• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I just hope that it will be historically/geographically accurate. That's my biggest gripe with HoI3. I'm super excited for this one - more excited than for Hoi3. The map is key to me.

I am hoping they use the HOI3 map or on very similar to it so that it will be a snap to continue your Victoria 2 game into HOI3. Or at least make it super easy for modders to do lots of creative things.

I just hope that it will be historically/geographically accurate. That's my biggest gripe with HoI3. I'm super excited for this one - more excited than for Hoi3. The map is key to me.
Well, considering how they weren't ever willing to say anything and still won't say anything about the incredible degree they fucked the HoI3 map up to, I doubt we'll see much change.

With the Clausewitz engine, there's no doubt we'll be seeing an accurate map some time for the game, maybe even within a year from today, but from modders, not Paradox.

More provinces = always better?

I dunno if any official statement has been made so far about the number of provinces&seazones for Vicky2.

HOI3 has - if I understand it right - 10k provs and additionally ca. 5k seazones?

What number would you find reasonable for Vicky 2: more, less, the same?

Personally I played EU: Rome a bit recently and found the map somewhat small, there could (IMO) be more provinces indeed. But I am not really sure if I'd like to have 10k or even more in a game even when it covers the whole world, and if that would really improve the gaming experience.

Thoughts/Comments/Flames?

I think the scale of the current Victoria map is pretty good. I think some places need to be reworked, and some more provinces added would be nice (more islands, for example), but I don't think it'd be effective to be on the same scale as HoI3.

I'd go with HoI 3 number - it has quite enough provinces that my hometown is in (and it's about 20.000 people). When playing minor nations, i prefer the 'feel' of still having plenty provinces to move in, rather than just several.

The old Vicky had a reasonable number of provinces (~2850, with, what, a third of that sea zones?). IMHO, a slight increase (say ~15%) would be sufficient, if placed well. And seeing how many people complain about the inaccuracy of the HOI3 map, I'd really rather have quality instead of quantity here.

Last edited:
Yeah, a small increase from V1, remember, this game is mainly about internal management, if Russia has the same amount of provinces that it does in HoI3, then it will be ridiculously tedious to play (depending on how the new pop system works).

More than Vicky 1 less than hoi3.

I'd like to see about 3000 to 4000 land provinces. That would allow for the inclusion of most German minors and for a better modelling of treaty ports in China. It would also make the Americas and Africa feel a bit more like Europe and avoid mega-provinces in the Amazon jungles and the American Midwest.

I don't think we'll get much less than 10000 provinces, though. They have the capability and they're going to use it. If nothing else it looks good on the backcover.

I just hope they're going to put more effort into getting names in Europe and North America right and make the provinces a bit more province-shaped and don't turn them into replacement hexes. Taking a page from OHgamer's Clio would be the right thing to do.

If they want to have 10000 provinces (which admittedly would make conversion to HOI3 somewhat easier), Clio can only be a start-off point. Given that it's a fan-made mod that might be available for free before Vicky 2 comes out, I guess PI doesn't want to mimic it too closely, anyway.

Though less provinces is easier to manage, it's worth noting that Paradox are going to implement many automations seen in HoI3 to make managing your empire a lot easier (and thus reducing micromanagement). The larger the number of provinces the more detailed the map can potentially be.

Saying that, with 10k provinces, and given the size of warfare in general during this period, I think it would be necessary to make the basic unit brigade sized. If not, then we could end up with provinces just left unoccupied if battles are going to be a realistic size (since divisions can only occupy one province, when IRL they were spread out over what would be, say, 3 or 4 provinces in-game).

In short, I think 10k provinces is a bit much for the Victorian time frame, though if it could be balanced to reflect on other aspects (i.e. the military) then it should not be a problem at all.

If they are plannig to be able to convert Vic2 to HOI3, I'll put my money on Vic2 having the same map as HOI3... Duh!!

Depends where they put the provinces. There's an upper limit to useful province density, especially with current interface systems, so I don't think cramming yet more provinces into Europe will help much. On the other hand, India and China are always under detailed in Paradox games, and adding more provinces there would help.

Although I suppose that would be more important in an EU-era game.