• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yikes! :eek:

Well, so much for peace in the neighborhood. Which will you focus on first, I wonder? Seems like the Turks would give you more of a worry, but it's a great opportunity to pick up some ground to your south.

I am sure you can win, you´re playing as the Mongols after all!!!

I must say it makes a change for you to be in a defensive war doesn't it?

2-header.jpg
Ulugh II's Reign : Part 3
Ulugh had not been foolish enough to expect such an easy ride to the top. He had prepared himself for conflict from Sa'adat, but for the Ottomans to get involved too. That was unexpected. He had thought the old ally to at best remain neutral and at worst offer monetary support to the Crimeans. War though... Full scale war with the Ottomans. It did not promise to be good. But Ulugh had grown up amongst the riders of the Horde and been in many a charge upon rebels and sometimes foreign enemies. He had seen the damage they could do and he was confident.

From early on it became clear the the area around the Caucasus and Crimea was going to be the main battlefront. It was there that the armies of the Horde would meet with Crimean, Shirvanese and Ottoman foes.
203-earlychaos.jpg
The early chaos of the war​

Whilst things were sorted out there Ulugh made a decisive move further south. For years the Khan's of the Horde had looked longingly at the eastern provinces of Shirvan. Now at last the opportunity to take them arose.
202-southnorthoffensive.jpg

The Horde's Persian army heads north to make some acquisitions

Further north though in the main theatre of the war. Things were not faring well. Ottoman troops numbering in the 70 thousand range had poured across the border in several armies. One besieged Jedisan, the second headed for the capital, Volgograd and the third defeated two attacks by the Horde trying to evict them.

The offensive against Shirvan went well. By July Ust Urt had already fallen to the Horde. The next targets were Tenghiz and Karaganda.

In the far north Sibir put forth its best effort laying siege to Tobolsk. But it would be of little consequence, winter would deal with them leaving the Horde free to deal with much bigger enemies.

With the Ottomans continuing to thwart Ulugh's attempts to lift the siege on Volgograd he was forced to pursue other avenues. First he personally led a siege of Crimea. Closer to the capital he regrouped his armies for what he hoped would be a final successful attempt at breaking the Ottoman siege.
204-wholewar.jpg
The war as mid way through 1531​

October was an eventful month. In typical Horde fashion the people of Elbruz revolted against Horde rule.
205-south.jpg

And one more makes God knows how many

Crimea was captured after the walls fell much quicker than expected. But the success here was offset by the capture of Georgia by Shirvan.

Sometime earlier Crimea had captured and occupied Krementjug. Now Ulugh exacted his revenge on them. All the Crimeans were massacred before Ulugh did an about turn and took his army to besiege Kaffa.

Ulugh became smewhat despondent when the good news was out weighed by the bad. Volgograd had fallen to the Ottomans who had fought the Hordes larger army off with ease and minimal losses. In the south too the Ottomans met with success.
206-beginsinthesouth.jpg
They invaded with an army 10 thousand larger than any Horde one in the area. Within only two months they had captured the key forts.
207-notlookinggood.jpg

Kaffa - December 1531
Whilst the sounds of the siege filled the air outside the Khan and his general, Kairwan met inside Ulugh's luxurious golden pavillion. Only one topic was up for discussion, the war so far and where it was headed.
ae_siege1.jpg
A trebuchet, a typical Tatar siege weapon in operation at Kaffa. It is about to become one of the recorded istances of aerial spying in history as it launches two men overhead who will make high resolution sketches of the defences from a birds eye perspective​
The Ottomans were needless to say the biggest concern in this war. Their training was far superior than the Hordes. Only where factors overwhelmed them could the Horde beat them in battle. The success of this war therefore hinged on going for the weakest link in the alliance. That was Shirvan. As the longest standing members of the former Holy Golden Alliance they were now in charge of the war. But much of their lands were in the charge of the Horde (Tenghiz was sure to fall soon). Kairwan advocated striking at them. If they could be forced into submission they would bring peace for the Horde against the Ottomans too. Ulugh was pleased with the plan. But first he wanted to exact his revenge on the Crimeans.

Bastards, don't they have the decency to attack during the winter so that their forces is annhilated by attrition?

Yes, I think Shirvan is the way out of this mess. Do you know how much seperates you and the Turks, tech wise? After the war (and if you suspect more war with them) I would plug up that isthmus southeast of Georgia. Big forts and as many Hordsmen as you can spare, just as guard duty. make it tighter that the DMZ!

And yes, fantastic work developing ariel spying, but won't the recovery of said drawings be a bit hard to recover, much less read what with all that blood. Maybe they sketch as impressionists, with just a hint of dada and early postmodernism thrown in? An early Jackson Pollack, if you will. ;)

Duke of Wellington said:
Scripted event to become Crimea?? When does that happen?

Playing the AGCEEP there was an event that allowed me the choice but I can’t remember when it happened. Certainly before 1550 in fact I'm surprised that it hasn't happened. I think you have to have Crimea as part of the Golden Horde's empire for it to happen. I suppose that would make sense. It gave me their leaders and even changed the color of the country to red.

Joe :D

stnylan - It most certainly does :( But then I think of the fact provinces are now cheaper in BB :)

jwolf - It certainly is the the only way

Lord Skane - Will do

GrimPagan - Just what I was thinking it's not right this way, cowards

coz1 - By the last stages of the war they had 11, I had 3 at the start then 4. They certainly had the CRT advantage all along. Where the Horde had disciplined morale they had very strong :( . Tightening security is going to be the way to go but its going to require more than just on the isthmus. As for the sketches many consider the Horde to be barbarians but this shows they were far ahead of their time in artwork, I guess true genius takes a long time to be appreciated.

Storey - That would make sense, perhaps in future the opportunity will arise but I have to say gold is much nicer on the map than red.

Duke of Wellington said:
It sure does :(
But it make great fun for the AAR reader...

Lurken said:
But it make great fun for the AAR reader...

In my Ayutthaya aar, I had Lt 4 in 1550,:p, at least I was the strongest in the region, which, unfortunately the Duke isn´t...