• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Voting is closed.

The extension of the war taxes passes, 62 votes to 38. The new industrial plan also passes, 38 votes to 19, with the New Society abstaining.

I will play tonight and, depending on my energy levels, update as well. I'm going to leave the elections as they are, and just hope that the AI sorts out a more regular schedule. While you wait, please sort out your party leaders, as it will make the coalitions progress much smoother.

((Constitutional amendments are after elections, truth?

UAI: I propose change to pro-military for our party. Only one has answered in our forum so perhaps people does not know of the voting))

((Constitutional amendments are after elections, truth?

UAI: I propose change to pro-military for our party. Only one has answered in our forum so perhaps people does not know of the voting))

((Yes, they would occur after the elections, but possibly before the coalitions are formed.))

URGENT NEWS BULLETIN:

22 May 1849

The German News Reporting Agency reports that Transylvania, the long ally of the German people, has been ruthlessly attacked, without provocation, by Hungary. Hungary, as we all know, recently absorbed what they called their "breakaway provinces" in Crete as the result of a revolution there.

The Transylvanian government is asking for our help against this senseless aggression. What say you, Assemblymen and Stadtholders? Shall we answer the call to arms?

((Hungary has no allies. I don't know what war goal we'd want to pursue -- if any -- but that's up to you guys. :) 48 hours to vote!

Incidentally, no party platform changes this election -- you can't wait until the last minute and tell me you're looking for one. In the future, let's make platform changes in off-cycle years.))

EDIT: To clarify -- the Foreign Minister will first propose what war goals to add, if any. Then, everyone votes.))

I vote Yes

Dear von Bern,

I imagine you are so upset as me with the recent attack of Hungary against one of our oldest allies.

I send you this letter to suggest a heavy punishment against them and their leaders, taking some provinces or even full annexing them.

A clear message of firmness must be send to the world. It must be clear that we defend our allies without doubt nor a moment.

Miguel de la Rosa Picard
Minister of Education

((Just in case, I vote Yes to go to war))

War to punish Hungary for being Magyar upstarts who should have known better than to think they could pick on the Empire's friends and allies without being squashed like bugs: Yes

Adolf von Arnim-Boitzenburg
Conclave, Proud Imperialist

((Just so you all know -- since you are voting before any sort of FM plan was posted, I am assuming this is a blanket "yes", for all cases. You do have the freedom to change your vote should they make some other plan you don't agree with.))

Nay we are setting a bad example. How are we to dominate our neighbours if we will soon have no neighbours left?

Yes, we must act at once! Some might claim that this war might serve to further German expansion, but it is our ally Transylvania that is being victimized. If we do not defend our allies from aggressive acts by other states, then the German nation has fallen into a pitiful state.

My countrymen,

Our ally, Transylvania has been attacked by the vile Hungarian beast. Now I ask of everyone here, those from the Conclave and those from the Assembly why are we allies with Transylvania? Why have we pursued a mutual protection pact? So that we can let them be taken over by what the Hungarians call "the uprising empire"?
This will simply not stand. I call for everyone here make their voice heard and move to protect our allies. Would we be allies at all if we refused to do so?

Chancellor von Bern,

I agree that we must protect our allies. Our honor is at stake. The war will be easy, of course. But I would like to know if we have any particular plans for the peace?

-Paul Meier, Stadtholder of Innsbruck and Head of the State Planning Commission

(( what are our war goals. Also, count this as a yes ))

My countrymen,

Our ally, Transylvania has been attacked by the vile Hungarian beast. Now I ask of everyone here, those from the Conclave and those from the Assembly why are we allies with Transylvania? Why have we pursued a mutual protection pact? So that we can let them be taken over by what the Hungarians call "the uprising empire"?
This will simply not stand. I call for everyone here make their voice heard and move to protect our allies. Would we be allies at all if we refused to do so?

We should have never been allies in the first place. This is just another imperial misadventure.

We should have never been allies in the first place. This is just another imperial misadventure.

Never have been allies? So you're basically saying we should let Germany be diplomatically isolated and then eventually brought down by aggressive foreign powers?

((Transylvania is in our sphere, which is why we got called. Just in case you need the clarification. :)))

Abstain on war with Hungary. The Alliance's policy is against war, but this sort of thing is not really on, what with Transylvania being under our protection. I won't oppose the Government taking whatever steps it feels are necessary. That said, we should try and keep it to a minimum, fight them off and make peace with as few casualties as we can.

((Party leaders and potential Chancellor candidates. Of the Alliance members, and I do apologise for any errors:

• Henrik Bartolomeus van Adrians -- Firehound15 -- last posted to forums Feb 22, probably inactive.
  • Domenico Bonaro -- Morosaurus -- Feb 28, ditto.
  • Christian Peymann -- Damerell -- woefully sporadic activity. Born in Republic.
  • Giovanni Centianio -- Plutonium95 -- Feb 23. Born in the Republic.
  • Gumpert Nimirz -- ThaHoward -- Joined Jan 21, no posts to thread since. Born in the Republic.
  • Rhyer van Hill -- shal5 -- Last post to Sonderweg Jan 8. Not born in the Republic.
  • Carlo Brunelli -- Andre Massena -- Active. Not born in the Republic.
  • Gerrit Aldo Servatius van Kloetinge -- DensleyBlair -- Very recently joined. Born in the Republic.

No criticism of less active players is intended - it would be pretty hypocritical given my own sporadic posting. This list has been amended, but the error below was IC and stands.))

I propose Stadtholder Centiano as our party leader, as one of the senior men in the Alliance, one who I have always looked up to. We need a man who remembers how the Republic came to be, but - with all due respect to my late uncle Joachim - is still full of vigour to lead us, a man who should be Chancellor one day.

Last edited: