• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Victoria II - Japan
Chapter One Hundred-Sixty-Nine - Modern Edo

bDAaN5iW_o.jpg

By late January two of the Man-of-Wars, one from Kochi and one from Kyoto, were ordered to the Port of Edo.

The Province of Nara had also upgraded its railroad system in early February. To celebrate the lower class were allowed to watch the trains roll past their villages. Not for free, of course. They had to pay for the view.

s3DIw9qu_o.jpg

Both of the new Man-of-Wars would finally arrive in Edo by March. By now the First Fleet had eleven proper Man-Of-Wars, six Frigates, and eleven steam powered transports.

aJ96zNwD_o.jpg

Also by March Japan’s top exports were timber, tea, and precious metals. Its major imports were wool, fruit, and cattle. Seems the Japanese had developed a taste for steak!

In March a Fabric Factory was built in Niigata and the Naval Base was upgraded on the Province of Edo. Maybe the Fabric Factory was used to turn the wool into blankets, uniforms, or socks.

KqPlxW9O_o.jpg

Edo was truly becoming a modern city. A large Naval Base, a Fort, and a Railroad system serviced the city. The Capital was as busy as a bee hive. And just as crowded.

Still, the Liberal Party was pleased the way Japan was shaping up. But there was still lots to work on.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Victoria II - Japan
Chapter One Hundred-Sixty-Nine - Modern Edo

The Province of Nara had also upgraded its railroad system in early February. To celebrate the lower class were allowed to watch the trains roll past their villages. Not for free, of course. They had to pay for the view.
Sounds legit, I've heard about both "trainspotting" tickets and "rail pedestrian tickets" (a ticket for being allowed to walk along the tracks)

Also images were visible to me.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Where are the Japanese ordering this steak from? America? Europe? Are they making their own?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Where are the Japanese ordering this steak from? America? Europe? Are they making their own?
They are importing cattle. I assume from mainland Asia? Or maybe the US? They are friendly with Japan.

Reactions:
Victoria II - Japan
Chapter One Hundred-Seventy - March Of Progress!

3BeafIw9_o.jpg

Late March the Province of Osaka announced it had completed its railroad system. Or, to be honest, upgraded the railroad system.

And the Province of Wakayama reported the same in the middle of April.

iQdHFESh_o.jpg

The UK was still fighting the Oman and their allies.

frMJDLFi_o.jpg

As the UK was the greatest of the Great Powers it was unlikely she would NOT win. But how long would she be King of the Mountain? The German Empire and the American Empire were both ready and willing to take the top slot on the list.

dxpoqusl_o.jpg

The Diplomats in London decided to try to repair the damage done by the request to the Queen to become an ally of Japan. It worked to repair SOME of the damage.

In late April the Man-of-War from Sendai and the Man-of-War from Okinawa finally had enough supplies to set course for Edo.

yV0usNC2_o.jpg

The Province of Memuru announced it had completed, or updated, its rail system. The railroad owners offered hot dogs and balloons for the rich kids and spankings for the poor kids. Free spankings!

HfEQbg7n_o.jpg

Then the scientists reported they had stolen..er…discovered Scientific Management. Which helped increase Factory output.

MxoqceRC_o.jpg

They were told to study high and low pressure steam engines. It was hoped that such technology would help improve Mining and Farming output.

Steam seemed to be the future!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Are Germany and America open to an alliance (with each other) to dethrone Britain?

These steam engines should unite Japan more than ever before!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Victoria II - Japan
Chapter One Hundred-Seventy-One - Foreign Dogs?

DnkHcQp4_o.jpg

By late March the two Man-Of-Wars had finally joined the First Fleet in the Port of Edo.

Px5bvpmv_o.jpg

Now there were thirteen heavy warships.

ZFMJtjou_o.jpg

In July the scientists announced that they had invented Inventory Planning. In other words planning ahead when dealing with inventory, machines and tools, and securing funds. Which greatly increased the efficiency of the Factories.

oshgEqZ2_o.jpg

They also stated they had discovered Empiricism. A idea that there is no reality behind appearances. Blah, blah, blah. Nobody cares. It was one of those things taught in school to students that was never used in real life, like using long division when doing taxes, and was mostly debated by drunks in pubs right before they went home to be beaten by their wives.

fRoLgown_o.jpg

That same month the Liberal Party decided to seize foreign production that was within Japan or Japan’s territory. The latter made more sense as nobody really knew of any foreign factories or businesses in Japan itself.

CmvFxuko_o.jpg

The young members of the Liberal Party were a little worried about this decision. Surely they would be upsetting ONE of the Great Powers? But which one?

Japan was friendly with the UK, the USA, Russia, and Spain. While being somewhat neutral with France, the German Empire, Austria-Hungary, and the Two Sicilies.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Who was angered by this seizure of the means of production? Is anyone angry enough to go to war?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Who was angered by this seizure of the means of production? Is anyone angry enough to go to war?
None that we could detect. The game, sadly, lacks ways to find out information. Most decisions, to be honest, seem to be events and don't do much outside of your nation.

Reactions:
Victoria II - Japan
Chapter One Hundred-Seventy-Two - Seizing! All the Seizing!

2FPa7tcJ_o.jpg

In July the provinces of Hakodate and Ishikara upgraded their Railroad systems. Or created them. There was much rejoicing.

In July Edo also opened a new Liquor Distillery. And in August they opened a new Fabric Factory.

NRIOCJxe_o.jpg

And on the 10th of August it was decided to seize the foreign factories and businesses. Again.

mpxGionX_o.jpg

While this was happening the UK was still fighting, and winning, its war in Oman.

lScHnXLs_o.jpg

It was also noticed that the Chinese Empire or Realm. Realms? Whatever…was being rocked by a Civil War. Seems the Reactionaries were trying to take over. Maybe they were upset by how many times the Chinese had been defeated by the Russians?

JqGiUW71_o.jpg

Then, on September the 8th, the government seized the foreign factories and businesses. Again.

QM4sr9JI_o.jpg

And again in December. How many times would the government have to seize the foreign businesses and factories?

--------------------------​

Author’s Notes :

I can’t even FIND any foreign factories or anything like that within the Japanese Empire. I can only assume these decisions are for flavor.

• 1Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
How has Britain not won its war in Oman yet?

How are these foreign factories getting established so quickly? Do the foreign businesses have a spy in the government or something?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm caught up again, and the images are working for me again. Which is nice (and good thing it was only ever me).

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm caught up again, and the images are working for me again. Which is nice (and good thing it was only ever me).
Welcome back! I hope you are enjoying the story.

Victoria II - Japan
Chapter One Hundred-Seventy-Three - End Of The Year

ttQoGdv1_o.jpg

December was a interesting month. The UK was halfway through its war for Oman.

8z9ZblQa_o.jpg

And the Ottoman Empire had started a war with Ethiopia.

wijyaqEi_o.jpg

Seems the Middle East had been, and always would be, a center of conflict and anger. The Great Powers were turning it into just a another version of Europe.

Tmb3ZEIo_o.jpg

It was also noticed on the 10th of December that a small Fleet of Russian ships were off the coast of Brunei. Where were they going? Where had they come from?

YkNs5bxc_o.jpg

And near the end of December there was the seizing of foreign production! The people seemed to love it. The pitchforks, the torches, and the puppet shows had all become part of the tradition when seizing the production of foreign powers. No tradition like a new tradition you just made up.

Even at this point the older members of the Liberal Party were wondering what the heck was going on.

Are you in the sphere of influence of a great power?
Nope. I think I have become too powerful or advanced to be under a sphere of influence.

Nope. I think I have become too powerful or advanced to be under a sphere of influence.
If you aren’t a great power yourself, and I can see that you are not, then you absolutely could be placed under a sphere of influence. I suspect that you’re in the UK’s sphere of influence because one of the flags in that whole carousel they have under their name looks like it could be yours (at least it’s a white field). Otherwise, maybe that decision triggers if there’s a great power with friendly or cordial relations to you? I can’t remember the specifics of how that triggers, only that there’s some details in the red and gold question mark icon to the left of the checkmarks.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Poor Ethiopia. Will any European powers aid them against the Ottomans since they're fellow Christians?

Honestly, the "seizing of the means of production" is just absurd by this point. Are they just redefining "outsiders" in increasingly restrictive ways to justify seizing more factories and businesses? ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Honestly, the "seizing of the means of production" is just absurd by this point. Are they just redefining "outsiders" in increasingly restrictive ways to justify seizing more factories and businesses? ;)
What is the actual effect of the decision? Are there any actual gains, or does it just add some psychological effects to some pops?

• 1Like
Reactions: