• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Set immediately after this, the meeting between the future Evstati I (then Batonishvili, literally "a son of the lord" in Georgian, the title for the children of a reigning lord), and the Chinese time-agents, is an important turning point. It would enable the Prophetei to uncover the true nature of Anja Sigridsdatter, which in turn would lead to her defection. The information superiority the Angel and its Prophetei allies gained through events in 1121 is one of the single most important factors in the time-war.

The Bagratuniad:

Neglinnaya River Bridge:

October 6, 1121
Moscow

Burudukan found it strange walking through the city, so new most of the buildings were still little more than skeletal fingers in sleeves of scaffolding. She remembered up-time Moscow, a ancient, scarred virago of a city, festooned with granite monuments to the heroes of the Liberation War, each one eulogised by chattering tour guides as their flocks of Burgundian and Chinese tourists listened rapt... No Chinese here now, or Burgundians, and maybe there never would be. She shook her head, either the Norwegians were incredibly brave, or incredibly stupid. Almost 30 years of direct experience taught her that butterflies did indeed wield great power in this strange time-war they were fighting, with every wing-beat marking the rise and fall of empires her history had never even heard of.

"Hallo Aleks!" Raising her hand to greet her comrade.

He turned from where he was leaning over the railing, raising his own hand in return. "Good evening, Buru, won't you join me." He waited until she was beside him before he continued. "So they let you out for the coronation then?" His voice coloured by mock surprise.

"It's a nunnery, not a prison Aleks." Suddenly remembering how much his sense of humour had annoyed her back on the Zheng He’s Dream. In some ways, Aleksandr Yuri would always be that arrogant physicist, but in others, well, they'd come a long way together, and down-time had changed them both.

They were both quiet for a while, watching the stars and listening to the sounds of after-coronation revelry.

"Are you sure you don't want to stay?" She asked, eyes still skywards. "You know, to die among your people." And your friends, but she did not say that aloud.

She could hear the smile in his voice. "I think if your Georgians have taught us anything, it's the power of a mysterious death. Arthur to Avalon and all that rot." He sighed. "When I was younger, I would have loved that..."

She grunted in what might have been agreement.

Aleks looked up at the moon. "Where are the others? They should have been here by now..."

"No doubt more instability in the time-vortex. I wouldn't worry, the alien has made all the appointments before..."

He sighed. "It was much easier not to worry when a couple years difference in the landing time wasn't a life or death prospect... Bloody Norwegians, this is all their fault."

Not having any reassurance, she looked away. Then, stood bolt upright, electric twinges of alarm surging up her spine. "Aleks." She hissed. "We have company."

[TBC]

fasquardon

Author's note: this will be the last episode of the Bagratuniad for the forseeable future. It is simply not economical to continue writing them.

Continued from: Part 1

The Bagratuniad:

Neglinnaya River Bridge:

October 6, 1121
Moscow

He turned, following her gaze at the lean figure ambling its way toward them.

"Batonishvili Evstati, what a pleasant surprise." Aleks called, his tone not reflecting the warmth of his words.

"Lord Aleksandr, Lady Burudukan." Giving them both nods of acknowledgement. "Enjoy the coronation?"

"It was a triumph for the Russian people." She said, parroting the official line, wishing to God the foreign prince would pick up the hint and amble off before the time-ship materialised in front of him.

"Indeed. One Russian people, united under their father, the Tsar..." The downtimer said, tasting the words. "You people have some fascinating ideas. We will find it interesting to see what these new 'Russians' think of them." He continued in a seemingly casual tone.

"I hardly think the ancient Russian people are new..." Aleks said, bristling at the insult.

"Ancient? In some ways I suppose. But it's not like they think of themselves as 'Russian' is it? Vargarians, East Polans, Derevlians, Dulebes, Kviriches, Dregoviches, Radmiches and Severians yes, but 'Russian' is new. Almost too new, when I think about it..."

Burudukan silently swore to herself, an action she was sure Aleks would be mirroring. A suspicious downtimer was the last thing they needed at this moment. As if to punctuate their misfortune, the screech-clunk of the alien time-ship's landing began at that very moment.

Evstati, obviously surprised by the noise whirled around and...

"Burudukan, why is he looking into the sky?" Aleks whispered, as the screech-clunk behind them grew louder.

"I have no idea Aleks, but you'd better back toward the time-ship. His guardsmen aren't so far away if they start running down the bridge." Her eyes unconsciously flitting toward the foreign dignitary's honour guard, fidgeting at the terminus of the bridge. Curiouser and curiouser. The noise would carry well in the clear night air, yet they were not reacting. That meant that either they were more used to strange noises where none should be, or they had orders. Either way it was bad.

"Batonishvili Evstati, I think you have some explaining to do." She said, the time-ship's final "clunk" serving to punctuate her demand.

The Batonishvili, looking over her shoulder at the now solid alien vessel, said: "Well, this greatly simplifies things."

[Probably Not To Be Continued]

fasquardon