• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I like how oceans and seas were labelled in Victoria, and maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to label regions, maybe it could be a feature that could be turned on/off.

Ottoman Province of Habesh

Here's a beautiful 1860 Map of Egypt in German that shows the Ottoman Habesh province.

Suakin was the seat of Ottoman provincial governor Pasha with the names of the military / trade bases along the Western Coast Red Sea; Suakin, Massaua, etc. Check the colored inset below from the map I linked in my previous post for the Egyptian Ottoman borders.

egypt1857.png

In 1728, Ottomans managed to evict the last remnants of the Portuguese occupation from the Horn of Africa and along with the cities of Zeila , Berbera and Hargeisa they colonized northwestern Somalia. There are many Ottoman colonial buildings across the three cities. Western Somaliland and Hargeisa were part of the Habesh region of the Ottoman Empire. The region was colonised due to its strategic location on the Red Sea.

Ottoman grip on the region was fairly modest as they demanded a token tribute and appointed Ottoman officials to help govern the region and a Supreme Judge to enforce Ottoman Laws.

In 1875 Harar was invaded with the aid of Egyptian troops and added to the Habesh Province.

Suakin aerial view in 1900:

Axo-Site%20Plan

Ottoman colonial uniforms and local troops:

inkOspreyd58.jpg

PRE - 1860 OTTOMAN HOUSES IN SUAKIN

Shennawi Bey's House in the centre of the Souk, is typical of a wealthy merchants house of the early period. It has a large Diwan and an upstairs Harim Maglis with Roshan Windows overlooking the street.

House163-18854-5.jpg

Shennawi.jpg

Khorshid Effendi's House in Suakin is of the early Ottoman period and had a decorated Diwan, it may well have been the governor's residence.

H.H.Kitchener&House35-1889.jpg

Ottoman-map-Africa.jpg

Ok, this is too nice, I'm done here.

As pointed out, the map of the Netherlands in the mock up is correct for HOI3 but not for Victoria 2 as there was still the Zuiderzee in the XIXth Century. The polders and the dams that transformed that sea into a lake were only built after the period covered by the game. :cool:

I agree. Notice that it says 'Turkey', not 'Ottoman Empire' as well. Putting the names of the regions is fine, but the countries is a bit annoying (For example, I always hated how it said 'Soviet Union' in big letters on the HoI2 map, would've been fine if it said 'Russia').

No, because it's the Soviet Union, not Russia. Russia was just part of the Soviet Union. It drives my OCD wild when people refer to the USSR as Russia. :rofl:

Edit: Just saw your follow up post. Nevermind, that makes sense, lol.

No, because it's the Soviet Union, not Russia. Russia was just part of the Soviet Union. It drives my OCD wild when people refer to the USSR as Russia. :rofl:
You could argue that Russia is a geographic/cultural region, one which transcends the current national politics of the area.

I do hope their going to make the map look more realistic. Lots of provinces were stretched or mishapen in Victoria 1 and, being the map-fanatic I am, it really bothered me. Its kinda hard to describe what I'm talking about but alot of little things like, for example, Washington's northern border slants downward to the coast, Utah is really stretched, Texas is WAY outta line (compare it to a map and its obvious), Queensland (Australia) dosen't even have a southern panhandle section, its just a straight line from west to the coast, etc. Not to mention there's hardly a truly straight line anywhere in the entire game (just look at South Australia's boundaries in Victoria, they zig-zag all over the place!). Some countries aren't even recognizable in the game! Paraguay is the most infamous example, as it lacks the entire northern third of the country, which I'm assuming has to do with province boundaries :wacko:. I haven't seen the map for HOI3 but I heard somewhere that there are using the same map, is this true? If so does anyone have pictures or links of the HOI3 map?

I do hope their going to make the map look more realistic. Lots of provinces were stretched or mishapen in Victoria 1 and, being the map-fanatic I am, it really bothered me. Its kinda hard to describe what I'm talking about but alot of little things like, for example, Washington's northern border slants downward to the coast, Utah is really stretched, Texas is WAY outta line (compare it to a map and its obvious), Queensland (Australia) dosen't even have a southern panhandle section, its just a straight line from west to the coast, etc. Not to mention there's hardly a truly straight line anywhere in the entire game (just look at South Australia's boundaries in Victoria, they zig-zag all over the place!). Some countries aren't even recognizable in the game! Paraguay is the most infamous example, as it lacks the entire northern third of the country, which I'm assuming has to do with province boundaries :wacko:. I haven't seen the map for HOI3 but I heard somewhere that there are using the same map, is this true? If so does anyone have pictures or links of the HOI3 map?

The same map or the same engine? EUIII, Rome, and HOI3 all use the same engine, but have wildly different province borders. Since HOI3 has 10000+ land provinces, I'd kind of doubt they'd use it for Victoria 2, as a lot of that detail is to help make the WW2 style combat easier to simulate. Managing all those provinces in the kind of detail you have in the first Vicky would be nightmarish, even for the most diehard fan of micromanagement.
HoI3_61.jpg

This is a tiny section of the North American coastline. I think England alone (and I mean England, not England + Scotland) has something like 30+ provinces.

There's Greece on the mock map!!!! But it's not in Greece... :D

There was a thread called "1000's or 10.000's of provinces?" or something like that in which it was more or less confirmed that victoria would have a map similar, if not based on HoI3 with only minor changes

There was a thread called "1000's or 10.000's of provinces?" or something like that in which it was more or less confirmed that victoria would have a map similar, if not based on HoI3 with only minor changes

God help us...
micromanage.

here we go:

The map is based on the Hearts of Iron 3 map so it will roughly the same size.. However provinces will be moved about as regions that we considered less important in Hearts of Iron 3 become more important in Victoria 2 and vice versa.

I can confirm that we still see Capitalists building factories in Victoria 2, for me it was probably the best feature in Revolutions.

Though it has also been more or less confirmed that POPs won't be handled as hands on as they are in vicky (IIRC, someone should make a list of paradox statements)

I didnt mind the Capis building factories system but it did bother me that on many occasions they would continue to build Glass factories when it was either completely unecessary and/or late game when much better options were available.

It also bothered me when high tech factories were built in sparsely populated places...it made no sense- from a capitalists perspective they would surely build in a high population area...?

I reckon and i cant remember if ive said this before or just thought it, i reckon that a month or two before they release the game they should have a sub-board called MAPS and in it there would be a thread for each continent with a screenshot or province map so that people from those regions can go though and make sure they arent any serious errors as well so far they havent got new zealand once right and im sure the same is true with alot of other places as well but id not be the one to notice them and if they did that then everyone would be happy or atleast have democracy to blame.

The same map or the same engine? EUIII, Rome, and HOI3 all use the same engine, but have wildly different province borders. Since HOI3 has 10000+ land provinces, I'd kind of doubt they'd use it for Victoria 2, as a lot of that detail is to help make the WW2 style combat easier to simulate. Managing all those provinces in the kind of detail you have in the first Vicky would be nightmarish, even for the most diehard fan of micromanagement.
HoI3_61.jpg

This is a tiny section of the North American coastline. I think England alone (and I mean England, not England + Scotland) has something like 30+ provinces.

I seem to recall having read that they were basically using the Hearts or Iron III map with some limited modifications, for example removing Swedish provinces so as to have more American provinces.

I seem to recall having read that they were basically using the Hearts or Iron III map with some limited modifications, for example removing Swedish provinces so as to have more American provinces.

I sure hope they'll also make some other, hum, geography related improvements... (won't go into detail :p)

I assume even with loads of provinces, states will be far more important in Vicky 2 if that's where the factories are.
And if there's still once resource type per province it will hopefully mean more diversity in resource production.