• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
He deserved forgiveness at the end :/ I hope his son will wash up his sins

Wow. I feel so sad after reading that. At least your son became marshall before you died :D - that would've brought honour to the Bourbon name.

The Reign of Archambaud is at an end! Long live Archambaud! I've seriously got to start getting different names into the family!

The sins of the father and all that...

Poignant update-very well written

Let's see what Archambaud Jr is made of! ;)

Congratulations Oligarchy! You've been picked as this week's WritAAR of the Week for your excellent writing in this AAR. Can't wait to see what happens with the new Archambaud!

Indeed, one of my personal favorite AAR character has just passed away, hopefully his sons realize the extent of his efforts to bring glory to their house.

They might. Working on an update and seeing which formula works the best for Archambaud the younger.

The sins of the father and all that...

Poignant update-very well written

Let's see what Archambaud Jr is made of! ;)

Thank you. :) We shall indeed see!

Try Archambaudass :p .

"His Grace, the Duke of Archambaud." I should start renaming all my holdings to some sort of variant on "Archambaud." This way we can have Archambaud I King of Archambaudia. :D

Congratulations Oligarchy! You've been picked as this week's WritAAR of the Week for your excellent writing in this AAR. Can't wait to see what happens with the new Archambaud!

What? I have? Awesome! Thanks. To be honest I didn't even know such a thing existed, but after having reviewed the page and all the material I am truly honoured to have been chosen. Thank you again. :)

Congrats Oligarchy!
Great job on this, and congratulations on winning WritAAR of the week!

Thank you. :)

33b1uf8.png
Interregnum. Reign of Comte Archambaud of Bourbon, Auvergne and La Marche.
As I stand at the door to my fathers study, I feel many emotions coming to the fore at once. Trepidation, sorrow... and fear counted chief amongst them. It has been a scant few hours since the death of my father, the Count of Bourbon and La Marche. He was found dead in his own bed by his manservant, Bouchard whom had discovered his master having passed on in his sleep. For that at least, we must be grateful for my father did not suffer as my mother had on her death bed. I know for a fact that my father knew the sickness, both mental and physical that was spreading in mother, but was either too powerless to stop it... or simply did not care. Their marriage had never been warm, at least not in times that I remember and whilst I would say that they held some affection for each other, it in the end did not prove to be enough. My mother died years ago, and now my father has joined her, leaving me with the task of leading our much enriched domain.

Swallowing, I finally open the heavy oaken door into my fathers private domain: his solar. Whilst many lords maintain their study apart from their personal apartments, my father had gone through the trouble of combining them so that he could work well into the night. Even though his body is being prepared by the Bishop of Souvigny, I can still feel his lingering presence here. The slightly musky scent that followed him everywhere... or not. Seems someone has forgotten to empty the chamber pot. Will have to see about getting that done.

As I look around the room I am struck by how...small it is. In this room my father spent much of his life, and despite being one of the great lords of Aquitaine, it is small indeed. I remember when I came here as a boy, feeling as if I were entering into the Kings palace. It seemed much larger than it does now. Even the seat I had presumed a throne is simply a comfortable sitting chair, broken in by heavy use. This is not a kings palace. This is the work place of a man that spent his life closeted in his own thoughts and dreams.

The thought causes me to grimace and I remember the last conversation I had with my father. It was over a year ago and concerned my fathers decision not to grant Aymon La Marche as an appanage. I argued that with three full counties now available to us, not even one of his sons need go without a title and lands, but he was unmoved. "It is necessary for the survival and prosperity of our House." He told me. As if you could build a House with only man reigning in power... Whilst my brothers have taken it in good humour, it is clear that they too are disappointed. Whatever may come I will see that I do right by them. No matter the cost. I may not be able to go against my fathers will with division of these lands, but I shall ensure that they want for nothing.

As I turn my attention to the table, I notice that the servants have forgotten to clear it. There is a single heavy tome still laid upon its oaken surface. As I move closer I see the words stamped on it: The Bourbons. Underneath there is a subtext "A Posse Ad Esse." From possibility to actual... it has a nice ring to it. A Posse ad Esse. However it is not the subtext that interests me, but the title itself... Bourbons. I slowly seat myself on my fathers old chair and gently open the book...

I will not know this until many years from now, but it was at that moment that my legacy was decided. With tears of sorrow, anger and disappointment flowing down my cheeks I consume each and every word of the tome. It is far from finished, but I can already see the words that I must write on it appearing... and my hand reaches for the ink and quill nearby. It is time for a new Bourbon, a new point of view.

It is time for us to start anew.

Superb update. Out with the old and in with the new!

I just came over from WritAAR of the Week, and I'm loving your writing!

I Just finished reading through your AAR and I have to say that your character writing is top notch. I may have teared up a little when old Archambaud passed on.

Keep up the good work and I'll be here following.

Sorry for no update this week. Taking a bit of a hiatus due to work, but will have a new entry next weekend. :)

No worries Olligarchy. Think a few of us have kinda got caught up with other things sadly. Will await your return with anticipation