• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hundhedning

Captain
59 Badges
Nov 28, 2006
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Imperator: Rome
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • For the Motherland
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Age of Wonders
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings Complete
Pagans!
A mod for all heathens out there​
The goal of this mod is not to make pagans playable - by now there are several ways to achieve that. (for those who are still in the dark: Choose any character. Start the game. Press §. Type "play <CharacterID>. Press return. The Character ID should obviously be of a pagan character). Rather the goal is to make pagans more interesting to play. I've tried to build a mod I would want to play myself (which I indeed do) and it has been born from ideas and suggestions in this thread.

The idea is that this mod, which is very much a work in progress, is published here in order to recieve input from the community. New ideas are welcome. Actual coding is even more welcome.

Changelog:
Version 1.1
  • Adapted the mod to version 1.06.
  • Corrected titles for norse pagan heresies. Nyi sidr should now have the same titles as Asatru.
  • Pagan tribal raid now commented out until the new CB's in 1.06 have been tested.
  • Lotharingia was removed from the mod since it already is part of 1.06.
  • Made it possible to appoint female treasurers for norse pagans.

Version 1.0
  • Updated to version 1.04. That was a bitch, let me tell you.
  • Pagans are now playable by default. This momentous event is celebrated by jumping straight to version 1.0.
  • New character numbers making the mod compatible with others.
  • Now female Chaplains can actually do something, too. Lo and behold! (I forgot to check if the job events checked for sex. They did, but it's now corrected.)
  • Added two pagan mercenary bands, coded by nuril. Thanks!
  • Tweaked the the Tribal Raid Casus Belli so that attackers can call in allies. This makes for fewer but tougher raids.
  • Added an event which removes the Celibate trait from pagans unless they are unusually pious.
  • Also, from now on Lotharingia is a part of the mod. I tried to keep it out, but keeping several mods running at once screwed everything up. It's easy to remove manually if you dislike Lotharingia.

Version 0.3
  • nuril's suggestions:
  • Changed the norse religious head title to duke level and made it a vassal of the king of Sweden in 1066
  • New flag for that title
  • New norse heretics, giving the possibility of changing how norse pagans work
  • New characters
  • Altered job_titles.txt to make it possible for norse pagans to have female Chaplains.
  • Reworked the raid Casus Belli:
  • Longer truce period between raids
  • Raids should now be possible against other pagan types
  • Halved the scaling factor for reward at win, thus making it easier to buy pagans off (and a loss is not as financially disastrous)
NOTE: The new character might conflict with existing mods since don't have my own range yet.

Version 0.2:
  • Removed Holy War for pagans. Too powerful combined with Warrior Cult.
  • Added a new pagan Casus Belli: Tribal Raid (coded by ATP). Win means power and prestige, loss means the dungeon.
  • Changed the truce time for Tribal Raid to 8 years.
  • Added mutual hostility to Tribal Raid to prevent coordinated war efforts.
  • Added localisation for these things.

Version 0.1:
  • Heretics have been added to norse, finnish and baltic pagans
  • All pagans can now proclaim Holy War against non-pagans.
  • Norse pagans now have a religious head with seat in Uppsala. (Some might recognize the character...)
  • Norse, baltic and finnish pagans can now grant CB.
  • Some localisation has been added for norse pagan titles.
  • A flag has been added for the norse religious head. Completely ahistorical, but without it everything got messed up.
  • I included the modified cb_types.txt from Improved Religious wars by wertu234. This should prevent all-out holy wars from day 1.
Warning: I suspect that the capability to start Holy wars will alter game balance completely. Beware!

Download Pagans!
Current version is 1.1.

Last edited:
Suggestions:

Traits: I'd recommend keeping the 7x7 trait system for pagans and simply changing the flavor text and bonuses to suit a pagan viewpoint.

For example;

(Christian) Wroth: You are too quick to anger (diplo. penalty, small martial bonus)
(Pagan) Wroth: Your rage is legendary (small diplo. penalty, martial bonus, small stewardship bonus)

(Christian) Chaste: You are pure and chaste (increased piety, decreased fertility)
(Pagan) Chaste: Is there something wrong with you...down there...?(decreased opinion, decreased fertility)

Some can be left alone (for example sloth). Being lazy is rarely considered a virtue.

