• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Nikolai

Basileus Romaion
78 Badges
Jun 17, 2001
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
Hi there folks, I am back, and this time I am trying out a mod I found, which adds several bookmarks, among them the Alexiad.

I plan to play until the end, starting in 1081, as long as the game and/or mod does not crash. I do have experience both personally and with other AAR writers' woes of broken saves with mods, one of the reasons I seldom play with mods myself.

And having the Gamepass edition, let me tell you Paradox has not fixed the issue with mods not working without tweaking a lot, that got introduced one year PLUS ago...

With that said, in a moment comes the first chapter! :)

1698696818986.png

1698697207880.png

Last edited:
Basileus Alexios I Komnenos
Basileus Alexios I Komnenos

(1081-1108)

1698696907672.png

Married to:

• Eirene

Sired:

• David
  • Agne
  • Andronikos
  • Margarita

The reign of the glorious Alexios I Komnenos was like the man itself; impressive. It was also cut short.

Basileus Alexios I Komnenos’s reign started in a precarious situation. The Empire, once covering all of the Mediterrainean, only consisted of the Balkans, with the City of Men’s Desire – Constantinople - at the border of a mighty enemy.

The Sultanate of Rum covered all of Anatolia, once the power base of the Empire. It could muster almost 5k high quality troops, with the Byzantine Empire only able to muster a little under 2k – of which most were low quality troops. The Empire surely was at an all-time low.

1698696951088.png

But Alexios I would within a few years turn the situation around. Investing all his money into greatly enlarging the men-at-arms, the army quickly grew. Meanwhile, he also married his family into the Holy Roman Empire and Hungary, thus securing both potential allied troops in a war all too possible in the east, as well as securing the western border.

Eight years later, in 1089, the Empire itself could muster over 6k troops, half of it high quality, as well as having the HRE’s 9k and Hungary’s 4k strength for their cause. The next four years were used growing the treasury and securing the stability of the Empire. And in 1093 Alexios struck, invading Rum with almost 7k troops and the HRE’s 9k. Their combined might would have been enough in itself, but Alexios, wise as he was, struck as Rum descended into civil war. In 1094, less than a year after hostilities started, the Sultan sued for peace.

1698697039578.png

1698697055102.png

Conventional wisdom would now have had Alexios to let peace reign for a while, but when he heard rumors of the struggling situation the Shi’ite Caliph of Egypt found himself in, constant in civil wars and low on manpower, he ordered his army to sail for Alexandria. Together with him, the HRE armies followe. The war was won within months, having started in 1096 and ended the same year.

As he came home, he did not hesitate to march northwards, where the Moldavian heathens posed a threat slowly diminshing in domestic struggles. Midway in the war, which started early 1097, the enemy split in half, but war kept on, now with Alexios negotiating peace with the northern half of his enemy, and focusing on beating the Wallachian armies. In 1099, after a series of chasing the fleeing, yet hesistant to give up, armies of the Wallachians, he cornered the enemy Khan, captured him and forced peace upon him.

By now, the Caliph in Egypt had died, and left his weak and underage son in charge as the new Caliph. Egypt could barely field an army, and Alexios struck, gaining complete control over the Lower Egypt Nile Delta. As 1102 came around, the child Caliph was forced to sign peace.

But Alexios’ luck struck again. As he was about to depart from Alexandria to Constantinople, word came that the Sultanate of Rum – after years of instability – had collapsed on itself. In its place were a large amount of small beyliks, ready for the taking.

1698697070206.png

The Seljuks were also eying the now defenseless Anatolian lands, and indeed would start invading soon after, so Alexios knew he had to strike fast. From 1102 to his death he would invade one beylik after another, slowly securing control over the previous lost lands. He would invade, win, and give the defeated enemy a choice: Submit, and convert to Christianity, and keep control over your lands. Or don’t, and face extinction. All beyliks he conquered chose to convert.

But, finally, his luck ran out. As Alexios I was leading his army in the conquest of the Anatolian coast around Ephesos, he chose to take a bath in a local river. He had chosen to let his guard be close by, but not close enough to discover that he slipped, fell, struck his head and ultimately drowned.

1698697087270.png

With that, the glorious reign of Alexios I Komnenos – reclaimer of Roman glory – ended. His young son David, only 21 years of age, quickly seized power in Constantiople, and ordered the army to complete the war of his father while he secured power back home in the capital.

The world as David I rose to the throne:

1698697116316.png

Attachments

• 1698696935845.png
    1698696935845.png
    2,6 MB · Views: 0
  • 3Love
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Great stuff, @Nikolai! Very glad to see you back in action. Great job reclaiming all those Anatolian lands from the Turks. You've given Rhomaion a fighting chance!

Who's your ally in the HRE? Is it still Heinrich IV? Maybe you can help him push that naughty old Pope around a bit.

And it looks like poor Alexios pulled a Barbarossa and drowned, poor chap. Oh well... all hail King David!

Great stuff, @Nikolai! Very glad to see you back in action. Great job reclaiming all those Anatolian lands from the Turks. You've given Rhomaion a fighting chance!

Who's your ally in the HRE? Is it still Heinrich IV? Maybe you can help him push that naughty old Pope around a bit.

And it looks like poor Alexios pulled a Barbarossa and drowned, poor chap. Oh well... all hail King David!
Thanks for joining old friend! :D It was a blast! Later... Later we have A STORY! :D

The ally should've been him yes, I got it within days of unpausing. :)

Yeah, it was really a Barbarossa, and it was so perfect, yet so sad. :p

• 1Like
Reactions:
I’m excited to see what happens next. Will we see an Emperor Ershios of House Filvanos down the line?
Plan atm is to keep it in the line of Alexios. ;) Being that as emperor or something else.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Alexiad is a glorious place to start. And this was a promising start indeed.

An AAR by @Nikolai dealing with the Komnenids? Subscribed!

As starts (for CK2 or CK3) go, the Alexiad marks one of the more dire for the ERE. It isn't the most dire, but the ERE certainly wasn't in a good position.

Congrats on reclaiming lost lands! Rum's collapse must've helped with that a lot, though. Is there a mechanical reason why they split into tiny beyliks so quickly?

Will there be a showdown with the Seljuks over Anatolian lands?

Attacking Alexandria is a brazen move. It looks like it paid off, though, so I can't complain too much.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Alexiad is a glorious place to start. And this was a promising start indeed.
Thanks for subscribing! It did go oh so well until that fateful bath...
An AAR by @Nikolai dealing with the Komnenids? Subscribed!

As starts (for CK2 or CK3) go, the Alexiad marks one of the more dire for the ERE. It isn't the most dire, but the ERE certainly wasn't in a good position.

Congrats on reclaiming lost lands! Rum's collapse must've helped with that a lot, though. Is there a mechanical reason why they split into tiny beyliks so quickly?

Will there be a showdown with the Seljuks over Anatolian lands?

Attacking Alexandria is a brazen move. It looks like it paid off, though, so I can't complain too much.
Welcome! The start was dire, but with allies and time, it went better than feared!

Rum's collapse was probably faction related. There is a faction possible in the game that if victorious shatters the realm.

As for a Seljuk showdown....let's hope not. They can field almost thrice what I can!

Alexandria was just too tempting, seeing how weak the Caliph was. :D

I've always been a sucker for Alexiad AARs, so I'll keep eyes on this one. Kinda sad that The Sultanate of Rum collapsed so quickly though since I like having a strong rival during AARs.
I forget the name of the mod he's using (if it even is the one I'm thinking of), but in that mod Rum tended to collapse constantly, spitting in the face of my efforts to keep them alive through console commands. Due to the way factions work, both ethnic/religious peasant ones, as well as vassal ones, the Rum Seljuks collapse like 9/10 times I tried that mod. I wish we had a HIP for CK3...

Reactions:
I've always been a sucker for Alexiad AARs, so I'll keep eyes on this one. Kinda sad that The Sultanate of Rum collapsed so quickly though since I like having a strong rival during AARs.
Yeah, it was a pity. At least the Seljuks are present - for now at least. But do not be surprised if the Romans themselves are a much more dangerous enemy. :D

I forget the name of the mod he's using (if it even is the one I'm thinking of), but in that mod Rum tended to collapse constantly, spitting in the face of my efforts to keep them alive through console commands. Due to the way factions work, both ethnic/religious peasant ones, as well as vassal ones, the Rum Seljuks collapse like 9/10 times I tried that mod. I wish we had a HIP for CK3...
Mod's name is "Additional start dates and cultures", and it's the first time I play with it. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
So, totally theoretical of course. But if I were, in a couple of centuries, to have a disaster that made my only surviving child a Catholic daughter who is incapable and have one son of another dynasty, would it still be the line of Alexios? :oops:

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
One option is to stop it there of course. Another is to console in an accident or two. Any thoughts?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Do or do not...
1698789036629.png
1698791504246.png

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
I say continue playing as the Polish boy, and maybe establish a cadet dynasty if you can, adding a "-Komnenos" to the existing dynasty name.
Modding him to be my dynasty is not a bad idea. Thanks!

Reactions:
That’s a good call. Killing him off is not really a good look.
I am of the opinion that story trumps gameplay/not cheating, but I try to play with what I get. Here it’s either game over or manipulation, though.

Reactions:
I am of the opinion that story trumps gameplay/not cheating, but I try to play with what I get. Here it’s either game over or manipulation, though.
Yeah, game over is not an option. We want to hear your story! Fudge it with a little modding and give us a great headcanon explanation for why his Polish dynasty renounced him.

Yeah, game over is not an option. We want to hear your story! Fudge it with a little modding and give us a great headcanon explanation for why his Polish dynasty renounced him.
Thank you! It is, in any case, a while ahead. First, we have a lot to cover!

• 1Like
Reactions: