• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Whilst some progress appears to have been made, there are still needless oversights all over the place -- Ethiopian is still a total mess with duplicates and no links whilst Mandé names aren't linked despite being a brand new culture with obvious links to other root names such as Salman and Sulayman.

I notice Lothaire has finally been added (linked with Lothar) even though it hasn't been linked with Clotaire or Hlothere. It's also strange they'd add those but leave out Chlothar. Still, baby steps. ;)

There have been improvements to links with Norse and Italian names (though still not all, as Thure has proven above) but Saxon is possibly worse:

Hereweald_Harold? -- where is Harold_Harold? Æthelbeorht is missing _Albert, Æthelmær is missing _Adémar (though granted that's an obscure link), Æthelwine is missing _Alwin, Coenred is missing _Konrad, Eadmund is missing _Edmund, Eadweard_Edward means the Saxon kings named Edward are linked with the Plantagenet kings (reported in another thread), Godwine is better than Godwin but it means you'll have to change the current characters by that name in saxon.txt to match the new one, and finally Thoræd should be linked with the Norse variants of Thor: Tore (Norwegian) and Ture (Danish).

Also, I've just noticed that the variants of Lothaire all have different links, which means the link won't work:

Lothar_Lothaire (German)
Hlothere (Saxon -- no link)
Clotaire (Frankish -- no link)
Lothaire_Lothar (Frankish)

So yeah, it's great that they've been added but none of them are actually linked. :blush:

Iyasu is a member of the Tokugawasye family, isn't he? just kidding ;P

No--- Iyasu ist Jesus(Joshua) ;)

Yonas is obvious but probably rare anyway

There is a Yunus in the Turkish list.

Romanian Costin is _Constantine.

And (I think) Romanian Bajan, Turkish Baytas, Pecheneg Bayça and perhaps Lettigallish Baise (Or this with Blaise?) and Prussian Beidras or Bajoras sound similar enough.

Romanian, Swedish and Bulgarian Dan are Daniel?

Romanian and Serbian Dragos (Speak as Dragosh) and Bulgarian Dragshan? Perhaps Croatian Dragan.

Romanian Iancu is John.

Maybe Romanian Pirvu and Kurdish/Persian Parviz

Bulgarian and Romanian Radu. Eventual with the similar sounding names Radhi (Levantine) and Radulf/Ralph?

Serbian Ratomir is Radomir.

Bulgarian Svetislav is Russian Sviatoslav

Bulgarian Trpimir... He was a Croatian!

Bulgarian Viseslav was a Serbian... and a Croatian. But not a Bulgarian.

Bulgarian Vojnomir was also a Croatian.

Bulgarian Zdeslav was a... yes also a Croatian (Thats not funny anymore...)

Bulgarian Ivanka should also be Joan.

Bulgarian Iva... Eve?

Bulgarian Nikolina and Breton Nicole

Bulgarian Tsveta and Tsvetanka (Both mean Flower... So Flora?)

Hungarian Móric is Maurice.

Bulgarian Aleksii with Alexei, Alexios etc.

Bulgarian and Hungarian Bertalan sounds similar to Mongol Bartan or Swedish Bertil.

Bulgarian and Croatian Drzislav.

Bulgarian Grgur should be Gregory

So the Bulgarian Kocelj. Wiki says its from the Bavarian name Gozil. This must be Götz. Götz is a form of Gottfried. So the name should be linked with _Godfrey. It should be also a name in Slovak (Bohemian?), Slovenian (Croatia in game?) and Hungarian.

Bulgarian Kulin... Kulin was a Bosnian Ban. So it should be also a Serbian/Croatian name.

Bulgarian Ognen and Croatian Ognjen.

Bulgarian Prijezda was also a Bosnian... (Why are all Slovaks and Bosnians in the Bulgarian list?)

Bulgarian Sermon... Can it be a form of Simon?

Bulgarian Slavac and Croatian Slavich

Serbian Slavko is Bohemian Slavomír

Bulgarian Stracimir... Stracimir was the name of two Serbian rulers.

Æthelwine is missing _Alwin

Alwin is so a point... With the Lombard kings you have a Audoin and a Alboin. Both are different names. One means Adalwin the other is Alf-win/Alwin.

Last edited:
Don't know if these names exist in the game but there are historical connections

Rollo Rolf Hrolfr Hrólfur Hrolf Hrodwulf
Niall Njáll
Muirchertach Mýrkjartan
Edward Eðvarð Játvarður
Beowulf Bjólfur
Cnut Knútur
William Vilhjálmur
Charles Karl

My spelling of those names could be bad. I'm very interested in this thing and I'm gonna check out this cultures.txt and the format there. Has Paradox showed interest in incorporating these changes into the game.

You should form a small community and get official recognition from Paradox to properly do this.

Also in languages like Old Norse there was a heavy case of Inflection with declension having a effect on names. I've noticed that when Norwegian childs get the Patronym it's often wrong because of this. Is there anything built into this game that could actually handle this if you would give it the declined form?

Last edited:
Janusz is linked as John, which is generally okay, but there's a hypothesis that it's a different name, perhaps in some analogy to Hans, which is not linked as John, and which actually might correspond with Janusz. Janusz is important because it was a very popular name among the Piast Dukes of Masovia (kinda like Wladyslaw and Kazimierz/Casimir for the entire dynasty).

You're close. Janusz probably evolved somehow from John, maybe it came from Silesia (where popular name in 13/14 c. was Hanuš, as bohemian culture influence). But it's used in Poland as different name, just like Isabel and Elisabeth or, which I will discuss later, László and Wladyslaw.

Hungarian:

Finally, there are such lack of connections for hungarian names! I thought to do it myself now...

(hungarian) László = Vladislav (check the kings' lists for proof)
(romanian) Ladislau is their version of Vladislaw
(croatian) Ladislav is Vladislaw, the V got dropped

It's not that easy, as you think.

Just find king Wladyslaw III of Poland, son of Jagiello - he was also king of Hungary, not as V. László (like Habsburg, who ruled after him), but I. Ulászló (same was Vladislav Jagiellonsky of Bohemia and Hungary, as II. Ulászló). Why? You see, that croatian name, Ladislav, is referred as different than Vladislav, still quite similar. That's why it could have mixed in Bohemia and Poland. Vladi- is recognized as taken from Rus (reign - polish "władza") like Vladimir, then Ladi- seems to come from some slavic god (or goddess). Used by south Slavs, while Magyar has "borrowed" it (either Domoszló).
I know, it's complicated. But it's like Radomir and Radomił, -mir (peace) and -mił (favour) - similar, but different.

László should be connected with Ladislav, and that form should be independent in Croatia, Hungary, etc. then in Bohemia and Poland should be translated as Vladislav. But it's not possible, so it's safer to keep it as different names.

Skolasztika could perhaps appear in other cultures (Scholastica)
I.e. in Poland.

Last edited: