you can see in the following missions:
propagate religion.png

And as a trade-focused nation, you will gain the ‘Thalassocracy’ reward when you manage to make the Gulf of Aden the highest-valued trade node and make a monthly income of 300 ducats.
thalassocracy.png

What is a Yemeni country without its focus on coffee?
coffee.png

The “Port of Mukha” requires you to have a workshop, shipyard, and 20 development in the coffee province. The resulting plantation will then pretty much carry your economy while you can focus on “Qahwah Monopoly”.

Now a short insight in the Rassids-specific missions:
rassids missions 1.png

rassids missions 2.png

And when you are done with the Yemen mission tree then you can form into Arabia to continue your campaign. With “Unite Arabia” you will be able to form Arabia a lot earlier too:
unite arabia.png

With that being said, let’s take a look at the Arabic content. Before I go into the Arabic mission trees, I should mention that Arabia has received new ideas so they are no longer a drawback to form:

Code:
ARB_ideas = {
    start = {
        tolerance_own = 2
        years_of_nationalism = -10
    }

bonus = {
        siege_ability = 0.15
    }

trigger = {
        tag = ARB
    }
    free = yes

ARB_arabian_pincers = {
        cav_to_inf_ratio = 0.25
        cavalry_power = 0.25
    }
    ARB_pact_of_umar = {
        dhimmi_loyalty_modifier = 0.1
        global_tax_modifier = 0.2
    }
    ARB_engage_in_indian_ocean_trade = {
        trade_steering = 0.2
    }
    ARB_conversion = {
        global_missionary_strength = 0.03
    }
    ARB_jihad = {
        warscore_cost_vs_other_religion = -0.1
    }
    ARB_new_caliphate_rising = {
        missionaries = 1
        missionary_maintenance_cost = -0.25
    }
    ARB_mubarizun = {
        army_tradition_decay = -0.01
    }
}

Also forming Arabia will now fire the following flavor event, allowing you to change your capital to one of the important provinces from the Caliphate states:
arabia_capital_event.png

Now to the mission tree for the Arabic countries and Arabia as a whole:
arabia_missions.png

These missions are available to all Bedouin and Hejazi countries. The mission tree is split into 5 parts, 2 of them are inspired by Hejaz while the other 2 smaller parts are inspired by Najd. The last and biggest part is telling the narrative of the formation of a new Arabic Caliphate, and as such possesses a large number of conquest missions.

Starting with the Hejaz-flavored mission parts which branch from the missions “Promote Shura” and “Protectors of the Two Cities”. Here are some highlights of these missions:
wahabism.png

protectors_of_the_cities.png

expand_jeddah_port.png

Note: Jeddah is a Coastal Desert province. So in total, the province will have a -5% Local Development Cost from mission rewards after completing these missions.

As for the Najd-flavored part, here are the following highlights:
befriend_local_amirs.png

Note: Countries which do not have the government mechanic gain +15% Permanent Reinforce Speed instead.
the_harsh_desert.png

found_riyadh.png

Before moving on to the last part of the mission tree, I should mention a special decision available to Bedouin and Hejazi countries. Near the city of Medina used to be an old gold mine which was virtually exhausted in EU4’s timeframe. However, as your early economy in Arabia is barely sufficient enough to cover your state maintenance, we have added a decision that allows the Medina province to help boost your economy for the early years:
restore_cradle_of_gold.png

And once gold runs out of its usefulness to you, you can restore Cloth production once more.
close_cradle_of_gold.png

At last, we now take a look at the core of the mission tree which is heavily dedicated to expansion to mirror the past achievements of the Islamic conquests. As these missions are quite self-explanatory, I will focus on the big highlights of this part:
topple_mamluks.png

abbasid_legacy.png

unite_the_homeland.png

caliphal_ambitions.png

Note: The mission is significantly easier to complete than the Unify Islam decision.

rightly_guided.png

That was it for this week. Next week @Pavía will present you a feature breakdown of 1.36 as well as new and exciting QoL and modding additions. Until then, I wish you all a great week!

• 66Like
  • 9Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
8 years ago, the region is in dire need of an update. o_O
well, 6 years ago (which is already a lot longer than i thought lol i could've sworn cradle came out 3 years ago or something). I agree the region could use some more flavour, but it's not like it was absolutely starved either. The caucasus for example hasn't been touched ever iirc (apart from splitting up georgia), so I think it's only fair that they get some attention too, they were never going to get their own dlc, let's be real.

Don't get me wrong, i'm dissapointed by the rather limited distribution of mission trees too, but I don't feel like it's fair to blame some of the tags that did get attention, especially since again they haven't received anything either. Even Byzantium's dlc was as old as the game itself, players were clamoring for an update and where else were they going to get one. Still sad about Oman though :/

Sidenote, but are the Timurids really in a bad spot now ? They've got a more interesting start than most and have two very obvious paths, one towards forming Mughals and one towards forming Persia with loads of content in KoK. Their mission tree admittedly isn't too exciting but there's like 12 unique missions in there which isn't too bad considering it's meant to set up forming mughals or persia which have loads of content. Idk they felt pretty flavourful when i played them last.

• 1Like
Reactions:
well, 6 years ago (which is already a lot longer than i thought lol i could've sworn cradle came out 3 years ago or something). I agree the region could use some more flavour, but it's not like it was absolutely starved either. The caucasus for example hasn't been touched ever iirc (apart from splitting up georgia), so I think it's only fair that they get some attention too, they were never going to get their own dlc, let's be real.

Don't get me wrong, i'm dissapointed by the rather limited distribution of mission trees too, but I don't feel like it's fair to blame some of the tags that did get attention, especially since again they haven't received anything either. Even Byzantium's dlc was as old as the game itself, players were clamoring for an update and where else were they going to get one. Still sad about Oman though :/

Sidenote, but are the Timurids really in a bad spot now ? They've got a more interesting start than most and have two very obvious paths, one towards forming Mughals and one towards forming Persia with loads of content in KoK. Their mission tree admittedly isn't too exciting but there's like 12 unique missions in there which isn't too bad considering it's meant to set up forming mughals or persia which have loads of content. Idk they felt pretty flavourful when i played them last.
The Timurid tree is more generic than the Purple Phoenix tree for Byzantium.The Timurids have no unique flavor and serve only as stepping stone for the Mughals.Idk where did you find the flavor.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Community team member here, mostly speaking on my own behalf. Firstly I apologize to those who got their hopes up about a nation they wanted to see get cool stuff just for that to turn out not to be the case. Whether it was Oman, Hejaz, Timurids, etc. I'd say "We hear you" but that line is pretty cleché at this point.

I agree communications on this pack could have been handled better, putting the vague idea of a "Middle East DLC" out into the wild for everyone to use their imaginations deciding what that exactly entails is what lead to some feeling let down. Implication and expectation are important. This is something I believe we should be more careful about in the future.

Sometimes the line between open and clear communication and avoiding promises or setting false expectations can be blurry and difficult to dance on. Especially so far in advance. I can understand as a fan how frustrating it can be to get your hopes up for something only for that thing to be not what you expected. Even if it's good or great!

And we do still believe King of Kings will be good for what it is! A flavorful immersion pack with an emphasis on Mamluks, Persia, and Byzantium playthroughs. (with a little bit extra sprinkled where we can of course, I'm personally excited for QQ/AQ :)).

As my friend and colleague @Pavía already mentioned, we'll be discussing more of the design focus in next week's Dev Diary, so I won't get into that now. But suffice it to say, we're eager to share our thoughts with you then <3

This response is strange and suggests internal problems at Paradox. You knew full well the expectations of the players, and you know the state of imbalance in which the game finds itself (Middle East and Central Asia away from any flavor and interesting mechanics). For months, and even several years now, comments have been exchanged, and surveys have been carried out about the preferred regions for future DLC. I said “regions”. The Middle East came up systematically, with supporting arguments, entire posts and threads on how to bring it to life, etc. I really find it very difficult to believe in a clumsy communication (I lean towards a secret and serious internal problem preventing us from carrying out what was planned), the absence of a provisional timetable for serious work on the Middle East confirms my suspicions.

• 7Like
Reactions:
That is something I cannot answer at this time, unfortunately.
I am thankfull regardless. Here's one suggestion for future DD and EU(5) at all. Be open about features and countries you want to update. Example, let's say that Tinto team wants to update post Mongol world. Present a list of countries you plan to update (Timurids, Golden Horde, Yuan etc.) so players can have clear direction of DLC/update and not unrealistic expectations. That way any confusion would be avoided.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
I don't actually disagree with that much of the prioritization. Persia and the Mamluks were the big tags to focus on in the region, Georgia and the sheep were notable tags that sorely needed something, and giving Arabian minors something as a collective was a good call. A Byzantium mission tree had to be shoved into some DLC at some point, and this is a fine one for it.

My sticking points really come down to two points:
  1. In a DLC with Persia and the Mamluks in focus, Oman should have been one of the top picks to be included, as a historical winner that is situated between them and even has two separate unique niches for the region in its Ibadi religion and its focus on trade and colonization.
  2. A big mission tree for Karabakh. Not just is it there over Oman, it is there over a number of relevant alternatives. Ardabil is already there as a tiny country in the region that is getting a big mission tree, and Hisn Kayfa was arguably a better pick if you really wanted a second one.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I don't actually disagree with that much of the prioritization. Persia and the Mamluks were the big tags to focus on in the region, Georgia and the sheep were notable tags that sorely needed something, and giving Arabian minors something as a collective was a good call. A Byzantium mission tree had to be shoved into some DLC at some point, and this is a fine one for it.

1. In a DLC with Persia and the Mamluks in focus, Oman should have been one of the top picks to be included, as a historical winner that is situated between them and even has two separate unique niches for the region in its Ibadi religion and its focus on trade and colonization.
  2. A big mission tree for Karabakh. Not just is it there over Oman, it is there over a number of relevant alternatives. Ardabil is already there as a tiny country in the region that is getting a big mission tree, and Hisn Kayfa was arguably a better pick if you really wanted a second one.
I do agree with most of your points.

1. Byzantium is a nation that needed to be put in some DLC/update and KoK was a perfect choice since their Purple Phoenix content are outdated.

2. Oman is definitely a nation that deserved content and focus, especially in a DLC/update that focuses on Middle East alongside with some other countries like Nubia, Trebizond or Jerusalem at the very least if including countries like Timurids or Granada/Andalusia is out of scope.

Players expectations were build based on previous DD from Origins all the way to Domination where devs themselves advertised that they do have plans for countries like Mughals, Granada/Andalusia or Nubia and many players, me included, thought that these countries would get new content in Middle East update which made perfect sense from certain point of view. There was no clear set of "what will include this update" list. If devs came upfront and said what they plan to put in this update there would be far less disappointed players. That's why i suggested that in the future, in order to avoid further confusion, be open (devs) about what you plan to deliver in any update for EU4. Examples : new QoL improvements, new Content for certain countries (missions, events, government reforms etc.) and so on. This would definitely help players to understand what content will players get in any future update and there will be no unrealistic expectations from players side and from devs side clear goal of list on what they want to do.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Community team member here, mostly speaking on my own behalf. Firstly I apologize to those who got their hopes up about a nation they wanted to see get cool stuff just for that to turn out not to be the case. Whether it was Oman, Hejaz, Timurids, etc. I'd say "We hear you" but that line is pretty cleché at this point.

I agree communications on this pack could have been handled better, putting the vague idea of a "Middle East DLC" out into the wild for everyone to use their imaginations deciding what that exactly entails is what lead to some feeling let down. Implication and expectation are important. This is something I believe we should be more careful about in the future.

Sometimes the line between open and clear communication and avoiding promises or setting false expectations can be blurry and difficult to dance on. Especially so far in advance. I can understand as a fan how frustrating it can be to get your hopes up for something only for that thing to be not what you expected. Even if it's good or great!

And we do still believe King of Kings will be good for what it is! A flavorful immersion pack with an emphasis on Mamluks, Persia, and Byzantium playthroughs. (with a little bit extra sprinkled where we can of course, I'm personally excited for QQ/AQ :)).

As my friend and colleague @Pavía already mentioned, we'll be discussing more of the design focus in next week's Dev Diary, so I won't get into that now. But suffice it to say, we're eager to share our thoughts with you then <3
Very sad and disappointing. Byzantium is a country that dies 12 years into the game and got more focus than the arabian minors, oman, granada, timmys, iraq, syria, mughals, and hisn kayfa. Its like if in lions of the north they gave content only to denmark and the rest went to bulgaria, serbia, and bosnia.

• 2Like
Reactions:

For handling minor nations who could have been excluded from this Immersion Pack (i can think of maybe a few, like Socatra), Greece as a tag currently like i've mentioned on the first Persian DD has nothing to compensate for its prominent place in achievement runs or reason to revisit the balkans unless Medea pulls a sneaky manoeuvre while all the other nations are being up-levelled.

But the whole 'keep most requested features secret' was a fun gimmick for the DD once with Norse, but we're all responsible adults to handle our reactions, and the lack of clarity in the current DD's roadmaps is getting a little bit worrying hence calls to just outlie each stop of the DD in writing from the start with no required elaboration. I was relieved that the DD's slowed down, but its bordering on looking like the rest of the coming content is going to run out of steam (no pun) and therefore i shouldn't really be bothered to keep following it up to read.

• 4Like
Reactions:

I'm not blaming any tag, in contrary I was always hoping on an update focusing on the caucasus. Problem is now that armenia and georgia have been touched, I doubt the rest of caucasia is going to be adressed. Caucasia should have been adressed with an immersion pack focusing on the Golden Horde domain (pontic steppe, caucasia and central asia). It's not like it's set in stone, but I feel like that's it for the caucasus. And the mission trees for those two countries doesn't really touch on it's intricate history, it should have had mission trees based on the region and its history and its alt paths. Both just basically got a conquer the ME route and that's it, atleast it feels that way. I hope they put in enough event to make them feel actually unique and caucasian. It would have been better to include them in their own proper region DLC.

And I disagree bro, the middle east is kinda lacking. There are not a lot of events, special mechanics or an overall feel of "Look I'm playing in the middle east". The islamic religion group could do with an update, making it more impacting, flavourful and actually give the sense of there's a worldwide muslim web. The HRE, papal system, Chinese emperor are great systems and examples to use for something to bring to the arabic world to make that superregion stand out more. The barbary states and morocco also could do with a face lift. The most lacking part imo with muslim countries in general is the lack of a system that portrays the broader ummah. Like why not develop a fitnah/prosperity system? Or an abassid caliph system where you hosting them can get bonuses or special events, a special estate or special interactions with fellow muslim countries. The struggle between shi'ite and sunni could also be represented a bit more,... the list can go on.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think the minors picked were mostly good choices, Georgia, the Turkmen tribes and Yemen are all good and interesting tags to play and were all in need of some love. Clearly you can’t have a Middle East update without updating Persia and the Mamluks. I personally don’t think the Timurids were/are in as dire need as these others: they have an interesting start anyways, with a unique starting position and interesting formables, one of which is getting updated. I suppose my main gripe is therefor the lack of content for the two other very interesting starting nations in the region: Oman and Hormuz. They’re just fan favorites to lovers of the region, I feel, and while they have always been relatively interesting starts, they’re going to fall by the wayside compared to their regional neighbours. (Who would now choose Oman over Yemen, especially for example in MP.) I also feel its just an easy fix: half of Yemens missions can basically be given to Oman as well: the whole unite Arabia and Indian Trade branches, then just slap on the existing African claims missions and some development of Muscat, similar to Mokha missions and you’re done. Similarly, there’s clearly some overlap between Byzantium and Trebizond, and the latter also seems very popular with a certain crowd.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I think the minors picked were mostly good choices, Georgia, the Turkmen tribes and Yemen are all good and interesting tags to play and were all in need of some love. Clearly you can’t have a Middle East update without updating Persia and the Mamluks. I personally don’t think the Timurids were/are in as dire need as these others: they have an interesting start anyways, with a unique starting position and interesting formables, one of which is getting updated. I suppose my main gripe is therefor the lack of content for the two other very interesting starting nations in the region: Oman and Hormuz. They’re just fan favorites to lovers of the region, I feel, and while they have always been relatively interesting starts, they’re going to fall by the wayside compared to their regional neighbours. (Who would now choose Oman over Yemen, especially for example in MP.) I also feel its just an easy fix: half of Yemens missions can basically be given to Oman as well: the whole unite Arabia and Indian Trade branches, then just slap on the existing African claims missions and some development of Muscat, similar to Mokha missions and you’re done. Similarly, there’s clearly some overlap between Byzantium and Trebizond, and the latter also seems very popular with a certain crowd.
I do sort of agree. If we accept that countries like Timurids or Granada/Andalusia al ready have some content i do agree that there was a dire need for countries like Armenia, Georgia or Mamluks and Persia. And yes countries like Oman and Hormuz are one of the favourite countries in Middle East however i personally would expand that list to at least Jerusalem and Trebizond since the demand for those countries are al ready high. That's why i suggested this DLC/update be if possible delayed until Oman, Hormuz, Jerusalem and Trebizond are included.

Reactions:
That's correct, barring minor adjustments or "continuations" of what we've shown (Such as mission trees we didn't fully show off) a vast majority of the nation-specific content has been already shown or directly mentioned in DDs.

I want to dispel any theories that next week is secretly a mega Oman DD. As much as I wish it was with all this feedback.
This is actually shocking to me. So, Oman gets no content at all? The entire reason I was excited for this supposed """middle east""" DLC was because I wanted to make a cool Omani trade empire like they did in real life, it bring me immense displeasure to learn that it won't be included at all, let alone be a minor part of the DLC. This becomes even more shocking when Yemen, of which was barely a country in the time period of the game, got content.

Unless this DLC is below 10 dollars, this might be the first one I just don't buy. Georgia and Persia are the only two nations that I am remotely interested that's included in the dlc and buying a dlc for merely two nations just isn't worth it to me. You guys advertised this blatantly as a middle eastern DLC and it is very much not close to that.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I think severely limiting the scope of this DLC is truly a mistake which I hope can be reversed. Giving the Timurids, Oman, Hisn Kayfa, Theodoro & Trebizond some attention would have been entirely justified, especially because their exclusion likely means there isn't going to be any further content in the base game for those countries. While there is a lot of overlap in missions possible between Oman and Yemen, Hisn Kayfa (and a reformed Ayyubids) and Mamluks/Arabia, Trebizond & Theodoro & Byzantines, etc. Entire new government mechanics wouldn't be necessary (apart from perhaps the Timurids), but an interesting mission tree with some historical detail and interesting counterfactuals would have been nice. And if one needs inspiration there is so much already in the modding scene.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This whole DLC and its sorrounding philosophy seems like they picked the wrong region for that. Huge mission trees for a few select tags could have worked way better with South America, maybe even India. There, you could give big trees to the big three nations, Aztecs, Maya and Inca, maybe even the Zapotecs. Then smaller regional missions for the minors, with the eventual goal to usurp these powers. No need to give ex-colonial nations much/anything, since no one plays them except for maybe the USA because of the memes and achievements. They could have gained something, maybe Mexico and Brazil too, but this is no must.

But the Middle-east is just a diverse region with so many interesting tags, has plenty winners like Oman and Persia and old, declined empires such as Trebizond, Hisn Kayfa and the (Abbassid) Caliphate. It could have easily been a DLC like Emperor, but instead of foccusing on Western Europe, it would have foccused on the Muslim world all the way from Granada to Afghanistan. Regional trees for the minors, revamped trees for the barbary nations, small but enganging trees for interesting minors and the big ones for the formables and Mams. But oh well, I guess these nations will now remain forever buried in the sand, unless the DLC is indeed delayed to at least make all of Arabia interesting.

Lets see what Pavia says next week, a little part of me is still optimistic that most of us can be happy in the end, maybe it won't be the last content for the region at all. And if not, hey, there is always Europa Expanded and the oldschool way to play the game :)

• 8Like
Reactions:
This whole DLC and its sorrounding philosophy seems like they picked the wrong region for that. Huge mission trees for a few select tags could have worked way better with South America, maybe even India. There, you could give big trees to the big three nations, Aztecs, Maya and Inca, maybe even the Zapotecs. Then smaller regional missions for the minors, with the eventual goal to usurp these powers. No need to give ex-colonial nations much/anything, since no one plays them except for maybe the USA because of the memes and achievements. They could have gained something, maybe Mexico and Brazil too, but this is no must.

But the Middle-east is just a diverse region with so many interesting tags, has plenty winners like Oman and Persia and old, declined empires such as Trebizond, Hisn Kayfa and the (Abbassid) Caliphate. It could have easily been a DLC like Emperor, but instead of foccusing on Western Europe, it would have foccused on the Muslim world all the way from Granada to Afghanistan. Regional trees for the minors, revamped trees for the barbary nations, small but enganging trees for interesting minors and the big ones for the formables and Mams. But oh well, I guess these nations will now remain forever buried in the sand, unless the DLC is indeed delayed to at least make all of Arabia interesting.

Lets see what Pavia says next week, a little part of me is still optimistic that most of us can be happy in the end, maybe it won't be the last content for the region at all. And if not, hey, there is always Europa Expanded and the oldschool way to play the game :)
Is this an English mod? Not everyone is comfortable with this language; for example, some of the members of this forum have to resort to automatic translation. And if EU IV had been entirely in English, I would never have bought it