Werewolf Lite CDXIX: The Black Order Brigade [Village Victory]

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks for GMing, that was fun.

Thanks for GMing, that was fun.
Thanks ! :)

Also I encourage you to read the comic this game was based on. Bilal comics are great, if you ever have the occasion of reading one !
(Dunno how easy to find they are in other countries - I suppose in Western Europe at least it should be possible to find)

What did you think of the GMing (especially other GMs, but players are invited to join the fun too !) ? What do you think was great ? What could I improve ? Any remarks ?

I think you did really great! It is not every GM that can keep a properly updated front page and post votecounts every day. Having those down already puts you in the good GM category, but the updates quality was just above and beyond for me. I really enjoyed reading them and I think the time delay was okay.

The screwup was entirely on my part, the GM is at right to take as much time as he wants to update (within reason) and non-lynched players can still talk until the update.

However, I would still like to defend my move. It was pretty well thought out and made sense. What we see now is that we lost the game in spite of it, but I wouldn't say because of it. While Graf might have been able to survive the day anyway, the JL was still growing too strong and they were onto most or all of us. The reason I picked aedan to be outed was because he had some votes already so would still be lynched even if not everyone followed the outing, but also because I suspected him of being JL. I think I should get at least some points for figuring that out and also that Alynkio wasn't. That part was the real risk of the move and it didn't actually end up going bad. And if we hadn't changed the hunt to Alynkio everything would have worked out just fine. Of course even with a change of hunt to Alynkio we might have been okay if I hadn't been dumb at deadline, and the hunt at least had some strategic thought behind it, but oh well.

Anyway, I had fun. Thanks to my wolfmates for being an active and fun pack to be in - this was one of my most enjoyable lite games and I think that my packmates are a big part of the reason why.

And thanks of course to Yvanoff for top quality GMing! I do hope you GM again in the future, and invite me when you do, I'll be sure to join.

However, I would still like to defend my move. It was pretty well thought out and made sense. What we see now is that we lost the game in spite of it, but I wouldn't say because of it. While Graf might have been able to survive the day anyway, the JL was still growing too strong and they were onto most or all of us. The reason I picked aedan to be outed was because he had some votes already so would still be lynched even if not everyone followed the outing, but also because I suspected him of being JL. I think I should get at least some points for figuring that out and also that Alynkio wasn't. That part was the real risk of the move and it didn't actually end up going bad. And if we hadn't changed the hunt to Alynkio everything would have worked out just fine. Of course even with a change of hunt to Alynkio we might have been okay if I hadn't been dumb at deadline, and the hunt at least had some strategic thought behind it, but oh well.
The general move was a good one, I've tried in the past to create a fake outing as a wolf, but it didn't work out. It weakens the village, denies them a day of voting, and can be a good boon to the wolves. However, it has risks. You acknowledge two mistakes you made with regards to alynkio, though it took both to be a problem. However, I see another issue in your particular strategy, you contacted Alynkio very late in the day to make the outing. This is an unlikely move by someone actually in the JL, so it should've been the first warning to Alynkio that you weren't really part of the JL. This undoubtedly contributed to Alynkio's decision to go public with your contact, less likely to have occurred had you contacted him early in the day and given him a more built out story to have him then out me.

I'm also personally disappointed in myself for not seeing through the ruse of it being a patsy outing until after I had died. Wolf alynkio outing me would have been a stupid and short sighted move, so I only believed that to have occured in the heat of the moment when I was suddenly outed. Granted there was the possibility of him being a wolf planning to pretend to be a patsy, which would've been original, but I didn't even consider the patsy angle until after I died.

I'm also baffled that Drupplesnub was a villager, I'd pegged him as a certain wolf after he jumped on me immediately prior to the outing when I finally followed my suspicion on Graf being a wolf I'd had all game. His subsequent fierce support of Alynkio's false outing and anger at Alynkio's outing of Panzer seemed like waving around a neon sign saying "I'm a wolf." Wasn't expecting him to be either the last non-JL member to be targeted, nor on the winning side.

I'm also baffled that Drupplesnub was a villager, I'd pegged him as a certain wolf after he jumped on me immediately prior to the outing when I finally followed my suspicion on Graf being a wolf I'd had all game. His subsequent fierce support of Alynkio's false outing and anger at Alynkio's outing of Panzer seemed like waving around a neon sign saying "I'm a wolf." Wasn't expecting him to be either the last non-JL member to be targeted, nor on the winning side.

