• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Lol, nope.

If you ever decide you can write something beyond two words (one of which isn't even a real word...) you can come back to me and we can debate over the matter, but as of now I don't feel the need to argue over something with you. :) Thank you for your feedback, but if you do not intend to contribute anything to the discussion here then please maintain your silence.

fm1bg5.png
1st of January, 1076 AD. Reign of Comte Archambaud of Bourbon and La Marche.
On the 10th of February I am taken ill. Though the disease is nothing serious, it does put me out of commission for several weeks during which I am unable to find out more information on how and why Duke William of Normandy decided to press his claim for the French throne. I am however fully recovered by 22nd of March... just in time to witness the critical battle of this war. The battle itself takes place in Île-de-France with Count Raoul of Vexin-Amiens leading the royalist side and Richard de Conteville and his brother Jean de Conteville leading the Normans.

Squared off are some two and a half thousand royalists and a bit over three thousand Normans. Whilst Count Raoul does his best to hold the Normans off at the critical river fords, the constant wars since King Philippe's ascension have stripped his side of manpower... especially Heavy cavalry. Much of the cream of French Chivalry was stripped from us during the war over Ghent with the Germans, and the prolonged conflict with the Bretons didn't help in that regard. Hence when the Normans weakness at the flanks was exposed, Count Raoul only had some light horse to send at it, and those men were easily driven back by the determined Norman axemen. The Battle of Île-de-France ends as expected on the 5th of May with a Norman victory.

Count Raoul does his best to maintain a semblance of an army and marches to Sens with the remaining men... a bit over a thousand in hopes of getting reinforcements and more supplies. His hopes are dashed however as upon his arrival on the 19th his men are ambushed by the fast marching Normans. Whatever else one may say for Duke William, he is more than an able strategist and has clearly planned this out. With the royal host destroyed there is nothing to stop the Normans from beginning a general sack of the country side, and soon all of Champagne and Berry are aflame with Norman raiders looking for loot as the would-be King William prepares for his coronation.

Whilst these events are of critical importance to the realm, they do not truthfully concern us overtly much. True, we've made two pacts with the Capetians, but it is not out place to fight their wars for them... especially as the King has not foreseen the wisdom of granting the title of Duke to myself, or his nephew. This means that with the forthcoming pact between my son Pierre and Duke Williams daughter Agathe we are well situated no matter which side comes out on top in this conflict. Hence I turn my attention back to things of more... immediate concern. Namely the complete destruction of the House of Poitou and inheritance of those lands by the Bourbons.

23uvat4.png

Duke Guilhém of Aquitaine has a vast extended family, but his heirs are few. Only Guilhém the Younger stands as his male heir, and due to the Dukes advanced age it is unlikely that another son will emerge. His other two possible heirs are his daughters. I first make inquiries on the younger of the two daughters and find out that she has an embarrassing stutter, but that does not discourage me. I make the long journey to Bordeaux to negotiate with the Duke and after prolonged feasting and drinking we agree that my grandson, Charles of Bourbon will be married to his youngest daughter Brandimena. I agree to the younger daughter due to my grandson and her being practically of same age, and the fact that Aquitaine practices gavelkind succession.

In the ideal scenario the Duke will die in a few short years, leaving his fortunes to his two daughters, with my grandsons future wife inheriting Poitou and over lordship over Bourbon. In a few short decades from there the children of Charles and Brandimena would inherit the vast land holdings of both sides... in Bourbon name. The loss of Aquitaine and the other southern holdings would be regrettable, but I'm sure my son would be able to press some sort of claim on those to expand our reach ever further.

With that goal in mind, I begin to plot the murder of Guilhém the Younger, and to my pleasant surprise find many... and I mean many willing conspirators that only need a guiding hand. This will be easy.

On the 1st of January, my daughter Ermengarde and kinsman Guillaume both come of age and are married to Prince Hugues of France, and Clemencia de Poitou respectively. I am especially surprised by my daughter whom has become a strategist on par with her brothers, and is a very ambitious woman whom will no doubt press her... somewhat lacking husband to greater heights. Guillaume himself is a bit of an uncomfortable character to be around. Ambitious, zealous, but also slothful and quick to anger. He will make for an excellent battlefield commander, but I feel that he is unsuited for future titles.

14312l4.png

If you ever decide you can write something beyond two words (one of which isn't even a real word...) you can come back to me and we can debate over the matter, but as of now I don't feel the need to argue over something with you. :) Thank you for your feedback, but if you do not intend to contribute anything to the discussion here then please maintain your silence.

I appreciate this Bourbons, but Henri Bourbon and is ilk were far more entertaining. But than again, the whole wars of religion in France were amusing like that. I suggest you imitate and become Cathars just to anger the rest of France.

Yes, a Cathar France. Hmmm.

2wd371c.png
18th of March, 1077 AD. Reign of Comte Archambaud of Bourbon and La Marche.
As the February rains come to an end, King Philippe sees fit to grant to the Count of Bourges, the title of Duke of Berry. I remember a time when the man failed to lead an army to victory against the Germans, and now he is being ennobled for possessing all of one county into a full blown duke? Is this how my son-in-law sees us? A family of jesters in blue? Does he feel that granting titles to others whilst leaving us subservient to the Poitous will make us feel more love for him? Well if he does he is wrong. A time will come when the Capetians will regret their insult to my family.

2pyxq3a.png

However the reason for the Kings good mood and promotion soon become clear: Duke William of Normandy is dead. Apparently he took an arrow to the knee during the battle of Île-de-France and in the aftermath the leg had to be amputated, but that did not stop the infection from spreading and eventually killing him. His son, Robert of Maine has been coronated as the Duke of Normandy and has once again pledged Norman arms to the Capets.

On the 17th of August, Guiraurd of Armagnacs plot to gain the Duchy of Gascogny succeeds and he becomes Duke Guiraurd of Gascogny. I am impressed by this young mans ability to rise through the ranks and can only hope that I may achieve similar results in the days to come.

2lu6ofq.png

Whilst I publicly praise Duke Guiraurds achievement, I am taken with a matter of more... personal nature. My wife, Filipa of Auvergne is dead. With her has also perished the House of Auvergne, and my eldest son Archambaud has become the Count of said province. Whilst I can appreciate the fact that my over a decade long plot has finally come to fruition, I still feel... hollow. The marriage between myself and Filipa was never a passionate one or in the later years even a loving or warm one, but I must admit I had gotten used to her little quirks and having her presence near me at all times. The coming years will be lonely and no doubt I will break what few close relations I've left, but I knew that before I set down this path... though I must admit I had not known just how lonely it would be. It is easy to plan for loneliness and distrust, but when faced with it, it is far from easy.

2ildkqe.png

However I have not the time for that. I can already feel the bells ringing for my death, and hence I must do as much good for the Family as I can. To that end I move to strike against our ultimate friend and foe at the same time: The Capets. King Philippe has had a son, Henri, whom will upon his death become the King of France if I cannot stop it. My daughter is married to Prince Hugues, a weak willed man and they've already had a young daughter. In order to secure our place in the realm, King Philippe must have no trueborn sons, and hence I call out to my contacts once again. I must admit now that I am planning the murder of my third infant it has become quite easy. Perhaps too easy. However I cannot become complacent as attacking a Prince of the Blood is treason of the highest order and should I fail King Philippe will no doubt take action.

2lieepy.png

The plot begins nicely, but then I receive news from Aquitaine: Agnés de Poitou has been married to William de Normandie.

This... could be problematic.

2e369eu.png

I appreciate this Bourbons, but Henri Bourbon and is ilk were far more entertaining. But than again, the whole wars of religion in France were amusing like that. I suggest you imitate and become Cathars just to anger the rest of France.

Yes, a Cathar France. Hmmm.

Ah, Pardon for the heat. I may be a bit hungover and short replies that do not contain justification tend to annoy me. ;)

And Cathar France might be doable, though that will entirely depend on how the game goes. I am not so much writing the story as recording it as it progresses.

Wow there's all sorts happening. I'm wondering what you'll do from a narrative perspective when Archambaud dies?

Great couple of updates by the way

Ah, Pardon for the heat. I may be a bit hungover and short replies that do not contain justification tend to annoy me. ;)

And Cathar France might be doable, though that will entirely depend on how the game goes. I am not so much writing the story as recording it as it progresses.

