• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
On that wikipage she is called Haraldsdatter, not Haroldsdottir. So the name is probably taken from a Norwegian source, hence the Norwegian patrynomic. If f.e. go to the site of Gytha herself she isn't named like that at all. So in this case I wouldn.t trust wiki at all.
If you want the Anglo-Saxon patronyms to be more distinguishable from the Norse ones you could use these:

male_patronym = "s sunu"
female_patronym = "s dohtor"

Source: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=204889.0 (which itself lists sources)

I have recently started a Sicilian game and have noticed that the vanilla culture file for Italian names is missing heaps:

Carlo_Charles
Guglielmo_William
Giovanni_John
Giuseppe_Joseph

are all unlinked, just to name a few..and I think that some appear twice, as in Gian_John.....

Yeah, if you go back a few pages in this thread you'll see that a large number of Italian names have been linked up. Thanks a lot though. :)

Could somebody post a list of the names? I don't have the game (hard times, you know) but I find amusing to help with this things and I could contribute some more with catalan and castilian names as I've done already.

I have a question, how exactly does this work? Say I link Juan_John under spanish, now, does this link Juan to any other culture who has John, or do I have to put John_Juan in a specific culture for it to link?

I have a question, how exactly does this work? Say I link Juan_John under spanish, now, does this link Juan to any other culture who has John, or do I have to put John_Juan in a specific culture for it to link?

No, it goes like this:

Juan_John (castillian)
Joan_John (catalan, occitan)
Hovhannes_John (armenian)
Ioannes_John (greek)
Ioane_John (georgian)
Jean_John (french, norman, breton)
John_John (english)

for each of their respective cultures.

They all have to link to the same basic name in order for it to work.

Another example would be

Salomon_Solomon (breton, ethiopian, hungarian)
Selyf_Solomon (welsh)
Selyfan_Solomon (welsh)
Soghomon_Solomon (armenian)

Last edited:
The reason the thread died was because Paradox said they wouldn't use a file we'd compiled, so it kind of seemed pointless doing all of this work. It could still be used by modders though.

Does anyone have a recent cultures.txt file? I've edited mine and I think I'd like to start from scratch using the corrected names file posted on the previous page.

[*]I think Italian Taddeo could be Theodore as Pomeranian has Tadeusz_Theodore.

Tadeusz (this is Polish spelling) is Thaddeus (Θαδδαῖος), Theodore (Θεόδωρος) would be Teodor. This is a mistake that should be corrected in a patch.

Here are my spots. Sorry for repeating some. Sorry for the chaotic structure. But I've spent hours by now and I'm really not anxious to spend any more. Please do poke me if you need proof for one of my assertions, though, rather than discarding it (lesser evil in my book :p).

I think some names should be interlinked between certain cultures even if they don't have an English link. Or perhaps there should be a separate list for English versions of names that would not normally be given to normal English folks but only as e.g. the anglicised version of an ancestor's name (basically either adjusted spelling or translated meaning) but mostly for matching.

Anyway, not sure if I'm not doubling something somebody has already mentioned:

German and Danish Klara isn't linked with Clara. Which, I think, should be Claire for English anyway. And I'm not sure that Romanian should have Clara as a name. While it's just a simple Latin adjective, I believe the popularity of the name is owed to St. Claire, a Catholic Saint from 13th century.

Adrian, Adriano, Adrianos etc. (Hadrian) are not linked.

Léon doesn't seem to be linked to Leo, a popular name and existing link.

Holger and Ogier ("Latin", i.e. French) aren't linked but they should be. Think about the paladin of Charlemagne here.

All the Maurices and Maurikios don't seem to be linked.

Étiennette isn't linked to Stephania.

Antoinette (Latin) isn't linked with Antonella or Antonia etc. All are female Anthonies at a various stage of diminution.

Latin:

Benoîte - Benedicta, Benedikta etc. anybody?

Bérengčre – not linked to Berengaria!

Italian: unlinked male names (self-explanatory, all popular cross-culture names, at least some with existing but unlinked counterparts in the file):

Alessio (Alexius)
Ambrogio (Ambrose)
Amedeo (Amadeus, various spellings in different cultures)
Anastasio (Anastasius)
Bertoldo (Berthold)
Biagio (Blaise, an existing link)
Carlo (obvious)
Corradino really should be lumped with Corrado as Konrad. This is just a diminution.
Cosimo and Cosma are not linked to Cosmas, which is an existing link (and e.g. Greek Kosmas is linked to it)
Costante Costantino Costanzo: shouldn't they all be linked up for foreign equivalents that don't have the same variety?
Ercole is not linked up with Hercules!
Ermenegildo should be linked with Castillian Hermenegildo
Ettore actually seems to exist only in Italian? No Hectors anywhere?
Gaspare isn't linked with Caspar (German) and Casper should exist in English IMHO.
Giacinto isn't linked with Hiacynth, which is an existing link (e.g. Polish Jacek is linked to the latter).
Giacomo is James.
Gian is John.
Gianfranco should probably become John Francis or Jean François etc. when inherited outside?
Gianleone => John Leo
(Compound names existed in other cultures too, I think.)
Giovanni (COME ON!!!!!111oneonesix (John))
Giulio should probably become Julius etc. (as appropriate) in some cultures...
Giuseppe (COME ON, this is such an obvious Joseph)
Gualtiero - Gautier etc. not the same?
Guglielmo should be William, nope?
Iacopo is a VERY obvious Jacob (which is an existing link)
Lazzaro => IMHO Lazarus should be linked up among several cultures and any culture having a Lazarus grandfather would know how to translate it because it's in the Bible.
Leopoldo doesn't seem to be linked with anything (Leopold, isn't it German?)
Lionello... come on, Lionel!
Lodovico is Louis (Ludovicus in Latin)
Lorenzo (COME ON!!! even Polish Wawrzyniec was correctly spotted as being a Lawrence! :p)
Luca is a very obvious Lucas/Luke (same as Greek Loukas etc.) and, being the name of an Evangelist, any Christian culture should have a translation in the grandfather case
Luigi is another Louis (and also obvious)
Manfredo isn't linked with the German Manfred
Michelangelo is translatable but this could be over the top
Niccolň is a Nicolas
Nicola is a Nicolas
Oddone is Otto (unless I'm oblivious of something)
Pagano... didn't I see a Paganus, Payen, whatever, linked up somewhere? Can't recall.
Paolo (COME ON!!!!!111111oneonesixeight)... obvious.
Rainero and Raniero could be linked up together and I'm not sure but some other Romance languages should have their own versions of this name?
Rodolfo (PLEASE!)
Rolando (AGAIN!)
Sergio - Sergius is kinda intercultural...
Silvestro (Sylvester) is also.
Taddeo is Thaddeus, the name of an Apostle, should be known everywhere if not used as a primary choice.
Teodoro is an obvious Theodore.
Tommaso is an obvious Thomas
Uberto is Hubertus.
Ugolino, isn't it a small Hugo? Not sure.
Vittore, Vittorio => Victor should probably exist as a translation

Female:

Adalberta without Alberta as a link?

Huge: Giovanna is not linked to Joan.
Biggie: Giuditta is not linked to Judith.
Biggie: Lodovica doesn't seem to be linked to Louise, which does exist as a linking name (Ludovica is Latin for Louise).
IMHO Lidia should be linked up (it repeats among cultures) and have the English spelling of Lydia.
Biggie: Allessandra doesn't seem to be linked with Alexandra.
I'm surprised by Clorinda existing in Italian but not the French culture.
Eudossia is not linked with Eudoxia. Which is not really a rare name.
Eugenia isn't only Italian, it should be cross-cultural with a link together IMHO.
Joscella => Josceline, Joscelyn etc. (spelling of this name is a nightmare)?

Adriana, Agostina, Alfonsina, Antonella, Antonia, Benilde, Berenice, Berta (v. popular in Germany, isn't it?), Carla, Carola, Claudia, Cornelia, Ermenegilda, Dora

Polish:

I'm surprised by Polish Bozydar being rendered as Theodat (mix of Greek and Latin). The Latin form would be Adeodatus and this is basically Theodore (gift of God).

Then, Polish Borzywoj is linked up as Borijov, which seems to be a typo, inversion of letters?

Janusz is linked as John, which is generally okay, but there's a hypothesis that it's a different name, perhaps in some analogy to Hans, which is not linked as John, and which actually might correspond with Janusz. Janusz is important because it was a very popular name among the Piast Dukes of Masovia (kinda like Wladyslaw and Kazimierz/Casimir for the entire dynasty).

Biggie: Also, Wanko is NOT Vaclaw. Wanko is a diminution of John.

Biggie:: Hedwig (German) and Jadwiga (Polish) don't have a link. It's the same name (wiki).

There's also a Polish Kamila (can't really connect it with the middle ages as far as Poland goes but okay...), which is not linked to Camille etc. While the male version of this name is linked.

Kornelia is not linked to Cornelia.

Eufrozyna is not linked to Euphrosyne, which is an existing link (the Russian version is linked to it)

Rycheza and Ryksa (the latter variant appearing only in the Polish list, I think) are the same name

Armenian:
Mariyam is basically a more Hebrew-like spelling of Mary (sort of like you could spell it Mariamme in Greek)
Zabel should be Isabel, i.e. Elisabeth, nope?
Rita isn't really uniquely Armenian, should exist in Italy too.

Greek:

Adrianos should be linked up with all of them various Hadrians.
Anastasios did have an Anastasio in Italy as an opposing number, so why not link'em up?
Damianos - no Damians anywhere else to link up?
Eugenios is an obvious Eugene
Hippolytos... there was an Ippolito on the Italian list, nope?
Iordanes... some Jordan somewhere, nope?
Isaakios... well, if some English king wanted to name his kid after the ERE emperor, I think it would get translated.
Kaisarios - Cesare in Italy
Konstantinos is quite obvious (Konstantios actually was linked with Constantine)
Lazaros is an example of why Lazarus should exist as a link (see Italian Lazzarro)
Loukas is Luke/Lucas and should be linked up with all the Lucases, Lukases, Lucas etc. from the West
Raphail really should be linked with all the Raphaels
Sergios - this one is not only Greek... I suggest linking it up with Sergio etc.

Adriana should be linked up with the Adriennes etc.
Aikaterine is a Catherine
Alexandra should be linked up with Alessandra etc.
Antonina has plenty of counterparts, esp. in Italy, should be linked
Barbara isn't uniquely Greek, maybe a link?
Gabrielia - no Gabrielles etc.?
Iustina should be linked, nope?
Konstantine is obvious and a female link already exists for other nations' version of the name
Pavlina - Pauline, Paola, Paula etc.
Zoe, isn't it a variant Sophia?

Lithuanian:
Zygimantas is Siegmund (Sigmond, Sigismundus etc.)
Danute is the same name as Polish Danuta
Roze, isn't it Rose?
Kenna was listed among Polish names too, could be linked

Arabic:

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of Old Testament names that could be traced but:
Yusuf is a Joseph
Maryam is a Mary
Fath, isn't it Victor? (Like Mehmed al-Fatih, who conquered Constantinople?)
Ishaq is Isaac
Ilyas is Elias

Maghreb:

Amira could perhaps be linked up with Martha, it's basically "the lady".
Basilie sounds like Greek, Basilissa or some such was there, wasn't it?
Eleonorka should go with Eleonor (Alianor, Alianora, Leonor etc.)

Egyptian and Andalusian:
Safiya... Sophia? (guessing)

And did Egyptian Arabs really name their daughters after Egyptian goddesses and ancient Egyptian queens? And did they really know about Nefertiti or Hatshepsut? I'm asking, not making a claim.

Here are the names from the file:

Alia Andali Badiat Fatima Halima Inas Jamila Khadija Majida Nabila Nura Radiya Rana Safiya Samira Suhaila Thuriya Zara Acenith Amunet
Asanet Asenath Asenet Azenet Bast Bastet Beset Cena Hathor Hatshepsut Isis Nefertiti Nephthys Sacmis Sakhmet Sekhet Sekhmet Tadinanefer
Tawaret Taweret

At least a half are ancient Egyptian.