I think we should explain our strategy. Our goal was to tie two players, making it impossible for the wolves to win. The original switch was going to be to Drupple, however, I was late. That ended up being a blessing as Wagon and Graf were the final wolves. Being able to save Drupple kinda made victory a little bit more sweeter.

I think we should explain our strategy. Our goal was to tie two players, making it impossible for the wolves to win. The original switch was going to be to Drupple, however, I was late. That ended up being a blessing as Wagon and Graf were the final wolves. Being able to save Drupple kinda made victory a little bit more sweeter.
Wouldn't that tie attempt have been extremely risky if you had a villager in the tie? An alert wolf could've joined the snipe and killed the villager? Not saying it was a bad idea but it could've backfired spectacularly.

BTW, how did you guys actually catch me? I'm honestly still kinda confused by the reasoning that was given when I got lynched(or did I get scanned over the votesnipe?)

risky if you had a villager in the tie?

If done last minute, like we did, if there was a villager in the tie, then oh well, there would be 2 cleared villagers who knew each other, the wolves wouldn't have won.

If done last minute, like we did, if there was a villager in the tie, then oh well, there would be 2 cleared villagers who knew each other, the wolves wouldn't have won.
Actually I think the last remaining Werewolf would have surrendered then (or I would have incited him or her to do so).
No sense in letting a hunt that would just rob a villager of a deserved victory take place

Wouldn't that tie attempt have been extremely risky if you had a villager in the tie? An alert wolf could've joined the snipe and killed the villager? Not saying it was a bad idea but it could've backfired spectacularly.

We didn't know the identity of the last villager, so a 2 way tie with 1 possible villager was a risk too. The only way we could make this work was a last second vote snipe, just not giving a chance to vote back.

Many thanks for hosting this Yvanoff.
Stellar job as a GM, really. Don't feel you screwed up about anything, because you didn't.

Congratulations to my fellow villagers. You played well. That tie was beautiful.
Pity I couldn't tell you guys any more drupple wasn't a wolf before I died, but you nailed it anyway.

BTW, how did you guys actually catch me? I'm honestly still kinda confused by the reasoning that was given when I got lynched(or did I get scanned over the votesnipe?)

The actual reason is just a matter of deduction.

The last day before I died the situation was this:
You have 4 people. Three of them are wolves. Wagonlitz was going after drupple in a way that made it (in my mind) impossible for both of them to be wolves.
Therefore, the *other* two people - being you, and graf zeppelin - must be wolves.

Now Graf Zeppelin played her game beautifully, acting all innocent all the time which made it hard for me to believe, but your posts and especially your obvious reluctance to take a stance regardin graf made it very very clear to me that you were a wolf, being forced into voting a packmate by outside pressure.

Also, there is no way in hell I'm going to keep these scan results to myself.

Apologies for the colors, I asked Yvanoff to not make them bright yellow because that turns completely unreadable when my email client puts it on a white background ;-)
(edit: nm, in quote boxes *this* is unreadable. I'm changing it back.)

After the reception ends, you go straight to your room - an old monk's cell, perfect for a soldier such as you, with no unnecessary luxury. You then remain there, pensive. Speaking with all these far-rightists leaders, taking part in a reception, drawing plans to take over the world... Made you feel young again. And in this state of mind, you quickly started going back in time, going through memories that you had almost forgotten.

There was one person in particular with whom you spoke a lot that night. It was not the first time you had met this person - but you had never been in regular contact, so it felt good speaking with this person again.

And looking back at your memories... You can tell she hasn't changed. Despite the years, she has remained the person inside. A person convinced of the righteousness of your fight against the evil forces of communism and capitalism that seek to destroy the soul of Europe. You have no proof, yet you just know it for a certainty/

Caillean is a villager

After today's unfortunate effort at trying to find the murderer, you once again go into your room early. You need time to think. Your hand is shaking a bit while you offer yourself a glass of Schnapps, but the alcohol helps you to regain some composure, and you treat yourself to a fine cigar afterwards. Then, you start once again to drift within your own memories. The Spanish fascist who never fought in the Spanish Civil War, eh.... No wonder you found it suspicious. You can very well remember that conflict, as if it was yesterday. It had been the first big fight you took part of, and nothing made you prouder than to fight for your values, even if not for your homeland.

The Spanish Civil War really was the event that brightened your life, you realize. Without it, without this firsthand experience of combat against Communists, you likely wouldn't have made it out of the Eastern Hell alive a couple years later. Eastern Hell, though, where you did meet up with some fine gentlemen, like this Norwegian soldier... You struggle as you try to remember the name, but finally your memory bows to your effort. Stredelsen. Haakon Stredelsen. A very fine far-rightist indeed, one worthy of confidence. You were not surprised to find him in Rome. A man of his intelligence, strength, and especially iron-willed could only rise to be an important figure in your fight for European freedom.

And as you shook his hand yesterday, you felt that he was still the same man. He had not changed a bit. If there was a traitor among your ranks, it could not be him.

aedan777 is a villager

Frustrated by the day's events, you decide not to go straight into your room this time. Instead, you take a walk around the courtyard. The air is fresh, and you hope it can help you cool down.

You move without really looking around you. You start by reminiscing about O'Dreill. A fine gentleman, undoubtedly. A man of convictions. Though you never have really liked the Irish and their steadfast commitment to the Pope, you never really hated them either. How could one possibly hate people who hate the English ?

Unfortunately, while you were never really that O'Dreill could be the traitor, most of those around you did. Not all, though. For example, the representative of Greece at this assembly, the honorable Giorgios Drexanos. You have already met quite a few time, though never one to one. During World War 2 already, he fought against Germany and Italy and for his country with admirable commitment, then switched to your side once he understood you were actually fighting for the good of the continent. You met him for the first time when the communists tried to take over his homeland, and can still remember his passion about getting rid of the red plague.

In your discussions earlier today, you spoke a bit about the state of Italian politics, gravely infected by agents of Moscow. When he spoke, you could seen in his eyes the same flame he had back then. Such a flame can not be faked, that is something you have learnt during your life as a soldier.

Xarkan is a villager

Once again, things have not gone your way. You are left horribly frustrated by the day's events. You did try to warn them, tell them that listening to this Ukrainian was a mistake... But they wouldn't listen.

However, you can't help but notice one person didn't participate in your hastily-organized trial today. The good sir Alexandre de la Rochebeaucois, a French collaborationist who volunteered in the Charlemagne division. You worked with him in the 60s, when he was busy rebuilding the French far right and you were starting to expand your operations. Someone dedicated to your order. Someone you could trust back then, and who you can still trust now.

Dedonus (subbing Euroo7) is a villager.

At last, you think. Yes, it had taken some time. Yes, this success was mostly given to you by the assassin committing an horrendous mistake. However at last, you have executed one of the culprits for all your companions' deaths.

Obviously, the one bad news of the day is that there are still more traitors among you. But you also feel that you are making progress. Gathering your memories, you have thought about a lot of the ones still alive among you, and you know they are to be trusted. Soon, you think, you will know who is an ally and who is an enemy.

So, you once again start what has become some sort of ritual by now. You once again go into your room, serve yourself a drink, and think.

One person who stood out for you today is probably Mr. Thomas J. Krender. A American from the Deep South, who crossed the Atlantic to help Europeans in their struggle against Communism, but also against Capitalism - as a descendant of Confederate soldiers, this fine gentleman hates the Yankees just as much as you do, if not more.

You first met him in the aftermath of WWII, obviously. He decided to follow in the footsteps of his fellow countrymen, but later on, and much more peacefully. From then, he helped Europe rebuild itself - and was especially helpful in ensuring the dead ideas were not completely crushed.

Since Mr. Kender decided to settle in England, because of the language, you could not meet that often. You were good friends in the beginning, but contact could not be maintained as you focused on various areas of this vast and rich continent. But the person you met here in Rome was the same as all those years ago - still eager to help Europe move forward. The physical body had changed and decayed, but the mind had not.

JermanTK is a villager

You go to your room one smug smile on your lips. Finally, you think, the tide is turning. Yes, Kessler's final scream hinted at more traitors among your ranks. But if they hadn't overpowered you yet, it must be because they still are a minority. And you were confident you would be able to find all of them before they could destroy you.

You start your classic nighttime ritual, of which you have grown quite fond of late. Who to think about....

Your mind drifts. Finally, it focuses on Mr. Hendrik Serkohl, a Swedish far rightist who used his contacts in the Swedish government to help Germany during World War II, before using his resources to help the Europeans patriots rebuild after the disaster of defeat. As a Scandinavian, he was obviously on the frontline of the fight against communism, and as such quite an expert on how to fight it.

However... You can not really say what, but something definitively feels off about him. In the previous trials, his attitude did not make you think of someone who would genuinely try to catch and execute the traitors... Even his whole history feels somewhat faked to you, though obviously not a poor fake, but not genuine either. And especially.... You can not shake the feeling that you have seen him before, and not on your side. If only you could remember where and when.....

Suddenly, you remember.

Spain, 1936. The harsh high plateaux of Aragon. The freezing temperature in winter. And the fight for this forsaken village, lost somewhere in this dull immensity.... You can not even remember the name.
But you can very well remember the enemy. An International Brigade division. A bunch of lunatics, of misguided fools. But they had courage. Despite the lack of equipment and training, they kept fighting for the village just as much as you did. You doubt anybody ever bothered counting the number of times the village switched hands. All you know for sure is that at the end, this pile of rubble was barely worth calling a village.

But you can remember one of the enemy's leaders, too. A young Dane, called Christian Avidsen.
You recognize him. Avidsen and Serkohl are one and the same. Obviously, you never met Avidsen in person, but the physical appearance, the look in his eyes.... Despite the passing of time, you can still distinguish your old nemesis from your trusty allies. He is one of the traitors. And there could be more former International Brigade members helping him out now. You feel an urge to remember. But your old brain is tired, it refuses to obey its master.

Suddenly, the door bangs open. You see Serkohl stepping inside, followed by a woman you identify immediately. Maria Wizniewska, a former Polish member of the International Brigade. She was there in Aragon too. The brutal shock of their appearance forced your unwilling brain to co-oporate at last, though it is too late.

They quickly overpower you. Avidsen starts speaking to you, but you barely pay attention anymore, as you realize death draws near. Suddenly Maria, who was quickly scanning a room, seems to notice a small object. She brings him to Avidsen, who loos at it, then smile and look you straight in the eyes:

"Well, well. Long time no see, Herr Heinkel. Do you need a reminder or should we continue from where we left off 40 years ago ?"

You were hunted during the night.

Truly Yvanoff, you went above and beyond with these. Awesome work.

As a side note: Scanning Caillean on day one is not going to be a permanent thing. It just was more convenient with the plans for the weekend ;-)

Okay, but what was up with Jerman switching to Jerman right at deadline. If he had been just a moment earlier it would have screwed up the entire plan.

Ok, now that the game is over, I had thoughts on the whole alynkio thing that I can now say. I think what alynkio did was perfectly fine. In these situations I tend to personally apply two things to the situation:

1) Do I reasonably expect to be hunted?
2) Can I reasonably expect for this statement to significantly change the night orders?

If both of those are a yes, I usually abstain from posting whatever I was about to post, because I just tend to prefer to avoid sharing info in that time if it's something along the lines of "Ok, so I'm probably about to get hunted, but here's a bunch of info I was withholding because I didn't want the wolves to be able to react to it". From what I gleaned from the thread, alynkio may have believed he was going to be hunted, especially based on how Panzer was reacting after deadline, so I'd put it as a tentative yes, but in alynkio's shoes I wouldn't expect a significant change to night orders, since the pack would still want me dead and I wouldn't expect the seer to waste time looking into me. In this case I'd say if alynkio posted that five minutes before deadline instead of thirty minutes after there'd be no major change in the course of the game.

And while I know Panzer's question about deleting all his posts was mostly theoretical, I'd suggest discouraging that. If that became a popular thing, my response would be to start archiving the thread regularly in one way or another. I don't see that strategy leading to more interesting gameplay, but rather it'd just give players with more time or tech savvy an advantage as they could make sure they had the whole thread even if something gets deleted.

And while I know Panzer's question about deleting all his posts was mostly theoretical, I'd suggest discouraging that. If that became a popular thing, my response would be to start archiving the thread regularly in one way or another. I don't see that strategy leading to more interesting gameplay, but rather it'd just give players with more time or tech savvy an advantage as they could make sure they had the whole thread even if something gets deleted.
While I think @Wagonlitz had a point in that it's up to the players to prevent this behavior, as a GM I'd ban players who do that from participating in my games.

Also @Arkasas you've added the winners in the list of Lite winners but didn't add me to the list of Lite GMs :(

While I think @Wagonlitz had a point in that it's up to the players to prevent this behavior, as a GM I'd ban players who do that from participating in my games.

I don't really care whether the discouraging comes from players or GMs or both. I just know that if it becomes a popular strategy it won't make games more interesting to me, just add the menial chore of somehow keeping track of the thread personally where it can't be deleted.

Okay, but what was up with Jerman switching to Jerman right at deadline. If he had been just a moment earlier it would have screwed up the entire plan.

The plan was to tie you are Wagon. I was told to switch to Wagon however, since I didnt respond they switched to Wagon to tie him and Graf.

Basiclly a communication error that worked out

As a side note: Scanning Caillean on day one is not going to be a permanent thing. It just was more convenient with the plans for the weekend ;-)

Nudge nudge, wink wink, a nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat!

In any case, your GMing was good, Yvanoff. happycats is right and I will cite him the next time this comes up. Who wants to GM the next Lite?

Also, there is no way in hell I'm going to keep these scan results to myself.

Apologies for the colors, I asked Yvanoff to not make them bright yellow because that turns completely unreadable when my email client puts it on a white background ;-)
(edit: nm, in quote boxes *this* is unreadable. I'm changing it back.)

Truly Yvanoff, you went above and beyond with these. Awesome work.

Wow, those are amazing. Especially the last one. I've never actually seen a GM write roleplay for scan results. Even the most dedicated ones don't do that usually. I want an Yvanoff GM'd big now...

Ok, now that the game is over, I had thoughts on the whole alynkio thing that I can now say. I think what alynkio did was perfectly fine. In these situations I tend to personally apply two things to the situation:

1) Do I reasonably expect to be hunted?
2) Can I reasonably expect for this statement to significantly change the night orders?

If both of those are a yes, I usually abstain from posting whatever I was about to post, because I just tend to prefer to avoid sharing info in that time if it's something along the lines of "Ok, so I'm probably about to get hunted, but here's a bunch of info I was withholding because I didn't want the wolves to be able to react to it". From what I gleaned from the thread, alynkio may have believed he was going to be hunted, especially based on how Panzer was reacting after deadline, so I'd put it as a tentative yes, but in alynkio's shoes I wouldn't expect a significant change to night orders, since the pack would still want me dead and I wouldn't expect the seer to waste time looking into me. In this case I'd say if alynkio posted that five minutes before deadline instead of thirty minutes after there'd be no major change in the course of the game.

Hunting Alynkio was absolutely the worst thing we could have done after he had posted that.

Basically the problem was a conflict of opinions and desires in the pack: I wanted Alynkio to out Aedan, the village to lynch Aedan, see he's a villager, and lynch Alynkio in retribution the next day. I knew Alynkio would accuse me, but I was confident I could have defended myself and had the village made the wrong choice there we would have won a Stalingrad.

Wagonlitz, meanwhile, didn't want a fake outing at all. He wanted Graf to snipe out of a TIE with Euro and leave it at that. He thought the outing was way too much risk for too little gain. But if we were to do it, he said we 100% had to hunt Alynkio because the village may believe him the next day, and better not to leave any leads.

So we ended up with the compromise of doing the outing but hunting Alynkio, which honestly sort of is the worst of both worlds. I still had to go through all the risks of a fake outing, but the next day would have been just as random as if Graf had simply sniped out of a tie. All of that was made so that we wouldn't run the risk of Alynkio talking. Once he did talk, all that hunting him would do was to confirm to the village that he was telling the truth. I still maintain that he was completely within his rights to post that after deadline, but I have to say I felt really bad and powerless not being able to at least change the hunt order to not kill him at that point. That had been my original plan anyway. Without it the outing became sort of pointless, only benefit was making it a bit less risky... Which all went up in the air anyway when Alynkio talked and died.

I think whether talking post-deadline is allowed or not doesn't matter too much, but the GM should make it clear ahead of time whether it is allowed or not. I think it's clear the wolves would not have done they play they did if they predicted alynkio would reveal that Panzer used them as a patsy before the update. This can be fixed by the GM just unambiguously going one direction or the other on it in future games, and which direction it is matters little.