• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What's fun when playing in the Byzantine Empire, no matter the bookmark, is precisely the "game of thrones". If you don't enjoy the risk of losing the prophyrian throne to a powerful strategos, Byzance is probably not the best pick for you.
I know some people will tell you that you can prevent anyone else to access the throne, but by doing that you would just avoid what makes the Byzantine empire different from all other empires.

I find it more fun to have to step down from time to time, so you can reconquer the throne (peacefully or not) when you have a worthy character. It's not even roleplay, it's just that playing an an invicible emperor is boring.
I don't know why but it remind me of the life of Justinian II...

Sorry should have been more specific. I doubt we will see a Symbasileus title. I didn’t add it cause mechanically I didn’t want it to just be Despot.
In terms of mechanics a Symbasileus title could allow you to have born in the purple sons from your designated heir(s), just like it was historically the case, for instance Basil II was born one year before Romanos II became sole emperor, but in the game children born in the same identical situation wouldn't have the born in the purple trait. This is possibly the most important aspect of a Symbasileus title and I'm honestly puzzled about its absence in the game, two different mods implemented it in a similar fashion in the past months (Co-Emperors and Symbasileuses for Byzantine Emperors and the HIP-only Zeto e Basilisses).

Last edited:
The whole born in the purple preference is historical fiction; it never happened that way.

Maybe it was the Cupbearer title?

My son had Sebastos and Cupbearer titles, and when I took them off (I took them both off, I didn’t experiment with one or the other) the option for giving the Despot titles appeared.

I’ve been playing for a while without really using the titles, other than for my kids, most of the vassals I have them to at first are now dead . I find I can manage opinions fine without them. That’s just me though, I don’t like giving my vassals more prestige. And the opinion malus for revoking it is really harsh.

Last edited:
Maybe it was the Cupbearer title?

My son had Sebastos and Cupbearer titles, and when I took them off (I took them both off, I didn’t experiment with one or the other) the option for giving the Despot titles appeared.

I’ve been playing for a while without really using the titles, other than for my kids, most of the vassals I have them to at first are now dead . I find I can manage opinions fine without them. That’s just me though, I don’t like giving my vassals more prestige. And the opinion malus for revoking it is really harsh.
You're right, it was the Cupbearer, it's another unique title, like the Despot. Normally you can't even hand out the Cupbeaerer title as the Roman/Byzantine emperor, but I believe that the game doesn't clean out minor titles when you become Emperor (and you can keep your landless commanders as well, in my experience).

Hi! First of all, thanks for the new bookmark!
I started 3 times as a Byzantine emperor and all my games ended in a ragequit. No matter what I do I have at least 2 factions with 150% power declaring war on me to put some guy on the throne within the first couple of months. With the starting money and loans I can only get about 12k troops but these factions always have more.

Is it a doomed start or is it just me? My last time with Byzantium was well before Holy Fury. Is there any rule of thumb to playing Byzantium?

Sorry for necro-ing but I thought this Wikipedia quote would help explain why that guy has so much support for emperor: Lekepanos wasn’t popular. (Currently playing a game as the Skleroi in iron century start which helped me find this thread)

Having lived long under constant threat of deposition -or worse- by the Lekapenoi family, Constantine VII was extremely resentful of them. In his De Administrando Imperio manual written for his son and successor, Romanus II, he minces no words about his late father-in-law: "the lord Romanus the Emperor was an idiot and an illiterate man, neither bred in the high imperial manner, nor following Roman custom from the beginning, nor of imperial or noble descent, and therefore the more rude and authoritarian in doing most things ... for his beliefs were uncouth, obstinate, ignorant of what is good, and unwilling to adhere to what is right and proper."

The Empire does seem more vulnerable to claim factions now. If you take a look at your Honorary title, though, you'll see you now have a LOT more, and you have Scholae now too!

I suspect "that guy" is the Makedon "Co Emperor" - the AI like MAkenones on the throne a LOT - every time I lose the Throne in the Old Gods start I'm able to A: get myself to be Emperor elect and B: launch a faction to put myself on the throne.

Have you considered not starting as the Emperor?
I'm trying to play as konstantinos of nicomedia.
But once I become emperor what am I to do to prevent dangerous factions?

I was wondering how to go about granting these wretches a kingdom title as it says I can create 6 of them.

I wish Eastern Rome was still using the Legion System and the old form of emporership and governors for provinces.

It seems hard to keep these duchys from plotting and forming against me .

Is there a way to get an heir of multiple kids and grant those 6 kingdom titles to keep them loyal?

I'm trying to play as konstantinos of nicomedia.
But once I become emperor what am I to do to prevent dangerous factions?

I was wondering how to go about granting these wretches a kingdom title as it says I can create 6 of them.

I wish Eastern Rome was still using the Legion System and the old form of emporership and governors for provinces.

It seems hard to keep these duchys from plotting and forming against me .

Is there a way to get an heir of multiple kids and grant those 6 kingdom titles to keep them loyal?
I do like giving out kingdom viceryalties, keeps them nice and loyal and decreases the direct subjects (amount). Is a tad more dangerous than as a feudal lord tho.