• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think the last poster missed that in the many of those cultures Ali and Muhammad are listed right after eachother. So I don't think they are ment to be seperate names but one name Ali Muhammad. There is of course few that list only Ali or just Muhammad, but when they are right after eachother I think they should be considered as one name.

Can you show me anything in cultures.txt that would indicate to the game engine that "Ali Muhammad" was supposed to be one name? Names in cultures.txt are separated by spaces. In each instance, "Ali" and "Muhammad" are separated by a space. There would have to be some way to indicate that "Ali Muhammad" was supposed to be a single name, not two separate names, and I don't see anything that does.

Better yet, can you show me a screen shot of a character actually named "Ali Muhammad"?

Sure? I only know the connection to Adalwolf. Adolf is the short form from Adalwolf. The old english ead is in German Ot. Like Otto. This would Otolf not Adolf. I don't know any other meaning.

See for instance.I explained this in the previous posts.

More to the point, if for some reason an Englishman encountered a name "Adolf" in the 11th or 12th centuries they would process it as Eadulf, a completely separate name from Æthelwulf/Adalwulf/Odelwolf/Alulf/Athalulf /Adelolf. On that basis linking Æthelwulf to Adolf is questionable.

This would Otolf not Adolf. I don't know any other meaning.

Not quite how it works. Newly coined of course Eadulf could look like Otolf or Odulf in the south of Germany, but even there it could in practice to appear Adulf because of Frankish and Saxon influences on spelling conventions.

Last edited:
Two more:

Eon (Breton) is Ian, which I think is linked with John.

Drogo (Norman) and Drogon (Breton) should be linked.

See for instance.I explained this in the previous posts.

More to the point, if for some reason an Englishman encountered a name "Adolf" in the 11th or 12th centuries they would process it as Eadulf, a completely separate name from Æthelwulf/Adalwulf/Odelwolf/Alulf/Athalulf /Adelolf. On that basis linking Æthelwulf to Adolf is questionable.

Not quite how it works. Newly coined of course Eadulf could look like Otolf or Odulf in the south of Germany, but even there it could in practice to appear Adulf because of Frankish and Saxon influences on spelling conventions.

Adolf and Adelolf are basically the Same name. Adolf is just the modern spelling of that name. Adelolf is not in the German nameslist, because all German names use the modern spelling.

Can you show me anything in cultures.txt that would indicate to the game engine that "Ali Muhammad" was supposed to be one name? Names in cultures.txt are separated by spaces. In each instance, "Ali" and "Muhammad" are separated by a space. There would have to be some way to indicate that "Ali Muhammad" was supposed to be a single name, not two separate names, and I don't see anything that does.

Better yet, can you show me a screen shot of a character actually named "Ali Muhammad"?

There is several two part names. Catalan has several of them Riambau Ramon, Ramon Berenguer, Ramon Borrell and Ramon Flec. They are currently wrongly linked and little bit a mess anyway. In that same name list is two correctly listed two part names like Berenguer Ramon and Berenguer Renard using " marks as defining them as the same name. I also can vouch that with those marks the game considers it one name as I have had character thats was named Berenguer Ramon in my recent game.

For some odd reason I can't edit my recent post so have to post again.

Its impossible to get a screen shot as currently the name is not working right as its missing the " marks defining it as one name. Not to mention that the name is on odd place in the cultures.txt files when they mostly are in alphabetical order.

Henrik_Henry (Norwegian) seems to be missing; it may be intentional but I'm not sure why those links should exist for Danish and Swedish names but not Norwegian.

Hardeknut (Danish) should in fact be spelled Hardeknud (which it is in the Danish character history file) and linked with _Knut.

ffffffffffffffffff.
I've typed a load of names but I've managed to lost that post :(
A lot of South Slavic, Romanian, Greek and Italian names are not properly linked :(

PLEASE re-do the post. :(

We need to fix them all! :D

(You should do these things in Notepad -- save as you go, and then paste here).

Here's what I use as Bulgarian names:
Code:
male_names = {
			Aldimir Aleksandar_Alexander Aleksii_Alexis Andrei_Andrew Andronik_Andronicus Asen Balin Bogomil Boris Borislav Boril Boyan Branimir
			Damyan Danail_Daniel Dimitar_Demetrius Dionisii_Dionysus Dobromir Dobrotitza Dragoman Dragomir Evtimii Frujin German Gavril_Gabriel Georgi_George Grigorii_Gregory
			Hriz Iliya Ioakim Ivan_John Jeronim Konstantin_Constantine Koloman_Koloman Kozma_Cosma Kiril_Cyril Kliment Krasimir Kulin Lazar Luka Ljubomir Manuil Marko_Marcus
			Matei_Matthew Metodii Mihail_Michael Miroslav_Miroslav Momchil Neofit Nikola_Nicholas Ognjan Pavel_Paul Petar_Peter Presian Radoslav Radomir Roman_Roman Samuil_Samuel
			Sava Shishman Simeon_Simon Stanislav_Stanislav Stefan_Stephen Stracimir Strez Svetoslav_Sviatoslav Teodor_Theodore Toma_Thomas Trifon Vasilii_Basil
			Vladimir_Vladimir Vladislav_Vladislav
		}

female_names = {
			Aleksandra Ana_Anna Anastasia_Anastasia Bilyana Bogdana Borislava Boyana Desislava Elena_Helen Elisaveta_Elisabeth Evdokiya Gergana Irina_Irene Iskra Ivana_Joan Kera Keraca Kosara Lidiya Lilyana
			Ljubomira Maria_Maria Miroslava Nadejda Nevena Petka Rada Radomira Rajna Raya Rositsa Slava Snezhana Sofia_Sophia Stefania_Stephania Tereza_Teresa Todora_Theodora Varvara Vasilisa Yana Yoana
		}

Most of the South Slavic original names in CK2 are pretty mixed up between each other. Some more links can be done with Greek and Russian names, those are just the default links.

BTW have you tried to analyse the names using Levenshtein distance? Might pick some interesting finds.

Croatian:
Andrija - Andrew
Castimir - Kazimierz
Branimir - Branimir (Serbian, Pommeranian)
Dimitar - Demetrius
Dobromir - Dobromir (Polish)
Gaspar - Gaspare (Italian)
Igor - Igor (Russian)
Ladislav - Vladislav
Kresimir - Kresimir (Serbian)
Mihajlo - Michael
Mislav - Mislav (Serbian)
Radomir - Radomir (Pommeranian)
Sebeslav - Sobeslaus
Stjepan - Stephen
Teodor - Theodore
Tomislav - Tomislav (Serbian)
Vukan - Vukan (Serbian)
Zvonimir - Zvonimir (Serbian)

Serbian:
Radoslav - Radoslav (Pommeranian)
Kosmin - Cosma?
Dmitar - Demetrius
Krsto - Christopher
Lazar - Lazaros (Greek)
Luka - Lucas
Mircea - Mircea (Romanian)
Mihailo - Michael
Teodosije - Theodore?

Romanian:
Carol - Charles
Claudiu - Claudio (Italian)
Damjan - Damianos (Greek)
Dumitru - Demetirus
Emerik - Amalric
Iosif - Joseph
Ladislau - Vladislav
Petre - Peter
Segiu - Sergios (Greek)
Valeriu - Valerios (Greek)
Veaceslav (Vaclav)

Greek:
Eugenios - Eugene
Innokentios - Innoocenzo (Italian)
Isaakios - Isaac
Loukas - Luke
Manuel - Manuel
Maurikios - Maurice (Frankish/English)
Raphail - Rafaello (Italian)
Tiberios - Tiberias
Damianos - Damian

Russian
Nikita - Niketas (Greek)

Italian
Abelardo - Abelard (Norman)
Adelfo - Adolf (German)
Amadeo - Amadeus (German)
Anastasio - Anastasios (Greek)
Arsenio - Arsenios (Greek)
Bruno - Bruno (German)
Carlo - Charles
Cesare - Kaisarios (Greek)
Comita - Komitas (Greek)
Cosimo - Cosma
Germano - Germanos (Greek)
Giulio - Julian
Giovanni - John
Lodovico - Louis
Sergio - Sergios (Greek)
Oreste - Orestes (Greek)
Pagano - Pagan
Lazzaro - Lazaros (Greek)
Leopoldo - Leopold (German)
Lionello - Lionel (English)
Luca - Lucas
Luigi - Louis
Ippolito - Hippolytos (Greek)
Tommaso - Thomas
Urbano - Urban
Valerio - Valerios (Greek)
Zaccaria - Zacharios (Greek)
Paolo - Paul
Lorenzo - Laurence
Manfredo - Manfred (German)
Giuseppe - Joseph

Bohemian
Markvart - Markward (German)
Rostislav - Rostislav (Pommeranian, Russian)

Pommeranian
Bezprzym - Bezprym (Polish)

Excellent list. I've added them all.

I should point out that there are actually more unlinked Italian names, such as Arcibaldo_Archibald. I have a list somewhere, I'll post it here shortly.

Igor should link with _Ingvar lik the portuguese Igor. (The russian Igor is from the scandinavian Ingvar)

The serbian Mihovil is a croatian name for Michael. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michele_Carlo_Frari (Mihovil translatet to Michele in italian)

And yes. Teodosije should be linked with the greek Theodosios.