• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Blue Max - Cliffhanger? Oops I must have forgot to finish my previous post :) Thank you for the compliments.

Hermann Steiner - Yup another Carrier gone. I didn't want to fight it when I did but it snuck through my air cover. Maybe I should start charging Paradox :D

UncleAlias - It could be good news, but Mamoru prefers bad news most of the time.

harezmi - There will be at least one update a day over the weekend for sure. I will never have enough aircraft.

Reado, Hermann Steiner, I Killed Kenny, Kurt_Steiner - Maybe the Soviets switched sides and are now my ally :D

bbcrackmonkey - Conservative objectives :)

Von Uber - The British did but the AI forgot it seems :p

ColossusCrusher - That would be a true miracle.

Sokraates - I am fairly surprised at just how docile the Chinese are being. They have done almost nothing to stop me. I didn't want to leave my Transport fleet vunerable for any more time than was absolutely necessary. In hindsight I probably should have just shipped them though.

Now where did I put the end of my last post ...

An Alliance Shatters

6 (Continued)

0100 October 14th 1944.
Imperial Palace. Tokyo, Japan.

Thirty minutes after Mamoru's phone call a slightly out of breath Cabinet had assembled at the Imperial Palace and waited for Hirohito to appear. He did not keep them waiting long and started the meeting abruptly without waiting for Hideki to begin at his own pace.

"Ok Gentlemen what has you flustered enough to seek an emergency meeting at this hour?" asked the Emperor. "I would of course prefer good news."

"Minister Kiniaki will explain your Highness." replied Mamoru. The two Ministers had agreed on their way to the Imperial Palace that it would be the Intelligence Minister who would provide the briefing.

"Thank you Minister Mamoru. Your Highness, Gentlemen. Two days ago we began receiving some reports from Europe and we have waited to be certain that these reports are completely accurate before calling for this meeting. There is no easy way to say this." began Kuniaki.​

oct12440100gr.jpg

"According to the timing of the initial reports Germany surrendered at 0100 hours on October 12th. The Soviet Union has annexed what is left of our former ally."

"I trust there is more to add to this bad news?" asked Hirohito.

"That was probably the only really bad news, the rest is better, at least for the time being."​

oct12440100gr1.jpg

"We have inherited fifty two vessels that were at sea at the time of the surrender. All of these ships captains have made it clear that they wish to fight by our side and I have extended the use of our port facilities in Indonesia to them."

"How soon will they arrive?" asked Hideki.

"Don't expect them here before the snow melts." replied Kuniaki.

"Minister Kuniaki it hasn't even started snowing yet." said Hideki.

"Exactly my point Prime Minister. It will take them months to get here from their bases in Norway and they are very short on supplies which is why it will take so long. At the time of the initial reports one fleet is actually stuck in the Baltic and cannot escape with Denmark in Allied hands. The closest fleet was already making its way towards Japan and is off the coast of South Africa. We do not know if any of these ships will make it through the Allied Navies and reach us."

"You have anything else you wish to add?" asked Hirohito.

"Yes your Majesty there is more." continued Kuniaki.​

oct14440100gr1.jpg

"Two hours ago the Soviet Union established quite a few satallite States. Amongst these were the DDR, Poland, Romania, Hungary, Czechoslovakia and Denmark. The main point here is Denmark. This has allowed our trapped fleet to escape and it will also try and make it to Japan alive."​

oct14440100gr2.jpg

"In response the United States freed Western Europe. There are now two Germanys, the Soviet DDR and the Western FRG. The Netherlands, Luxembourg and Austria were also given their freedom. Some other Countries were also released including Italy."

"A lot of new Countries it seems. Are they hostile to us Minister Mamoru?" asked Hirohito.

"Neutral your Majesty, which means we might be able to trade with them." replied Mamoru.

"That is good at least. What does Europe look like now?"​

oct14440100gr3.jpg

"Very much like it did ten years ago with the exception of there being two Germanys. Minister Mamoru will provide a better map at the usual meeting that explains exactly where all the new Countries are." concluded Kuniaki.

"Thank you Gentlemen, this news is indeed grave. Japan and its loyal Asian allies are now left alone to fight the Allies. This will be a testing time for us." said Hirohito as he stood and left the meeting.​

I see the surrender events still don't handle ahistorical cases in which the US holds territory east of modern Germany. And is that Soviet territory in Albania?

Denmark became red when it was occupied by the US? And DDR is one province? Hmmmmm...

Originally posted by Remble:
"We have inherited fifty two vessels that were at sea at the time of the surrender. All of these ships captains have made it clear that they wish to fight by our side and I have extended the use of our port facilities in Indonesia to them."

Now this is realism.

The Emperor is a true master of understatement. "A testing time" is a very mild way of putting it. But I would be more concerned with Russia than America.

I wonder if the ships will have enough fuel to reach allied harbors.

BTW... Kuniaki... what a philosopher, my goodness... :D

Maybe you could edit out the map funkiness?
Like the Americans in Africa, that Polish province, etc.
And why didn't the Soviets keep Bessarabia?

Will this is a grave blow, on the one hand you lost an ally, on the other you gained two years production of advanced subs and destroyers. But the whole world is against us.

I also especially liked the dialogue rich updates this week between the admirla and the field marshal, also between the imperial cabinet, keep that up in further updates.

I have a feeling the Chinese (both) won't last out the month. :)

Keep up the good work Remble. :)

Originally posted by Maj. von Mauser:
I also especially liked the dialogue rich updates this week between the admirla and the field marshal, also between the imperial cabinet, keep that up in further updates.

Yup, keep that up. :)

Finally Mamoru will have to earn his salary. No more sitting around idly, now it's trading time. At least your allies haven't surrendered for nothing.

I'm just waiting for all that excess Allied military power to show up. :(

Manziel - Nealry all Subs but some transports and cruisers. The exact ships will be covered in the end of month report. They have a long long way to go before they can be used though.

Reado - Agreed :)

dublish - Well I guess I should be grateful it fired without crashing. Yes the Soviets wanted half of Albania it seems :)

Mangudai - Nope Denmark was American controlled and switched to Danish control. Yes one massive country is the DDR :p

stnylan - The Russians are definately the biggest problem to come. The only thing that could be worse is if the AI begins to use the USN correctly.

Kurt_Steiner - Sailing all the way around the World without fuel is easy enough. Some won't survive the journey as they are badly damaged but most should. Philosophy is one of Kuniaki's strong points. Industry is his strongest of course.

ColossusCrusher - The event is bad is all it never gets it right but it got most of it right so I won't complain too much. I won't be editing the provinces as they will all turn yellow at some point anyway ;)

Maj. von Mauser, Mangudai, trekaddict - I don't mind adding some dialogue where I think its appropriate as it was in the last update. Some situations lend themselves to that sort of thing. I tend to only use dialogue between Cabinet Ministers or high ranking commanders. The Cabinet is monthly usually and two high ranking commanders don't cross eachothers paths too often. I could make them I guess if I really wanted to though.

I am a little wary of going too heavily into dialogue as I know some people are following along that do not like to read a lot of words. That and it gives me a headache trying to think of 15 ways to say the same thing in one paragraph :)

Sokraates - He still has to find trades that don't get savaged as they try to reach Japan though and they are still hard to find.

Funkatronica - Thank you and welcome :)

AdmiralNelson - And here I was thinking only Mamoru was a pessimist :D The Allied airforce worries me if its used even a little correctly. The Allied armies I am not overly concerned about as most of it can't hurt me without Transport ships. The Allied Navies seem to enjoy sinking. The Red horde is likely to cause a problem or two.

Update to follow ...

Slaying the Dragon

0400 October 14th 1944.
Imperial GHQ. Tokyo, Japan.

Field Marshal Sugiyama had a fairly easy command. The Japanese mainland was not under any imminent threat of invasion with Yamamoto controlling the enemy fleets to a great extent. He was aware of several Submarine fleets close to Japan that were trying to hamper convoys and looking for unprotected shipping.​

oct14440400gr1.jpg

One such fleet had been sighted in Abashiri Bay to the north of Japan. Rear Admiral Ito was defending this area from possible invasion and had intercepted the hostile fleet. No ships would be sunk during the battle but the American fleet would be forced to withdraw.​

1000 october 14th 1944.
BB Division 1 Flagship. IJN Yamashiro, Bangka Strait.

The two Light Carriers that had escaped when the USS Wasp had been sunk had been sighted heading at full speed away from Japanese waters.​

oct14441000gr1.jpg

The Interceptors would add a little more damage to the two ships as they passed through the West Celebes Sea but no further action would be taken to prevent them from leaving the area.​

0700 October 15th 1944.
North China Army Headquarters. Jinghong, China.

Chinese territory continued to shrink as Japanese forces maintained their pace of advance.​

oct15440700gr1.jpg

General Abe had captured Yichang province which was the current capital of China. More raw materials headed back to Japan from the latest pillaging of Chinese stocks.​

oct15440700gr2.jpg

The new Chinese capital was located in Ankang province. This latest move would give Higashikuni a few choices in how to proceed. He could easily order an assault on Ankang and its relatively few defenders but he would choose a different path instead. His choice would speed up the conclusion to the war with China if it succeeded.​

oct16440100gr1.jpg

At 0100 hours on October 16th twelve Japanese divisions, led by General Yamashita, attacked the largest Chinese troop concentration in Xi'an province. Field Marshal Tang Shengzhi had the unenviable task of trying to hold a defence that was being attacked from five different directions simultaneously.

Higashikuni had chosen this path as it would isolate half of the Chinese forces from their supply chain if Japanese troops could occupy Xi'an. It would also mean a large defensive force could end up in the Chinese capital but he could deal with that problem easily enough.

The initial odds for the battle looked to be fairly even. That would change in three hours when fourteen bomber squadrons arrived over Xi'an and began to interupt Tang Shengzhi's communications network.

The defences were over run in under ten hours with the seemingly unstoppable General Yamashita dealing another crushing blow to his opponent. The devasation that had been wrought on Tang Shengzhi's rear areas led to mass confusion as 90% of his forces retreated towards Nanyang province instead of towards the capital in Ankang. Instead of possibly placing half of China's army out of supply Higashikuni now had the chance to isolate nearly all of it.​

oct17440100gr1.jpg

Following this great success Higashikuni decided to make an attempt to capture the Communist Chinese capital of Yan'an. General Yamada led seven divisions against the seemingly weak defence. The bombers would provide support as soon as they were able although their abilities would be severly hampered by the mountainous terrain.

Thirty six hours after the battle had begun Yamada was forced to abandon the attempt as his casualties mounted. Fighting Communist forces was a different proposition to the Nationalists.​

0000 October 20th 1944.
BB Division 1 Flagship. IJN Yamashiro. Bangka Strait.

Yamamoto's eyes were providing him with considerable information about enemy ship movements. This enabled him to be in the right place most of the time.​

oct20440000gr1.jpg

The Bangka Strait was a target rich area for the moment with a lot of enemy fleets trying to pass through the sealane. There was also a busy sealane to the south of Indonesia, but Yamamoto could only be in one place at a time.

Two British Destroyer Flotillas were sunk in the early hours of October 20th by the Heavy Cruiser IJN Kumano and the Battleship IJN Yamashiro. A further Destroyer Flotilla, this time Canadian, would be sunk by the Battleship IJN Hyuga in the late afternoon. Yamamoto then headed towards the Sundra Strait and the southern shipping lane.​

oct21441300gr1.jpg

His first contact on October 21st was around midday when BB Division 1 encountered a British Transport Flotilla in the Gaspar Strait. IJN Hyuga would send it to the bottom.

A second encounter occurred as Yamamoto entered the Sundra Strait at 1800 hours. Both American Destroyer Divisions would fall to the guns of his Flagship IJN Yamashiro.​

1600 October 21st 1944.

Reports from the Chinese front were good as further enemy provinces changed hands and became Japanese controlled.​

oct21441600gr1.jpg

Hoshinato's armour had captured Pingliang in Communist territory and Lt. General Muto had arrived in Xi'an to isolate most of the Nationalist army. Things were looking decidedly bleak for the Chinese. The single Japanese division commanded by Muto was apparently of such high quality that no counter attack was ordered by the numerically superior Chinese army.​

0100 October 22nd 1944.
Prime Minster's Office. Tokyo, Japan.

"Come in Minister Mamoru and take a seat." Hideki greeted Japan's Foreign Minister.

"Thank you Prime Minister, and thank you for seeing me at such short notice." replied Mamoru.

"You are welcome of course. Now what did you wish to see me about. You mentioned the word important several times so I gather it is nothing trivial."

"No it is nothing less than important. I wish to ask for another meeting of the Cabinet to present my latest report." asked Mamoru.

"Again? We had an emergency meeting just a few days ago if you remember."

"I was there I believe. This news requires a similar meeting and a decision from the Emperor, it cannot wait."

"Very well then give me a few minutes to make some phone calls and we can make our way over to the Imperial Palace."

"Whatever you say Prime Minister." replied Mamoru.

Thirty minutes later the full Cabinet was assembled once again in the meeting room of the Imperial Palace.

The Emperor was in a similar hurry today as well as he asked Hideki what the meeting was about as soon as he entered.

"The Foreign Minister asked for this emergency meeting your Highness." Hideki informed Hirohito.

"Ok Minister Mamoru what disaster has befallen Japan this time?" asked the Emperor.

"Your Highness it is nothing bad this time I assure you. I do however require an answer to a question I was asked not too long ago. I am fairly sure of your wishes in this matter but it is not my place to make the decision."