Russian: Iliya is Elias.
Rurik isn't linked to the Scandinavian equivalent.
Stanislav really shouldn't be there. It's a Polish name. Can't recall a single Russian with it.
Vladimir, why is it linked to Vladimir and not Valdemar (unlike the Scandinavian and German Vladimirs who are)?
Vladislaw isn't really Russian, it's Polish. Can't recall a single Russian ever having it.
Yeremey is a Jeremy
Yevstafiy is an Eustace
Boleslava is not a name a Russian girl would get unless she had a Polish grannie
Dobrava is a Czech name that went to Poland
Darya might exist in other cultures (Daria, meaning a good person, perhaps could be linked with Bonne... why not)
Olga is Helga
Praxida would link with Prasseda, Prassede etc. but I can't recall having seen it in other than Russian lists
Rogneda is an obvious Viking name, whatever spelling would be preferred (Ragnheid?)
Varvara and Vasilisa should link to their B-spelled Greek versions from the Byz list.

Pomeranian:
Bezprzym should link to Polish Bezprym
Casimir comes from the Polish Kazimierz, I suggest Casimir as the link
Dobieslaw
Kasper is Caspar (Gaspar, Casper etc.), which could also be a Polish name
Szymon is Simon
Szczesny should be linked to Felix, like the Polish version
Otokar existed in Bohemia too (the last Premyslid king's second name), isn't it Odoacer?
Wlodek is a modern Polish diminution of Wlodzimierz (featured as a separate name on the list), which is Polish for Vladimir. On the other hand, in the middle ages, it was a diminution of Vladyslav.

Alzbeta is Elisabeth
Dobravy would be the same as Dobrava
Dobroniega is a Polish spelling of Dobronega
Edyta is obvious, come on! (Edith)
So is Ewa (Eve)
Gracja is Grace
Hanna is obvious
Irena is also obvious, Irene (an existing link)
Izabela is also obvious, Isabel, which is Elisabeth anyway
Jolanta is Yolande
Kamila is Camilla/Camille
Kornelia is obvious
Malgorzata is Margaret
Markéta sounds Bohemian to me but...
Róza (astonished by the spelling) - Rose
Svetlana - nope, that's Russian
Wera is a Latin adjective, so any Vera, Vere etc. should be linked up
Zofia is Sophia

Bohemian:

Budivoj and Polish Budziwoj are the same guy
Heralt, isn't it Gerald?
Herman - Germanus, Germano, I remember seeing it somewhere unlinked
Tobiás - no Tobiases anywhere to link?
Viktorín - no Victorins to link?
Adléta is obvious
Anezka is Agnes
Doubravka is yet another version of the same that seems to appear in every Slavic list with different spellings but not be linked together
Drahomíra - Dragomira was on the Pomeranian list, I believe
Eliska is a diminution of Elise
Hedvika is German Hedwig and Polish Jadwiga. Hedwig is the original name because it's German in origin (meaning the woman that fights battles).
Jana, Johanka - Joan
Justina - Iustina, Ioustine, Justine etc.
Kunhunta - Kunigund, Cunegundis etc., should be linked up among the nations
Jaroslava, isn't it the same name as Jarka from other lists?

Croatian:

Andrija is Andrew
Boris is Boris (link up?)
Dmitar is Demetrius
Dragomir is omnipresent in Slavic lists, link up?
Gaspar is Casper, link up
Igor is another popular kid
Ladislav is Vladislaw, the V got dropped
Mihajlo is Michael
Teodor is an obvious Theodore

Jadviga is Jadwiga, Hedwig etc., same name
Jovana is Joan
Mihaela is Michelle
Petra... only in Croatian did it appear at the time?
Antonija really should have links to other languages
Marijana too
Jelena is a Helen
Natalija is Natalie, Natalia etc.
Tatjana appeared somewhere before as Tatyana
Valerija = Valerie

Serbian:

Dmitar is Demetrius
Ilija is Elias
Luka is Lucas/Luke
Mihailo is Michael

Another version of unlinked Barbara and Dubravka. Karolina is a female Charles and should be linked up with the others. Same goes for Antonija (she-Anthony).
Jovana is a Joan and Jovanka is a diminution (I knew one once, was she a sight to behold)
Luka... not a Lucia? (guessing)

Romanian:

Carol = Charles
Claudiu, come on!
Damjan, I remember seeing a Damian somewhere
Dumitru can't not be Demetrius
Emerik - Emericus, Aymery?
Ladislau is their version of Vladislaw
Iremia is Jeremy
Iosif is Joseph
Nicolaie can't not be the obvious
Petre - same
Sergiu should be linked up with all the other Sergios, Sergiuses, Sergioses etc.
Valeriu with Valerius

Adriana, Alexandra, Alexia should all be linked up
Ioana must be a Joan
Monica... hah, must be the only nation where this name exists! :p
Paraschiva is actually a Greek name (Paraskivi)
Roxana = Roxanne...
Teodora is obvious
Vasilica, isn't it Vasilissa?

Bulgarian:

German - Herman exists as a link, doesn't it? (Germanus)
Kalojan is more a nickname than name (contraction of kalos Ioannis, pretty John, from Greek)
Kozma must be Cosma (which is a link)

Ivana must be a Joan
Lidiya must must be Lidia (Lydia in English)
Lilyana could be linked up somewhere, nope?
Luydmila same (Ludmila)
Nadejda would be Hope (Spes in Latin), whatever other names happen to mean it also
Rosa has tons of counterparts in other cultures, which are all unlinked
Todorka must be a diminution of Theodora
Vasilka of Vasilissa
Yordanka is yet another she-Jordan
Yana and Yoanan - not Joans?
Silviya is obvious

Hungarian:

Gábor is probably the same as Gábriel, which is obvious
Gáspár is a Casper and really should be linked
Izsák is an Isaac and another reason to create a link
Kornél is obvious (Cornelius)
Kristóf = Christopher
László = Vladislav (check the kings' lists for proof)
Lázár is another reason to create Lazarus as a link
Lőrinc is a Lawrence
Lampert, isn't it a Lambert?
Lukács is Luke/Lucas
Miklós is a Nicolas
Orbán is Urbanos
Oszkár is obvious
Pál is Paul
Péter is... I have no idea
Sámuel could appear in other cultures, I guess
Salamon too
Zoltán - some Arabic culture had Sultan for a name, so...
Szilveszter is not that hard :p
Vencel is Vaclav
Dorottya is a Dorothy
Erika is obvious
Gizella can't be exclusively Hungarian
Kamilla is a Camilla, please link'em all
Kunigunda has been discussed before
Krisztina is a Christine
Margit could go with Margot, nope?
Orsolya sounds like Ursula
Rózsa should link up with all the Roses
Sarolt - I must have heard it somewhere else...
Skolasztika could perhaps appear in other cultures (Scholastica)
Zsófia is a Sohpia
Zsanett is Jeannette, Janet etc.
Zoltána - no Sultanas for the Arabs?

Iranian:
Ebrahim should link with all the Ibrahims (Abraham)

please note that many names are the same as in the Armenian list (due to the fact that Armenia spent several centuries being ruled by the offshot of a Persian dynasty) - might be a good idea to agree the spellings, come up with links etc.

Salman is a Solomon, nope?
Yousef is Joseph
Zakaria... appeared in at least one European list somewhere, I think (maybe Zaccaria was that version, not sure)
Iavaneh... okay, Persian is a whole different language and all but this does sound a bit like a Joan
Mariam is a Mary

Ethiopian:
Gabra Gebereal Gebre, aren't all these guys Gabriels?
Iskinder must be an Alexander (like Iskander, which is linked)
Eremias is a Jeremy
Iyasu is a member of the Tokugawasye family, isn't he? just kidding ;P
Kaleb is a Caleb but I can't recall seeing a Caleb in any other list
Negus could probably be interchangeable with Basilios etc.
Yacob is an obvious Jacob
Yonas is obvious but probably rare anyway
Yohannas screams John
Tewodros screams Theodore
Negasi should be intercheable with Vasilissa, Regina and other such "queen"-meaning names
Zena... Xena anywhere?
Zenia? Ksenia was somewhere up
Yehudit is a Judith (Yehudah is Judah)

So some more (Mostly... Who know it?... Italian).

German Ezzo, Etzel and Ehrenfried with Italian Attilio, Azzo, Azzone and Ezzelino (eventually Ezio) with Hungarian Attila

Italian Cataldo and Irish Cathal and Cathalán are the same name.

Italian Cecco is _Francis (Look here)

Italian Cesare and Greek Kaisarios... I think you should creat Catalan Cèsar. The Borjas/Borgias are a Catalan/Aragonese family ;)

Italian Elio and Greek Helias

Italian Ennio should be Eugene.

Italian Ferruccio and Catalan Ferro.

Italian Enzio and Enzo are Henry.

Italian Eriprando... You can eventually link it to German Herbert. Not exactly the same but similar.

Italian Fortunato are Basque Fortun

Italian Gaetano and Pommerian Kajetan

Italian Galasso, Galeazzo, Gelasio and (I think) Galeotto should be linked with Norman Gaillard (All are from the french word gai). Lettigalish Galeine sound similar enough I think.

Italian Gerolamo and Bulgarian Jerolim sound similar. No other Jerome out there?

Italian Gherardo is... Gerard.

Italian Lealdo is the same like Aleardo (Form of the Germanic Adalhart... Not in game I think)

Italian Marsiglio... With Marcel?

And come on! The Italian Napoleone need a French equivalent! A Italian who go to France should became Napoléon instead of Napoleone.

Italian Nazareno and Maghreb Nazar. (Both came from Nazaret)

Italian Nino is a short form of Giovanni, so also link it to John.

Italian Obert and Ubert should linked with Dutch and Norman Hubert

Italian Obizzino and Obizzo should be linked.

Italian Orlando should be linked with Roland etc.

So... After the lunch I make more.

So... next step:

Italian Ottavio should be linked with Portuguese Octávio

Italian Pancrazio and Greek Pankratios

Is Italian Radul a form of Ralph, Raul and Radulf?

And Italian Rizzardo a form of Riccardo/Richard?

Italian Sciarra should be linked with Jacob (The real name of the only Sciarra I found was Giacomo)

Italian Secondotto should be linked to Otto (This man calls herself Second Otto, but in real he was Otto III)

Italian Ugocione (Correct Ugoccione)is a form of Ugo, ergo _Hugh.

Italian Urbano and Hungarian Orbán.

Italian Vitale and Catalan Vidal.

And:

Then, Polish Borzywoj is linked up as Borijov, which seems to be a typo, inversion of letters?

No typo. Here is the polish wiki. Go to trhe czech wiki and you will see. Borzywoj is a form of Borijov.

Last edited:
No typo. Here is the polish wiki. Go to trhe czech wiki and you will see. Borzywoj is a form of Borijov.

The Czech wiki shows Borivoj... ('divine warrior', 'God's warrior', it gets divided Bori + voj, 'Bori' referring to God and 'voj' meaning 'warrior', regardless of the spelling version used).

Stanislav really shouldn't be there. It's a Polish name. Can't recall a single Russian with it.

There are one russian... Look at the Grand Princes of Kiev. At special the last from the Ruriks. There were a Stanislav Ivanovich.

Vladislaw isn't really Russian, it's Polish. Can't recall a single Russian ever having it.

This man have the name but its not really in the timeframe...

Boleslava is not a name a Russian girl would get unless she had a Polish grannie

Also not complete right... Read this:
"In 1166, his father brought Boleslava Svyatoslavna, a daughter of Prince Svyatoslav III Vsevolodovich of Chernigov, as wife for Vladimir."

The Prince of Chernigov (A Russian in game) has a daughter with the name Boleslava.

Rogneda is an obvious Viking name, whatever spelling would be preferred (Ragnheid?)

Ragnhild

Heralt, isn't it Gerald?

Not Harold? Ah.. After this it is Gerhard. Heralt... Gerhard... Okay.

And:

German Helga, Komi Aila and Russian and Bohemian Olga. Eventually Finnish Hellä? (I have also add a Swedish Helga)

Bohemian Perchta is a Berta.

Bohemian Vilemína is Wilhelmina

Bohemian Zdislava and Zdenka.

Romanian Iacob is... Jacob.

Romanian Iorghu and Iuga are George

Romanian Latcu is also Vladislav.

Romanian Mihai is Michael

Romanian Moise is Moses.

Romanian Seneslav should be Stanislav

Romanian and Hungarian Tibor

Romanian Veaceslav is Vaclav

Romanian Arina and Armenian Arin