• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please forgive the sarcasm, but:
Yes, and the practice in the 1st century was to pray in catacombs and outside cities, so let's get rid of churches. Clerical celibacy was endorsed through most of the game's timeline, although, from what I remember, certain low-ranking members of Holy Orders didn't have to take the vows. Still doesn't explain why married men with children can become Catholic bishops (orthodox bishops would be an even-harder to explain case as they generally come from monasteries, mostly only lower-ranking priests marry). At the very least limit it to childless couples.

Please forgive the sarcasm, but: Vassals weren't supposed to rebel against their liege so maybe they shouldn't in CK2? In the Catholic church men who became priests while married could retain their marriage but could not engage in intercourse. Different rules were decreed at different times by the Orthodox and Catholic churches. Even as late as the 1100's many country priests and even Bishops were married and had children. In the 14-1500's you still have prominent married clergy. Martin Luther, Thomas Cranmer who was named Archbishop of Canterbury while married. Rodrigo Borgia was voted Pope even though he had multiple acknowledged bastard children. Even now in the Orthodox Church a married man who becomes a priest can keep his marriage, but cannot remarry if his wife dies, and celibacy is only required of bishops. So just because the technical rules stated that priests couldn't be married, bishops couldn't have children etc. it was actually fairly common for MOST of the time period. Your argument is kind of like saying that because the catholic rules forbid Antipopes and there weren't a ton of them then they shouldn't be in the game.

Running 2.0.2.4 beta. Don't know if this has been addressed yet in this thread. If you click from 'historical bookmarks' to 'saves' tab in Single Player Menu, Ironman becomes greyed out and cannot be fixed unless you opt out/into beta. Restarting game/steam does not fix. But then if you click on the saves tab again, will get greyed out ironman

Please forgive the sarcasm, but: Vassals weren't supposed to rebel against their liege so maybe they shouldn't in CK2? In the Catholic church men who became priests while married could retain their marriage but could not engage in intercourse. Different rules were decreed at different times by the Orthodox and Catholic churches. Even as late as the 1100's many country priests and even Bishops were married and had children. In the 14-1500's you still have prominent married clergy. Martin Luther, Thomas Cranmer who was named Archbishop of Canterbury while married. Rodrigo Borgia was voted Pope even though he had multiple acknowledged bastard children. Even now in the Orthodox Church a married man who becomes a priest can keep his marriage, but cannot remarry if his wife dies, and celibacy is only required of bishops. So just because the technical rules stated that priests couldn't be married, bishops couldn't have children etc. it was actually fairly common for MOST of the time period. Your argument is kind of like saying that because the catholic rules forbid Antipopes and there weren't a ton of them then they shouldn't be in the game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clerical_celibacy_(Catholic_Church)

If you want Wikipedia quotes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clerical_celibacy#Eleventh_and_twelfth_centuries
The tenth century is claimed to be the high point of clerical marriage in the Latin communion. Most rural priests were married and many urban clergy and bishops had wives and children.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Lateran_Council (1123)
CANON 21
Summary. Clerics in major orders may not marry, and marriages already contracted must be dissolved.

First link on the Second Council of the Lateran (1139):
However, although the decrees of the Second Council of the Lateran might still be interpreted in the older sense of prohibiting marriage only after ordination, they came to be understood as absolute prohibitions, and, while the fact of being married was formally made a canonical impediment to ordination in the Latin Church only with the 1917 Code of Canon Law, the prohibition of marriage for all clerics in major orders began to be taken simply for granted.

There is a bug in this patch: Every time I try to invade the Idrisid Emirate as an Ibadi Muslim, the invasion immediately ends inconclusively. Doesn't matter if my target is Shia or Sunni apparently.

Edit: save is here.

Last edited:
There is a bug in this patch: Every time I try to invade the Idrisid Emirate as an Ibadi Muslim, the invasion immediately ends inconclusively. Doesn't matter if my target is Shia or Sunni apparently.

Edit: save is here.
You should start a thread in the bug reports subforum, not post it in his thread.

Running 2.0.2.4 beta. Don't know if this has been addressed yet in this thread. If you click from 'historical bookmarks' to 'saves' tab in Single Player Menu, Ironman becomes greyed out and cannot be fixed unless you opt out/into beta. Restarting game/steam does not fix. But then if you click on the saves tab again, will get greyed out ironman
+1 I can confirm this as well.

Normally I can just quit CK2 and start again though and ironman is available.

This is going to be my last comment on the subject since it doesn't belong on this thread. Obviously there were rules against married priests, priests with children etc. As I said before though, just because the rules are present does not mean that they were followed, even as late as the 1500's. Plus, the rules were different for the Catholic and Orthodox churches. You also have to remember the political side of it. Yes the Pope was supposed to be the ultimate authority, but without the support of powerful kings he could find himself beset by Antipopes or wars without the help of allies. So if the King of England wanted to name a cousin bishop even though he was married, the Pope might not argue with him even though it was against the rules to do so.

This is simply untrue, since AFAICT the math doesn't work as you guys think. It may have been the case at some point, but isn't in current versions. I tried it by loading as the petty king of Brittany in 1066, console granting myself k_brittany. Each count can give about 500 troops max, except one who has two counties who can give about 1000. Grant one of them the duchy, wait a few weeks for the numbers to refresh. That duke with 5 counties can grant you a maximum of about 2500 troops, no halving going on.

Now this is very off topic, so if you want to discuss this in more detail, perhaps we should take it to a new thread?
No, I believe You are actualy mistaken.
First, as I understand the new system then those two SHOULD NEVER be exactly equal - the troops you get from 5 counts and troops you get from duke that has these counts as vasals. That should be because you have different opinion modifiers from duke and counts (and other things). Such as your duke will have better opinion on you than previously while having short reign modifier on counts etc.
So you getting the same amount of troops from duke and counts can happen only in very specific (acidental) combination of crown authority law, max feodal troops law and their specific opinions.
If however it would be true that you always get exactly same amount of troops as you claim then it would mean that some other mechanic (opinion, law) is broken or at least the current in game description does not reflect correct mexanic.
What I have obeserved is massive loss of troops as you introduce new vassalage tiers. For example, if you granting someone a county (and therefore the count have good positive opinion on you) you are better of if you keep barons directly under you. If you transfer baronies to count you would definetly lose total troops. I am not sure of exact mehanics how you lose the troops but you do lose (even after the wait). To be honest I have not tested this observation with this beta patch but I have no reason to believe that this has changed.

This is going to be my last comment on the subject since it doesn't belong on this thread. Obviously there were rules against married priests, priests with children etc. As I said before though, just because the rules are present does not mean that they were followed, even as late as the 1500's. Plus, the rules were different for the Catholic and Orthodox churches. You also have to remember the political side of it. Yes the Pope was supposed to be the ultimate authority, but without the support of powerful kings he could find himself beset by Antipopes or wars without the help of allies. So if the King of England wanted to name a cousin bishop even though he was married, the Pope might not argue with him even though it was against the rules to do so.
And this is going to be my last comment, because I agree that it's going off-topic. Perhaps in some cases this could be excusable with bishops, but it's simply not excusable with Holy Orders because of the scale of the issue. There is, quite literally, a flood of married people joining Catholic Holy Orders. In my current game the heirs to all 4 Catholic Holy Orders are married men (Templars don't exist yet), that this is the norm, and not an exemption is just wrong. Which is why I filed a bug report, as I believe it may be an oversight of whoever wrote the events that make people join Catholic Holy Orders, which would qualify it as a bug. If the devs don't change it, fair enough, it's their game. But they should be avare of the issue, which is why I pointed it out in the first place.
I hope that's all that needs to be said, let the devs handle it.

No, I believe You are actualy mistaken. [...] To be honest I have not tested this observation with this beta patch but I have no reason to believe that this has changed.

Ok, you could test and post a thread about it. My tests seem to indicate it's you who's mistaken.

First, as I understand the new system then those two SHOULD NEVER be exactly equal - the troops you get from 5 counts and troops you get from duke that has these counts as vasals.

Note "max" in the post your quoted. I was talking about the maximum number a vassal can give to you if levy laws and opinion are 100%. It's shown in the tooltip on the military tab.

Ok, you could test and post a thread about it. My tests seem to indicate it's you who's mistaken.

Note "max" in the post your quoted. I was talking about the maximum number a vassal can give to you if levy laws and opinion are 100%. It's shown in the tooltip on the military tab.
Besides, the point of the liege levy system is that it is based off of the number of men in the vassal's realm. Therefore, it should not at all matter whether that vassal is a duke with a bunch of counts under him, or those counts are direct vassals of you; it's based on the levies in the duke's realm, not the levies he actually gets from his vassals.
The only thing I can think of that would make you worse off levy-wise with dukes is simply that they're gonna have the "short reign" modifier unless they were your vassal already. Plus they've got more dejure titles they can desire.

I've found that even if you check-uncheck the auto-invite to plot box that it doesn't even invite people to plot any more, when clicking and pulling up the menu shows quite a few with positive thumbs.

Can you guys bring back the seperate "title_ruler_consort" localisation? For example, I would like to change all english barons to be localised as "Lord" and their wives as "Lady", but I would like a baroness in her own right to be known as "Baroness" instead of Lady. Also, I wanted husbands of queens to be called "Prince" instead of "King".

Right now, I cannot do that, because a few patches ago you removed the separate localisation.

Is there a way I could change it back myself?

Can you guys bring back the seperate "title_ruler_consort" localisation? For example, I would like to change all english barons to be localised as "Lord" and their wives as "Lady", but I would like a baroness in her own right to be known as "Baroness" instead of Lady. Also, I wanted husbands of queens to be called "Prince" instead of "King".

Right now, I cannot do that, because a few patches ago you removed the separate localisation.

Is there a way I could change it back myself?

As a Lithuanian Baltic pagan, a male baron is called "hetmen", but a female baron is called "baroness".

A pretty large problem with the "Depose Antipope" Casus Belli is when a future vassal is independent or rebelling and creates an Antipope, then after being incorporated into the larger kingdom/empire the only way to Depose the Antipope is by internal vassal warfare. The vassals liege can not remove the Antipope and external entities can not force its removal.

In my current game with the latest beta version there are now 2 Antipopes by separate dukes within the HRE (appointed during rebellions) with no way for me to remove as an external power, even when they die they continue to have successors hurting Catholic Moral Authority.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.