GUI: Less Abrahamic, more pagan.

Flavor text: Flavor text everywhere. Omens, rituals, weak-god-who-got-nailed-to-a-tree etc.

Greater tolerance: Traditionally pagans have been much more tolerant of other religious movements. After all the God(s) of a conquered people can simply be incorporated into their own pantheon.

Suggestions:

Traits: I'd recommend keeping the 7x7 trait system for pagans and simply changing the flavor text and bonuses to suit a pagan viewpoint.

For example;

(Christian) Wroth: You are too quick to anger (diplo. penalty, small martial bonus)
(Pagan) Wroth: Your rage is legendary (small diplo. penalty, martial bonus, small stewardship bonus)

(Christian) Chaste: You are pure and chaste (increased piety, decreased fertility)
(Pagan) Chaste: Is there something wrong with you...down there...?(decreased opinion, decreased fertility)

Some can be left alone (for example sloth). Being lazy is rarely considered a virtue.

Yes, something needs to be done in that department. The most glaring one is "Celibate". I mean, come on. Celibate pagans?

I haven't decided yet if I modify existing traits (deleting current flavor text), create entirely new ones (which I did with my pagan mod for CK1) or try to have different text for different denominations (which sounds a bit too much work).

GUI: Less Abrahamic, more pagan.

Flavor text: Flavor text everywhere. Omens, rituals, weak-god-who-got-nailed-to-a-tree etc.

Sure, but it's a ton of work. I think I'll go with mechanics first and flavor later on.

Greater tolerance: Traditionally pagans have been much more tolerant of other religious movements. After all the God(s) of a conquered people can simply be incorporated into their own pantheon.

Weeeeelll, I'm not so sure that's true. Did you see that witchburning somewhere in central Africa which took place the other year? The one somebody filmed with their cell phone? Creepy stuff. Anyhow, we'll see.

Not sure if you already have something like this, but I've been working on some simple pagan stuff myself and one thing I made was a "Raid" CB for pagan groups. It's still a work in progress but here's a functional version I'm playing around with atm:

EDIT: Updated with a version that hasn't given me any trouble so far.

Code:
raid = {
	name = CB_NAME_RAID
	war_name = CB_WAR_NAME_RAID
	sprite = 6
	truce_days = 1825
	is_permanent = yes	
	can_call_allies = no	

can_use = {
		OR = {
			ROOT = {
				OR = {
					religion = norse_pagan
					religion = baltic_pagan
					religion = finnish_pagan
				}
			}
			OR = {
				religion = norse_pagan
				religion = baltic_pagan
				religion = finnish_pagan
			}	
		}
			ROOT = { NOT = { same_realm = FROM } }			
			FROM = { NOT = { religion_group = pagan_group } }			
	}					

is_valid = {
		OR = {
			ROOT = {
				OR = {
					religion = norse_pagan
					religion = baltic_pagan
					religion = finnish_pagan
				}
			}
			OR = {
				religion = norse_pagan
				religion = baltic_pagan
				religion = finnish_pagan
			}
		}
		ROOT = { NOT = { same_realm = FROM } }
		FROM = { NOT = { religion_group = pagan_group } }			
	}

on_success = {
		FROM = {
			transfer_scaled_wealth = {
				to = ROOT
				value = 4.0
			}
		}
		ROOT = {
			prestige = 50
		}
	}

on_fail = {
		ROOT = {
			prestige = -50
		}
	}

on_reverse_demand = {
		ROOT = {
			prestige = -100	
			imprison = FROM
		}
		FROM = {
			prestige = 100		
		}
	}

attacker_ai_victory_worth = {
		factor = -1 # always accept
	}

attacker_ai_defeat_worth = {
		factor = 100
	}

defender_ai_victory_worth = {
	}

defender_ai_defeat_worth = {
		factor = 50
	}
}

Victory means prestige and wealth from the enemy. Failure means loss of face (prestige) and imprisonment of your leader.

Last edited:
Not sure if you already have something like this, but I've been working on some simple pagan stuff myself and one thing I made was a "Raid" CB for pagan groups. It's still a work in progress but here's a functional version I'm playing around with atm:

Code:
raid = {
	name = CB_NAME_RAID
	war_name = CB_WAR_NAME_RAID
	sprite = 6
	truce_days = 1825
	is_permanent = yes	
	can_call_allies = no

can_use = {		
			ROOT = {
				religion_group = pagan_group
				NOT = { same_realm = FROM }
			}
	}	

is_valid = {		
			ROOT = {
				religion_group = pagan_group
				NOT = { same_realm = FROM }
			}
	}		

on_success = {
		FROM = {
			transfer_scaled_wealth = {
				to = ROOT
				value = 4.0
			}
		}
		ROOT = {
			prestige = 50
		}
	}

on_fail = {
		ROOT = {
			prestige = -50
		}
	}

on_reverse_demand = {
		ROOT = {
			prestige = -100	
			imprison = FROM
		}
		FROM = {
			prestige = 100		
		}
	}

attacker_ai_victory_worth = {
	}

attacker_ai_defeat_worth = {
		factor = 100
	}

defender_ai_victory_worth = {
	}

defender_ai_defeat_worth = {
		factor = 50
	}
}

Victory means prestige and wealth from the enemy. Failure means loss of face (prestige) and imprisonment of your leader.

That looks really nice! I'll test it and see what happens.

Sometimes I have issues with it "turning off" but I'm not sure the cause of it. At other times it works perfectly. I'm sure that I didn't do something right somewhere.

Well, I think I must try something else anyway. With Holy War turned on for pagans, the Baltic pagans survive, but the Cumans go berserk. Also, Estonia gobbled up Novgorod.

neat, I have to check this out eventually.

some ideas and comments though for a pagan mod. I have yet to play it though so if they are in, do forgive me.

• patron deity: this could be a minor thing, but for flavor I think it would be cool if you knew that your heir say was more devoted to Loki, Thor, Odin, Tyr and so forth. This could also be good your court priest, knowing which deity was his main deity might be good.
  • new traits: there are some traits I think might be fitting for the virtues of a pagan. For example a new 'sin' trait could be "oathbreaker" as oaths from what I know are held in great regard. a good virtue on the other hand could be something like "great host" for someone who shows hospitality to his guests and is always being a great host.
  • priestess: I am not sure if there are priestess in the various pagan religions that were around at this time, but this is something to think about.
  • women: related to the above, there could be more traits and roles women might have. Perhaps a rare few could become warriors; I do not know how common it was, but according to wikipedia the greek historian Johannes Skylitzes wrote durring this era that there were women fighters. so it might be something to look into.
  • far more events, omens, relics, festivals, and more. Just what it says, these should be flavorfull but more events are something to look into.

this is it for now, if i get more ideas I shall post them here :)

The most glaring one is "Celibate". I mean, come on. Celibate pagans?

Read some classical philosophy some time. Do you think Christians developed abstention from pleasures? Self-control and restraint was an important part of paideia.

Read some classical philosophy some time. Do you think Christians developed abstention from pleasures? Self-control and restraint was an important part of paideia.

Wrong pagans. Greco-Roman pagans aren't in the game, because all their provinces had converted by 1066. The groups involved are Tengriist (steppe nomad paganism) Norse pagans, Baltic pagans, and Finnic pagans.

[*] patron deity: this could be a minor thing, but for flavor I think it would be cool if you knew that your heir say was more devoted to Loki, Thor, Odin, Tyr and so forth. This could also be good your court priest, knowing which deity was his main deity might be good.

I disagree with the existence of Heresies for a Polytheistic religion in the first place (venerating the head of the pantheon =/= a "Heretic"), so that'd be nice, yes. Should also be something that could transfer to polytheistic wards, since they'd be more likely to adopt the view of the pantheon you teach them. :)

[*] new traits: there are some traits I think might be fitting for the virtues of a pagan. For example a new 'sin' trait could be "oathbreaker" as oaths from what I know are held in great regard. a good virtue on the other hand could be something like "great host" for someone who shows hospitality to his guests and is always being a great host.

Agreed. Another thing is that Assassinations should probably receive a harsher penalty for "Dishonourable" if possible. It wasn't until the Christians took over that Quickfires (burning your opponent's family and hird in their homes during the night), for example, became more commonplace. Before that you'd be viewed as the scum of the earth.

Edit: An alternative would be to give you "Trial by Combat" plots (that you can't invite others to to increase your odds, naturally. It'd be the same no matter the people) that, when initiated, are either refused by the Coward you challenged (he = Craven and gets the Dishonourable modifier?) or accepted and one of you defeats the other with success weighed by relative Martial-stats. More often ending in death but with a risk for being maimed for losing. The winner also risks becoming injured/maimed. If you have terrible Martial-stats you can send a Champion (your Marshal) when you receive the Challenge-Event from the "plot" being activated.

Holmgang was already technically illegal in Norway/Iceland by this point, but I'm not sure this was the case for Sweden since there are mentions of it in laws in the 1200s. The one where it ends at first-blood is Icelandic since they had their Blood-feuds and limited population, so they couldn't as readily take lives. If it was also standard practice on the mainland then the alternative would be to gain your Claimed title for the victory, even if they'd still be around as an enemy.

[*] priestess: I am not sure if there are priestess in the various pagan religions that were around at this time, but this is something to think about.

Definitely. Both the Dísablót and Álfablót were traditionally performed by priestesses and women of the household. The practice of Galdr was not gender-restricted and the practice of Seiðr was viewed as the domain of women (through the Goddess Freyja, whose attributes include Seiðr) and that it wasn't dignified for men to use it. Even if Odin himself does. :rolleyes:

[*] women: related to the above, there could be more traits and roles women might have. Perhaps a rare few could become warriors; I do not know how common it was, but according to wikipedia the greek historian Johannes Skylitzes wrote durring this era that there were women fighters. so it might be something to look into.

Yes, there were women who took up swords, but they wouldn't really be Generals or such, so it'd be more like allowing women to gain the "Duelist" trait or something. To quote Freydís Eiríksdóttir, sister of Leifr inn heppni:
Saga of Erik the Red said:
Freydis came out and saw how they were retreating. She called out, "Why run you away from such worthless creatures, stout men that ye are, when, as seems to me likely, you might slaughter them like so many cattle? Let me but have a weapon, I think I could fight better than any of you."

:happy:

Last edited:
Does this make pagan AI more interesting? Currently they're like lambs waiting to be slaughtered.

Yes. It does. In the game I started, Poland was facing attacks from the tribes on its northern border... and losing.

Yes. It does. In the game I started, Poland was facing attacks from the tribes on its northern border... and losing.

Oh yes, it changed. In fact, it made pagans too powerful when combined with Warrior Cult. It had to stop, so Holy War is gone (at least for now) and replaced with the somewhat less gamebreaking Tribal Raid. New version is up now.

I disagree with the existence of Heresies for a Polytheistic religion in the first place (venerating the head of the pantheon =/= a "Heretic"), so that'd be nice, yes. Should also be something that could transfer to polytheistic wards, since they'd be more likely to adopt the view of the pantheon you teach them. :)

Well, yes. There weren't heresies in the sense we usually think of them. On the other hand, pagan religion was not unified or formalized, and the pagan heretics are meant to represent this.

Oh yes, it changed. In fact, it made pagans too powerful when combined with Warrior Cult. It had to stop, so Holy War is gone (at least for now) and replaced with the somewhat less gamebreaking Tribal Raid. New version is up now.

You could just remove the warrior cult building, it does seem a little silly to have pagans be so much more militarisitc than a bunch of feudal (war)lords anyway.

I have considered that, but you know, I kinda like the image associated with it. Besides, over time the feudal lords should out-tech the pagans anyway and field larger armies even when compared to Warrior Cult (and with the aid of Holy Orders). Warrior Cult stays for now. If it's not possible to solve this another way I might change that.

You could just remove the warrior cult building, it does seem a little silly to have pagans be so much more militarisitc than a bunch of feudal (war)lords anyway.

The problem is that the non-Cuman pagans *need* warrior cult or they get swallowed up.

I wonder if there's a way to make it so you can only build warrior cult in, say, right-culture right-religion provinces and it gets destroyed elsewhere. That'd give them good armies at game start, but if they expand into other lands it won't snowball nearly as badly.