• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

rhynoclemmis

Major
22 Badges
Jun 23, 2006
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Magicka 2
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II
Ok, heads up. This is about to become my first AAR and I want it to be finished, too. So much of this game will be played well in advance, as else I won’t have the time to play and write it and keep regular updates coming. I won’t do a big story and only give you the outlines of what happened. I could write a gripping narrative about the secrets that are whispered in saloons behind closed doors, travelling from kings’ mouths to the ears of diplomats and nobles, with the chamber maid eavesdropping and later telling her Russian lover late at night, but that’ll perhaps fit in some other time. Hey, I’ve got other work to do, too!

Setting is vanilla V:R, fully patched and OHgamer-hotfixed. The country of choice is Austria, as many of you will have guessed from the title already, you cunning little devils…. I’m not going to mod in some events, first because I don’t know how to do it, second because I trust the AI to develop a interesting game for me.
Nothing is too low for me, so yes, I’m going to trade tech for cold, hard cash or provinces / claims. Austria starts with low literacy and few RP producing POPs, so I’ll need that. I can’t think of any other house rules now, but be sure that I’ll stick to them. Except for deviations from real history or events of note, I’ll not give much information about what’s happening. The Göttingen professors dismissed? Big deal. You know it, I know it, so it’s in the sense of streamlining this baby….

Generally, my goals are to become one of the real big players and not to sink into obscurity. I’m going to industrialize and see who I can kick around like the one guy with the black flat-top hairdo did with me when…. but I digress. Normally, I’m playing VERY defensive, never starting wars except against minor, minor countries, but that wouldn’t be very entertaining for you to read about. I’m not planning a WC but want to spice things up a little. The one thing I’m not sure about is whether to colonize or not. Honestly, I hate it. I love building missions and trade posts and claiming colonies, but I do hate colonial wars with Great Britain. I want that prestige, because I’m an attention craver, on the other hand. So, this matter shall be decided later.
Another thing I don’t like at all is making alliances, because the AI seems to be quite apt at picking wars with nations that they don’t even border … but I do.

Ok, here goes.

11shotstartin7.jpg

So this is Austria. The white blob there. No, that’s not where the Kangaroos are, we only got some cattle. And tourists, we milk both.
Austria at 1936 looks like breakfast for countries like Russia and Prussia, this is why normally I play so defensively. What am I going to do? Hamper German and Italian unification? Yes, quite likely. I’m not sure how to keep Germany from forming, as I’ve never managed to do that, but Italy shouldn’t rise on the map if I have my say. What I fear the most is the Conservative Empire from forming, because there isn’t much I can do to stop that from happening.

Ok, I start to optimize my POPs and to fill the RGOs and factories, set trade quotas, set education and crime fighting to full and take a look around. Metternich’s faction is in command and that means “residence” rights for my POPs. That isn’t all too good concerning all the minorities I have, especially Romanians, North Italians, Croats and Ukrainians. We shall be much more lenient to them in the future, as I want to have factories in nearly all my states.

12shotpopulationjq1.jpg

Literacy is currently only at 25%, which does not exactly give me a head start in the tech race. That’s why I’m education all the way, baby.
Taxes are set to 50% poor, 50% middle, 0% rich. You may find more intricate taxing guidelines at OHgamer's AAR, found here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=305484
but I guess it’s all right for me. Whereas I guess means I really don’t know exactly, but it has worked in the past.

Starting revolt risk is at 0% in all provinces, remarkably. We may not see that often in the future with Austria’s heterogeneous populace. We do no see it now either, because I messed up with the screenies. But make that white blob in the first pic all green in your mind and THERE, You see it now, don’t you?

We also sport an Experimental Railroad in Wien, and Wien only. It’s called the “Liliput-Bahn” and is in operation even today. (No joke.)

13shotliliputbahnfy5.jpg

As a side note in history, Persia becomes the world’s most prestigious country after NOT throwing the English out. Cheering crowds dance in the streets, clowns make funny…. See, that’s why I chose not to write a real story. I was stuck after the second sentence. Had I persevered, though, it would have become a great story, let me tell you. Anyway, Persia’s title passes on to AUSTRIA, of all nations, because we so wisely chose to research Idealism as first tech and get a 150 prestige boon after Neokantian idealism. Say hello to the world champion in prestige. Happy dance, anyone? Better do it now, as soon someone is going to steamroll us in that regard. Researching Idealism took until August 20th 1837. We’re facing a problem here as research does take way too long. Second tech pick is Clean Coal, which hopefully will put us in the positive, money-wise. And btw:
After trade settles to the predefined buy/sell quantities, we experience a hefty surplus of 1,4 … hey, where’s the pound symbol? Hmmm…. I had one on other keyboards. Seems like GB’s prestige took a hit somewhere down the road. So let’s take the € symbol. Ok, as of October 12th, we’re in the business.

As of October 14th, we’re out and continue losing money. Those capitalists should start builing things soon, or Austria’s getting into trouble. A quick look reveals the Viennese capitalists own € 460,- and accumulate about € 1,- per day. With 0% taxes. This will be a long road….

The London Treaty fires at May 3rd 1837, latest I’ve seen so far. The Netherlands were overrunning Belgium for once, but obviously the AI didn’t want to press the issue. Texas is incorporated into the USA at March 8th 1838, which is the earliest I’ve seen. Hey, this game rocks. All the suspense, it’s nearly driving me mad. I suppress a yawn and hope you’ll bear with me. I wouldn’t. No, really.

Yawn…. Clausewitzian theory and Superior Crew Thesis chosen… yawn…

Ok, I meant to leave you with a cliffhanger extraordinaire, letting you snap out of bed in the night, in cold sweat, wondering: “How will this continue?”
Errr…. This is what I can offer you:

14shotorientalcrisisjv5.jpg

I pick the full diplomatic support option. I don’t want to be the Ottoman’s best friend, but I don’t need to … neglect our relationship. We’re still running negative in cash, this is what scares me the most. Hello, Mr. Capitalist, don’t you feel like investing? No? Ok, we’ll just wait and bleed dry, then.
France allies with Egypt against the Ottoman Empire, so there’s the chance of action. No, not really as normally nothing develops from this. And now I’ve spoilt the cliffhanger.

At the end of this first AAR post, I’m happy to report that we’re still number 6 on the world’s Hot Or Not – List, although that’s only because of the prestige gain from Idealism.

Still here?

Ok, the AAR title “Saftladen”, for the English audience in here, means “dump” or “badly managed establishment”. And “Saftladen” in Hungarian means “Italbolt” although it does not carry a negative meaning there. Gee, I’m creative, don’t you think? Neither do I. I couldn’t come up with a more spicy title. Sue me.

Last edited:
You are allowed to help me concerning:

1 - making images appear at full size

2 - crossing words, as if I hadn't meant to say that (Man, you missed out on a bunch of good laughs on the first update only!)

3 - embed links (like the OHgamer AAR reference.)

Sorry, but I AM too stupid.

near the end it says .th.png take out the th and one of the .'s that will make i full size

Subscribed

Doesn't work as my links don't sport a "th" (as in THumbnail, I guess). I get redirected to Imajr.com from imageshack. Photobucket won't work for me, as I use a w-lan card in my laptop. And I tell you, she's picky. Photobucket just won't load the confirmation code....

Well, I say let's deal with it.

Looks interesting so far. Funny way of writing. I'll be following this one.

First update

Ok, seems we've got two readers, which is about twice the maximum I expected. 0 x 2 = 2, right?
So let's continue.

Well, when we left tiny Austria it wasn’t able to sport a positive daily income. But matters will get worse, trust me. I trust my nearly non-existent playing skills to achieve that.

Currently we run at -17 € per day. The capis have accumulated about € 700 – not enough to start building now. Also the scarcity of steel hits the world market …. and me. It doesn’t exactly help and I will have to depend on the capitalists to set up a few steel …. farms? Steel stables? I don’t know, just let it grow! But I do know the word scarcity, and that’s something.

Let it be known that on November 24th 1838 our economy has hit rock bottom and started to dig, as I have to take the first loan from the bank.
Later, I pick Market Structure after Clean Coal is developed. And voilà, we manage a +9 € surplus. Let me tell you, that was all my plan. Letting me look weak to the others and now look at me, I’m a +9 € economic superpower.

To celebrate my newfound greatness, Austria DOWs it’s ancient arch enemies, the evil Krakowians. Or Krakowers. Did you know, by the way, that there’s a sausage that’s called Krakauer in Austria? Then the unthinkable happens: Krakow mobilizes. Austrian troops have difficulty advancing into the enemy territory, because I misclick several times as the province is so tiny.
Krakow is finally annexed, after a long and bloody struggle, on June 13th 1839.

21shotkrakowannexedft0.jpg

And that means we needed 2 full months from DOW to annexation. Lame. In further news, BB has reached a historical high of 1,96.

A few months later I’ve had it with Metternich and all the other wimps in his cabinet. There’s no progress at all on the economic front. He can go and hassle other nations with his strict views on economy, minorities and what not.

22shotradicalpartysetlo3.jpg

The Radical Party sure does have some nice stats. All the heart desires: laissez-faire, full citizenship, pro military, free trade… I don’t know if Austria’s ready for ‘em Radicals, but let’s give it a try. Only thing I’m not sure of is the Atheism that they believe in.. or not believe in, no clue. Isn’t Atheism another religion, because they deny the existence of God? If you turn your religious belief into a dogma, then doesn’t even Atheism become a religion by itself?

Now I’ve got a headache, but that’s lifted not even a month later, when the first new factory is beginning to be built in Österreich. I was right after all and Metternich can bite my shiny metal behinds. Applause, decorations and pats-on-the-backs for everyone.
So we are on the right way and I immediately start converting POPs to capitalists. One POP, that is, because I’ve run out of machine parts. So all hail the new capitalist people of Slovakia! Hurrah!
The capitalists also start to expand the railroad networks at long last.

23shotusamexikowf9.jpg

After two years of hard fought war the USA gets a white peace out of Mexico. What’s up with them? Never seen that before. Normally Mexico gets EATEN (yes, in capital letters) by the USA and most of the times France also decides it wants a bite. Do we see a wimpy USA AI here? You bet. More to follow.

On a side note, I managed to include the word “wimp” already two times in this update.

After I repaid all debts, I start to make friends and influence people, and you can tell that this is a good thing as “How to make friends and influence people” is the title of Terrorvision’s most prominent album. This is so mid-90ies you say? Well, I concur. I buy goodwill from Russia, France and the UK by offering them money (€ 100 each) and not picking “influence country”. I’ve learnt that much from the forums. Money can’t buy friends? Sure it can!

In August 1841, the war between the Ottomans and Egypt ends on harsh terms by the OE.

24shotegyptpeacese0.jpg

Notice that they’ve also received Alexandretta in the peace deal. Alexandretta, where the Grail awaits…

On March 2nd 1842, the last farmer in the Viennese countryside leaves his plowshare where it lies and wanders off into the furniture factory. A little later, Army Professionalism is developed, just in time for…

25shotdowparmajh1.jpg

Ok, I hope that was a little better than the start of the AAR. Stand by for extreme inability to subdue countries a fracture the size of Austria, freak wars between brother nations, love, tears and happy picnics in the park. Err… Erase the last.

(There is more where this came from. Don't expect this to be an AAR where there's lots of updates at first and then: SUDDEN DEATH. I was called Sudden Death in my years on the streets, by the way, but I've quit the fighting to become a respected AAR author.)

Last edited:
austria is a cool country to play. i once made it to top2 i think. managing to not only preserve all the provinces i start with but by 1934 annexing silesia and creating satellites from estonia thtough lithuania, poland, ukraine, romaina, bulgaria, serbia through to a tiny rump papal state. not to mention an african and argentinian colonial empire. the most bizarre moment however must have been my war with the USA where i landed some troops and occupied New Orleans for a fre months before the Yanks sued for white peace.

good luck with you game!

Ladislav said:
austria is a cool country to play. i once made it to top2 i think. managing to not only preserve all the provinces i start with but by 1934 annexing silesia and creating satellites from estonia thtough lithuania, poland, ukraine, romaina, bulgaria, serbia through to a tiny rump papal state. not to mention an african and argentinian colonial empire. the most bizarre moment however must have been my war with the USA where i landed some troops and occupied New Orleans for a fre months before the Yanks sued for white peace.

good luck with you game!

Ladislav, don't expect from me anything like your achievements. I did mention I'm no good at this game, didn't I?

Nice update. It's even funny. 0x2=0 so you still have zero readers. I'm just in your mind. Imaginary reader like imaginary friends... :D

rhynoclemmis said:
Ladislav, don't expect from me anything like your achievements. I did mention I'm no good at this game, didn't I?

You should do ok. It was my 5th game only anyway. Remember one thing though, if you want to improve your standing, do not attack the country that ranks above you, attack the country that ranks below you and annex their industrial provinces. And laissez-faire.

PS: annexing Tunisia and building a naval base there will give you reach to move into West Africa.

rhynoclemmis said:
Doesn't work as my links don't sport a "th" (as in THumbnail, I guess). I get redirected to Imajr.com from imageshack. Photobucket won't work for me, as I use a w-lan card in my laptop. And I tell you, she's picky. Photobucket just won't load the confirmation code....

