• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's looking like you're going to have to mow down an entire generation of Romans to win this war. Not good new for any aspiring heir who may have imperial ambitions.

Rensslaer: ...Crassus has gathered more than 40 cohorts against us in Greece..

how big is a cohort ? ?

hmmm. how big is a legion ? ? i thought it was 10.000 men...

Rensslaer:
...In mid-November, however, those 3 legions from Rome and Samnium arrived at Picenum, and began trying to prize Pictor and Cotta away from the city. The skill of Caesar’s generals was palpable, as whole cohorts began to fall during each day of combat! The battle was a rout for the Loyalists, and was completely unexpected by all observers.

i presume that prize should be pry :)

the skill... tells me that you won this battle.

the battle... tells me that you lost this battle, or is ambiguous. ? ? :confused:

Rensslaer: ...Despite Rebilus’ generosity and Pictor’s good fortune, it could not be said that the balance of forces was tipping in Caesar’s favor!

also, this tells me that you won the above mentioned battle. now, part of the problem may be that i did not see any casualties listed in the pics.

hmmm. not to mention a small lack of expertise in English... ;)

me thinks that you need more soldiers ! ! and, fast ! ! :D

that said, i am still happy with the update ! ! :cool:

how big is a cohort ? ?

hmmm. how big is a legion ? ? i thought it was 10.000 men...

Cohorts are still 1k men in this game, but in reality they were something else...
and legion is 5k men.
Including ala and auxilia, I think.

10 Cohorts = 1 Legion, and 1 Legion = 5.000 men.

So I'd guess a cohort would be 500 men?

Incubux said:
10 Cohorts = 1 Legion, and 1 Legion = 5.000 men.

So I'd guess a cohort would be 500 men?

In eu:r those are still cohorts of 1k men... and legions rarely had even 500 cavalry, so two legions together would have a cavalry regiment with them.
Cohorts and regiments are somehow merged, I think... not good...

"The size of a typical legion varied widely throughout the history of ancient Rome, with complements of 4,200 legionaries and 300 equites in the republican period of Rome, (the infantry were split into 35 maniples of 120 legionaries each), to 5,200 men plus auxiliaries in the imperial period (split into 10 cohorts, 9 of 480 men each, plus the first cohort holding 800 men)."

"In the Imperial Roman praetorian forces, there were individual cohorts with an establishment strength of 500 (cohors quingenaria) or of 1000 (cohors milliaria), as well as mixed infantry and cavalry units (cohors equitata) that existed in parallel."

Happy? :p

These continued repulses in Eturia are not good.

The balance is still in their favor. So long as they hold you out of central Italy, and away from Rome, you will be in trouble.

The shift from dark red to white on the map is really helpful on the eyes.

Good to see you have updated to the new version, the change from red to white make it much easier to follow the borderline and see the frontlines. Also I hope this stop the loyalists from getting new legions all the time.
It is good to see victories, but I fear for the main front if Caesar continues loosing like that. Still never give up right, I am sure Caesar will win the third time :)

Bononia is a lost cause. Having been occupied by no fewer than 5 legions, the province falls quickly, opening a path directly to Caesar’s capital at Gallia Cisalpine, up the Po River Valley.

16000.jpg

But this word is largely – perhaps completely! – overshadowed by the great news from Picenum, where Cotta and Pictor have thoroughly thrashed the Loyalists! The enemy was dying at a rate of more than a thousand a day… On average!!! For two weeks!

In Spain, Marcus Lepidus was marshalling various separated legions against the north of that region. Appius Postumius Drusus, for his part, was moving north toward Santones, and was intending to harry and hassle the Roman legions there. Agrippa maintained his position in Ilergetes, but he was receiving persistent rumors of a number of Loyalist legions headed north toward his positions. His armies would surely meet this opposition soon.

At the end of November, Caesar had joined with more, newly recruited, cavalry, and began marching again on Etruria. Meanwhile, Quintus Licinius Cinna was eyeing the massive legions in Bononia. Their commander had left Publius Vergilius Maro in charge, so he could run off to who knows where. Cinna began to move north to protect the capital at Gallia Cisalpina. Another small enemy force was working their way quickly toward him, up the Po River Valley.

LiburniFalls.jpg

The first Illyrian province falls to Caesar’s men in January. And Gracchus unwisely leads a small force of cavalry against the two cohorts of Roman Loyalists who occupied Paleoveneti. He was lured into thinking, from reports from the town, that the enemy was ready to drop their shields and spears at the very first opportunity. These were wrong, and his cavalry was obliterated! (EDITOR’S NOTE: Actually, for whatever reason, the city view (siege view) showed 0% morale for the enemy – I figured they’d be easy pickings, and so I only sent one fast cohort. Instead, once the battle was joined, I find they are doing quite well, thank you! I don’t know why the discrepancy.

Agrippa.jpg

In northern Spain, Agrippa was finally met by the Spanish legions which were rushing north to stop the gap. However, despite the enemy’s great skill in attacking, Agrippa dominated the battlefield.

Meanwhile, Marcus Lepidus, a short way north, engaged four enemy cohorts under Cornelius Lentulus. He, also, did fairly well. The enemy was outnumbered, in any case.

LepidLentul.jpg

As battles raged in Spain, warfare threatened Picenum again. Caesar certainly wasn’t holding the upper hand at this point, but things were seemingly turning around.

Wow, what a great victory at Picenum. That's the equivalent of 16 cohorts out of the picture. I hope that patch 1.2 will make this game last o little longer...

You win some, you lose some. :) Looks like Caesar will survive though it definitely will take some good ole strategy to win.

Rensslaer said:
(EDITOR’S NOTE: Actually, for whatever reason, the city view (siege view) showed 0% morale for the enemy – I figured they’d be easy pickings, and so I only sent one fast cohort. Instead, once the battle was joined, I find they are doing quite well, thank you! I don’t know why the discrepancy.
That's because the city view since 1.2 only shows the morale of the units that can take part in an assault. Prior to 1.2 there was a bug preventing the morale of the assaulters from hitting zero if they brought cavalry with them since cavalry didn't take any morale hit because they were not actually in the fight :wacko: Thankfully that bug was fixed.

Your enemy had only cavalry and that explains the seemingly lacking morale.

I hope you can pull a miracle out from somewhere, because it looks like you need it.

Well the Spanish situation is promising.

Turning around... so many times... let's hope that your legates bring you some heads of the enemies. ;)
Why don't you use assasins against Pompeius? :rolleyes:
It would have a huge effect on the enemy...

I've got to agree with Enewald - It's time for "total war"! You must use all of the means at your disposal: assassination, raising alliances and whatever else is available. Otherwise you'll need a lot more Picenum-like victories.