• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is really awesome work buddy. Please keep it. Any other names (Magyar or otherwise) you can help link up is great -- it's all for the greater good. :)

Silvester (Norman) / Silvestro (Italian) and Szilveszter (Magyar) aren't linked either by the way.

Continuing the latin version of names:
Tibor_Tiberius/Tiberias
Kálmán_Comnenus
Orbán_Urban
Béla_Belias
Kornél_Cornelius

I would also like to recommend new names to the magyar list:
Ádám_Adam
Krisztián_Christian

A question: If a name is spelled exactly the same in all languages, does it need to be linked? My guess would be "no", but depending on how name linking is implemented I could be wrong about that.

For example, "Ibrahim" is spelled the same in all Arabic dialects and I can't find any other culture that uses any variant of "Abraham". So I'm hoping that "Ibrahim_Ibrahim" is unnecessary.

I posted this in the bug reports forum, but it was suggested that I post this here too. I've found a section of the Egyptian Arabic names where it appears that some male names are listed as female. Here's the relevant part of the file:

Code:
	egyptian_arabic = {
		graphical_culture = muslimgfx #arabicgfx

color = { 0.1 0.6 0.1 }

male_names = {
			Abdul-Aziz Abdul-Haq Abdul-Madjid Abdul-Salaam Abdullah Adnan Ahmad Akbar Alam Ali Muhammad Amr Asim Badr Bashir Dawlat AbuBakr Mukhtar
			Murad Musa Muzaffaraddin Ra'uf Murshid Nabil Nasir Nassib Nuraddin Qadir Rafiq Ridwan Sabah Salim Sha'ban Sharif Suhail Tajaddin Tayyib
			Usama Walid Yassir Zakariyah
		}
		female_names = {
			Alia Andali Badiat Fatima Halima Inas Jamila Khadija Majida Nabila Nura Radiya Rana Safiya Samira Suhaila Thuriya Zara
			Farhan Firuz Ghiyasaddin Hakam Hammud Hisham Hussayn Ibrahim Mukhtar Is'mail Izzaddin Jalaaladdin Jawdat Kemaladdin Khalil
			Latif Malik Mehtar Muammar Acenith Amunet Asanet Asenath Asenet Azenet Bast Bastet Beset Cena Hathor Hatshepsut Isis Nefertiti
			Nephthys Sacmis Sakhmet Sekhet Sekhmet Tadinanefer Tawaret Taweret
		}

The entire second line under female_names (Fahran through Khalil) and part of the third (Latif through Muammar) look like male names to me.

Also, a lot of Arabic names do have cognates in European languages, but most of them don't seem to be linked in cultures.txt. Is somebody already looking at those? If not, I could give it a go - I'm by no means an expert in Arabic but I think I can tell which names should be linked.
This is just bizarre. Not only are there two lines of male names, there also seem to be many names drawn from... Ancient Egypt? That seems wildly anachronistic.

First round of Arabic linkage - just male names for now:

bedouin_arabic male: Jibril_Gabriel Musa_Moses Suleyman_Solomon Ya'qub_Jacob Yusuf_Joseph Is'mail_Ishmael

maghreb_arabic male: Musa_Moses Ilyas_Elijah Ishaq_Isaac Yahya_John Is'mail_Ishmael

levantine_arabic male: Musa_Moses Ya'qub_Jacob Da'ud_David Is'mail_Ishmael

egyptian_arabic male: Musa_Moses Is'mail_Ishmael Zakariyah_Zacharias

andalusian_arabic male: Musa_Moses Suleyman_Solomon Isma'il_Ishmael

And a few links in other languages necessary to make the above work:

greek male: Zacharias_Zacharias

hungarian male: Mózes_Moses Salamon_Solomon Izsák_Isaac

russian male: Iliya_Elijah

There should probably be some links between these and a few other languages too - Turkish, for example - but I haven't tackled that yet.

A question: If a name is spelled exactly the same in all languages, does it need to be linked? My guess would be "no", but depending on how name linking is implemented I could be wrong about that.

No, names always need to be linked if you want the game to know they are the 'same'.

Then unfortunately that creates even more problems as I always assumed identical names would be treated as the same, and there are a number of unlinked identical names.

I have all the same names listed in the file I'm making so you can check them from there if you haven't got them before I finish it. Got to Russian names so only eleven cultures to go. Just to note don't start to link all the "same" names as some of them aren't really anyway related to eachother even if they are spelled the same.

Yes, but my main cultures.txt is modified somewhat due to me having my own culture setup. There are more names though, and many, many corrections.

I will PM you it if you are interested. Hopefully someone is updating the vanilla file with all of these. :blush:

Greek male:
Christophoros_Christopher
Konstantinos_Constantine (Konstantios is a very likely a typo)
Nikodemos_Nicodemus

Greek female:
Aikaterine_Catherine

If less comon names should also be linked, then Barbara in German, Greek and Serbian, Bohemian Barbora and Russian Varvara should be.

Thanks a lot Bossman. :)

So that reminds me -- what other names do we know of that are identical but not linked? Barbara's a good example and I'm glad someone noticed it.

Konstantinos_Constantine (Konstantios is a very likely a typo)

Konstantios and Konstantinos are 2 different Greek names and should not be linked together since that will mess up the numbering of the Byzantine Emperors. Since there were emperors named Konstantinos and Konstantios, who were numbered differently.

Currently making a culture.txt for vanilla adding all the changes currently posted. I will add it to this post when its done

All changes up to this post is done with the exception of:
Sir Leningrad's Post of new names on page 3.
Dutch and Scottish Alwin could be either Saxon Æthelwine or Elfwine.
Hungarian from_dynasty_suffix = "i"

Someone else please pick it up and update it as i'm busy with my own mods.

Community's Name Mod
http://www.mediafire.com/?ni3d56x8b4383mu

Last edited:
Konstantios and Konstantinos are 2 different Greek names and should not be linked together since that will mess up the numbering of the Byzantine Emperors. Since there were emperors named Konstantinos and Konstantios, who were numbered differently.

Ok, but why is Konstantios linked to "Constantine" instead of Konstantinos? All emperors known as "Constantine" in English are named "Konstantinos" in the game files.

That sounds like a bug.

Confirmed. In vanilla cultures.txt under greek there is:

Konstantinos Konstantios_Constantine

I looked up this guy on Wikipedia and it says the name is Latinized as Constantius, whereas Konstantinos would be Latinized as Constantine (which is the name of many Roman emperors).

So yeah, I think the wrong name is linked; it should be:

Konstantinos_Constantine Konstantios_Constantius

First round of Arabic linkage - just male names for now:

bedouin_arabic male: Jibril_Gabriel Musa_Moses Suleyman_Solomon Ya'qub_Jacob Yusuf_Joseph Is'mail_Ishmael

maghreb_arabic male: Musa_Moses Ilyas_Elijah Ishaq_Isaac Yahya_John Is'mail_Ishmael

levantine_arabic male: Musa_Moses Ya'qub_Jacob Da'ud_David Is'mail_Ishmael

egyptian_arabic male: Musa_Moses Is'mail_Ishmael Zakariyah_Zacharias

andalusian_arabic male: Musa_Moses Suleyman_Solomon Isma'il_Ishmael

And a few links in other languages necessary to make the above work:

greek male: Zacharias_Zacharias

hungarian male: Mózes_Moses Salamon_Solomon Izsák_Isaac

russian male: Iliya_Elijah

There should probably be some links between these and a few other languages too - Turkish, for example - but I haven't tackled that yet.

Should Muslim names really be linked with Christian names ?

The linking of the names does 2 things:
1. It makes the numbering of rulers correct between different cultural-names
2. Characters who change culture get the equivalent name in their new culture

For 1, I don't think that lets say a Scottish duke of Damascus named David would call himself David III because there already were two Muslim Da'ud before him or vice-versa.

For 2, this happens only very rarely and people usually choose a whole different name if they converted, so having this link isn't that important IMHO.

Should Muslim names really be linked with Christian names ?

The problem is... This are arabic names not muslim names. This make a different. It can also give christian arabs. Rare but possible. I don't know what we shall do, its a good question.

Edit: I think paradox should to something there... There were also christian mongols. Numbering should be only between religous groups (and Pagans) happen. So... If a Muslime ruler change to Christian the numbering starts again.

Hm... But thats also not really good... I don't think Louis X. of France whould call himseel Louis because he is a Muslim... So also in the other way. If Sheikh Da'id X. change to Christian, I think he will be David/Da'id X. Not I. Hm...

Last edited: