• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It may do a lot more toward getting these included in a patch if they were all collected into one post. I know it's a lot of work to be suggesting for someone else do, but I'd reckon there's somebody with more free time than myself who is willing to go over the whole thread.

I have gone through the cultures.txt file collecting the names that aren't linked in a single text file. I have even added those that I didn't know about listed in this thread. I'm almost finished and I will post the list here when its done so people can post corrections or additions to be added before I post it on the bug forum.

Ah. I have see this man. Some people have make the same mistake like me

That might be the name he was referenced by people in those cultures. So its not really wrong. There has been other cases where the name used of the ruler wasn't really the version of the name of that culture.

Last edited:
I think the last poster missed that in the many of those cultures Ali and Muhammad are listed right after eachother. So I don't think they are ment to be seperate names but one name Ali Muhammad. There is of course few that list only Ali or just Muhammad, but when they are right after eachother I think they should be considered as one name.

I belive this is incorrect. In arabic Ali Muhammed means Ali, son of Muhammad, it could also be written Ali ibn Muhammad. Ali Muhammad ibn Mustafa however would mean Ali, the son of Muhammad who was the son of Mustafa. In modern times some persons, espescially from non-arab speaking countries, carry both names. Grammatically this is incorrect arabic and was not used in the period of Crusader Kings II. source:wikipedia

There are some names in arabic that can consist of several words, perhaps the most noteworthy the ones who start with Abdi/Abdul. It means servant and should always have a word for God behind it. For this reason I think it should be removed from the game and replaced with versions like Abdullah, Abdulaziz, Abdulkarim, Abdurrahim, Abdurrahman, Abdussalam and Abdulqadir. All of these can be written as two or more words instead, depending on the transliteration from arabic to latin, of which there is no generally accepted standard. Some of these names are more often written as one word, others as two.

Note that, unlike in CK, arabs of this time period did not have family names. Instead they used other means to describe their identity, including adjectives, their home town and not least the full names of their father and grandfather (see example below). Something like this would definately be possible to code/hack into the game, but I can not estimate how hard it would be. I'm no expert on arab names, this is just my 0.02€.

Example Name

محمد بن سعيد بن عبد العزيز الفلسطيني
Muhammad Saeed ibn Abd al-Aziz al-Filasteeni
muḥammad saʻīdi-bni ʻabdi l-ʻazīzi l-filasṭīnī
Ism - Muhammad (Proper name). Muhammad: praised.
Nasab - Saeed (Father's name). Saeed: happy
Nasab - Abd al-Aziz (Grandfather's name). Abd al-Aziz: Servant of the Magnificient.
Nisbah - al-Filasteenee (The Palestinian). Filasteen: Palestine.

Muhammad Saeed, son of Abdul-Aziz, the Palestinian

This person would simply be referred to as "Muhammad" or by relating him to his first-born son, e.g.:"Abu Kareem" (father of Kareem). To signify respect or to specify which Muhammad one is speaking about, the name could be lengthened to the extent necessary or desired.

Last edited:
Getting anything in the database fixed seems to be an uphill battle to be honest. I don't think Paradox have bothered to use Jamie's Validator at all, which is a shame as it's a wonderful tool that will do most of the hard work for them.

Well I finally got through the cultures.txt file and heres the final product. I didn't make suggestions of what names should be used as the link names if they didn't already exist in the file. Every line has all the names that should be linked together and cultures that they are in. I didn't go through the ethiopian names as I don't see them having any good valid links to the other names in the file. If anybody know names that have a valid reason to be linked to some other name that I haven't listed just post and I will add them. I also listed mistakes I found in the file so they are easier to fix. I can also add correction request to the file if someone has some mistakes to report.

View attachment 54528

Yeah it will be. I also missed Aubry_Aubrey in Frankish.

I would use Alberich as the link name as Aubrey is the newest version of that name. Its origins is from Germany Alberich -> France Aubry -> England Aubrey. There is some other version in the cultures.txt file too. You can find all of them listed in the attached file.

Your corrections file is great Wezqu, many thanks indeed -- I will try and have a fixed/expanded vanilla cultures.txt uploaded in a few hours. I will ask K-vald to pass it on to Paradox for inspection, and with any luck they will include it in the next patch. I'm also using this tool to alphabetize all of the names and remove any duplicates. :cool:

Please keep the corrections coming if anyone spots anything.

It seems that the egyptian arabic male names that were in female names are now correctly under male names so you can ignore those corrections in the file.

Here is a link to my post in bug report forum of listing the mistakes in finnish names. There is some suggestions to names that could be added. Most of them mainly names that can be linked to the several known noble names. Just thought you might be interested in them.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?599273-Finnish-culture-names&highlight=

Last edited:
Good work -- I'll add them to the file. I've already added one or two sensible names/links myself, such as Chlothar_Lothair and Lothar_Lothair (German), Lotharius_Lothair (Dutch), Hlothere_Lothair (Saxon), Clotaire_Lothair and Lothaire_Lothair (Frankish) and Lotario_Lothair (Italian).

I also added Karlmann_Carloman (German) and Carloman_Carloman (Frankish).

Finally I revamped the Saxon names altogether as there was definitely room for improvement and IIRC a couple of male/female names were mixed up as well.

Apparently Paradox want to do this themselves, and they won't use a file with stuff we've compiled.

So all I will add is that the Irish patronyms should be these:

male_patronym = "mac "
female_patronym = "nic "

(and note the use of lower case)

And the Saxon patronyms should be these:

male_patronym = "s sunu"
female_patronym = "sdóttir"

As in Harold Godwines sunu and Gytha Thorkelsdóttir.

Finally, castillan culture should be localized as Castilian and not Castillan.

I also suggest localizing portuguese culture as Galician and pommeranian as Wendish.

Gytha is called Thorkelsdottir because her father was Norse (swedish), it is not a Saxon patrynomin.

Also your statement about Paradox is a bit misleading, Solsara has said that she wants to use the information from this thread. She just won't copy and paste the culturefile, because Paradox has already made changes to them. And those changed might then get lost.

So all I will add is that the Irish patronyms should be these:

male_patronym = "mac "
female_patronym = "nic "

(and note the use of lower case)

And the Saxon patronyms should be these:

male_patronym = "s sunu"
female_patronym = "sdóttir"

As in Harold Godwines sunu and Gytha Thorkelsdóttir.

Its sad that in my language you can't do that in the game as its not possible with current system. Would be nice to see patronyms but as our language the words change shape when you conjugate then. Like son of Vesa would be Vesanpoika, but son of Erkki would be Erkinpoika. It works for some names but names like Erkki loses one "k" when its conjugated.

Gytha is called Thorkelsdottir because her father was Norse (swedish), it is not a Saxon patrynomin.

Also your statement about Paradox is a bit misleading, Solsara has said that she wants to use the information from this thread. She just won't copy and paste the culturefile, because Paradox has already made changes to them. And those changed might then get lost.

Yep thats why I gave them as raw information as possible. I have noticed that its better to give them the information and let them short it out as we don't have any clew of what they might have already done with the files. They most likely have already made changes as I don't think these hot fixes are the only patch they are working on.

It is the same; for example Gyda Haraldsdóttir who was a daughter of King Harold. The Anglo-Saxons used Norse marriage customs (such as Harold's own marriage) and female naming conventions.

Nothing I said was intended to be misleading -- I said Paradox 'want to do this themselves, and they won't use a file with stuff we've compiled,' which is true. I didn't say that they're refusing to fix any names, just that they won't use a file we compile ourselves with those fixes in.

It is the same; for example Gyda Haraldsdóttir who was a daughter of King Harold. The Anglo-Saxons used Norse marriage customs (such as Harold's own marriage) and female naming conventions.

On that wikipage she is called Haraldsdatter, not Haroldsdottir. So the name is probably taken from a Norwegian source, hence the Norwegian patrynomic. If f.e. go to the site of Gytha herself she isn't named like that at all. So in this case I wouldn.t trust wiki at all.