• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
GoreBag, if you have any knowledge of Irish and Scots Gaelic names then I'd like to PM you about something if I may?

I posted this in the bug reports forum, but it was suggested that I post this here too. I've found a section of the Egyptian Arabic names where it appears that some male names are listed as female. Here's the relevant part of the file:

Code:
	egyptian_arabic = {
		graphical_culture = muslimgfx #arabicgfx

color = { 0.1 0.6 0.1 }

male_names = {
			Abdul-Aziz Abdul-Haq Abdul-Madjid Abdul-Salaam Abdullah Adnan Ahmad Akbar Alam Ali Muhammad Amr Asim Badr Bashir Dawlat AbuBakr Mukhtar
			Murad Musa Muzaffaraddin Ra'uf Murshid Nabil Nasir Nassib Nuraddin Qadir Rafiq Ridwan Sabah Salim Sha'ban Sharif Suhail Tajaddin Tayyib
			Usama Walid Yassir Zakariyah
		}
		female_names = {
			Alia Andali Badiat Fatima Halima Inas Jamila Khadija Majida Nabila Nura Radiya Rana Safiya Samira Suhaila Thuriya Zara
			Farhan Firuz Ghiyasaddin Hakam Hammud Hisham Hussayn Ibrahim Mukhtar Is'mail Izzaddin Jalaaladdin Jawdat Kemaladdin Khalil
			Latif Malik Mehtar Muammar Acenith Amunet Asanet Asenath Asenet Azenet Bast Bastet Beset Cena Hathor Hatshepsut Isis Nefertiti
			Nephthys Sacmis Sakhmet Sekhet Sekhmet Tadinanefer Tawaret Taweret
		}

The entire second line under female_names (Fahran through Khalil) and part of the third (Latif through Muammar) look like male names to me.

Also, a lot of Arabic names do have cognates in European languages, but most of them don't seem to be linked in cultures.txt. Is somebody already looking at those? If not, I could give it a go - I'm by no means an expert in Arabic but I think I can tell which names should be linked.

Please, any and all help is appreciated. I don't think anyone has done any research into Arab names -- I've certainly not seen any suggestions. The more of these names we link up the fewer regnal name mismatches there will be. :)

I don't think the newly conquering christian king of al andulus would count the previous arab kings in his regnal title.
Yeah but to be fair you could say the same of Pagan realms, but we don't make that distinction. I think the safe bet is to link all names without prejudice.

You don't wave candy in front of an excited child only to slap the child and tell him your future wife's more important. :p

Such a tool would be great -- I hope one day you get time to do it. :(
Hehe, sorry man, likely it won't be before August.

It shouldn't even be that difficult... before all the wedding stress started, I was teaching myself C++, and even as a total noob I could see it wouldn't be that difficult. All you would need to know is
- how to read from a text file into a char ("iostream", "cin", etc)
- how to put all the chars into vector classes (one 2 x n vector per culture and gender, holding the names and their cross-link identifiers)
- how to write back into a text file (using "cout" presumably)

You would ideally need two small, compact tools: A parser which reads the paradox-made TXT file with the names lists and compiles all the names in a bunch of string vectors, and then writes from the string vectors into a CSV file, that you could open in excel. A second (optional) tool would let you read an (edited) CSV file and write it back as a cultures file.

In the C++ book I never got to the part where it describes how to program a parser... I'm not even sure it's in the book, but in any case the STL library should have plenty of tools for the job... if it was done in Java perhaps one could also use a regular expression function to make it all much more compact. I know how to do it in Matlab already.

Would that also be Brian or is it a different name?

Bran is its own name. It comes from welsh and irish mythology and means raven. It has nothing to do with Brian. Anybody who watches or reads Game of Thrones should see this as interesting revelation if they didn't know it yet.

Bran is its own name. It comes from welsh and irish mythology and means raven. It has nothing to do with Brian. Anybody who watches or reads Game of Thrones should see this as interesting revelation if they didn't know it yet.

Bran is just his nickname his actual name is Brandon.

Glade to see this stickied looks like a sign that this will be added in a future patch soon. :)

I reviewed the Hungarian names and here is what I've got.

First of all the respective line should be replaced with:
from_dynasty_suffix = "i"
I used it in my own mod, it works.

Male names:
Ágoston_August
Béla is NOT Albert (Albert is Albert)
Boldizsár_Balthasar
Endre_Andrew (there is also an András_Andrew but the two names are the same, Endre being an anachronism)
Fülöp_Phillip
Frigyes_Frederick
Gáspár_Caspar
Gergely_Gregory
Izsák_Isaac
Jenő_Eugene
Kristóf_Christopher
László_Vladislav
Lázár_Lazarus
Lukács_Lucas
Máté_Matthew
Mátyás_Mathias (originally this is Matthew)
Miklós_Nicolas
Mózes_Moses
Oszkár_Oscar
Pál_Paul
Péter_Peter
Tacsony is spelled correctly as Taksony
Tamás_Thomas
Vilmos_William

Female names:
Dorottya_Dorothy
Erzsébet_Elisabeth
Gizella_Giselle
Katalin_Catherine
Krisztina_Christine
Luca_Lucia
Margit_Margaret
Panni and Piroska is missing a space and so don't display correctly in game
Zsófia_Sophia
Zsuzsa_Susan
Zsanett_Joan

I hope it helps.

