• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jorlem

Field Marshal
118 Badges
May 9, 2012
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Prison Architect
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • War of the Roses
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Dungeonland
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Darkest Hour
  • Ancient Space
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
So, last week, I made a list of suggestions in the suggestion forum describing how I thought personality traits should be rebalanced. I am of the opinion that quite a few traits are basically no-brainers to either choose or avoid. This results in heirs/children that are educated by the player having roughly the same spread of traits, and the same thing happens when personality trait events happen to the player character when he or she is an adult. To rectify that, I believe that every personality trait should have some sort of upside, and some sort of downside, and have made this mod based on my list of suggestions. This fits, in my opinion, with Paradox's stated policy/ideal/goal/(I can't recall the correct word) that every decision should be meaningful and important, not non-decisions.

That out of the way, here is the feature list for this mod: (for ease of reference, here is the wiki's list of traits in vanilla.)

• Chaste: Added Vassal Opinion +5
  • Lustful: Removed +1 to Intrigue
  • Temperate: Added penalty to Moral Defense of led troops: -10%
  • Gluttonous: Now allows use of Carousing Focus's "Invite to Party" decision without Focus being active. (Still requires WoL DLC.)
  • Charitable: Added penalty to global taxes: -10%
  • Greedy: Unchanged from vanilla
  • Diligent: Removed +10 Vassal Opinion. Added -10 Vassal Opinion.
  • Slothful: Removed -10 Vassal Opinion. Added +10 Vassal Opinion.
  • Kind: Added penalty to Damage dealt by led troops: -15%. Now unlocks Timid Advance combat tactic.
  • Envious: Reduces MTTH for the character's chancellor to fabricate a claim.
  • Patient: Now unlocks Hesitant Commander combat tactic.
  • Wroth: Can now Rival characters who have dishonored you (If taken, can no longer imprison the offender). Now allows use of the War Focus's "Duel" decision without Focus being active. (Still requires WoL DLC.)
  • Humble: Unchanged from Vanilla
  • Proud: Added -1 to Diplomacy
  • Deceitful: Unchanged from Vanilla.
  • Honest: Unchanged from Vanilla.
  • Craven: Tooltip now indicates modified chances of being killed, injured, or captured in combat.
  • Brave: Added triggered modifier: -0.5 Prestige per month when at war and not leading troops (Also applies if liege is at war.) Tooltip now indicates modified chances of being killed, injured, or captured in combat.
  • Shy: Now allows character to go into hiding without being plotted against.
  • Gregarious: Added -1 to Intrigue. Characters are now more likely to spill the beans if included in a plot.
  • Ambitious: Added -20 Vassal Opinion.
  • Content: Added +5 Vassal Opinion.
  • Just: Unchanged from Vanilla.
  • Arbitrary: Added "No CB" CB. This CB targets neighboring counties (or counties up to two sea tiles away), reduces prestige by -250 when used, and has a cooldown timer. Additionally, use of the CB generates a -12 global opinion penalty. (Planned: high Infamy cost when declaring this war, when the next DLC is released.) Added -2 to Diplomacy
  • Zealous: Adds Revolt Risk +10% to wrong religion provinces (Religious Intolerance.)
  • Cynical: Added +5 Infidel Opinion.
  • Paranoid: Can always go into hiding or send others into hiding, even without knowing of any murder plots against them. Tooltip now indicates modified chance of being imprisoned after combat.
  • Trusting: Added +10 Vassal Opinion.
  • Cruel: Can now use "Blind Prisoner" and "Castrate Prisoner" without being in Byzantine culture group. Added "Maim Prisoner" decision. (Still requires LoR DLC.)
  • AI Characters are now more likely to castrate Master Seducers, if they have access to the decision.

