Orderboard - Another attempt at a Dwarf Fortress succession game. With a Thousand Elephants!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

blue emu

GroFAZ
8 Badges
Mar 13, 2004
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
Our last fortress died a miserable death, mostly from my lack of playing time. But now I have time to spare, and I've rolled up another party of Dwarves!

I've found us an interesting location.

Orderboard_00.png

Our map is rather three-dimensional, being about 36 levels higher in the lower left corner than in the upper right corner. Pictured above is a ground-level slice of the map.

At lower left is the lava tube leading upward, which forms an open lava pool in the volcano's caldera 36 levels above the valley floor. The solid rock of the volcano is largely granite and rhyolite with a thin overburden of soil. Thin soil or not, the volcano is very heavily forested, with jungle plants and jungle animals. In the valley the soil is much deeper... four layers deep with the last layer being Fire Clay, suitable not just for pottery but for ceramics as well. The rocks immediately below the soil layer contain gold ore.

The river, on the other hand, contains Giant Hippos as well as wildlife somewhat less extreme. It connects a lake to the map edge, and offers some measure of tactical security on that flank.

I have used a red arrow to indicate the location that I've chosen for our fortress entrance. It is distressingly far from the center of the map (and correspondingly, distressingly close to a map edge where a hostile army might enter at any time), but we can minimize the damage by just walling off or extensively trapping the most objectionable approach routes. While the disadvantages of that particular entrance location are pretty obvious, so are the advantages. It is close to the river, for water and for water power. There is a wide, flat plain, a wonderful place for grazing our Elephant herd. Later on we'll hollow out some Elephant runs down in the soil layer, but there won't be any fungus for the Elephants to graze on underground until we break into the caverns down below and release the fungus spores.

We have six Dwarves available in the first wave (after you subtract my pick, the Mechanic / Organizer / Appraiser / Diagnostician / Wound Dresser / Negotiator / Judge of Intent / Axedwarf) with another wave of immigrants due later this year.

Bearing in mind the fort's placement at the intersection of three savage biomes and also the unfriendly neighbors (Gobbos and Tree Huggers), I gave a couple of our Dwarves heavy duty military skills, plus teaching ability. The two miners are itching to kill something, with skill levels in things like Armor User, Dodger, Wrestler, Biter, etc.

These Dwarves are available:

A female Miner / Armor User / Shield User / Fighter / Dodger / Biter / Axedwarf / Tactician / Teacher / Dancer

A female Miner / Armor User / Shield User / Marksdwarf / Archer / Dodger / Wrestler / Tactician / Teacher / Musician

A male Woodcutter / Carpenter / Bowyer / Ambusher / Wood Burner - Taken by Gawquon3 - Killed in Year 1, crushed under a falling tree.
... a Lumberjack, cut down by a Tree...

A female Mason / Engraver / Furnace Operator / Blacksmith / Gem Cutter / Jeweler / Stone Crafter

A male Planter / Herbalist / Spinner / Thresher / Miller / Weaponsmith (note that I've given him one Moodable level!) - taken by GAGA Extreme

A male Brewer / Cook / Herbalist / Armorsmith (again, one Moodable level). - taken by the HDK

Is anybody up for a game?

Screenshots of the fortress site to follow later.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
This is our entrance tunnel, exactly at ground level.

Orderboard_01.png

Below that are four soil layers (the last one being Fire Clay) and then bedrock.

The volcano is in the south-west corner of the map.

Orderboard_02.jpg

The river connects the lake to the northern map edge.

Orderboard_03.jpg

Hmmm, I haven't played the steam release yet. My last fortress I built an above ground hamlet for some adopted humans and conscripted every human while my dwarfs never touched sunlight.

I'm game.

Hmmm, I haven't played the steam release yet. My last fortress I built an above ground hamlet for some adopted humans and conscripted every human while my dwarfs never touched sunlight.

I'm game.
Pick a Dwarf!

I shall be the male Planter!
When do I get my zombie elephant pet?

Those words may come back to haunt you!
Well, if that should be the case I suppose I can always go and haunt the entire fort afterwards (since I doubt that you will be able to retrieve my body from said elephant).
;)

Orderboard_06.jpg

The clock has only been running a few minutes, and you're drunk already. A true Dwarf!

I've set up some temporary stockpiles so that we can get the wagon unloaded. This temporary camp is about a third of the way up the slope of the volcano. We'll be moving everything underground as soon as the stockpile rooms have been excavated.

Orderboard_05.jpg

Orderboard_07.jpg

I bought two Elephants (but arrived with three?), some Peacocks (same price as Chickens but more meat on them), some dogs (one of which has already seen the inside of a Hippo's mouth, I'm afraid) and two cats. An extra Axe, lots of booze, but the Elephants were so bloody expensive that we are a bit short of other supplies.

No worries... we're sitting on top of a Gold Mine, so we'll just clean out the next few Caravans to arrive.

Those things that look like cauliflower or cabbage are Winter Melons.

Last edited:
There is just SO MUCH to eat on this map... and we havent even planted our own crops yet... that I'm considering opening up a Dwarven Take-Away Restaurant (called HDK's perhaps?) and making our money selling Winter Melon Waffles, Deep-Fried Kittens and Hippo-Burgers.

Maybe we should lay out a field of traps near the river...

There is just SO MUCH to eat on this map... and we havent even planted our own crops yet... that I'm considering opening up a Dwarven Take-Away Restaurant (called HDK's perhaps?) and making our money selling Winter Melon Waffles, Deep-Fried Kittens and Hippo-Burgers.

Maybe we should lay out a field of traps near the river...
Fat Hippo Burgers...on other hand :D

If you do a restaurant can you make an Inn to attackt visitors?

Orderboard_08.jpg

Pardon?

Orderboard_09.jpg

Our Lumberjack Gawquon3 chopped down a tree... and it fell on him and crushed him!

This must be new game content! I've never seen this happen before. Has anyone ever seen a tree fall on a Lumberjack?

Well... HE didn't last long, did he? Gawquon3, should we start a Gawquon4?

• 3Haha
Reactions:
"Art is life," and death, it appears, is trees. Well turnabout is fair play I suppose.

It's happened to me pretty much ever since multi-tiled trees were around. Usually just injury and being knocked out though. iirc it used to always happen when designating part of the tree to be cut that wasn't the trunk, but I feel like that changed.

Perhaps the one true Gawquon will visit one day. The Unnumbered One. A simple peasent, lacking hubris (and skill).