No problem, mate. I do enjoy seeing major Kingdoms as heresies, though i don't know if it's as easy as it use to be.

Wow there's all sorts happening. I'm wondering what you'll do from a narrative perspective when Archambaud dies?

Great couple of updates by the way

To quote Robert Jordan: Read and Find out. :)

we are waiting for Archaumbaud the Younger ,the sword in the night to wash up past sins...

Archambaud the Younger will be different... though it remains to be seen if he'll be more successful. Hoping we can get crusades started just in time for his reign to get a more martial image!

No problem, mate. I do enjoy seeing major Kingdoms as heresies, though i don't know if it's as easy as it use to be.

I'm guessing with all the Anti-Popes setup by HRE it should be doable to get heresies, but the problem is how to succesfully roleplay characters converting to them in a sane manner. And then avoiding getting holy warred to oblivion!

I'm guessing with all the Anti-Popes setup by HRE it should be doable to get heresies, but the problem is how to succesfully roleplay characters converting to them in a sane manner. And then avoiding getting holy warred to oblivion!

Church tries to unjustly take their land?

Church tries to unjustly take their land?

We'll have to see if such an event should occur!

Keep up the good work, my dear, we do not see enough french AARs (and yours is a very good one) around there :p .

Why thank you. :) I'm trying to keep the AAR focused on France itself, though obviously even now it would be way easier to go quickly beat up some pagans or muslims, nab extra land... but that would not be very fun or interesting except in the "speed world conquest" way. Roleplay and storytelling is the way I shall continue!

Please don't make the Bourbons emperors of Francia, it's Rome wich really belong to french :p.

Doubt with my personal house rule of granting "extra" crowns to Dynasty Members I'd ever be in a position to control large enough kingdom to create Francia. ;)

But there should be an update today or tomorrow, depending on how my last day at my old job goes.

I might be tearing up a little. You do realize that what you said is pretty much the most awe inspiring one writer can say to another? :) I appreciate the sentiment and hope that we will both have luck in our respective stories!

:) You should only ever build up people with your words. You deserve the recognition and I would nominate your for the ACAs but someone has I think. Keep up the fantastic work!

2wd371c.png
21th of September, 1077 AD. Reign of Comte Archambaud of Bourbon and La Marche.
These past months have been cold. Even under my many layers of wool and fur and with a hearthy fire burning in the fireplace, I barely sleep at night. I am kept awake by the memories of the past. The faces of the dead haunt me: the Auvergne's, the many children dead by my command and most of all... the way I have burned any bridge my family has offered to me. My son Archambaud has since his coronation as the Count of Auvergne not once visited me. He writes regularly to his brothers and has even offered to take Pierre on as his squire. However not one word has been said to me. In fact I had not learned of his promotion to Marshal of Aquitaine until Aymon let is slip during one of our evening meals.

2dq51z.png

Whilst I cannot say I am surprised, or truthfully even complain about my honourable eldest son shunning me, I must say that it still hurts. Sometimes I feel my heart beat so fast I think it will burst out of my chest... but eventually it always calms, leaving a sense of hollow emptiness. This is my life now. Plotting against a newborn prince and my family distancing themselves from me. Ever since the death of their mother one of my sons, not even Pierre seem to feel the need to spend overly much time with me. They stick together at least, and I see none of that brutal fight for supremacy that plagues so many other families, from them. Hopefully in the coming days they will stick together and fight for the glory of Bourbon, France and... and even God alike. I may no longer have faith in the Lord, but that is because I am accursed. I do not feel his warmth nor his love, because I do not deserve it.

It is past the hour of the wolf now, and yet I sit here in my study, penning my thoughts down to you, my son. I realize that in the past few years I've stopped addressing this directly to you, as I hope that any wisdom or knowledge that I have cleaned maybe used by Bourbons from now until the end of time. I do not call myself a wise man, nor can I truly call myself a good man... but I have done my best to remain honest at least to myself and the Lord above. Perhaps in the end the path I have set myself upon is the wrong one after all... but it is too late to change course. Tomorrow the Princes assassination will take place and we will see if the Bourbon's have a place on the throne or not.

Good night my son. Pray for the future. It is surprisingly cold tonight despite it being only September... perhaps I should ask for the servants to bring me more wood for the fire?

whfmeh.png

34y5m36.png