• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
good-for-nothing readership ??!?!?! Im a reader! how dare you call me good for nothing!! but its true tho.....

anonymous4401 said:
Indeed. Fear Russia, sadly, is not eligible for this quarter. Hopefully it will be eligible next quarter, though. ;)

There is no Comedy category this quarter. However, I was wrong about my original assessment on the # of comedy AARs. There is one: Lt Hilsdorf's Death of the Uncivillized World: A very special AAR . But it's the only AAR in the category, so the category is still not up for voting.

Anyways, Semi-Lobster, if you could pick the best Expositional and Narrative AARs, surely you could also pick a Best AAR?

Oh errr... right! I must have forgotten! Well Into the West wins!

EDIT: Well... woops! Sorry! I wasn't really paying attention because I was also reading the Wikipedia entry on Tok Pisin. I'm not much of a multitasker! :D

Last edited:
Semi-Lobster said:
Oh errr... right! I must have forgotten! Well Into the West wins!

You know, you can edit that in to your original voting post. ;)

Best Narrative AAR: "The Patriot's sword" by RossN

NAmeless

Best.....AAR: "Into the West" by Coz1

Nameless

The polls are closed, and the voting is over.

Here are the results:

# of Voters: 14

Best AAR:

Castles in the Sky by Rensslaer: i
Into the West by coz1: iiii
Fortune favor the brave by prussiablue: ii
Chronological Influences II by TC Pilot: ii
Fire Warms the Northern Lands by Rensslaer: iiii
The Bride of my Constant Desire by Mike von Bek: i

Best Expositional AAR:

Sick Man of Europe by clamp2004: i
The Bride of my Constant Desire by Mike von Bek: iii
Rule Britannia by Globe and Mail: ii
The Patriot's Sword by RossN: iiii

Best Narrative AAR:

Into the West by coz1: ii
Pain in the neck by Fenwick: i
The Patriot's Sword by RossN: iii
Castles in the Sky by Rensslaer: ii
Chronological Influences II by TC Pilot: iii
Fire Warms the Northern Lands by Rensslaer: i
The Danish Revival by Fiftypence: i

Best Character in an AAR:

Pavel Skiedweza from FWTNL: i
Stukov from Chronological Influences II: iiii
Sonny Gamble from Into the West: i
JP Koorne from Fortune Favor the Brave: i

Statistical Oddities:

# of Nominated AuthAARs who did not vote:

# of votes sent in by PM:

WINNERS:
Best AAR: Into the West by coz1 and Fire Warms the Northern Lands by Rensslaer tied at 4 votes
Best Expositional AAR: The Patriot's Sword by RossN with 4 votes
Best Narrative AAR: The Patriot's Sword by RossN and Chronological Influences II by TC Pilot tied at 3 votes
Best Character in an AAR: Stukov from Chronological Influences II with 4 votes

Congratulations to all of our winners! As you can also see, this is my 4000th post! :celebration:

I've noted some things I have learned during the course of this which I will ramble about here.

There were no votes sent by PM. Absolutely none. Were people unaware of this option or did they choose not to take it? Because I do fear that, due to the nature of this award (that is the flexibility of the category definitions), people might lean towards voting for AARs that have already been voted upon, since they might feel unsure that the AAR they would have voted upon belonged in the category they would have voted it for. Which brings me to my next point.

For this award to succeed, it must have clearly defined categories that are easy to see and to evaluate. Over the past month I had tried to reformulate the exact divide between 'Expositional' and 'Narrative'. I tried to refine the definitions and explain them better. I suppose I should have worked harder on that from the get-go, and provided many examples from all over the spectrum to clearly define the borders. One should take note that The Patriot's Sword by RossN had been voted upon by the voters in both the Expositional and Narrative categories, winning both no less, while not one person voted for it for both Expositional and Narrative, and no one voted for it as the Best AAR! Quite an interesting phenomenon, if I do say so myself. I am not sure if I have an adequate explanation.

Also, the 'Special' Category of 'Best Character' was completely botched by me. Next time I will stick to categories that are far easier to define and understand, such as 'Best Graphics' or 'Best Multiplayer AAR'

Now, as to the # of Voters, I had actually hoped for 20 when the middle of the month rolled by. But of course, I just fell short of 15. Whether or not this is enough interest to justify the furthering of this project is a judgment the P-t-B sandwiches of AARland must pass. But it is my conjecture that the set of all Victoria AAR readers is in fact a subset of the set of voters that voted in this contest, and that the reader that spreads his comments on more than one award-worthy AAR is actually quite rare. He is rarer than I thought. So unless the # of wide-ranging readers are increased in the Vicky AAR forums (a process I hope may be facilitated by this very contest itself), I believe this is the best we will get, if it were restricted to Victoria. By this I do not mean that the upcoming VictAARian Cross will have as close to as few voters, for by the nature of the Cross they narrow the choices down, and all a voter must do is look through two or three pre-defined choices to make a decision. Here, the potential voter may feel that he must look through at least a dozen AARs to pass good judgment upon three months of collective work, a task that is daunting indeed. (This myth I should dispel in the explanation of any future AARland Choice AwAARds, but I am having a hard time coming up with a way to do so without unintentionally biasing the votership against or towards a certain type of AAR) I also do not mean that the hypothetical AARland Choice AwAARds - 2005 Q4 will have nearly as few, for the votership should multiply at least 5 times in size due to the readers of the other AAR forums joining in.

Oh! :eek:

Well I'd like to thank the Academy, and paticularly all the little people I trod on the way to the top - sure I could have done it without you, but it was still appreciated. Ahem. ;)

Special shout outs are due to Farquharson - whose Tunisian EUII AAR was the first read and what inspired meboth into getting Paradox games, and also into AAR writing, and to Mettermrck,whose iconic 'Advantages without Obligations' inspired me to writemy first serious, historical AAR (and awakened me to the joy of depicting elections!)Thanks guys. :)

To my heroicly loyal fans: I would be nothing without you. You stuck with me through thick (dialogue) and thin (plot) and encouraged me all along the way. Thank you. :)

To Vita, should you ever read this: Thanks simply for existing. :)

There are literally dozens of other people who deserved it more, but... well what can I say?

Ah, yes. I forgot the most important part of the AwAARd system. Acceptance speeches! RossN just gave his! coz1! Rensslaer! TC Pilot! Get up here and give yours!

Also, RossN, I would advise you to trim that signature. It is quite over the limit. :eek:

There, trimmed down. :)

Thanks I'd forgotten about the limit actually. :eek:o

Well, I'd say it was a very interesting experiment that may need some time to catch on, but certainly one worth trying again. I agree that the catagory definitions probably need a more solid understanding before we try again. I have been trying to think on it myself as of late, and the only thing that comes to mind is perhaps having three, rather than the two - Best Exp., Best Nar. and Best Exp/Nar. for those, like Renss' that straddle the line.

Exposition would be all those that do not use characters - i.e. log, history, etc.

Narrative are purely hist. fiction/fan fic

And the Exp/Nar is just that - ones that use a little bit of both.

I don't know, but it might be worth a try.

Outside of that, I think it was a limited success. There is certainly some difficulty getting people to engage in these types of projects, something that has always been an issue. As well, you touched upon those that get around to enough AARs to be able to effectively choose. I know I have one or two more that I probably should have read through more deeply, but there is only so much time and the other game areas require my reading time as well. Perhaps, as you suggested, this will spur others to get around a bit more.

And finally, I must say thankyou to those four people that voted on Into the West, though I really must concede defeat to Renss as he put much more effort into his work during this period than I did. I really just snuck by in terms of a few posts right at the beginning and end of the period.

It is certainly an honor to know that my work is thought of so highly. It helps me keep moving forward with it, even with some stops and starts along the way. So I'll let Renss take home the trophy for Best AAR and hope that instead my reward might be a few more comments from some new folks that checked it out. :D

And a hearty congrats to all the other winners!!!

:D First a WritAAR of the Week and now this! :D

Thank you all of those who voted for my AAR and my good ol' Alexei Stukov. I'm sure he's happy about this, and will spare your puny lives when the time comes :p This will most definately spur me on to write many more updates in the near future.

Congratulations to the other winners, including those who...TIED, with me. :p And sorry about the whole "Not-voting" thing....

Well, I figured you'd have responded by now, anon. But in the meantime, I had a few more thoughts, I thought I might share.
anonymous4401 said:
There were no votes sent by PM. Absolutely none. Were people unaware of this option or did they choose not to take it? Because I do fear that, due to the nature of this award (that is the flexibility of the category definitions), people might lean towards voting for AARs that have already been voted upon, since they might feel unsure that the AAR they would have voted upon belonged in the category they would have voted it for.
For votes by PM, one does not get many. Most folks, if they are willing to vote at all, want the post count, not to mention their voice heard. But I would keep the option open for some who might be shy about it.

As for the second point - I believe you are right. Many are predisposed towards lending their voice to something already suggested rather than tossing a new one into the mix, though I was pleased to see many exceptions in this particular case. And the catagory issue has already been mentioned.
anonymous4401 said:
Also, the 'Special' Category of 'Best Character' was completely botched by me. Next time I will stick to categories that are far easier to define and understand, such as 'Best Graphics' or 'Best Multiplayer AAR'
As for this, I think you are directly on target, so to speak. I might not hurt to take a look at what is out there before hand and choose a special catagory that fits the current work. Though I must say, it's really an extra, in true terms. I would not call it botched - it just didn't really resonate this time.
anonymous4401 said:
I also do not mean that the hypothetical AARland Choice AwAARds - 2005 Q4 will have nearly as few, for the votership should multiply at least 5 times in size due to the readers of the other AAR forums joining in.
I hope you do continue these, as I suggested earlier. I know I was a bit of a "wet blanket" at first, but I am coming around to the idea. I will suggest that there was still a notion of popularity involved, but I was impressed that the few voters we had "got it right" so to speak.

However, I would suggest that those few voters will likely be the same ones that voted before, if not a few pick-ups in between. That is one thing that one must assume these days (for better or for worse) - most people around here will only read their niche game, with a few crossovers in between. And many of those that actually do crossover, may not feel that they have read enough to make a qualified choice. It's something I am already dreading about the coming Vickie Cross voting.

The ones that you may count on, are likely those that are currently working in the area, and generally only a subset of those. But there is no doubt that highlighting an AAR does give it some "cache" if you will, and thus makes the project worthwhile.

If you are willing, and have the time, I might suggest that next time - run one in each of the game forums. See what kind of reaction it gets there. If it gains some following, then perhaps the time has come to move it to the general area and run one for all of the games at once. But that is a definite time commitment, and I fully understand that all of us have their own lives to deal with before the forum. However, if this will work, it probably should eventually be something for the whole place rather than moving from game to game each quarter. In fact, it may help foster more of that crossover already discussed. Perhaps not, but maybe. There is always hope. :)

Wow! Thank you! I appreciate this honor very much! :D

And I'm glad that there was a tie, because this way not only did -I- win Best AAR, but so did the one that I voted for -- Coz1's Into the West! And Coz, don't be so modest! Your AAR is magnificent, according to the best readers on the forum! Congratulations!

Naturally, congratulations to the other very deserving winners! I think these were some great choices. There is so much talent here in the Vicky forum and elsewhere, it is truly stunning. It makes the winning of these honors so much more meaningful.

And congratulations to everyone who was nominated... Even that speaks for something important! Which also means I owe a thank you to those who voted for my AARs for other items -- Castles in the Sky and also for Pavel Skiedweza as Best Character. I appreciate it!

As Fire Warms the Northern Lands goes onto its 44th page ::faints::, I want to express to every single one of the readers, and especially to those who have taken time to comment, THANK YOU VERY MUCH! It means so much to me to have people appreciate my work, and it certainly helps encourage me to do more.

As to Best Character, Anonymous, I really like that being a category. Perhaps title it "Best Character In a Story" if there was any confusion. Thank you for all the work you put into this! And I certainly hope you won't let it end here. This can be promoted and improved with time, and will hopefully become an important part of the Forum award process.

And as for the confusion of categories... When I talk about these types, I use more than one word for each, to eliminate some of the confusion. I'd refer to the categories as "Narrative/Drama" and "Expositional/History" or something like that.

Rensslaer

Hey anonymous...what's happened to you, sir? Did you plan on running one of these for quarter 4 of 2005? Hope you have not abandoned us. Hello...hello...? "Come back, Old Yeller...come back..." :(

I should have come back a month ago instead of now. Hope it's not too late to do the Quarter IV of 2005.

anonymous4401 said:
I should have come back a month ago instead of now. Hope it's not too late to do the Quarter IV of 2005.
If you've the time to run it, I'd be happy to see it up again!

Seemed to draw a good bit of life back into the forum the last time around.

Rensslaer