• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes, but my main cultures.txt is modified somewhat due to me having my own culture setup. There are more names though, and many, many corrections.

I will PM you it if you are interested. Hopefully someone is updating the vanilla file with all of these. :blush:
Sure, if you don't think it will mess up my save games (using the mod ckplus).

Should Muslim names really be linked with Christian names ?

The linking of the names does 2 things:
1. It makes the numbering of rulers correct between different cultural-names
2. Characters who change culture get the equivalent name in their new culture

For 1, I don't think that lets say a Scottish duke of Damascus named David would call himself David III because there already were two Muslim Da'ud before him or vice-versa.

For 2, this happens only very rarely and people usually choose a whole different name if they converted, so having this link isn't that important IMHO.

The thing is, Andalusian Arabic already has several names linked to European names in the vanilla cultures.txt, one of them being Da'ud_David. So Paradox set the precedent. Sure, I get what you're saying, but the problem is that cultures.txt is already inconsistent in the way it handles this sort of cross-cultural linkage. So we need to go either all the way towards linking them, or all the way towards unlinking them even though Paradox had already linked them. Make your choice.

I agree with you there Zebediah. I still think all names should be linked where applicable, which I intend to do in my mod. But when it comes to vanilla cultures.txt, as you say, I think they ought to be consistent.

It's a shame we can't specify individual characters' names (in the character history files) to be excluded from being linked -- as useless a general feature as this may sound, it would mean the Plantagenet Edwards would be classed as Edwards I, II and III whilst still letting us link up Eadweard_Edward for Saxon culture. There may be other examples of this sort of thing that I am unaware of. Ideally we could even exclude certain cultures from using regnal titles at all, such as Saxons and Mongols. That would be absolutely fantastic, and could just be a modifier in those cultures' sections in cultures.txt

By the way, try running CK II thru Jamie's validator -- it finds duplicate names (there are lots for Ethiopian culture for example) as well as loads of stuff like misspelt traits and mismatching character birth/death dates.

The turkish Ahmet and the arabic (maghreb, egyptian, andalusian) and persian Ahmad should be linked.

Also arabic Al'a'addin and turkish Alaeddin. I will search some more.

I've been working on that, actually. There are quite a few Arabic names that made their way into Turkish and Persian, and I've been cross-referencing them. I hope to have that round of links posted later today.

Does anyone know of any reasonably reliable sources for medieval Ethiopian/Nubian names? The current batch seems a real mess (many of them are listed under both male and female) and I can't help but think that whole culture group could be improved in a patch.

Second round of Arabic male names, with links to Turkish and Persian also.

bedouin_arabic male: Abdullah_Abdullah AbuBakr_AbuBakr Ali_Ali Aram_Aram Fadl_Fadl Hasan_Hasan Hussayn_Hussayn Ibrahim_Abraham Faruk_Faruk Is'mail_Ishmael Jibril_Gabriel Khalil_Khalil Mahmud_Mahmud Muhammad_Muhammad Mukhtar_Mukhtar Murad_Murad Musa_Moses Muzaffaraddin_Muzaffaraddin Nasr_Nasr Sulayman_Solomon Ya'qub_Jacob Yusuf_Joseph

maghreb_arabic male: Abbas_Abbas Abdul-Azeem_Abdul-Azeem Abdul-Rahman_Abdul-Rahman Abdullah_Abdullah Adam_Adam Ahmad_Ahmad Al'a'addin_Aladdin Ali_Ali Amin_Amin Fath_Fath Ibrahim_Abraham Ilyas_Elijah Is'mail_Ishmael Ishaq_Isaac Khalid_Khalid Malik_Malik Muhammad_Muhammad Mukhtar_Mukhtar Murad_Murad Musa_Moses Mustafa_Mustafa Muzaffaraddin_Muzaffaraddin Nasr_Nasr Rashid_Rashid Tariq_Tariq Umar_Umar Yahya_John

levantine_arabic male: Abdul-Azeem_Abdul-Azeem Abdul-Razzaq_Abdul-Razzaq Abdullah_Abdullah Ali_Ali Da'ud_David Hakam_Hakam Hussayn_Hussayn Ibrahim_Abraham Is'mail_Ishmael Khalid_Khalid Muhammad_Muhammad Mukhtar_Mukhtar Murad_Murad Musa_Moses Muzaffaraddin_Muzaffaraddin Nuraddin_Nuraddin Ya'qub_Jacob

egyptian_arabic male: Abdul-Aziz_Abdul-Aziz Abdullah_Abdullah AbuBakr_AbuBakr Ahmad_Ahmad Akbar_Akbar Ali_Ali Amr_Amr Hakam_Hakam Hussayn_Hussayn Ibrahim_Abraham Is'mail_Ishmael Khalil_Khalil Malik_Malik Muhammad_Muhammad Mukhtar_Mukhtar Murad_Murad Musa_Moses Muzaffaraddin_Muzaffaraddin Nuraddin_Nuraddin Salim_Salim Zakariyah_Zacharias

andalusian_arabic male: Abbas_Abbas Abdul-Aziz_Abdul-Aziz Abdul-Rahman_Abdul-Rahman Abdul-Razzaq_Abdul-Razzaq Abdallah_Abdullah Abu-Bakr_AbuBakr Adfuns_Alphonse Ahmad_Ahmad Ali_Ali Amr_Amr Fadl_Fadl Fath_Fath Garsiya_Garcia Hakam_Hakam Ibrahim_Abraham Isma'il_Ishmael Lubb_Lupo Muhammad_Muhammad Musa_Moses Rashid_Rashid Suleyman_Solomon Tariq_Tariq Umar_Umar Utman_Uthman Yahya_John Yusuf_Joseph

turkish male: Ahmet_Ahmad Alaeddin_Aladdin Ali_Ali Davud_David Hasan_Hasan Ibrahim_Abraham Mahmud_Mahmud Mehmed_Muhammad Murad_Murad Mustafa_Mustafa Selim_Salim Suleyman_Solomon Umur_Umar Osman_Uthman

persian male: Abbas_Abbas Ahmad_Ahmad Akbar_Akbar Ali_Ali Amin_Amin Aram_Aram Fath_Fath Hassan_Hasan Hossein_Hussayn Ebrahim_Abraham Farroukh_Faruk Esma'il_Ishmael Mahmud_Mahmud Mohammed_Muhammad Morad_Murad Mozaffar_Muzaffaraddin Yousef_Joseph Zakaria_Zacharias

I think the last poster missed that in the many of those cultures Ali and Muhammad are listed right after eachother. So I don't think they are ment to be seperate names but one name Ali Muhammad. There is of course few that list only Ali or just Muhammad, but when they are right after eachother I think they should be considered as one name.

With real you mean a different spelling ?

Æthelwulf of Wessex

I mean I think you are right that Adolf, with the syncope and ill-fated German dental fricative, can represent a collapsed version of Æthelwulf / Athalulf /Adelolf as well as E(A)d (rich) + Wulf (wolf). But the cognate of the latter in English is Eadulf/Eadwulf, as in:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eadwulf_of_Northumbria
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eadulf_Rus
Don't know enough about Germany in the era to say if Adelof/Athaldulf/etc is still maintained as a separate name like it is in 11th century England.

Aethelwulf means 'noble wolf'

Adolf means 'noble, majestic wolf'.

So that is the same base-name and yes you can also link Eadwulf to that.

Can anyone spot any problems here?

Code:
		male_names = {
			Ælaf_Olaf Ælfgar Ælfred_Alfred Ælle Æthelbald Æthelbert_Albert Æthelfrith Æthelhere Æthelmær_Adémar Æthelred Æthelric Æthelstan Æthelweard
			Æthelwine_Alwin Æthelwold Æthelwulf_Adolf Aldred Aldwine Aldwulf Alfwold Baldred Beorn_Beorn Beornred Beornwulf Burgred Ceolwulf Coenred_Konrad Coenwulf Cospatric_Cospatric
			Cuthbert_Cuthbert Cynewulf Dolfin Eadbert Eadfrid Eadgar_Edgar Eadmund_Edmund Eadred Eadric Eadulf Eadwald Eadweard Eadwig_Eadwig Eadwine_Edwin Ealdred Ealmund Eanbert Eanfrith Eanhere
			Eardulf Earled Edwy_Eadwig Egbert Egfrith Elfweard Elfwine_Alwin Eormenric Estmond Godwine Godric Gyrth Harold_Harold Hereward Hlothere_Lothair Hrodberht_Robert
			Magnus_Magnus Maldred Morcar_Marcus Offa Oshere Osred Osric Osulf_Osulf Oswald Oswine_Oswine Oswiu Oswulf_Osulf Petre_Peter Rædwulf_Ralph Sæbert Sælred Sæwald Sæxbald Sæxred
			Sigebert Sigehelm Sigered Ketil_Ketil Leofric Leofwine Leostan Sigeric Sighere Siward Skúli_Skúli Stigand Sveyn_Sven Swæfred Swithelm Swithred
			Thored Thorold_Thorold Thurcytel_Torkel Tostig Uhtred Ulf_Ulf Walcher Waltheof Wigelin Wiglaf Wihtred Wistan Wulfhere Wulfnoth Wulfstan
		}
		female_names = {
			Ældgyth Ælfgifu Ælflæd Ælfthryth Ælfwyn Æthelflæd Æthelhild Æthelreda_Æthelreda Æthelthryth_Æthelreda Æthelswyth Agatha_Agatha
			Eadflæd Eadgifu Eadgyth Eadhburh Eadhild Eadwine Ealdgyth Ecgfrida Ecgwynn Edhilda Edith_Edith Edithia_Edith Elfleda Elfrida Elfwynn
			Elgiva Godgifu Gunhilda_Gunhild Gytha_Gyda Hextilda Margaret_Margaret Maud_Matilda Octreda Sigrid_Sigrid Wulfthryth
		}

I'm also going to attempt to re-write the Ethiopian name section (male and female) and submit it to Paradox. If anyone would like to help or has any suggestions then please let me know. I think they have about the worst list of names of any culture in vanilla (plenty of duplicates and wrong names) so it'd be good to see them improved in a future patch. Thure's links above are quite useful.

I don't think I made the point understood. Modern German Adolf represents a conflation of two different Germanic dithematic names, one using meaning "rich" or "prosperous" (Old English ead) and another meaning "noble" or "majestic" (Old English æþele). See for instance. Adolf as such doesn't mean anything, but Adolf is surely closer to Eadulf than Æthelwulf.

Sure? I only know the connection to Adalwolf. Adolf is the short form from Adalwolf. The old english ead is in German Ot. Like Otto. This would Otolf not Adolf. I don't know any other meaning.

(I'm German)