• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Vito492

Sergeant
65 Badges
Dec 20, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Dungeonland
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • War of the Roses
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • The Showdown Effect
Hi! First of all, thanks for the new bookmark!
I started 3 times as a Byzantine emperor and all my games ended in a ragequit. No matter what I do I have at least 2 factions with 150% power declaring war on me to put some guy on the throne within the first couple of months. With the starting money and loans I can only get about 12k troops but these factions always have more.

Is it a doomed start or is it just me? My last time with Byzantium was well before Holy Fury. Is there any rule of thumb to playing Byzantium?

The Empire does seem more vulnerable to claim factions now. If you take a look at your Honorary title, though, you'll see you now have a LOT more, and you have Scholae now too!

I suspect "that guy" is the Makedon "Co Emperor" - the AI like MAkenones on the throne a LOT - every time I lose the Throne in the Old Gods start I'm able to A: get myself to be Emperor elect and B: launch a faction to put myself on the throne.

Have you considered not starting as the Emperor?

Hi! First of all, thanks for the new bookmark!
I started 3 times as a Byzantine emperor and all my games ended in a ragequit. No matter what I do I have at least 2 factions with 150% power declaring war on me to put some guy on the throne within the first couple of months. With the starting money and loans I can only get about 12k troops but these factions always have more.

Is it a doomed start or is it just me? My last time with Byzantium was well before Holy Fury. Is there any rule of thumb to playing Byzantium?
Cause your playing the wrong guy. Konstantinos Macedonian is the protagonist of 936 alongside Nikephoros Phocas. He’s the Strategos Of Optimatoi And Canon Successor.

Last edited:
Simply because he does not have the mechanics of the Co-Emperor and leave the empire stable with him as second-in-command.

You have two powerful vassalized mercenary companies, the Varangian Guard and the fancy new Scholae Palatinae. Because they're your vassals only you can hire them and you can do so at a greatly reduced cost. Make sure you use them and revolts will quickly become much less troublesome.

Another thing you could do is create kingdoms and hand them out as viceroyalties to reduce the sheer number of vassals you have. And all the vassals you do have remaining afterwards will be very happy about being given a kingdom. The only downside is that you may be a bit short on viable commanders because Imperial Elective mandates that your commanders have to be landed, but if you are using your mercenaries you can use their commanders to lead even if you don't have any of your own.

Reactions:
the fancy new Scholae Palatinae

Whoa, they added a new vassal mercenary company for the ERE? Awesome!

I hope the Fatimids get the Mamluks eventually.

Yes, they added a new vassal mercenary company for the real Roman Empire and oh boy is it brutal. It's composed out of 22.5% Horse Archers and 77.5% Heavy Cavalry. It makes the Templars look like a joke.

Last edited:
Yes, they added a new vassal mercenary company for the real Roman Empire and oh boy is it brutal. It's composed out of 22.5% Horse Archers and 77.5% Heavy Cavalry. It makes the Templars look like a joke.
Based off standard Imperial Guard Formations though it’s ownly 1200 Men. I wouldn’t compare it to the Templars.

Why would you ragequit upon being deposed?

I simply set myself an aim of winning this initial wave of revolts, and once that fails a couple of times... I’m sure you’ve all been there :p

Anyway, I’ve restarted as the Makedon and now it’s smooth sailing, except for a possible gameover soon, as I am 50 year old chaste scholar with no male heir yet. But this time I role play so it’ll part of the fun.

Thanks for all your replies!

Only at a .10 rate and its inactive after 1081 so 1200 is their max.

I believe that is only if you start after 1081, so they shouldn't go inactive automatically if you start before that but come up to that point in time.

What's fun when playing in the Byzantine Empire, no matter the bookmark, is precisely the "game of thrones". If you don't enjoy the risk of losing the prophyrian throne to a powerful strategos, Byzance is probably not the best pick for you.
I know some people will tell you that you can prevent anyone else to access the throne, but by doing that you would just avoid what makes the Byzantine empire different from all other empires.

I find it more fun to have to step down from time to time, so you can reconquer the throne (peacefully or not) when you have a worthy character. It's not even roleplay, it's just that playing an an invicible emperor is boring.

• 1Like
Reactions:
What's fun when playing in the Byzantine Empire, no matter the bookmark, is precisely the "game of thrones". If you don't enjoy the risk of losing the prophyrian throne to a powerful strategos, Byzance is probably not the best pick for you.
I know some people will tell you that you can prevent anyone else to access the throne, but by doing that you would just avoid what makes the Byzantine empire different from all other empires.

I find it more fun to have to step down from time to time, so you can reconquer the throne (peacefully or not) when you have a worthy character. It's not even roleplay, it's just that playing an an invicible emperor is boring.

You have to remember that this succession system has only existed for just over six months, while the game has existed for well over seven years. Before Holy Fury the Byzantine Empire had access to succession laws like everyone else, and most players played it on primogeniture. One of its big draws was that children born in the purple took precedence, i.e. it was primogeniture only among the purples, then the non-purples coming after.

On top of that, you did have the choice of giving the Despot title to a non-purple child, which would make it equal to the purples and thus able to take precedence over them while being older. From what I understand the title is just a points boost under the new system.

From the perspective of someone having played and enjoyed this system for years and years and years, perhaps it becomes a bit easier to understand why some people dislike the new system? :)

That being said, I haven't tried the new system yet, but I do think it's a good idea and I support its introduction.

I’ve started my first Byzantine-proper game with Iron Century, I was very excited to play as Constantine VII. I don’t consider myself to be that great of a player so it seems very challenging (in a fun way).

What’s a good way to keep your Strategoi from becoming too powerful? I understand I can revoke Theme’s, but then whom do I give them too? Is it bad to give someone 2 Theme titles? That’s not something i would usually do with hereditary Dukedoms.
Same question when I create the Viceroyal King titles, who should they go to?

Nikephoros is the main rival it seems (makes sense), and the Strategos of Trebizond is also very strong, I think he has all the Count titles in his Theme. Is it as simple as revoking the Themes, thus disallowing them Commander titles and cutting their voting power?

Also, I never played before the new Imperial Elective system but I really like it. Makes the Empire feel very unique and different, as it should.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Based off standard Imperial Guard Formations though it’s ownly 1200 Men. I wouldn’t compare it to the Templars.
The Walls of Constantinople broke before the Guard did...