• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jorlem

Field Marshal
118 Badges
May 9, 2012
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Prison Architect
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • War of the Roses
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Dungeonland
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Darkest Hour
  • Ancient Space
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
The purpose of this (mini) mod is to alter what happens at the conclusion of a successful decadence invasion, to result in the blob breaking up more. It does so by altering the event that fires for all vassals of the lord that just lost the decadence invasion, changing the weighting so that those vassals that are not de jure vassals are much more likely to declare independence. It also limits the "Ask to shape up" decision to either the head of the dynasty or the player. In addition, this version of the mod reduces the amount of decadence lost from winning wars, and from fighting battles, as well as to bring the opinion bonus from piety into line with the value needed for prestige, making it harder for Muslims to get that extra global +20 opinion. (Now, 2000 Piety is needed, instead of vanilla's 500 Piety.)
Here is the download link for the 2.3.3 compatible version: (Also is compatible with 2.3.4, 2.3.5, and 2.3.6, as they did not alter decadence.)
Decadence Breakup v3.95

Here is the version for 2.4.5, and one intercompatible with my trait mod:
Decadence Breakup v4

Decadence Breakup v4 Trait Rebalance Compatible

Here is the 2.5.2 compatible version of the mod:
Decadence Breakup v4.3

Changes for this version:
  • Decadence revolt armies now can reinforce, as vassal levies can do so now.
  • Revolter armies should now scale against max army size of target, instead of current size.
  • Tweaked piety opinion scaling to match vanilla changes. (It matches prestige, as before, but with the opinion nerf.)

Unless requested, I'm not going to put together an intercompatible version for my trait mod, as there was very little interest for it.

Here is the 2.6.2 compatible version of the mod:
Decadence Breakup v4.4

On the subject of inter-mod compatibility, be aware that this mod changes the defines.lua file, so by default is not compatible with other mods that do so. (That said, I don't change that much in that file, so merging shouldn't be too difficult.)

Please let me know if you have any problems or suggestions or whatnot.

Older Version of the OP
I've finally gotten around to updating this for RoI. I've tweaked the breakup rates a bit, and also changed the way that the "Ask a dynasty member to shape up" action works. Now, only the dynasty head and the player can ask other dynasty members to shape up. Also, the flag indicating that they've been asked to shape up should now expire after ten years, so they can eventually be asked again if they relapse. (If you want to get rid of the change to asking decadent dynasty members to shape up, just delete the "decisions" folder in the mod.)

Here's the download: (Note: this is for game version 2.1.6. The version updated for Charlemagne is below.)
Decadence Breakup v3

EDIT = {
Here is a patched version of the above, which should work with 2.2 and the betas through 2.2.0.4 . It does not have the additional features I intend to add for the next release, mainly tying together vassal limit and decadence, but it has all the existing features of the mod.
Decadence Breakup v3.5
}

This spoiler contains the original OP, and the downloads for older versions of the minimod.
The original event's code was:
Code:
# Vassal can declare independence after a successful Decadence invasion
character_event = {
    id = 91240
    desc = EVTDESC91240
    picture = GFX_evt_council_muslim

is_triggered_only = yes

option = {
        name = EVTOPTA91240 # Remain loyal
        ai_chance = {
            factor = 10
            modifier = {
                factor = 10
                trait = content
            }
            modifier = {
                factor = 3
                trait = zealous
                liege = {
                    controls_religion = yes
                    religion = ROOT
                }
            }
        }
    }

option = {
        name = EVTOPTB91240 # Declare independence
        ai_chance = {
            factor = 2
            modifier = {
                factor = 3
                trait = ambitious
            }
            modifier = {
                factor = 20
                in_faction = faction_independence
            }
            modifier = {
                factor = 3
                tier = KING
            }
            modifier = {
                factor = 2
                liege = {
                    NOT = { religion_group = ROOT }
                }
            }
            modifier = {
                factor = 2
                liege = {
                    NOT = { religion = ROOT }
                }
            }
            modifier = {
                factor = 1.5
                liege = {
                    NOT = { culture_group = ROOT }
                }
            }
            modifier = {
                factor = 1.5
                liege = {
                    NOT = { culture = ROOT }
                }
            }
        }
        liege = {
            ROOT = {
                any_demesne_title = {
                    limit = {
                        higher_tier_than = COUNT
                    }
                    add_pressed_claim = PREVPREV
                }
            }
            opinion = {
                modifier = opinion_traitor
                who = ROOT
                months = 240
            }
        }
        set_defacto_liege = ROOT
    }
}

My altered version is:

Code:
# Vassal can declare independence after a successful Decadence invasion
character_event = {
    id = 91240
    desc = EVTDESC91240
    picture = GFX_evt_council_muslim

is_triggered_only = yes

option = {
        name = EVTOPTA91240 # Remain loyal
        ai_chance = {
            factor = 4
            modifier = {
                factor = 5
                AND = {
                    trait = content
#                    opinion = { who = FROM value = 1 }
#                    de_jure_liege = FROM
                }
            }
            modifier = {
                factor = 20
                trait = zealous
                liege = {
                    controls_religion = yes
                    religion = ROOT
                }
            }
            modifier = {
                factor = 5
                de_jure_liege = FROM
                }
            }
        }

option = {
        name = EVTOPTB91240 # Declare independence
        ai_chance = {
            factor = 4
            modifier = {
                factor = 5
                trait = ambitious
            }
            modifier = {
                factor = 25
                in_faction = faction_independence
            }
            modifier = {
                factor = 4
                tier = KING
            }
            modifier = {
                factor = 2
                liege = {
                    NOT = { religion = ROOT }
                }
            }
            modifier = {
                factor = 15
                liege = {
                    NOT = { religion_group = ROOT }
                }
            }
            modifier = {
                factor = 1.5
                liege = {
                    NOT = { culture_group = ROOT }
                }
            }
            modifier = {
                factor = 1.5
                liege = {
                    NOT = { culture = ROOT }
                }
            }
            modifier = {
                factor = 20
                liege = {
                    NOT = { de_jure_liege = FROM }
                }
            }
        }
        liege = {
            ROOT = {
                any_demesne_title = {
                    limit = {
                        higher_tier_than = COUNT
                    }
                    add_weak_pressed_claim = PREVPREV
                }
            }
            opinion = {
                modifier = opinion_traitor
                who = ROOT
                months = 240
            }
        }
        set_defacto_liege = ROOT
    }
}

Here is what one of my test runs looked like:
Before:

Normal after:

Modded after:

Modded, one century later:

Obviously, it won't always come out as nicely as this observer game did, but it can. (Full disclosure: to start things off, I went in as the Umayyad sultan and surrendered to the decadence invasion. I then let events play out freely from there. Badajoz and the counties north and west of it have traded hands between the Christians and the Muslims over the course of the years. Andalusia only took that land back in the last fifteen years or so, when Asturias underwent some nasty rebellions. They had managed to get to Absolute CA, and without the former queen's diplomacy and massive long reign bonus things fell apart.)

Please let me know if you spot anything that I've done wrong, or need to change. This is my first attempt at making a mod, and I hope I've done well.

Download: View attachment Decadence Breakup.zip (Note: This version is bugged, and will cause ALL vassals to declare independence, unless they are imprisoned. This version has been left up by request.)

Edit:

Here is the fixed version of the minimod:
View attachment Decadence Breakup v 2.zip

I've fixed the bug I mentioned earlier, along with some ROOT/FROM errors, and also tweaked some of the modifiers for loyalty/independence. You can see the code for this version earlier in this post, as it has replaced the code for the bugged version in the spoiler. I think I have gotten all the FROMs and stuff correct this time.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Nice, I like this. If you don't mind, I'm thinking of integrating this into VIET. I might not end up integrating it if it messes with VIET's established balance, but I don't think that would be the case so I'll probably end up integrating it anyways; I thought I'd ask first. :)

Nice, I like this. If you don't mind, I'm thinking of integrating this into VIET. I might not end up integrating it if it messes with VIET's established balance, but I don't think that would be the case so I'll probably end up integrating it anyways; I thought I'd ask first. :)
Oh, nice, thanks! If you think it works well with VIET, go right ahead.

Let me know how it turns out?

