• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You prove my point @Peter Ebbesen even if my memory after 20 years is a little hazy. ;)
And do you seriously believe I don't know that? :D

I just wanted to correct your description of it as "likely the first", since the historical record of the entire Paradox forum is clear that while WCfD had the greatest influence, the Timurids did it first and set the scene for WCfD being even possible.

Granted, stating so would only have taken a single paragraph, but where's the fun in that if I can indulge in nostalgia instead?

• 2Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Hold court, Peter. That is why I nominated it. :D

• 2Like
Reactions:
Hah! I remember well those AARs. I laughed out loud so many times when the Professor was wacking Norgesvenn, MrT and so on repeadedly for their insolence. :D

• 2Like
Reactions:
While I dearly loved writing World Conquest for Dummies, I fear I must correct the historical record. (...)
This is the archetypical post of how it should be done.

Wonderful behind-the-scenes documentary. Kudos.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Congratulations @Peter Ebbesen! Quite a remarkable set of AARs!

Timurid Scientists was honored in 2017. I'm sure we'll see more. Thank you @coz1 for mentioning this one!

Rensslaer

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
A @Peter Ebbesen AAR is an event, something to be cherished for its imagination, humour and often times, rule breaking. It says a lot that Paradox had to fix their game because Peter broke it. Congrats on the honour. It's more than well deserved.

• 1Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
@Peter Ebbesen I've been reading through World Conquest for Dummies and it is quite good! :) Entertaining and informative. Conquest without a net. I should try that sometime.

Rensslaer

• 1Like
Reactions:
All right, then... It's my intent to go through the Index and add which game each of these AARs was from.

But for now, I think I'm going to hold up an AAR for honor that is probably the first Stellaris AAR so honored!

Stellaris hasn't been around that long, compared to the other Paradox games. But the first Stellaris AARs were published in May 2016, so... nearly 8 years ago, if you can imagine!

This AAR was posted in 2018. This was a period of time when I had alot of turmoil going on in my world, and my involvement with AARLand was seriously curtailed. But one of my jobs involved alot of sitting with not much to do, and so I was able to read some AARs, even if I didn't have much ability to comment.

The first, and primary, AAR I remember from this time period was On Azure Wings - An Apocalypse AAR by @RossN. RossN developed his own race for this -- the Baviir (self-described "space peacocks"). He used the familiar Stellaris avian portrait, but developed (in DETAIL!) a society around these birds. He says he studies birds, and so these birds have realistic avian behaviors and social constructs.

It was quite a fascinating story, and the characterization and development of the society was quite excellently done. He did complete the AAR, and I don't know that I was able to read the whole thing (I got through at least half) but I can tell that even the end crisis events were told in typical RossN epic style.

I know I saw many of our currently active fan base reading and commenting back in 2018. I hope you'll go enjoy this AAR for a trip back through memory lane!

Rensslaer

It's been too long since I visited this forum even though I always keep meaning to get back to AAR writing so forgive the lateness of my reply! Thank you so much for your kind words @Rensslaer and I'm very happy you have such fond memories of On Azure Wings! I had an absolute blast writing it! :)

Thank you too @Nikolai and @DensleyBlair for your kind words!

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
@RossN GREAT to have you drop in for a visit! I always enjoyed your AARs, since my very first days in the Forum, as you always included such a degree of depth.

Would be great to have you around again, even if you don't have time for a new AAR.

Rensslaer

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Busy right now, but I'll pass it on to a worthy oldschool AAR next week since the OP makes clear nominations don't have to be weekly, so long as they are good. I've got a few candidates in mind.

...the Conqueror said, knowing full well his tendency to forget forum deadlines. Should he forget to make a nomination next week, the nomination was to be considered free.

...Peter wrote, referring to himself in the third person, and that's just one or two steps short of madness - or greatness!

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Busy right now, but I'll pass it on to a worthy oldschool AAR next week since the OP makes clear nominations don't have to be weekly, so long as they are good. I've got a few candidates in mind.

...the Conqueror said, knowing full well his tendency to forget forum deadlines. Should he forget to make a nomination next week, the nomination was to be considered free.

...Peter wrote, referring to himself in the third person, and that's just one or two steps short of madness - or greatness!
-Wayne Gretzky, -Michael Scott

• 1Haha
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
@RossN GREAT to have you drop in for a visit! I always enjoyed your AARs, since my very first days in the Forum, as you always included such a degree of depth.

Would be great to have you around again, even if you don't have time for a new AAR.

Rensslaer

Thanks! :)

I've actually being playing more Paradox games recently and I'd be happy to consider an AAR if I can get the right 'hook' and decide on the game!

• 2Like
Reactions:
@Peter Ebbesen I have some ideas for awards but I'm not quite ready to put one together (or decide which, right now).

If you have one on mind, go for it! Otherwise I'll come up with one in a couple days.

Rensslaer

Okay, first off I want to congratulate @Peter Ebbesen again for World Conquest for Dummies, which I did read in the time since it was nominated (which is an accomplishment for a slow reader like me!). GREAT work! Very entertaining.

And since I'm a little short on time I am going to fall back on a tribute I wrote 18 years ago for an HOI 1 AAR... I was re-reading my own old AAR from back then, and just came across this tribute.

@Mettermrck's "The United States: Advantages Without Obligations" is unquestionably a masterpiece!

Mett gets into a lot of history -- which makes it great -- and into a lot of the politics and what's going on behind the scenes -- which makes it better! I'm a political junkie, in addition to being a fan of history. So his writing style and his approach to what should be in an AAR really appeals to me.

Advantages Without Obligations is an epic tome, and deserves to be -- Mett put a lot of work into it! From the careful selection of period photographs and editorial cartoons (which is quite an accomplishment, considering that his history diverges from real-life starting on about day 10 of the AAR!!!), to the completion of an epilogue to explain what happened after the game finished, his story is worth reading now and into the future.

So my recommendation is that everyone should go take a look at his AAR, and let him know how great it is! Get some life going in that old HOI 1 forum again. And pay tribute to the masterpiece! I know some of his pictures are down, but there's so much there you won't even notice!

Mettermrck has been around as recently as 2022, but not in the past year. Hope he pops back in to see this.

Rensslaer

Last edited:
Reactions:
Oh and just to be clear, this thread does not require the honoree to pick a successor. It's more of a "jump in and nominate if it's been 10 days" thing. First come first serve.

Whoever desires to nominate a fondly remembered AAR from 5 years ago or more is welcome.

Thanks!

Renss

• 1Like
Reactions:
A magnificent nomination! :)

• 2Like
Reactions:
An absolutely brilliant nomination. Nice pick, @Rensslaer.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I'm only two posts in reading it, but it seems like @El Pip might have cribbed some notes on how to write AARs...

• 1Haha
Reactions: