• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CollectorOfBolts

First Lieutenant
43 Badges
Mar 27, 2021
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Magicka
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
For those who have not been following the Victoria 3 forums, it looks like the V3 team is seriously looking into message settings (see quote below) and I would like to once again encourage/beg the CK3 team to get the feature into CK3.
We're also looking into message settings, as I think there is a solid case to be made for them in Victoria 3 given the amount of information presented and difference in what different players might be interested in at a given time.

@Wizzington also gives some context as to why the CK3 team has not seen message settings as necessary:
To take the example of notifications, CK3 in designed in such a way that information that player might be notified about tends to come relatively sparsely, and while it grows the larger you grow, the growth isn't that big - you still get a reasonable amount of notifications as an Emperor, which means a design of 'if the player is being notified, it's always important' works.

I would like to argue that, while Wizzington is correct that CK3 does not currently have a notification spam problem, it should have that as a possibility, per individual player desires. As the below exchange shows, different players want to be notified of different things:
When our vassals start fighting each other, courtier pregnancies and so on?
Why should a player be notified when a courtier gets pregnant?
Why shouldn't PlayerA, if they so desire, be notified of everything happening in their court and realm, from courtier pregnancies to the marriage of a vassal to the outbreak of a vassal war? And why shouldn't PlayerB be able to set things up so that they get notifications about the goings-on in neighboring realms? Or just one's own immediate family? Or all king+ rulers across the entire map? Or any other configuration one can think of?

As shown on another thread, the CK3 team is already making compromises and leaving out potentially-useful notifications in order to avoid spamming the player:
On internal wars: hmm, honestly, I think we're a bit wary of adding more feed messages.

And this will only get worse as development continues. Every major update and DLC will add (the potential for) new notifications. And a recent DD stated that the next expansion will be
focusing in large parts on reinforcing the connection between map and character.
I find it difficult to believe that this can be done without adding notifications.

For further proof that the players want message settings, just head over to the suggestions sub-forum and click the "popular" button. The Message options suggestion thread is at the top of the list with a commanding lead over the second-place suggestion for an AI adultery rework despite that issue getting a fresh thread here on the main CK3 forum seemingly much more often with at least 3 threads in just the last several months (here, here, and here) and no easily-discovered new message setting threads in that time (though a long-running thread was bumped back in September).

CK3 devs, I understand the desire to avoid adding message settings and applaud you on managing things as well as you have. That said, this game would greatly benefit from message settings and the players clearly want them. So, please, I implore you, add message settings to CK3.

TLDR: CK3 needs message settings. The suggestion thread has a commanding vote lead over all other suggestion threads. Go up-vote the suggestions thread.

Fellow CK3 players, what do you think of the current notification/message setup? What new notification(s) would you like to see? What notifications do you currently ignore? And what notifications/messages would you move between the various messaging formats (message feed, toast, situations button, and individual notification) were there an option to do so?

Last edited:
  • 6Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I strongly agree that CK3 should have message settings. I currently use mods for most of my notification needs, but this has certain limits, primarily my own modding knowledge and how much time I am willing to invest into this. One important aspect of "old-school" message settings was auto-pausing when certain things happen, which I also try to replicate via mods.

Regarding what kinds of notifications/alerts I currently get via mods:
-> War Alerts
-> Any guest arrives
-> A guardian can be assigned for any child in court
-> Any courtier wants to leave
-> You can demand conversion
-> You can change a feudal contract
-> Various notifications about your dynasty members
-> You can do a sumptuary debate

Things on which I make the game auto-pause via mods:
-> Siege complete
-> Council task complete
-> Battle complete
-> Any new major alert

Things on which I would *like* to have a notification, but have not figured out how to mod it yet:
-> One of your dynasty members gets betrothed.
-> The betrothal of one of your dynasty members is broken (including by death)

Things where there is currently a full auto-pausing letter event, but which I would like to have replaced by a simple notification:
-> My spymaster did not find secrets, while I don't have the truth is relative perk. In this case just keep searching without bothering me about it every single time.

• 6Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
For those who have not been following the Victoria 3 forums, it looks like the V3 team is seriously looking into message settings (see quote below) and I would like to once again encourage/beg the CK3 team to get the feature into CK3.

@Wizzington also gives some context as to why the CK3 team has not seen message settings as necessary:

I would like to argue that, while Wizzington is correct that CK3 does not currently have a notification spam problem, it should have that as a possibility, per individual player desires. As the below exchange shows, different players want to be notified of different things:

Why shouldn't PlayerA, if they so desire, be notified of everything happening in their court and realm, from courtier pregnancies to the marriage of a vassal to the outbreak of a vassal war? And why shouldn't PlayerB be able to set things up so that they get notifications about the goings-on in neighboring realms? Or just one's own immediate family? Or all king+ rulers across the entire map? Or any other configuration one can think of?

As shown on another thread, the CK3 team is already making compromises and leaving out potentially-useful notifications in order to avoid spamming the player:

And this will only get worse as development continues. Every major update and DLC will add (the potential for) new notifications. And a recent DD stated that the next expansion will be

I find it difficult to believe that this can be done without adding notifications.

For further proof that the players want message settings, just head over to the suggestions sub-forum and click the "popular" button. The Message options suggestion thread is at the top of the list with a commanding lead over the second-place suggestion for an AI adultery rework despite that issue getting a fresh thread here on the main CK3 forum seemingly much more often with at least 3 threads in just the last several months (here, here, and here) and no easily-discovered new message setting threads in that time (though a long-running thread was bumped back in September).

Fellow CK3 players, what do you think of the current notification/message setup? What new notification(s) would you like to see? What notifications do you currently ignore? And what notifications/messages would you move between the various messaging formats (message feed, toast, situations button, and individual notification) were there an option to do so?

CK3 devs, I understand the desire to avoid adding message settings and applaud you on managing things as well as you have. That said, this game would greatly benefit from message settings and the players clearly want them. So, please, I implore you, add message settings to CK3.
Not to mention that it is, I believe, the most upvoted suggestion in the suggestions subforum by far.

• 3Like
Reactions:
CK3 dearly needs message settings. I can't understand why the devs deprecated it from CK2, tbh.

Reactions:
Not to mention that it is, I believe, the most upvoted suggestion in the suggestions subforum by far.

It currently leads the second-most-up-voted suggestion thread 188-to-131 (about 43% more votes). I have edited the OP to add a TLDR that makes note of this in addition to the mention it had already gotten in the post.

Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
And in case anyone is interested, FunGaming44 is maintaining the Configurable News Feed, which allows you to set “customisable and comprehensive message settings in a custom gui window.”

Reactions:
Looks like message settings are coming to Vic3. Hopefully they were built in such a way that the CK3 team can port them over.
Well, it seems that the CK3 team is not going to get an assist from the Vic3 team on this one:
Out of curiosity, is the infrastructure for the message settings part of the engine or specific to Vic3? In other words, how easy/difficult would it be to port the system over to CK3?
Game specific

I guess we'll just have to keep on pushing for message settings in CK3.

Reactions:
\
Well, it seems that the CK3 team is not going to get an assist from the Vic3 team on this one:
That's a shame, although I can understand it.
I guess we'll just have to keep on pushing for message settings in CK3.
Yes, don't forget to upvote the Suggestion everyone if you would like to see this. Look for the arrow on the right of the top post (or sometimes underneath it on mobile view).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.