Looks good, I'll incorporate it into my mod, with permission of course.

Go right ahead, both of you. :)

If you wouldn't mind crediting me, and linking back to this thread though, it would be most appreciated.

Let me know how it turns out?

Last edited:
So, from what I can hear here, the Muslim states will with this mod, more often dissolve into minor states, when the decadence gets too high and the ruler gets overthrown... Is that correct understood?

So, from what I can hear here, the Muslim states will with this mod, more often dissolve into minor states, when the decadence gets too high and the ruler gets overthrown... Is that correct understood?
Yes. If you look at the 'modded after' screenshot in the first post, you'll note there are a lot of small realms that have broken off from the big one that is present in the before screenshot. Those realms are fully independent. Not rebelling, fully independent.

Also, looking over the code again, I think I noticed a rather embarrassing mistake that I wish I had caught sooner. I'll be doing some testing and poking around with it tonight, and I should have an corrected version uploaded soon after.

Yes. If you look at the 'modded after' screenshot in the first post, you'll note there are a lot of small realms that have broken off from the big one that is present in the before screenshot. Those realms are fully independent. Not rebelling, fully independent.

Also, looking over the code again, I think I noticed a rather embarrassing mistake that I wish I had caught sooner. I'll be doing some testing and poking around with it tonight, and I should have an corrected version uploaded soon after.

What was the mistake?

Anyway, I would like to thank you, here is a screenshot, unfortunately I had none from before, but the Caliph had all the Arabian Empire, some Andalusia, Mesopotamia, Armenia and Anatolia, even after 2 decadence revolts it changed nothing, after I installed your mod this happened: http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/579000050617168003/493BACA5C24FE537382E0DC17155344F4F1320E9/

What was the mistake?
I think I conflated some stuff from Python syntax (or something, not quite sure why I did what I did now), resulting in both options that are presented resulting in independence. Like I said, embarrassing. It shouldn't be difficult at all to fix, but I want to run a few test runs, and see if I need to change any modifiers, as I likely didn't have it properly balanced when I made the mistake.

Personally, I still prefer the version with the error to vanilla, though. :p
The option to stay a vassal should still be available, though.

Edit:
Odds the ERE takes a lot of those realms?
From the tests and games I've played with the bugged version of the mod, the nearby Christian realms often seem to have trouble taking the land right after the breakup, thanks to the web of alliances that was formed when they were all under the same liege, and from most of them jumping in even without that to help defend in the holy war. It is only once the big Muslim nation has managed to start blobbing up that the Christians start making gains, as there are less rulers around that can jump in to help.

Last edited:
I think I conflated some stuff from Python syntax (or something, not quite sure why I did what I did now), resulting in both options that are presented resulting in independence. Like I said, embarrassing. It shouldn't be difficult at all to fix, but I want to run a few test runs, and see if I need to change any modifiers, as I likely didn't have it properly balanced when I made the mistake.

Personally, I still prefer the version with the error to vanilla, though. :p
The option to stay a vassal should still be available, though.

Edit:

From the tests and games I've played with the bugged version of the mod, the nearby Christian realms often seem to have trouble taking the land right after the breakup, thanks to the web of alliances that was formed when they were all under the same liege, and from most of them jumping in even without that to help defend in the holy war. It is only once the big Muslim nation has managed to start blobbing up that the Christians start making gains, as there are less rulers around that can jump in to help.

Interesting, that is why everybody became independent in my screenshot, I think you should offer in the download both versions!

And yes, the ERE actually didn't take much land, just a few counties, in 30 years since the screenshot.

Interesting, that is why everybody became independent in my screenshot, I think you should offer in the download both versions!

And yes, the ERE actually didn't take much land, just a few counties, in 30 years since the screenshot.
I'll leave the old version up for download, but I don't think I can combine them somehow.

The fixed version should be added to the OP a few minutes after this post. I fixed the bug, and tweaked some of the modifiers, so now the question of who might stay loyal is slightly more up in the air. In my tests, I had the same exact Emir swapping between staying loyal or declaring for independence, while most of the others that had modifiers toward leaning one way or the other remained predictable, with most going independent.

Last edited: