• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
OOG Editors’ note: seriously, have you looked at his traits? Lustful, Vengeful, Selfish, Cruel, and Suspicious, Duke Alain is a real bastard. Almost an honorary Yngling.

Heh. Conversely, Olaf Yngling ended up Wise, Just, and Generous, which is what offset the Kinslayer trait enough for him to keep any vassals at all. A mere youthful indiscretion, surely! A rational church would not have held it against him, especially since he did atone no less than three times. With a 25% chance each time! Truly, the ways of the RNG are mysterious.

ulmont said:
Because the edit button doesn't light up a thread, I will: Lurken's first Dioclea AAR, one page back, has been expanded.
Thank you most kindly ulmont.

The story of Bohemia (Jan 3, 1088- Feb 28, 1099)
Beginning Stats
Date: Jan 1, 1094
Leader: Bratislava Premyslid the slow (1058-?)
Liege: Dietmar Von Franken
Titles: Duke of Bohemia, Silesia, Moravia, Franconia, Pomeralia, and Holstein, Count of Praha
Vassals: 16
Income: -2.59
Manpower: 22650
Martial: 19
Diplomacy: 24
Intrigue: 10
Stewardship: 12
Laws: Semisalic Primogeniture, Traditional Custom, Ecclesial Balance

End Stats
Date: Feb 28, 1099
Leader: Bratislava Premyslid the Lucky (1058-?)
Liege: Adolf Von Franken
Titles: Duke of Bohemia, Silesia, Moravia, Franconia, Pomeralia, lesser Poland, and Holstein, Count of Praha
Vassals: 23
Income: 2.28(188% growth) (Brittany 36.51) (Kiev 1.49) (Abghazia 18.20) (Carinthia 15.52) (Saxony -52.96)
Manpower: 31792(140.36% growth) (Brittany 23641) (Kiev 29858) (Abghazia 28838) (Carinthia 16480) ( Saxony 16665)
Martial: 17
Diplomacy: 30
Stewardship: 16
Laws: Semisalic Primogeniture, Feudal Contract, Ecclesial Balance

Goals:
1. Stay in HRE (yes)
2. Add lots of area of Poland (Yes)
3. Add Slupsk into my demesne (no)
4. And have fun (yes)

Well this weekend I saw to the death of Poland single handily. I grab all the titles I could from the excommunicated Polish king and declare war. I than grab all my vassals troops and my elite regiment of Praha troops. I put my all my army into 4 army groups. The group I had the regiments from area of Pomeralia lead by my duke’s brother Bavor Premyslid. Group I was to siege kalistie and then move to Sieradzko- Lecykie. Group II had the army of Opole, both Silesia, Liberec, and my elite Praha regiment and lead by my duke. Group II was to take Krakowskie and sandomierskie. Group III was formed up of the troops of Moravia, Pressburg, and Plzen. Group III were led by Bohuslav Premyslid and took the area of Cieszyn and Sacz. Group IV was made up of all the other lands not listed and their job was to move to Praha and protect it from enemy attack which didn’t happened. Once group I, II, III had finished taking the about land I made peace with Poland. With the new land I got I hastily set up new vassals to lower my bad boy, which was pretty high at this time. I also had my son marry a high level diplomat for me. I only had one vassal rebelled from me and then I switch my laws to Feudal Contract. I only have one vassal in the negative for loyal. I also talked to Kiev about working out a border agreement between us, which is still in the works.

Start map

End map

arr reward take sevetely wounded off of Hynek Premyslid

Last edited:
The Bagratuniad:

Winter 1088 AD, Dzhimara Crater:

Kvirike: You seem off.
Angel: -
Kvirike: Call it a feeling...
Angel: What does this have to do with the Roman War?
Kvirike: Let's just say when I get uneasy feelings from the glowing thing in the lake, wars don't seem so important.
Angel: I see.
Kvirike: Is this one of those problems I'm going to need a theologian to understand?
Angel: I am worried about my sanity.
Kvirike: Angels can be afflicted by demons too? I though y-
Angel: Ugh. This is so... Frustrating. Well, you're all I've got for the moment, so what I speak of you must swear to never repeat, not even to Gabriel, Elvira, or the rest of the inner circle.
Kvirike: Of course, it's not like I wouldn't be smited for blabbing anyhow.
Angel: You know that whole screwing up The Restoration thing? If you let this stuff slip, you wouldn't get smitten, because there would be no point. We'd already be screwed.
Angel: Ah.
Angel: Yes, "ah". Anyway, anyone who blames their problems on demons is an idiot. Not that the problems aren't real. But understand God is alot more creative than the people who write his scripture.
Kvirike: So what is your problem?
Angel: How would you feel if you had to sit in a crater, with none of your own kind to talk to, and no company except for a retarded puppy with poor bladder control. No, that's not even close. A puppy fetus. Retarded puppy fetus. Who I can only talk to by... Of course, I'm loosing you again.
Kvirike: You're lonely.
Angel: Yes, but that's just a symptom. I could do what I love, what I'm good at, for a million years and I'd be happy as a clam. It's this uncertainty. I didn't even know what your father was when I first met him, the best clue I have as to this context is the stories of a people who think that madness is caused by invisible demons, and if I get this wrong, even one wrong word, even to you, and well, there'd be no point is God smiting me either.
Kvirike: You fear that you may fail God.
Angel: Just so.
Kvirike: Hmm, it reminds me of something Bagrat once said to me: "God grants me the courage to face that which I cannot control, the patience to wait for a better day, and the prowess to dictate my own timetable."
Kvirike: -
Kvirike: That was the day I forced him to surrender Kajtatsikhe to me.
Angel: A subtle threat.
Kvirike: And good advice.
Angel: I am not so sure there will be a better day for me, however.
Kvirike: Yes, well, there wasn't for Bagrat either. But there doubtless would have been had he lived longer. Miriam would have gotten the others into line eventually, and, well, if I did it again, I would be more patient, it was only by the grace of God that I did so well.
Angel: So I should use my prowess to bring about a better day?
Kvirike: Just so.
Angel: Hmm, I think you aren't understanding the magnitude of the problem. I slip up, all of the men and women on Earth are dead as the dodo.
Kvirike: The what?
Angel: It's a very dead thing.
Kvirike: I got that much... Ugh. But you're missing the other part of my point. It's like fighting a battle. You can tell one regiment to go one way, and another regiment to go another, but when battle is joined, it's only by God's Grace that things turn out right. You just have to learn to let go, and deal with whatever bastard is in front of you.
Angel: Mmmm.
Kvirike: Hey! Where are you going!?
Angel: To deal with the bastard in front of me!
Kvirike: But, the Romans!
Kvirike: -
Kvirike: Fine, I'll fight them on my own!

-excerpt from the Secret Journals

[AN] If anyone was reading as I posted this, you'll notice that I changed which AAR I was posting, 'cuz of the dreaded writers' block, hope it didn't confuse anyone too much.

fasquardon

Last edited:
Aleksandr Rurikovich was having a bad day, not just any bad day, one of the worst ones yet. They had been so close to beating Pereslavyl once and for all, the squires and newsbringers shouted from the top of church towers of the Great "Victory" they had.

If only they knew the truth.

"Kyiv" as the realm was known as now, before it was Ryzaran, and before that it was Chernigov, now its Kyiv. Well, thats besides the point, wait, yob tvuyo mat! I'm getting confused again, he thought to himself. Anyways, he corrected himself, we barely staved off defeat it looked likea victory because Prince Davyd managed to steal some vassals from Pereslavyl. Other then that had we not gained the white peace we gained we most likely would have lost. Not only that but Aleksandr was facing a fairly important power struggle.

With Davyd's rise to power with the death of his father many alliances have broken and new ones between powerful and not so powerful nobles are being created. Aleksandr has the advantage of being Davyd's trusted advisor, but not all of his advice has been benefitial and took a combination of good reflexes on both his and Svyatoslav the former Prince of Kyiv's part to survive and grow strong from situations that would have left Kyiv-Chernigov devasted by his mistakes.

He had no choice now but to work even harder then he has before, to not only show Davyd that he is a useful advisor but is an indespinsible advisor. This will not be easy... Aleksandr thought grimly to himself, he may be more experienced now, he may be used to living in Russia of the middle ages, but now he was much older then he was when he first came here. He tires more easily, slowly and not quite as capable as his 23 year old self had been back then, he was still in his prime, he aged well, but he's nolonger the best.

He had however only one chance and one chance only to ensure that he can outpace his rivals, he would have to get Kyiv, the realm that he would forge into Russia into another war, once more with Pereslavyl.

Aleksandr Rurikovich put on his bear fur cloak wrapping it around him, he was already dressed roughly for Russian febuary weather and went outside, travelling through the winding streets of the city towards the Prince Rurikovich residence wihin the Chernigov Kremlin. There he strode into Davyds residence requesting a private audience.

He met Davyd face to face for the first time since the funeral, and reevaluated him. Davyd Rurikovich was of 44 years of age, his hair was only beginning to grey and possessed a rather large but well kept beard, he dressed in fashionable furs nade by local Byzantine merchants, he dressed and acted with dignity but also with a certain toughness and knowledge of what needs to be done, Davyd had spent much of his life campaigning battling bandits and fighting various pagan tribes. Davyd was finishing stamping his seal on some documents when he noticed Aleksandr's patient presence.

"Zdravstvujte, Count Aleksandr what have you ask of me?" He sounded tired, strained, from the stress of consolidating his power and control over Kyiv, but Alek wouldn't let that stop him, there was the bigger picture to consider.

"My Prince, I have come to inform you that the Principality of Pereslavyl has not recovered from their war with us and in fact are significantly weaker, while we with our gains are much stronger, one more war, one more strong kick and that Principality will come crumbling down. This summer is the oppurtune moment to strike-"

"Aleksandr, always my father has welcomed your wise counsel, for good or for ill you have done you best to guide us our family, and our realm. I will also continue this and listen to you." Davyd interrupted. "But, why should we throw more lives away, why should we burn more crops, and take over more lands to add to our own, what goal does this have? One has to wonder why you spend your life pushing for the expansion of the Kieven-Chernigih Principality at the expense of our neighbours? What and how will this all end?" Davyd asked.

"Davyd, my Prince, I do not offer this counsel for myself, I care nothing of this glory or lands and titles. I do not want it and at your request I will gladly give up the titles your father have bestowed upon me to prove my humility in this. I offer this advice because I am convinced that these courses of actions are the best, not just for your power and glory my Prince, but also for all of Rus' as a whole!" Aleksandr explained.

Davyd sat stunned for many moments, before asking cautiously. "All of Rus? What are you saying!?"

To which Aleksandr replied. "It is the destiny of the Russian people to unite under a strong Prince, to protect Rus from Muslem invaders, Pagan raids and Polish Hegemony, it is only a matter of time before the other realms and Kingdoms needing room to expand for living space turn to the great expanses of the east, only as a single unified kingdom can we as a people survive."

Davyd Rurikovich was stunned, he had never really considered the Polish or German Crowns as a threat to his people, and the more he thought of it the more it made sense. So Davyd asked. "So, because of this, you believe that by absorbing Pereslavyl we can protect our homeland?"

"Da, my Prince" Aleksandr bowed graciously, and contiued. "By removing Pereslavyl as our one final obstical from our path we can rally the remaining Princes to our banner, nothing will be able to stop you from proclaiming yourself King of Rus through strength of arms my liege."

Davyd slowly stood up and walked to the neighby window overlooking a moat and thought in seriousness for many moments. "Alright, Aleksandr Rurikovich, you have convinced me, I agree we can win this war, but what I needed was just cause and now I have it. Inform my Martial, we shall ride once more to war at the melting of the snows!"

Reward: Remove rebellious trait from Andrei count of Bryansk.

The Bagratuniad:

Winter 1094 AD, Dzhimara Crater:

Kvirike: Ah. You're back then.
Angel: Yes indeed. How did the Roman war go?
Kvirike: We lost.
Angel: Oh.
Kvirike: So what happened to the bastard in front of you?
Angel: Thoroughly scouted. Oh, and I got you a present. Well, several presents if you want to be precise.
Kvirike: Presents?
Angel: People. Probably relatives of yours, given the similar brain patterns. Should take some of the pressure off of you, give you more time to actually run the country.
Kvirike: What, people who can talk to you?
Angel: No-one can actually talk to me, but people I can safely listen to, yes.
Kvirike: You realise that is not a good present don't you?
Angel: Calm Kvirike. The mission is larger than whatever personal power you derive from the persuit of our common goals.
Kvirike: Say that again after your reckless actions get me deposed, Angel.
Angel: If it is only your personal power-base that depends on the mission, then we will fail soon enough even without a deposition. We must build a broad appeal to those who have the power to interfere in the plan, so that they have reasons not to interfere. Part of doing that, is having many hands capable of extending the reach of the Propheteocracy, and who have reasons to support you as the chief Propheteocrat. I have found the hands, now you must bind them into the Abghazian realm.
Kvirike: I understand. Where are these hands now?
Angel: No need to look around like that. They are not so swift as me. It will take some of them many years to make the journey. Build a monastery near Kutaisi to welcome them, where they may rest after their long journey, and, when they are able, send them to me. Those who return alive and bearing my word you will know are genuine.
Kvirike: It will be as you say, Angel.

-excerpt from the Secret Journals

fasquardon

Last edited:
The House of Vojislav

Petrislav the Great Vojislavljevic 1035 - 1105

In his last years, he was as powerful as he always even as the years started to toll on the Archduke of Vojislav. Still, he did not shirk down from vanquishing heathens. The first of his campaign was aimed to snuff out the scattered pockets of the pecheng pagans, who held land in the northen parts of Byzantium, of the lands of Turnovo. It was succesfull, but took years to complete, given the rough terrain and the dispersed armies and hold outs of the pechengs. But not only that, with most zeal, the Archduke sent and led a force aimed to liberate the Levant city of Tyrus, as to further strengthen the christians in the Holy Land, and to make it easier for the christian pilgrims on their journey to Jerusalem.

But Petrislav didn't stop there, he did never forget his claims on Zachlumia, however in recent years it has been showed that his claims was somewhat weak and most probably faked, so when the Duchy of Croatia decided to go their own way from the Kingdom of Croatia, Petrislav acted. By forcing the catholic duchess of Croatia from her castle, she was forced to recognize the Archdukes right to the land. Which gave him the right to reinstitute the ducal title of Croatia, as his own.

This would be to his last act of regalship, as Petrislav of Vojislav soon there after passed on, leaving his grandson Pavle Vojislavljevic, eldest son of Vlkan, eldest son of Petrislav. So Petrislav of House Vojislav would go down in history as Petrislav the Great, as he made so much during his long reign of 21 years. Though some advocated that he would be called Petrislav the Pious, which is in my opinion a much more suitible name, when compared what would come.

Pavle Vojislavljevic ???? -

Was a great military minded genious, and personally stood for many of the innovations of warfare that the Archdukeship of Dioclea saw during his reign. Even if was the military strategist of that time, he was very apt and matter of the court, even more so then his dead father Vlkan, yet even more then the old ruler Petrislav the Pious.

During his reign, especially the early years, he refrained from pursuing expansion, due to the somewhat bad reputation that the name of Vojislav have gotten during the time of Petrislav, even if Petrislav was very piuos his acts still soiled his name. However, when the countship of Temes broke of from the more and more fragmented Hungary under the Salamon the Heretic, Pavle saw a chance. Since he already controlled Bacs, if he also gained controll of Temes, he could try to forge yet one more ducal to House Vojislav...something he persued with force. He wrested control of Temes from under the hands of Salamon the Heretic, enabling him to forge the fifth ducal title to House Vojislav.

However, with Croatia looking even more weakly by the year, so the fragmenting Kingdom of Hungary and the weak Empire of Byzantium...House Vojislav is perhaps no longer the deer amongst the bear, wolf and lion...but perhaps the Lion amongst prey...

Last edited:
How Duke Alain Learned To Forgive

It was well known that Duke Alain was a hard and vengeful man, much given to savage rages when frustrated in his aims or simply when in his cups. That is, it was well known until Duke Alain appointed one Robert of Rennes, a wise and pious man, to be his chaplain. Father Robert took it upon himself to show Duke Alain the virtues of Christian forgiveness. He did so through using the virtues of Our Lord’s Prayer. This is the story.

Duke Alain had resolved to revenge himself upon his neighbour, Count Buwayh Almenara of Murcia, who had offended him. It chanced that, on the very evening when he had made this resolution, he heard that his enemy was to pass near his castle, with only a very few men with him. It was a good opportunity to take his revenge, and he determined not to let it pass. He spoke of his plan in the presence of his chaplain, Robert of Rennes, who tried in vain to persuade him to give it up. The good Robert said a great deal to the Duke about the sin of what he was going to do, but in vain. At length, seeing that all his words had no effect, he said, “My lord, since I cannot persuade you to give up this plan of yours, you will at least come with me to the chapel, that we may pray together before you go?” Duke Alain consented, and the chaplain and he kneeled together in prayer. Then the mercy-loving Christian said to the revengeful warrior, “Will you repeat after me, sentence by sentence, the prayer which our Lord Jesus Christ Himself taught to His disciples?” “I will do it,” replied the Duke. He did it accordingly. The chaplain said a sentence, and the Duke repeated it, till he came to the petition, “Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive them that trespass against us.” There the Duke was silent. “My lord Duke, you are silent, “ said the chaplain. “ Will you be so good as to continue to repeat the words after me, if you dare to do sо: ‘Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive them that trespass against us’?” “I cannot,” replied the Duke. “Well, God cannot forgive you, for He has said so. He Himself has given us this prayer. Therefore you must either give up your revenge or give up saying this prayer; for to ask God to pardon you as you pardon others is to ask Him to take vengeance on you for all your sins. Go now, my lord, and meet your victim. God will meet you at the great day of judgment.” The iron will of the Duke was broken. “No,” said he ; “I will finish my prayer. My God, my Father, pardon me; forgive me as I desire to forgive him who has offended me; ‘lead me not into temptation, but deliver me from evil.’” “Amen,” said the chaplain. “Amen,” repeated the Duke, who now understood the Lord’s Prayer better than he had ever done before, since he had learned to apply it to himself.

[OOG Note: The vassal breakaway event has a tendency to make my rulers a bit schizophrenic...vengeful, forgiving, vengeful, forgiving...]

Some Notes on the Development of the Nou Brezhoneg Language

The Breton conquest of the Pays-Reconquisa was, as one might expect, a defining moment in the development of the language of the Iberian peninsula, reversing some development trends that were hundreds of years old.
By 1066, eastern Iberia had begun to speak a language that could reasonably be called Catalan, as opposed to a dialect or variant offshoot of Occitan. Western Iberia spoke a number of related languages, including Castilian, Astur-Leonese, Galician-Portuguese, and Mozarabic (a collection of Romance languages written in Arabic script rather than the Latin alphabet). There were, of course, few clear dividing lines between the spoken form of all of these languages. Rather, the languages represented regional variations that grew more and more pronounced the further one moved from any arbitrary starting point, reaching unintelligibity after one moved sufficiently far away (usually, but not always, corresponding to political borders that hardened linguistic differences). Into this muddle of tongues rode the conquering Bretons.

The Breton nobility, while imperfectly assimilated[1] into French culture, were nonetheless at least partially multi-lingual. Generally speaking, the Bretons were required to speak French to their peers in neighboring regions, Latin to their clergy and to nobles from farther abroad, and Breton to their peasantry and bourgeoisie.

After establishing control over Eastern and Southern Iberia, the Bretons began to overlay French and Breton on top of the Mozarabic-Catalan-Castilian-Galician-Asturian-Leonese-Portuguese mess. This was not a deliberate policy (the deliberate policy was for the nobles to shout at their peasantry, who would then make themselves understood by whatever languages, signs, and kicks needed), but an organic process. The net result was that Celtiberian, or something like it, began to experience a resurgence.

After approximately a century of Breton rule, the new language, “Nou Brezhoneg,” had formed. Bretoiberian generally maintained the grammar and baseline structure of Catalan, but imported Arabic loanwords that had become part of Castilian and Mozarabic, and finally injected a large amount of Breton or Celtiberian vocabulary. As a result, by 1200 one might hear something like the following in the Breton Empire: “per la gras de doueed,” understood by all as “by the grace of God.”

[1] OOG Editors' Note: How imperfectly depends on which game you're playing and which mods you're using.

Brittany - 1099 to 1109

[Continued scattered notes. Language updated.]

As the Year of Our Lord, 1109, began, Duke Alain de Cournaille once again realized that he had failed. Indeed, certain of his goals were now further away than they had been at the turn of the last decade.

The Count of Tuadmumu no longer ruled the seven Canary Islands, it was true. Duke Alain did not, however, consider the Duke of Munster’s rule a significant improvement, and the King of Scotland still considered the Canaries part of his realm.

Worse yet, the counties of Tharasset and Hanyan had been inherited out of Duke Alain’s realm. True, it would be easy enough to reclaim Tharasset from the rump “kingdom” of the al-Murabitids, now reduced to merely ruling Tharasset and Beirut. The Duke in fact had over ten thousand men conveniently located nearby, currently prosecuting the Breton-Egyptian war with vigor, who might be turned on the al-Murabitids at any convenient future date. Hanyan, on the other hand, was now in the hands of Duke Bozywoj Piast of Mazovia, who was vassal to the King of Germany. Alain had no idea how or why Shujah Al-Ayyubi had left his lands to the Catholic Piasts of Polish Germany (or German Poland, depending on who was asked), but his lawyers had assured him it was legal and could not be revoked. With no hope of warring with Germany, Duke Alain resigned himself to imperfect control of Mauretania.

The Duke of Barcelona still pledged allegiance to France, and the Duke of Aquitaine had yet to revolt against France.

And Castile still held sway over part of Northern Iberia.

But, again, some progress had been made. Duke Alain’s rightful claims on the remainder of Iberia were recognized by the remainder of Christendom[1]. Some did grumble about the provenance of the claims, but when Duke Alain noted that the claims were valid under the well-known doctrine of “nerzh fer-se correcte,”[2] the grumbling generally quieted. And the war to prosecute those claims appeared to be going well.

The Crusade in Egypt was also going well, although Duke Alain had yet to decide exactly what to do with an expanse of desert held by Muslims far away from Iberia.

In the meantime, he would assemble learned clerics to Brittany, from there to be turned loose to proselytize in the newly-conquered lands.

[1] OOG Editor’s Note: Yes, really. Duke Alain has a claim on every single Iberian province not currently part of Brittany.
[2] Nou Brezhoneg for “might makes right.”

[AAR reward: assemble the following landless characters in Brittany:
Raymond of Penthievre from Penthievre;
Robert Pais from Lisboa;
Guy of Alcacer do Sal from Cebta;
Charles al-Somahdi from Annaba; and
Louis Ismail from Annaba. These guys are nothing special (especially Louis Ismail), but they were all ecclesiastically educated.]

So this is a treaty that I was writing with Hyme, I kinda got carried away and made it 600 words or so. Could we use this to get the aar reward Field of the Cloth of Gold. I would like Kaliskie transfered to hyme, keeping my eldest son Count of Rugen while receiving from hyme the County of Holstein and the title of Duke of Holstein.

His Most Serene Highness, Ludwig Billung, Duke of Saxony, Brunswick and Courland, Lord of the Northern Marches, Most Christian, Lord Protector of Lithuania, Arch-Marshal to the Most Holy Roman Emperor greets and wishes felicitations to His Most Serene Highness, Bretislav Premyslid, Duke of Bohemia, Franconia, Holstein, Lesser Poland, Meissen, Moravia, Silesia and Pomeralia, Margrave of the East, Defender of the Faith, Regent of Poland, Arch-Cupbear to the Most Holy Roman Emperor.