Well, I say let's deal with it.
just a little possible problem

the site is
www.imageshack.us

not .com :p

qwerkus said:
nice AAR. Anyway, WHO can claim, that he's a master at wiki/ricky ? Everytime I think seeing through it, another thread arises in this forum - and I just feel stupid ...

I think we can count those masters of victoria on two hands. :D must be simply the most complex (but not complicated) game ever made, I absolutely fell in love with it :eek:o

rhynoclemmis,

So glad to see you launching your first AAR, good luck. I think after Krakow, the rest should be a cakewalk, at least until its time to deal with Montenegro. :D

Rhynoclemmis,

I know better than to promise that I will "follow" an AAR, because my discretionary time right now is about as limited as my discretionary income.

But please know that I will try to follow this when I can!

I enjoy reading Austria AARs, and there seem to be precious few of them. I know one or two got out of the gates, but then weren't completed.

Hooray for blobism!

And you're right about atheism being a faith. I used to be one, so I know. But not to start that discussion here. If we want to get a thread closed let's start one in OT. :D (just kidding!)

Rensslaer

Second update

Ok, so one of my goals is to hinder Italian Unification. First, I won’t have to worry about another front with a (most likely) Great Power and second, I want those rich North Italian provinces for myself. They sure do work nicely when industrialized, as I fondly recall…. In order to leave some borders with weak countries, I perhaps won’t go on an annexation spree in the Balkans. Mark the perhaps.

For whatever reason, Lucca decided to join the fun. They weren’t allied to Parma, but the more the merrier. Lucca was on the list anyway, but they are allied to everybody and their mother, so I didn’t DOW them as I wanted France and Sardinia-Piedmont to stay out of this.
EDIT: I concede that obviously my attention span is a little short, as Parma actually IS allied to Lucca. But that was the third line in the info box, so perhaps I got distracted reading my way down....

In June 1842 UK goes to war with the USA over something called the Aroostook War. I can’t even recall the event, so this is new at least for me. Interesting.

July 3rd 1842 saw the annexation of Parma into the Habsburg Empire. Note that Pama (without the “r”) is a small village on Austria’s today-borders to Slovakia. Coincidence? I think not!

By February in the following year I managed to create a f-wording mess in the Italian theatre. Just look at this!

31shotmessinitalyka7.jpg

5 under-funded infantry divisions, accompanied by 3 cavalry divisions, were not enough to stop me from being all incompetence. Modena even took Verona and Brescia, the Papal States are reclaiming their lands, sending me into a hysterical fit and Radetszky to the front. That 20 leadership arrived just in time.

On May 2nd 1843 (can’t believe these wars take so long!) Franz I decides to bail out of the mess he created (NOT ME!) and leaves us with his semi-retarded son Ferdinand I.

32shotspeakhungarianoq2.jpg

On the same day, the people of Hungary discover that they have a language of their own. So, they shall speak Hungarian! You can also see that the front has been stabilised, thanks Radetszky.

May 13th 1843 sees the world’s first double annexation as Modena and Lucca are welcomed to the fold. Simultaneous annexations are Great Powers’ favourite past time since. A month later the Papal States offer white peace. I gladly accept.

NOT. D’oh.

In December the UK annexes Liberia. I become interested in this war and glance at the USA.

33shotusaintroublerz1.jpg

Seems like the UK really means it this time. They’ve begun taking cities on the East Coast. I’d rather have the USA win this, as they normally aren’t very aggressive, contrary to the UK, those imperialist brutes.

In January 1843 the Papal States come up with exactly the peace agreement I wanted to propose, making the end of the war that more happy. For me. Ancona, Ferrara, Rimini and Bologna join the Empire.

34shotnewitalyqq4.jpg

The new face of Italy? Don’t bet on it! Tuscany seems so tempting, so I open the diplo-screen and am about to click on “Declare War” when I second-guess my decision. Yes, they are allied to Sardinia-Piedmont. As I don’t want this to develop in a war where I would have to pull my whole existing army into the theatre and thereby baring all other fronts, I leave the situation as it is. I gained a glass and a canned food factory, after all. BB level is at 12 currently. That’s ok, I think and so conclude the update. Have a good night.

As a side note, I'm very honoured to have two Grand Masters of AARts, Quirinus308 and Rensslaer on board.

Last edited:
Nice work reducing the italian states down to size before the revolutions.
I think you should pre-emtively attack russia before you get into trouble with badboy points, leaving you freer to crush and annex away come '48...

Great ARR, I like your style. Good work with Italy. Now, back to the future, what are you going to do with Crimean War. Will you join? Thats good opportunity to take some polish and ukrainian provinces.