Update:

• Altered Perceived Cowardice triggered modifier: No longer triggers on children or non-Cathar Women.
  • Put timer on going into hiding with Shy to reduce message/alert spam

Update 2:

• Altered Perceived Cowardice triggered modifier: Now triggers for women of Basque culture, women of the Messalian religion, and characters with the special_marshal character flag.
  • Altered on-action events for Zealous RR events: Apparently Paradox uses bi-yearly to mean once every two years, not twice a year. Moved the events to yearly pulse.

Update for 2.5.2:
  • Adjusted opinion values for consistency with vanilla (most modifiers giving more than 10 were halved)
  • Added Threat to the Arbitrary no CB CB. It is currently set to 7 Threat from war dec, which I feel is painful enough to be felt, but not so painful that one will never want to use it. Threat will also be gained upon victory, as is normal.
  • Changed name that shows up in the launcher to "Rebalanced Personality Traits for 2.5.2", so the version number would be visible in the launcher (it was getting cut off before.)

Please see the suggestion thread for my reasoning behind these changes.

Download HERE 2.4.5

Download HERE 2.5.2

Decadence Breakup Compatible version HERE (2.4.5 only)

(Be sure to download the corresponding compatible version of the Decadence Breakup mod)

Please report any bugs in this thread. Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I don't get the rationale behind the changes to temperate, diligent and slothful, but otherwise, this is very well-conceived!
There *might be some issues with how the ai pick traits though, and the prestige penalty for bravery might damage the ai, unwittingly.

Edit: Actually, I should have actually read your suggestion thread before. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions:
Cool mod.
I particularly like gluttonous and arbitrary. To of my least liked traits are now my favorite. I don't think temperate should reduce troop morale, (wouldn't troops want to be led by someone who has self-control, and is good at managing?) but I can't think of any other penalties that would fit.

As a side note, could I use some of your ideas in a my mod?

Cool mod.
I particularly like gluttonous and arbitrary. To of my least liked traits are now my favorite. I don't think temperate should reduce troop morale, (wouldn't troops want to be led by someone who has self-control, and is good at managing?) but I can't think of any other penalties that would fit.

Instead of a morale malus, I would preclude temperate characters from becoming inspiring leaders (was that a leadership trait, or a tactic with similar name? Or both?).

Cool mod.

A bit of googling turns up the fact that the word originated in the 14th century, within the timeframe of the game, and meant "not affected by passion or emotion". I figured it would be reasonable for it to be difficult for a person like that to get his troops fired up. That's why there's the morale defense penalty. As for using this in a larger mod, go ahead, just be sure to credit me and link to this mod in your credits section. :D

Instead of a morale malus, I would preclude temperate characters from becoming inspiring leaders (was that a leadership trait, or a tactic with similar name? Or both?).
It's a command trait, and though I did consider that, I didn't think it was noticeable enough. Many characters don't ever get a command trait, and for those that do, there are many that they can get. Having Temperate block one of those traits wouldn't ever be noticed, I felt.
I don't get the rationale behind the changes to temperate, diligent and slothful, but otherwise, this is very well-conceived!
There *might be some issues with how the ai pick traits though, and the prestige penalty for bravery might damage the ai, unwittingly.

Edit: Actually, I should have actually read your suggestion thread before. :rolleyes:
Thank you! I agree that the AI might be hurt by the prestige penalty associated with brave, which is why I set it to -0.5 per month, and not higher. Also, this mod is meant in part as a showcase for the changes described in the suggestion thread, so in an ideal world, if this got put into the game, the devs should be able to teach the AI how to deal with it.

A bit of googling turns up the fact that the word originated in the 14th century, within the timeframe of the game, and meant "not affected by passion or emotion". I figured it would be reasonable for it to be difficult for a person like that to get his troops fired up. That's why there's the morale defense penalty. As for using this in a larger mod, go ahead, just be sure to credit me and link to this mod in your credits section. :D
Good point.

Arbitrary seems a little OP. For Honest, maybe disable Claim Fabrication and Plotting ?
Keep in mind, when the next patch hits, the CB Arbitrary unlocks is going to have a hefty Infamy price added to it as well (on war dec, not on victory), ideally enough to all but guarantee a coalition. I'll admit, it is a bit OP now though. Very fun, though.

As for Honest, you'll note that none of my changes actively disabled anything. I feel that if a trait completely turns off some feature, it would always be a no-brainer to avoid that trait, something this mod/suggestion list is meant to prevent. Plus, remember the reaction when Hunts and Pilgrimages were locked behind the Focuses?

Also, I'm uploading a tweaked version of the mod. The changes are:

• Altered Perceived Cowardice triggered modifier: No longer triggers on children or non-Cathar Women.

Reactions:
oh my... I have been waiting for a mod like this, i can only hope this will eventually be compatible with other major mods (ck2+), because once I'll get used to it, i don't think i'll want to play without it any more.
I wish you could get around the "won't marry an infidel" penalty if you had the cynical trait.

Reactions:
Keep in mind, when the next patch hits, the CB Arbitrary unlocks is going to have a hefty Infamy price added to it as well (on war dec, not on victory), ideally enough to all but guarantee a coalition. I'll admit, it is a bit OP now though. Very fun, though.

As for Honest, you'll note that none of my changes actively disabled anything. I feel that if a trait completely turns off some feature, it would always be a no-brainer to avoid that trait, something this mod/suggestion list is meant to prevent. Plus, remember the reaction when Hunts and Pilgrimages were locked behind the Focuses?

Also, I'm uploading a tweaked version of the mod. The changes are:

Shouldn't Perceived Cowardice trigger for the other women who can be commanders? (Messalian, Basque, special commanders)

Shouldn't Perceived Cowardice trigger for the other women who can be commanders? (Messalian, Basque, special commanders)

I couldn't recall if any other religions had female commanders, and the wiki only listed it for Cathars. My bad for the others, they slipped my mind when I added in the exception for women. I'll upload an adjusted version later tonight that includes them.

Change made and uploaded. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

I love this so much, thanks for making it! It is actually putting more thought in a lot of events that would otherwise have a very simple optimal option. Especially Arbitrary and Gluttonous, two quite powerful traits in this mod, but I can't always give my heir a pat on the head and let him eat and be merry, because together the traits are -4 stewardship! It's very good rp material too, if I did AARs I would do one with this mod enabled!

Reactions:
What would it take to make this compatible with HIP? Is it just basically merging files? I took a look at the files changed and was surprised at the number. The tactics file in particular would need to be merged since afaik there are tactics changes in HIP.

What would it take to make this compatible with HIP? Is it just basically merging files? I took a look at the files changed and was surprised at the number. The tactics file in particular would need to be merged since afaik there are tactics changes in HIP.
Basically, yeah. The tactics file, for example, was changed so certain traits now allow for tactics to be rolled. They aren't large changes, in terms of lines of code, but they are significant.

Reactions:
Basically, yeah. The tactics file, for example, was changed so certain traits now allow for tactics to be rolled. They aren't large changes, in terms of lines of code, but they are significant.
I'll just assume all files in common need to be merged then. It didn't look like a lot of changes, more like certain things had to be added. Should be easy enough. Thank you for the swift response!

"Shy: Now allows character to go into hiding without being plotted against." - Must be reeeaaaally shy...And I'm assuming the slothful/diligent changes are because a lazy liege means vassals get away with more, and vice versa? :p

Hoping this works with conversion mods, specifically GoT. (Turns out it does but not entirely. I can launch arbitrary war but can't cast my shy paranoid self into hiding or invite the king to carouse. Guess I'll have to merge some code. Ehh, tedious...But no problem, should be simple~)

I did notice the new arbitrary option is actually just called "No CB"...Is that intentional? Arbitrary Subjugation sounds so much cooler. XD

Also, does this stuff apply to AI as well? Like, could an arbitrary NPC just decide "Welp, war time!"?

Last edited:
Reactions: