• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HolisticGod

Beware of the HoG
51 Badges
Jul 26, 2001
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
All,

I only participated in the first one, so I dunno if there was ever a sequel. If memory serves, I believe the original gave out shortly before the end*, so I doubt it. If that's the case, this seemed the best name short of Balance of Power, which has a nice ring I've sadly already put to use. If not, well, Red can blow me.

Speaking of, I haven't seen him around for a while. He was bugging me to get an old-fashioned powergame together a bit ago, but I never got round to it and he's disappeared from ICQ. If, however, somebody has a line on him or he's poking his nose around here still, he's certainly very welcome to join us.

As a base, this game will run on the conventional Diplomacy Universalis format, but various ideas have been had of late that I believe could be useful for scoring and directing the course of the game in a more meaningful way. Most of these arose in TOH, TfG and The Old World, and I'll go into them more later.

Basically, each player takes on the role of a Gray Eminence, a power behind the throne, who guides a country during some formative period in its history, usually 40-60 years (or 2-3 sessions). At that time (usually staggered, with half or a third of the players switching every week), the dice are thrown and the music starts and the Eminence changes chairs. France one week may become Austria the next.

The purpose here is manifold. First, it promotes a fluid diplomatic situation, shattering the common practice of eternal alliances or even longterm NAPs. Second, it simulates the influence of different regimes on the policies of a country. And third, it keeps everybody's experience fresh and entertaining, and forces them to think in the short-medium term rather than planning hundreds of years in advance.

I'll have more later. But I wanted to see how much interest there was in another game like this first.

We'd be playing Sundays, as that's the best possible slot for an EU II game, at the conclusion of FAL's Finding Neverland, presumably in the next four-five weeks. I'm open to another day with an earlier start if there's interest, but there's a great possibility I won't be able to take on another game (and certainly as GM) before that time anyway. I'm also convinced it's the most adaptable day for this sort of thing.

*France DOWed Austria while I, as England, was CTDed and then failed to rehost. I believe there were some other difficulties as well, involving edits and the host save or some such nonsense.

Last edited:
interesting, but i want to see Daniel A in such game mostly :D

well, Archduke mentioned in DU1 was very few number of manus :rolleyes: :D ;)

Ozzeh said:
If you play on Sundays, somewhere around FN time, I'm in.

Sounds like a very interesting idea, you can use a noob like me in there :D

If you are noob, then I am Napoleon.

But the Diplomacy Universalis concept is extremely newbie friendly, because of the nation switching. If a newbie fails in a war, he can give it a new shot with another nation.

In real life countries had good and bad monarchs and that will happen in this game too.

it is nice to play at the same game with Napoleon vs newbie :eek: I`ll bet on newbie fleet :rolleyes:

In few words: can I play?

The sunday is the worst day for me but, in this class of game, I think that you could use a "permanent" hangover player to fill a rooster or a hole in the rooster (sub).

LuisPivo said:
In few words: can I play?

The sunday is the worst day for me but, in this class of game, I think that you could use a "permanent" hangover player to fill a rooster or a hole in the rooster (sub).

Would be nice to play a second game with you Luis :) I always love how you stuntle around with the English language :p

Ozzeh said:
Would be nice to play a second game with you Luis :) I always love how you stuntle around with the English language :p

You are not the only one that find my different way to bable english funny. Unluckyly, my boss don't find funny the way that I degeneate my scarces spanish writting habilities with some English language :(

Ozzeh said:

Let me just work something out.

4 X 5 = 20

You are playing 20 hours a week of MP!!!!!

I believe that is getting close to dangerous levels of computer use :D

As some have indicated this is definitely not my kind of game. So my dear Tonio and Ozzeh, you will never see it happen, I can assure you :D

The longterm build up of a nation to its maximum is what I prefer. To build up a nation skilfully and then see some warmongers (names withheld on popular request) put its assets to use versus e.g. yourself would be a nightmare :eek:

But you may as always ask me for subbing whenever you are in need of a keen explorer/coloniser and economiser rather than a bloodthirsty war maniac ;)

Dr Bob said:
Let me just work something out.

4 X 5 = 20

You are playing 20 hours a week of MP!!!!!

I believe that is getting close to dangerous levels of computer use :D

Nonono. This game will only start after FN. So I play 3*4 + 1*5 = 17 hours a week of MP. Thats less :p

And I do intent to cut back. Balinus said there will be no soon followup to the newbie game, so when thats finished my wednesdays will be free.

Ozzeh said:
And I do intent to cut back. Balinus said there will be no soon followup to the newbie game, so when thats finished my wednesdays will be free.

What??? No follow-up newbie game.

I think not, me and Cobjor will just have to make our own game, then I can name it properly ;)