Recognizing the sacred oath conferred upon receiving the oath of Fealty, and acknowledging the truth that such an oath may best be fulfilled only with proximity, Saxony would have Bohemia take upon itself the noble duty of administering to the nobility of Kaliskie all honors and privileges due them and accepting from Saxony’s hand the oath and duty that bind this nobility to him. As well, Saxony offers the title of Count of Kaliskie to Bohemia to better administer to these men and to hold their respect for their new, honored lord. Saxony would also confirm all rights of taxation to Bohemia, now held for him by his son, the Count of Rugen. So too, we offer the right of investiture in all Monasteries and Bishoprics in these lands, for Saxony still holds these ancient noble rights, ancestral and secure rights lost only in recent memory to the Bishop of Rome. We commend to Bohemia these rights and privileges with the full security of knowledge that all shall be justly enacted and that no great burden shall suddenly inflict those once loyal to our noble name. These oaths and rights constituting the whole of our interest in this County, we offer it all to Bohemia for the better protection thereof.

Saxony accepts the offer from Bohemia to the rights and titles of the County of Holstein, to be given to our son, Rugen, in recompense for his forfeiture of his fief of Kaliskie. Such rights and titles we offer to him with the fullness of understand of his continued loyalty and support, governed most wisely by his designation as inheritor of our realm, for though his brothers shall not go for want, it is our desire, divinely decreed, that he of the eldest of all our offspring should be appointed heir to our many honors that we have received, thanks to God’s own grace and unwarranted recognition of our own poor talents. As well, for our son, Rugen, we accept to hold for him in perpetuity until that time we join the ranks of those deceased and where our own unworthy soul shall be presented before the great mercy of the risen Christ, the title of Duke of Holstein.

We shall hold this title for the good of the one true Christian church, whose light only recently spread north to the once pagan swamps and bogs. For, the reception of this title and the addition to all of our other transient worldly glory shall add to our most sacred duty of aiding those who decry the Lord to reenter his fold. For those who are called Danes, sharing our northern border with them, having accepted the light of God, have rejected once again, if not in their words, than in their hearts and actions. As the doctors of the Church have counseled love towards those who have not yet know the faith, the command vengeance against those who accept the communion then reject its sacred bonds. We hope this acceptance of this new titles and its obligations shall cause those who have fallen into sin to examine their ways and repent, for it is only through gracious acceptance of holy mercy that any may enter into the kingdom of God.

Signed,
Duke Ludwig Saxony, Anno Domine 1109

carillon said:
So this is a treaty that I was writing with Hyme, I kinda got carried away and made it 600 words or so. Could we use this to get the aar reward Field of the Cloth of Gold. I would like Kaliskie transfered to hyme, keeping my eldest son Count of Rugen while receiving from hyme the County of Holstein and the title of Duke of Holstein.

His Most Serene Highness, Ludwig Billung, Duke of Saxony, Brunswick and Courland, Lord of the Northern Marches, Most Christian, Lord Protector of Lithuania, Arch-Marshal to the Most Holy Roman Emperor greets and wishes felicitations to His Most Serene Highness, Bretislav Premyslid, Duke of Bohemia, Franconia, Holstein, Lesser Poland, Meissen, Moravia, Silesia and Pomeralia, Margrave of the East, Defender of the Faith, Regent of Poland, Arch-Cupbear to the Most Holy Roman Emperor.

Recognizing the sacred oath conferred upon receiving the oath of Fealty, and acknowledging the truth that such an oath may best be fulfilled only with proximity, Saxony would have Bohemia take upon itself the noble duty of administering to the nobility of Kaliskie all honors and privileges due them and accepting from Saxony’s hand the oath and duty that bind this nobility to him. As well, Saxony offers the title of Count of Kaliskie to Bohemia to better administer to these men and to hold their respect for their new, honored lord. Saxony would also confirm all rights of taxation to Bohemia, now held for him by his son, the Count of Rugen. So too, we offer the right of investiture in all Monasteries and Bishoprics in these lands, for Saxony still holds these ancient noble rights, ancestral and secure rights lost only in recent memory to the Bishop of Rome. We commend to Bohemia these rights and privileges with the full security of knowledge that all shall be justly enacted and that no great burden shall suddenly inflict those once loyal to our noble name. These oaths and rights constituting the whole of our interest in this County, we offer it all to Bohemia for the better protection thereof.

Saxony accepts the offer from Bohemia to the rights and titles of the County of Holstein, to be given to our son, Rugen, in recompense for his forfeiture of his fief of Kaliskie. Such rights and titles we offer to him with the fullness of understand of his continued loyalty and support, governed most wisely by his designation as inheritor of our realm, for though his brothers shall not go for want, it is our desire, divinely decreed, that he of the eldest of all our offspring should be appointed heir to our many honors that we have received, thanks to God’s own grace and unwarranted recognition of our own poor talents. As well, for our son, Rugen, we accept to hold for him in perpetuity until that time we join the ranks of those deceased and where our own unworthy soul shall be presented before the great mercy of the risen Christ, the title of Duke of Holstein.

We shall hold this title for the good of the one true Christian church, whose light only recently spread north to the once pagan swamps and bogs. For, the reception of this title and the addition to all of our other transient worldly glory shall add to our most sacred duty of aiding those who decry the Lord to reenter his fold. For those who are called Danes, sharing our northern border with them, having accepted the light of God, have rejected once again, if not in their words, than in their hearts and actions. As the doctors of the Church have counseled love towards those who have not yet know the faith, the command vengeance against those who accept the communion then reject its sacred bonds. We hope this acceptance of this new titles and its obligations shall cause those who have fallen into sin to examine their ways and repent, for it is only through gracious acceptance of holy mercy that any may enter into the kingdom of God.

Signed,
Duke Ludwig Saxony, Anno Domine 1109
I Bretislav Premyslid, Duke of Bohemia, Franconia, Holstein, Lesser Poland, Meissen, Moravia, Silesia and Pomeralia, Margrave of the East, Defender of the Faith, Regent of Poland, Arch-Cupbear to the Most Holy Roman Emperor do solemnly place my seal upon this treaty.

Last edited:
carillon said:
So this is a treaty that I was writing with Hyme, I kinda got carried away and made it 600 words or so. Could we use this to get the aar reward Field of the Cloth of Gold.

I think this counts as an AAR, it's fairly entertaining, and provides us with some useful information on the worldview of the Saxons.

fasquardon

The story of Bohemia
(Feb 28, 1099- Feb 19, 1109)
Beginning Stats
Date: Feb 28, 1099
Titles: Duke of Bohemia, Silesia, Moravia, Franconia, Pomeralia, lesser Poland, and Holstein, Count of Praha
Vassals: 23
Income: 2.28
Manpower: 31792
Martial: 17
Diplomacy: 30
Stewardship: 16
Laws: Semisalic Primogeniture, Feudal Contract, Ecclesial Balance

End Stats
Date: Feb 19, 1109
Titles: Duke of Bohemia, Silesia, Moravia, Franconia, Pomeralia, lesser Poland, Holstein, and Meissen, Count of Praha, Weimar and Pressburg
Vassals: 20
Income: 8.10(355.26% growth)
Manpower: 2967(-1071.51% growth)
Martial: 19
Diplomacy: 22
Intrigue: 11
Stewardship: 15
Laws: Semisalic Primogeniture, Traditional Custom, Ecclesial Balance

Goals:
1. Stay in HRE (yes)
2. Add Slupsk into my demesne (no)
3. And have fun (yes)
4. Keep realm together (I did, the ai didn’t)

Start map
feb281099ad9.jpg

End map
feb191109np8.jpg

Well most of my time playing to today I was trying to keep my vessel in order. Have really bad bad boy from get the king title from before. So I changed to Feudal Contract and a married one of my youngest son to a level 19 diplomat. Than Meissen rebelled from Germany and I declare war upon her and send my forces of Praha and Plzen. I finished the war in no time at all and got the duke and count title of Meissen. So had to leave so I left the game to the ai which really messed things up, but everything seems to be in order now. I have a treaty with Duke Ludwig Saxony that give him the duke title and count title of Holstein for Count of Kaliskie.

arr reward Field of the Cloth of Gold

Tribulations

"At first the war was going well, the Pereyaslavl was being driven back, its armies crushed..." Said a worried and elderly man.

"And then what happened?" Said a more youthful voice.

"Then the Crown Prince of Pereyaslavl died and the county of Lyubec declared itself the legitimate successor to Prince Grigorii Rurikovich the Elder." Said the old man.

"ooooooh, trouble isn't? What you do with the bugger?" Said the youthful voice again, inquisitively.

The old man, paused collecting his thoughts, then reached into his bag and pulled out his journal. "Over a decade ago... through my eyes..." he mumbled as he reached the proper page.

"Da, there was much confusion and negotion giving Pereyaslavl the time it needed to recover and marshall its forces, the lull also gave them a chance to probe the members of Davyd's court, there was a coup Davyd Rurikovich was killed by the assasins, Yurii died in the field of battle as Pereyaslavl attacked in full force across the border, he thought them, he thought them with every ounce of his brilliance and delayed them for a whole week, giving us time to marshall resistence to both the invasion and stage a counter coup." He said quite flushed as the memories came back to him.

"Encredible" Said a far more tonal voice, "So much... what then?"

The older man spoke "I gathered as much of the Prince's family as I could that was in danger and sent them under my own personal guard to Georgia. I stayed behind to aid in the fighting."

"Or I was going to, but the enemy attacked in force, the conspirators men and I was forced to go with the Princlings to Georgia, there I negotiated with Prince Kvirike Bagratuni, nice guy very jolly."

"The Georgian Prince honored our alliance and immediately gathered a large force of men at arms and marched to war to our aid. It was a long fight, lasted nearly 3 years, the conspirators were hunted down and killed within a month of the coup but the war with Pereyaslavl dragged on, many thousands died on the field of battle, thousands more through starvation as fields were burned. Vasilii had with the fleeing of the Princlings the Duma declare himself Crown Regent until leadership can be properly settled."

"Pereyaslavl was soon defeated and incorperated into the Principality of Smolensk. That was when I returned with Yaroslav Rurikovich, Rauha, and Georgi the Three Princes of Russia as they were beginning to be called back then..."-- TARDIS transcripts between the Doctor, Aleksandr Yuri and one other.

As a reward I want Rauha Rurikovich age 20, Yaroslav Rurikovich age 18, and Georgi Rurikovich age 8 moved from Principality of Abghazia to the Court of Prince Vasilii of Smolensk.

Last edited:
Whew! Just finished the "Great Game" from the starting two Ynglings in CK to the final nuclear war that seemed to devastate much of Europe... and it was one hell of a read. Now, I've got all of the Paradox EU series games (from CK to Armageddon), however unfortunately I'm in a rather transitional part of my military career, which means I don't have access to my computer for another few months (hence the unfortunate hiatus in my TRP Germany AAR). However mid-May I would be happy (and able) to start to sub when I get the weekends off... and in the meantime I'm definitely going to subscribe to this AAR.

lwarmonger said:
However mid-May I would be happy (and able) to start to sub when I get the weekends off... and in the meantime I'm definitely going to subscribe to this AAR.

You'd be welcome, and it's always nice to know we have fans. I'm just glad the organisation of my front-page wasn't too offputting :D .

fasquardon

December 14th, 1100
Viken, Norway

By downtime standards, Geir was old; and his bones agreed with the local verdict. Log houses lit by open fires did not make for graceful aging, nor did campaigning in open ships and winter weather. So December found him in front of the fireplace in his manor - a much-copied innovation; he could only hope stone chimneys weren't on the list of things that would benefit Europe and not Norway - writing, slowly, a letter to his sons. As he grew older, he longed more and more for the machines of his youth, things he hadn't thought of in more than thirty years; sometimes he wondered if he were merely dreaming, retreating into a senile old age by inventing wondrous devices to do the things he could not. At such times he was glad to see Anja, to speak with her of the things only they, in all the world, knew of, and restore his faith in his own mind. But most days he found it best to avoid her; to cement her anomalous stature as a fighting woman, she had attracted a band of rough near-outlaws, younger sons and rebellious daughters, men escaping the law in their upland villages, people whom even loose Norwegian society only just tolerated, and who thus had little to lose from attaching themselves to a woman with wild ideas. Geir had done his recruiting among respectable elder sons and the upper classes, and there was often friction between their bands - especially now that his sons did the active fighting; they did not understand why he still valued Anja's friendship.

So Geir was surprised when Ragnar, his youngest son, brought Sigurd to see him; Olaf's son, reacting against his father, was firmly under Anja's thumb and in her faction. They exchanged the polite greetings of warrior-class men, which Geir got these days mainly by courtesy; there was only so much training and will could do with sixty-year old bones, but men still remembered Man-biter, and feared his sons. Then Sigurd got down to business: "I have come to ask you to stand at my side when I go to an island with Narve Ketilson."

Geir raised his brows. "Holmgang has been forbidden out of living memory. Why do you want to break your father's law?"

"As to that I will keep my own counsel; it is only on Anja's advice that I came here to ask you. Will you stand by me? She seemed to think you would, but perhaps she was mistaken."

Geir thought about it. He understood now: Anja was seeking to re-establish the duel as a legitimate means of settling disputes for the warrior caste, which was one of their objectives in the downtime. She was early; duels were dangerous, and they weren't supposed to introduce them before there was a large Yngling population that could take the occasional loss. But Anja had never been one to take kindly to being thwarted, and Olaf's judgement against her still rankled. No doubt she had egged Sigurd on in whatever teenaged quarrel he was having with Narve; in fact, knowing her, she'd probably been encouraging both sides. It was clever, too: If the King's own son fought in a holmgang, surely Olaf would not enforce the law; and if he didn't do so, that would be a chink through which other duels could slip. And likewise, if Geir Jonsson, who was well respected - a name-strong man, as they said - supported the duel by standing at Sigurd's side, and spoke against enforcing the law in the Ting afterwards, then the breach of custom would become all the more acceptable. Geir nodded mentally in respect for Anja's machinations; she wasn't a nice woman by any means, but she did have brains. And not much respect for plans and schedules laid out in vanished uptime documents, apparently. What next, steam engines? Still, duels were necessary to a free people...

"It is not fitting to support a man without knowing the rights of the matter. Speak your grievance, or go home without my promise."

Sigurd flushed. "Very well, then! Narve has given me insult to my face; he has spoken ill of Gunnhild because she would not sleep with him; and he taunts that I dare not face him, but hide behind my father's skirts."

Geir nodded again to himself; as he had thought, a typical winter quarrel brought on by boredom and darkness. Without Anja to blow on the embers, it would have come to a fistfight, or at most drunken knife-fighting and some blood drawn. It was no good reason for a duel, even by the prickly standards of uptime Ynglings - though in fairness, few uptimers would have tested the matter by giving insult in such a fashion; they were usually a polite lot, of necessity if not by choice. But for establishing the principle that duels might be fought, well, that was another question entirely. It was a good cause. Free men needed duels, needed the ultimate sanction of violence against another's actions, or they were not free at all, but puppets of wealth and politics.

Anja had the right of it; but something in Geir rebelled. He looked more closely at Sigurd. The boy was clearly angry; in his eyes Geir saw the old, wild fire that he had glimpsed thirty years before in Olaf, the Yngling greed that would look at the Sun and say "Mine!", and kill any who got in the way. Anja had perhaps not needed to encourage him very much. But underneath that... underneath, Geir saw a deep unhappiness, a desperate hope that Geir would somehow get him out of this. Sigurd and Narve had been friends once, Geir recalled; and might be again if this quarrel could be healed. Probably they were both unsure how things had come to be so bad between them, and looking for some way to back down without losing face. Abruptly Geir made up his mind; duels were important, but they were not worth making a decent young man kill his friend over some harsh words spoken in winter.

"That is no good reason for a holmgang; a killing is a serious matter. They say in Ting sometimes, "He fell on his own deeds"; but I have yet to hear it said "He fell on his own words". But this I will do: If you and Narve come here tomorrow, I will hear your quarrel, if you both are willing, and try to heal it."

Sigurd blinked; arbitration by powerful third parties was a common way to settle disputes, and he would no doubt have thought of it himself if not for his hormones confusing him; Geir could practically see him thinking "Now why didn't Anja suggest that?" He wasn't stupid, for all he was confused by pride and youth; in a day or two it would no doubt occur to him that the advice of women who wanted him to fight might not be completely disinterested - though Anja's motives would probably remain a closed book. With a bit of luck, he might even be disentangled from Anja's faction and come over to Geir's... Liberals? With a start Geir realised that he and Anja had indeed recreated the old Liberal/Radical split from their uptime politics, both agreeing on the ends they wanted, but with the Liberals unwilling to use certain means. Geir wanted a nation of free people of his own blood, well and good; but - his resolve firmed - he was not willing to use young Sigurd as a pawn to achieve that end. It is intolerable, he thought with dark humour. It shall not stand.

Sigurd had been thinking it over; the anger in his face was mingled with hope now. "I think it is perhaps too late for that; but it is well spoken. I will try it."

December 15th, 1100
Viken, Norway

They had been arguing for an hour when Anja arrived. Geir could feel them making progress; hearing their grievances spoken out loud, in the presence of others not inclined to egging them on, both boys were realising how petty their feud actually was, and wondering how they could have thought it worth killing for. He hadn't really had to do anything other than give them a pretext for settling things sensibly; another hour or so, and he'd be able to make a judgement of an "Some fault on both sides; shake hands and make up" nature, and both would accept it. That was when Anja joined the proceedings.

She was not being subtle; as she passed down the benches towards Geir, every male in the room reacted to her presence. Only Geir realised that she was fighting unfair; the pheromones she was exuding couldn't be smelled at the conscious level, but she must have practically bathed in the stuff. Even Geir felt the effect, a rushing fight-flight-sex fizz through his old veins. The downtimers, younger, and unaware of what was causing their reaction, stirred restlessly on their benches, excited; Geir could feel the mood shift from reconciliation and politics to mating struggle. Here and there hands shifted to daggers, and wetted lips unconsciously drew back from teeth. Just walking down the room, drenched in her uptime technology, Anja had shifted the battlefield from the rational forebrain, back to regions where the old ape ruled, where tooth and claw determined who should keep all the females to himself, and who be thrown out of the pack to eke out an existence among the lions. It was a very Yngling thing to do, an appeal to older rules of power and status, and Geir could only applaud the maneuver while watching helplessly as the two factions again congealed into hostility.

Even so, it was a gamble. If Geir were to cry 'witch' at this moment, every male in the room would believe him utterly, and leap to the attack. In doing so he'd break the continuity of Yngling manipulation of the timeline; whoever arrived in 1116 would be making his own way. But Anja couldn't know whether he'd consider that more important than winning the issue at hand. And even without that, the fighting instinct was a dangerous weapon; she might turn Sigurd against Narve again, yes - she was already doing that - but humans are not machines controlled by their hormones. A bright lad, able to see past his reaction to her presence even for a moment, to realise what she was doing and warn the other, could undo the entire scheme. But Anja seized her initiative perfectly; before anyone could react at an intellectual level, she went on the attack.

"Is this how a man of the west fights?" The question was addressed to Narve, who flushed. Officially he was a fosterling at the King's court, here to learn how a real ruler did things. Unofficially, he was a hostage for his father's good behaviour; after the western rising early in his reign, Olaf was not inclined to take things on trust. Narve disliked being a pawn in that struggle, and he disliked even more that his side had lost the war. Disparaging western fighting strength was going straight for the jugular; Anja was pulling no punches today.

Before he could respond, she turned to Sigurd: "I'm not surprised to see a king's son fight thus. But I thought better of you." That was again going for the throat; if there was anything Sigurd hated, it was being thought to take advantage of being the King's son, or hiding behind his father.

Even so, there are few men who will go swiftly from talking to fighting. Much uptime training was devoted to removing the hesitation to kill, to make young Ynglings able to switch instantly to fighting mode and land a deadly blow in the few tenths of a second while an opponent was still making up his mind. But neither Sigurd or Narve had had that training, and they both hesitated, hands on swords, breathing heavily but eyeing each other warily. Nobody likes taking on another strong warrior in a fair fight. Anja needed something more, a final provocation to cut out rational hesitation and make the hindbrain take over. She provided it swiftly, building on her momentum: "Outside is a circle of ox-hide. I will go out of this old man's house; and if there is any man here who is not a coward, he will follow me, and fight for his rights." She turned and began walking to the door, swaying slightly. It hung in the balance for a moment. Geir rose to his feet, shouting "Hold!" - Anja's effect was diminishing as the distance increased, her gamble might still fail - and then some idiot in the rear tipped it over by rising and beginning to chant, "Narve! Narve!" That settled it; the room erupted in the shouts of the factions, and both boys began walking down the aisle after Anja, towards their weird.

*********************************​

The fight was brief. The boys had taken their positions in the ox-hide circle, and drawn swords at Anja's command. Neither tried any clever feints; they both sprang forward, shields first, just as they had been trained - shield-wall tactics, not meant for a duel, but effective enough for all that. The shields met with a boom, and both boys staggered, off balance; Sigurd recovered first, and thrust his sword into Narve's lung, fatally uncovered for a moment as his shield arm drooped. Narve fell, despair and shock and a complete loneliness on his face; but with his last breath he managed to swing at Sigurd, who was too elated to keep his guard up properly. The sword bit deeply into his thigh, cutting across the grain of the muscle. Sigurd fell too, an equal surprise on his face, and their respective followers rushed forward to tend them. Narve spoke no last words, as in saga; only an undignified struggle to breathe through a punctured lung, and a rattle of blood on the lips.

December 16th, 1100
Viken, Norway

The King's hall was grim; usually the fires and lamps made it fairly well-lit and cheerful by downtime standards, even in winter, but now Olaf's dark mood was infecting everyone. The King was not a safe man to get on the wrong side of. Besides, nobody liked to see young men of good family killed in senseless quarrels.

"I have heard", Olaf said heavily, "how Anja Sigridsdatter has egged both Sigurd and Narve to fight, and taunted them with cowardice when they refused. And I see that she has not come before me today to hear my judgement, but fled in the dark of night. Let her self-judgement stand, then: She is henceforth outside the law of Norway, forbidden to stand on its soil, to be dealt with as wolves are."

He drew a deep breath, and continued, pain in his voice; this was his own son he was pronouncing judgement on, and it did not come easy. "But not all blame in this matter lies with Anja. Holmgang is forbidden in Norway; that is the law of the land, and it applies to every man. I judge that Sigurd Olafsson shall pay triple were-gild in this matter to the family of Narve Ketilsson. And further, he is banished from Norway. I will have no man-killers in my realm. That is" - he frowned, took another deep breath - "my judgement." Another deep breath, and another, and lines of pain were scoring his face; he clamped both hands to his left breast, and looked at Geir, appealing. "Geir - help me." He collapsed forward out of the throne.

Olaf was a hard man, and in splendid shape; an uptime hospital could have saved him easily, and given him many more years of life. But Geir had none of the equipment for that; all he could do was ease the pain, as the King's heart slowly died. There was time to dictate a testament, leaving the kingdom to Sigurd's son Einar, with Geir as Chancellor to rule until Einar's majority. There was time to speak to Sigurd, to reconcile father and son. There was time to say farewell to his wife, and to his grandchildren. Time enough for many important things. But in the end, as for all men, there was no time at all.

OOC: You may recall that my roleplay requires me to take all the 'get-a-rival' choices in events, and allow all the resulting duels. I paid the price when my heir got himself into one of these things, and ended up with a Serious Wound that killed him after a few years of rule. Now his young son Einar Sigurdsson is on the throne of Norway; and he is most unlikely to allow any duels, for he knows well how his father died.

Anja is banished from the Realm, and Geir is feeling the Grim Reaper's hand on his shoulder. The next Yngling to arrive at Dovre may find himself without anyone to greet him.

If anyone would like to chronicle Anja's arrival at their own court, and tell what happens to her there, that might be interesting. PM me with your plan for her if you think she might add anything to whatever intrigues you are running. If not I'll keep her in reserve for later; a banishment isn't necessarily for life, and anyway it's not as though Norway has good border controls at this point.

fasquardon said:
You'd be welcome, and it's always nice to know we have fans. I'm just glad the organisation of my front-page wasn't too offputting :D .

fasquardon

I like the organization of the front page, otherwise sorting out the AAR (as it is done by so many) would be pretty difficult.

Are you going to be converting to EU 3 or EU 2 for the 1419-1836 time period?