Orderboard - Another attempt at a Dwarf Fortress succession game. With a Thousand Elephants!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
One of our non-Legendary Miners (Tun) has entered a Fey mood, and grabbed a Mason's workshop. Two types of Stone, two types of leather, two types of cut gems, some raw green glass, pig bones, Lead bars... wonder what he's making? A throne, perhaps?

EDIT:

orderboard357.jpg

orderboard358.jpg

An artifact coffin worth 23,000 Schmuckers! Just what every Noble Dwarf wants for Christmas.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Hmmm... we have no plump helmets, and no plump helmet seeds.

I wonder what happened to them? Cooked?

In other news, our newly re-formed Marksdwarf squad is carrying BOLTS.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I wonder what happened to them? Cooked?
Quite possible. We may have had ~300 seeds and I can see myself doing "We don't need that many seeds, toggle cooking" and then promptly forget about it. They're growing all over the cave moss floors in our soil layers though.

Reactions:
Quite possible. We may have had ~300 seeds and I can see myself doing "We don't need that many seeds, toggle cooking" and then promptly forget about it. They're growing all over the cave moss floors in our soil layers though.
Where do I go to toggle cooking? I forget...

Labor menu (y) -> Kitchen Tab -> Seeds tab. Though you won't be able to toggle controls for anything not currently in stock.

1705971383268.png

All drinks by default are subsequently cooked.

Reactions:
Our inner courtyard is getting eaten right down to bare dirt. We are undergoing an Elephexplosion.

Should we slaughter a bunch of them, to bring the Elephant population down to a number that the grass can support?

Should we slaughter a bunch of them, to bring the Elephant population down to a number that the grass can support?
What happens if you release some into the area outside our fortress/compound? Will they remain friendly to us, or will they become a danger to us as well as to our enemies?

If culling is necessary, I believe it is traditional to cull the males, keeping only as many as you need for stud service (and presumably for genetic diversity).

What happens if you release some into the area outside our fortress/compound?
We did that last time they overpopulated, and the next siege killed them all.

By slaughtering them we at least get the Elephant-burgers.

Reactions:
One of our non-Legendary Miners (Tun) has entered a Fey mood, and grabbed a Mason's workshop. Two types of Stone, two types of leather, two types of cut gems, some raw green glass, pig bones, Lead bars... wonder what he's making? A throne, perhaps?

EDIT:

View attachment 1076185

View attachment 1076186

An artifact coffin worth 23,000 Schmuckers! Just what every Noble Dwarf wants for Christmas.

I call dips on that coffin.

Also what does a legendary miner do?
like, how does being a legendary miner improve your stuff?

Hmmm... we have no plump helmets, and no plump helmet seeds.
That's bad, right?

All drinks by default are subsequently cooked.
So you can't use plants for drinks without losing the seeds due to cooking?

I call dips on that coffin. - If you aren't a high-ranking Noble, that would cause jealousy.

Also what does a legendary miner do? - Digs
like, how does being a legendary miner improve your stuff? - Faster digging. A lot faster.

That's bad, right? - Yes.

So you can't use plants for drinks without losing the seeds due to cooking? - Making booze saves the seeds. Cooking meals destroys them.

Reactions:
> I call dips on that coffin. - If you aren't a high-ranking Noble, that would cause jealousy.
Hadnt' we agreed that I'd take over once the count dies?
Or is tehre a risk he dies before me?

> So you can't use plants for drinks without losing the seeds due to cooking? - Making booze saves the seeds. Cooking meals destroys them.
Yeah, that was what I thoguht, but how does that fit with drinks leads to cooking?

> I call dips on that coffin. - If you aren't a high-ranking Noble, that would cause jealousy.
Hadnt' we agreed that I'd take over once the count dies?
Or is tehre a risk he dies before me? - Of course it can happen.

> So you can't use plants for drinks without losing the seeds due to cooking? - Making booze saves the seeds. Cooking meals destroys them.
Yeah, that was what I thoguht, but how does that fit with drinks leads to cooking? - Drinks can be cooked, as long as one solid ingredient is also used.

What would you even get benefits wise from cooking drinks?
Food. More importantly food QUALITY. Every time your dwarves eat a meal, that's an opportunity to give them a Happy thought for a wonderful meal.

Reactions:
It will take me a while to regain a firm grip on the fort... but meanwhile we can do some useful stuff.

Let's see about getting some Magma down to the bottom of the DET.

As always, we must prepare the infrastructure first. When we originally dug out the Magma duct-work to support our magma-forging operation, we included three pairs of "taps" that could be used to divert magma from the volcano into any future projects. We wired up lever-controls in advance (before flooding the duct-work with magma), just in case we needed them.

We will now add a "splitter" to the NW tap.

First, we add three new levers in the Magma Control Room (just north of the Drawbridge Control Room).

orderboard359.jpg

We will wire these new levers to three new floodgates, to form our splitter.

orderboard360.jpg

The purpose of the splitter is to allow us to use the NW tap (the one that's holding back the magma in the above screen-shot) to send magma down to the DET, while still having the option of using the NW tap for other things, as well.

The DET is located well to the north of the duct-work, so we'll be using the north branch of the splitter and saving the west and south branches for future projects.

orderboard361.jpg

We can't just pump magma through our existing fort, so we'll send the magma down a level or two until we have a clear path to the north for running the duct-work toward the dodge-em trap down on level -16.

Reactions:
Seventeen more immigrants arrive, taking us up to 107 Dwarves.

orderboard362.jpg

I've found bedrooms for all of them, and designated another 20 bedrooms to be dug.

We will need a bigger military.

• 1Like
Reactions: