• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Puh, I'm having real problems following all this. I'm not really good in Roman history, but were there really two empires fighting each other? I just thought Julius marched on Rome and made a triumphant entry or something.

I guess that was before he had to hand the city over to Asterix.

rhynoclemmis said:
Puh, I'm having real problems following all this. I'm not really good in Roman history, but were there really two empires fighting each other? I just thought Julius marched on Rome and made a triumphant entry or something.

I guess that was before he had to hand the city over to Asterix.

Pompeius claimed that would he just not be so lazy, he would have some legions ready to fight Caesar would he just want to.
Caesar begun the march to Rome with one Legion, and got no real resistance.
He just walked to Italy and had no serious troubles.
Pompeius just decided to flee to Greece and plan an counter offense from there.
Then his plan was to crush the legions on Pompeius which were in Hispania, and let Pompeius have a vacation in Greece.
Destroy the legions without their leader, then crush the leader without his legions.

amazing AAR, very clear and easy to follow for the most part.

Would be great if you could give a quick summary of approx troop numbers for you and the loyalists in Spain, Italy and Greece and perhaps give a short summary of what your plans are on the greek coast. What has happened to the loyalist momentum pushing up from Greece.

Can't wait for the battle for rome, good luck...

Lord_Robertus said:
Ahha Pompeys' plan emerges. He aims to spilt the rebels apart by feeding some of the genrrals easy victories so that they become too popular with the masses.

A Great plan by Pompey
Yes that must be it. How could I possibly have missed it? Let's just hope our hero sees right through Pompey, like you did, and stops him in time :D

All right -- I will open this to discussion, since I'm not comfortable proceeding with any of these three options, and therefore would like to hear what the readership would prefer... I do hope that, no matter what is chosen, the majority of you will stick around.

I've reached a situation where, because of one of two quirks in the game, I must either perform somewhat of an exploit, or I must lose most of my armies. While my losing my armies would certainly make this more of a challenge (is it not challenging enough already? :D ), I'm not sure how good a reading experience it would make. There is a third option which would make it more realistic, if I can pull it off, but it's also somewhat of an exploit.

The options seem to be these:

1) Restart from a few days earlier, which would allow me to combine two armies into one, which would not get obliterated when attacked, which only happened because they were not combined into one. The problem with this is because of a bug, the attacking army ends up being a month away again (movement orders lost) instead of a couple of days. In the grand scale of things, this isn't a huge deal. On a practical level, it allows my armies, however, to recover from their ordeal and be lots more ready to receive the attack when it comes. That's the unrealistic part.

2) Allow my armies to be destroyed, and watch Caesar scramble for his life. See if there's some chance of still pulling off a victory. Forget Rome, for now! :rolleyes:

3) I could go in and edit the savegame, combining the two armies in question so that when they're forced to retreat they're collectively large enough to survive, whereas they were otherwise individually forced to surrender when defeated (because they each fell under the 10:1 ratio, whereas they would not if combined). This isn't a "quirk" really -- it's how the game is designed. I just didn't foresee it, or realize this is how it works.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Rensslaer

Yeah, keep the troops.

#3 for me as well. Hate that "quirk"! It happened to me in my Rome game. Very annoying! :mad:

I would say 3 to be best, but make sure you have another save just in case the file gets screwed up somehow.

1 or 3

2 would be a bit harsh

Yet another impressive victory in Italy.

And as an answer to your question, I admire your honesty and allow you to do what you feel is the best alternative for the story. We wouldn't even knew about your little problem if you hadn't asked.

This is what happens when I go away, I miss the start of another brilliant AAR by Renss! Still catching up but it's your typical par excellence so far. :)

Oh, and I vote option #1, not that big of an exploit IMHO and it's not as risky as editing the save file.