"I am good at providing answers Minister, so what is the question?"

"The Nationalist Chinese Ambassador asked me to pass on a request from his Government."​

oct22440100gr2.jpg

"To be blunt they wish to prostrate themselves at your feet and beg for mercy. It appears that Field Marshal Higashikuni has convinced Chiang Kai-shek that it is in his best interests to surrender his Country unconditionally to Japan. We have three choices your Majesty. Install a puppet regime, carve China up or annex most of it."​

oct22440100gr1.jpg

"The word China needs to be removed from the map of the World Minister Mamoru." replied Hirohito.

"I assumed that would be your response your Majesty but I needed it to be confirmed. This will have some impact on Japan as a result of our actions."​

oct22440100gr3.jpg

"We will inherit all of Nationalist Chinese territory as well as the territory belonging to its puppet Xibei San Ma, unfortunately the Communists did not want to surrender at this time.

There will be some positive effects to our domestic policy but some dissent from the population as they are not all going to be overjoyed by this decision."

"That is to be expected. Minister Ginjiro please make whatever adjustments are necessary to begin reducing the dissent as soon as you can." the Emporer said.

"Of course your majesty." replied Ginjiro.​

oct22440200gr2.jpg

"British forces have taken the liberty of beginning their advance over the unprotected border in the west and a defensive position has been decided upon in this region. We could not move troops to the direct border fast enough to prevent the British crossing according to the Prime Minister." continued Mamoru.

"That is correct your Highness." stated Hideki.​

oct22440200gr1.jpg

"The map of Asia has altered somewhat as a result of the Chinese surrender as can be seen here. The only enemy within our new borders is Communist China and it is totally surrounded. The defensive line in the west is also shown. It is a relatively easy area to protect once our forces arrive. You will also note that our puppet state of Mengkukuo inherited some lands formerly held by Xibei San Ma.

There is wide spread partisan activity throughout most of China as a result of its annexation and it will be some time before this can be totally controlled, but we have enough rear line troops to deal with any uprisings. A lot of the forces that were fighting the Nationalists have already boarded trains to new destinations. I think that is enough for now, I can make a more detailed report at the end of the month your Highness."

"Very well. I will see you all in just over a week unless Minister Mamoru decides that he wishes to change the World again." Hirohito said as he left the meeting.​

1800 October 22nd 1944.
BB Division 1 Flagship. IJN Yamashiro, Sundra Strait.

It had taken the Americans four months to achieve a conquest against almost no adversaries. Yamamoto wondered why he had been so wary of this opponent.​

oct22441800gr1.jpg

The capture of Sorong meant that all of New Guinea was now in the hands of the United States. Sorong was also an airbase and a port which was likely to prove a problem in the near future.​

oct22442200gr1.jpg

Yamamoto didn't have too much time to dwell on the loss of Sorong as his fleet engaged another enemy in the Sundra Strait four hours later.

The fleet was comprised of ships from various Nations of the British Commonwealth. It didn't really matter that much to Yamamoto where they came from, only that they needed to be sunk.

The Battleship IJN Hyuga would deal with both Canadian Destroyer Flotillas while IJN Yamashiro sank the Transport Flotillas.​

0000 October 23rd 1944.

The situation in China was very good but the same could not be said for Burma. The British were pushing again and would be victorious as usual.​

oct23440000gr1.jpg

Lt. General Iida had been attacked in Nakhon Sawan province and had no choice but to withdraw or suffer a large amount of casualties. He withdrew towards the Siamese capital of Bangkok which would temporarily leave a hole in Japanese lines.​

1200 October 23rd 1944.

Admiral Mikawa had delivered the troops to Davao from Sorong and had started to move towards Kra after embarking the armoured division again.​

oct23441200gr2.jpg

The Heavy Cruiser IJN Chokai would sink the British Transport fleet that he encountered in the Davao Gulf.​

0000 October 24th 1944.
Intelligence Offices. Tokyo, Japan.

Kuniaki had received word from Kawasaki that they had completed their current research project.​

oct24440000gr1.jpg

An Improved Computing Machine had been developed that would enable Japanese scientists to improve upon their current encyption technology. Kawasaki were ordered to research the new encryption system.​

0000 October 24th 1944.

Clearly the Allies had not communicated the presence of BB Division 1 to all of their fleets as another enemy entered Yamamoto's hunting ground.​

oct24440000gr2.jpg

Both British Destroyer Flotillas would be sunk but on the 9th could be confirmed as a kill to the IJN Yamashiro.​