I'll add the equivalent in catalan and castillian/spanish of many you have posted. Also, a couple in italian or occitan.

Adrian, Adrià (cat), Adrián (cas)
Lothaire, Lotari (cat), Lotario (cas)
Anthony, Antoni (cat), Antonio (cas)
Antonia, Antònia (cat), Antonia (cas)
Philip, Felip (cat), Felipe (cas)
Frederick, Federic (cat), Fadrique/Federico (cas)
Ferdinand, Ferràn (cat), Fernando (cas)
Raimond (Fra), Ramon (cat), Ramón (cas)
Baldwin, Balduí (cat), Balduino (cas)
Adeltrudis (Occ), Gertrudis (cat), Gertrudis (cas)
Timothy, Timoteu (cat), Timoteo (cas)
Barbara, Bàrbara (cat), Bárbara (cas)
Theodore, Teodosi (cat), Teodosio (cas)
Roland (Fra), Roland (cat), Rolando (cas), Rolando (Ita), Ronaldo (Por)
Gilbert, Gisbert (cat), Gilberto (Cas)
Roger, Roger (cat), Rogelio (cas), Rugiero (Ita)
David, David (cat), David (cas)
Ambrose, Ambrosi (cat), Ambrosio (cas)
Gerald, Gerard (cat), Gerardo (cas)
William, Guillem (cat), Guilhèm (Occ), Guillermo (cas)
Arnold, Arnau (cat), Arnaut (occ), Arnaldo (ita)
John, Joan (cat), Juan (cat)
Joan, Joana (cat), Joana (Occ), Juana (Cas)
Janet, Juanita (cas, literally, although just Juana (Jane) is in use for aristocracy names)
Edward, Eduard (cat), Eduardo (Cas)
Paul, Pau (cat), Pau (occ), Pablo (cas)
Peter, Pere (cat), Pere (occ), Pedro (cas)
Sesto, Sixt (cat), Sexto (cas)
Thomas, Tomàs (cat), Tomás (cas)
Alice, Alicia (cat), Alícia (cas)
Eve, Eva (cat), Eva (cas)
Flora, Flora (cat), Flora (cas)
Brigid, Brígida (cat), Brigida (cas)
Matilda, Matilda (cat), Matilda (cas)
Mary, Maria (cat), Maria (cat)
Agnes, Agnès (cat), Agnès (occ), Agnés (cas)
Elisabeth, Elisabet (cat), Elisa (cas)
James, Jaume (cat), Jaime (cas)
Alexander, Alexandre (cat), Alejandro (cas)
Gabriel, Gabriel (cat), Gabriel (cas)
Jonah, Jonàs (cat), Jonàs (Occ), Jonás (cas)
Adrian, Adrià (cat), Adrián (cas)
Rudolph, Rodolf (cat), Rodolfo (cas), Rodolfo (Ita)
Stephen, Esteve (cat), Esteban (cas)
Hugh, Hug (cat), Hug (occ), Hugo (cas)
Otto (Ger), Otó (cat), Otó (occ), Otón (cas)
Henry, Enric (cat), Enrique (cas)
Nicola (Ita), Nicolàs (cat), Nicolás (cas)
Casimir (Pom), Casimir (cat), Casimiro (cas)
Dominic, Dominic (cat), Dominique (cas), Dominico (ita)

This is amazing work, plus I see we are now locked at the top of the page. Really happy to see so much community spirit. :)

HolyOne, your list has reminded me that Augustin (German) and Augusto (Italian) are not linked thru _Augustus either. I am guessing they ought to be.

Should there not be an _Augustus name for the Greeks? I mean presumably it was a very royal name?

Also I can't find any names linked thru _Balthasar.

EDIT: Also should Lampert_Lambert be linked for the Magyar names? There's also Gábriel_Gabriel. And just out of curiosity, is Salamon the same name (or a version of) Solomon?

Last edited:
I often just gave the english/latin version of names so they can be more easily identified and linked if necessary. Names such as Balthasar, Lazarus or Isaac are of biblical origin and so there is a good chance there may be corresponding versions in other cultures.

edit: There were a few I did not include with just a few letter difference because there were bigger issues, but yes Salamon is Solomon, also Sámuel is Samuel, Oszkár=Oscar

Last edited: