• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I would be interested in this, at the FN time on Sundays. Although it's probably too early for HG to get up for.

If I played in this game I would mint 100% most of the time (unless close to a vital tech level), make a lot of wars and raise war taxes all the time. Close to the end I would take huge loans to penalise whoever would play the nation after me (it is after all only a small chance I would be harmed from it). Ah yes, at the last day I would disband all armies and ships as well, and make 10 DOWs just to give my nation a lot of BB points.

Would not like to get my own nation at the next dice roll...

Apparently you need a nice reward system a la ToG for those who plays their nations "well" (i.e. not as described above), rewards that goes with the player rather than the nation. And because of all the evil stuff I mention above you need to set all nations equal in some way after the next reshuffle. Equal in e.g. inflation, tech, BB points etc I mean.

Daniel A said:
If I played in this game I would mint 100% most of the time (unless close to a vital tech level), make a lot of wars and raise war taxes all the time. Close to the end I would take huge loans to penalise whoever would play the nation after me (it is after all only a small chance I would be harmed from it). Ah yes, at the last day I would disband all armies and ships as well, and make 10 DOWs just to give my nation a lot of BB points.

Which is why a vital part of the DU system is rating each players performance. You will be judged in Economy, war and diplomacy. If you perform poorly, you will get a low rating.

In the end, the player with the highest rating wins the game, so it rewards you if you do well with your country.

Would not like to get my own nation at the next dice roll...

And since you are not sure if you get another nation next time, you should still play semi-longterm.

Daniel A said:

The positive side is that it would be quite historical :D (except the disbanding army).

anyway, if I'd be GM of this game and you'd do that, I wouldn't let you play again. ;)

FAL said:
And since you are not sure if you get another nation next time, you should still play semi-longterm.

Just to expand on this :

after each session, you have a chance of changing nation. It is not automatic : so there's a chance you get stuck with it 2 session, 3 sessions or even 4 sessions. Depending on the actual rule of course.

Daniel,

Actually, we'll be using a variation of the TfG reward system, probably in the form of Clout which will follow the Gray Eminence from one country to another. Playing poorly A. Destroys your chances of winning the game and B. Puts you in a much more difficult position than those who play well at the next rotation.

Frankly, I'd love to have you in this game. It's been a while since we played together and I think you bring a certain... Mind-bleeding pedantic charm :D to any situation. Plus, you'd make me do real GM work rather than being lazy and not even posting the rules in the first page.

Since players are rewarded for playing longterm (although not as longterm as they would in a regular game, which is part of the point of doing this), I would think it'd still suit you fine.

Balinus,

Depending the scenario (i.e. a 1337, a 1492 or a 1520), the norm would be to switch after 2-3 sessions, so that there is some medium term diplomacy and such. In a 1337, it'd probably be closer to 4-5 sessions, or a century per country.

And then yes, switching is random and not automatic. If you rolled a certain way, you could wind up playing the same country all game-but even then, you wouldn't know you were playing it all game.

FAL,

I'd like to discuss this with you over ICQ when you're around. I need a co-GM for something like this.

All,

This game will indeed start in the FN time slot, probably the week after it ends (so the Sunday after next).

We're going to need a few more players than we presently have, so I'll do some head hunting. I know Damo wanted to try another game like this. As did John. We should have a full house.

So far, I have:

FAL
Balinus
Ozzeh
SMN
Robertus
PJL
Luis

I'd like confirmation all around.

Also, be aware that you are required to develop a character(s) and write AARs for this game. At the very least, you need a Gray Eminence, whatever that may be, and his or her storyline. If that doesn't sound appealing to you, or you're not sure you can swing it, bow out now.

@ HG

I would love to play Eu II once more. Thing is, my internet con prevents that again, but from Drake I heard that you use Hamachi. Does that work?

HoG, I am interested, but would like to get some more details about this Gray Eminence and the reward system tied to it first.

As for ICQ, I am usually online each working day 9:00-17:00 CET. If you can't catch me those hours, please PM me.

I am willing to join, if the gametime is sunday.

I guess it'd be acceptable to just come in and play for a few sessions in this game, no? Since my schedule will change after Christmas to unknown this could be an interesting possibility to get some EU2 MP (and yeah Tonio I know I said I'd quit after C&C ;)).

Of course, it also depends on what day/time a session is played...

What exactly is the TfG reward system anyway????

TheArchduke said:
@ HG

I would love to play Eu II once more. Thing is, my internet con prevents that again, but from Drake I heard that you use Hamachi. Does that work?

Did you not at the end of your previous career earn yourself the dubious reputation of being a well-known quitter? Bad or good quits?

HoG, FAL etc

If I get to understand better how this game works I might be interested after all. I agree with Ozzeh etc that Sundays are after all the best day to play, not least because we can play for 5 hours as we did in FN (17.00-22.00 CET is superb).

FAL made a reference to the DU system, but what is that?

Also, there seem to be some kind of RP element, is that true? Or is there only a necessity to write AARs?