• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Some of the rulers were already known to me (it's easy to look up the various pretenders and the big kingdoms), and some of them happen to die before 936, but they will probably be useful
Yeah, I only gave a bit more info about successors, when it wasn't easily accessible in English (i.e. first page of Wikipedia). And I figured that you will want to do research on your own anyway, so I didn't want to waste too much time on it.
As for being literate in Chinese, I'm not, and I don't know about the rest of the team, so anything that's not transliterated (or translated, if it is a big block of text) isn't necessarily useful.
Feel free to ask then.

India looks rather too small and off-scale though. The peninsula part needs to be larger/longer than it is.

That has to do with the rather weird map projection we have, which is partially due to vanilla having a weird map projection. Considering how much work it would be to move to a new map projection and that nobody on the team is great at graphical modding (and a new map would require a ton of that), we're not planning on changing it.

Vanilla has some issue with the projection added in ROI that makes anything north of Xia far too north compared to Europe.

That has to do with the rather weird map projection we have, which is partially due to vanilla having a weird map projection. Considering how much work it would be to move to a new map projection and that nobody on the team is great at graphical modding (and a new map would require a ton of that), we're not planning on changing it.

That's fair. As long as it is functional and playable, nothing wrong with that.

can you take over the mandate?

If you are a Chinese Imperial emperor-tier ruler, you're claiming to possess the Mandate (unless it is disabled with the relevant game rule), with the ruler of China itself having an easier time having a good Mandate rating. If you take over China as a ruler with an appropriate religion and an appropriate culture, you automatically become Chinese Imperial and thus will be claiming to possess the Mandate.

Outside of starting as China (Song in 1066; we're not currently supporting the start dates where the Tang or the Yuan are in charge) or taking over China (or playing as Jin or (early) Yuan during some currently unsupported start dates), you can only become Chinese Imperial using the JD decision for it, though we plan to add special decisions for the Jurchen and the Mongols that probably won't be JD-exclusive since they historically created pretender empires (and maybe the Liao and Xia, though vanilla's treatment of them will be used until further notice). When we add support for more start dates, various would-be emperors of China in 936 will also start out as Chinese Imperial (excepting the Liao, as they're nomadic; they still get a pretender bloodline, which makes it a bit easier for them to create a pretender empire if they become feudal), and we might add special decisions for some/all of the realms in China that weren't ruled by an emperor in 936 to throw their proverbial hats in the proverbial ring.

A question about mandate of heaven. If the current empreror loses it, is there any chance for the empire to split as it did many times in history (e.g. Han and Tang dynasties)? If not, are you planning to add such feature?

If you are a Chinese Imperial emperor-tier ruler, you're claiming to possess the Mandate (unless it is disabled with the relevant game rule), with the ruler of China itself having an easier time having a good Mandate rating. If you take over China as a ruler with an appropriate religion and an appropriate culture, you automatically become Chinese Imperial and thus will be claiming to possess the Mandate.

Outside of starting as China (Song in 1066; we're not currently supporting the start dates where the Tang or the Yuan are in charge) or taking over China (or playing as Jin or (early) Yuan during some currently unsupported start dates), you can only become Chinese Imperial using the JD decision for it, though we plan to add special decisions for the Jurchen and the Mongols that probably won't be JD-exclusive since they historically created pretender empires (and maybe the Liao and Xia, though vanilla's treatment of them will be used until further notice). When we add support for more start dates, various would-be emperors of China in 936 will also start out as Chinese Imperial (excepting the Liao, as they're nomadic; they still get a pretender bloodline, which makes it a bit easier for them to create a pretender empire if they become feudal), and we might add special decisions for some/all of the realms in China that weren't ruled by an emperor in 936 to throw their proverbial hats in the proverbial ring.

Oh I must play on 1066? I will retry the mod then, thank you!
What counts as appropiate culture? could i take it as a Mongol?

Oh I must play on 1066? I will retry the mod then, thank you!
What counts as appropiate culture? could i take it as a Mongol?

Unless you toggle the game rule letting all cultures be Chinese Imperial, the following cultures can be Chinese Imperial:
- The Chinese culture group (Han, Yue, Bai, Nakhi, Min, Yi, Qiang, Tujia, and She; the only culture that has playable rulers present at the start is Han).
- Khitan culture.
- Jurchen culture.
- Mongol culture.
- Kaifeng culture (not present in the game at this point).
- Japanese culture.
- Yamato culture (not present in 1066).
- Ryukyuan culture.
- The Koreanic culture group (Korean and Jeju).
- Viet culture.

Additionally, your religion needs to be one of the following:
- Taoist.
- Buddhist.
- Unreformed Shenist, Muist, or Thanist (there currently are no playable Shenist or Thanist rulers).
- HF-Reformed Shenist, Muist, Thanist, or Ryukyuan with the following picks: Cosmopolitan, Autonomous, Stability + Meritocracy OR Sons of Heaven (Shenist unique) + Stability OR Spiritual Wisdom (Muist unique) + Stability OR Confucian Principles (Shenist/Muist/Thainist/Ryukyuan only) without any of the following picks: Divine Marriage, Polygamy, Agnatic Clans, Enatic Clans, Bloodthirsty Gods, Daring, Sea-Bound, Unrelenting, Ancestor Veneration, The Three Mountains (Ryukyuan Unique), Children of the Seas (Ryukyuan unique), and Meritorious Ancestors (Thanist unique).

Downloaded the newest version and Song is just a regular feudal government. Did I just install it wrong?

Since nobody else has reported that issue and there's been quite a few downloads, signs point to "Yes". Disable any other mods you might have active, delete any previous version of Tianxia you have, and download it again.

Can I ask what it will be meant to represent?

The Kaifeng Jews, based on the fact that the culture is in the Israelite group. I suspect (since it was added before I joined the team) that the plan was to add some new "A potential Jewish chancellor/steward/etc. appeared!" events, but it hasn't been done yet, and I don't know what (if anything) will be done with the culture in the future.

Speaking of culture, now that you've got access to the mod, are there any cultures (that wouldn't be in the vanilla parts of the map) that you feel are missing (check the culture files as some might not show up on the map in the Stamford Bridge start)?

If you can think of some and can provide a list of names (if the culture can't be found on on this list) and dynasty names/surnames as well as roughly which provinces (we'll probably not add a bunch of cultures that only show up in one or two provinces) the culture should be in (and which starts, if it only should be there some of the time) and which culture group it should belong to, it is possible that we might add the culture in question (particularly if you also can tell us of some important historical characters that would belong to the culture), and with the history files being overhauled it would be a good time for such additions.

Likewise, if you feel that the Stamford Bridge province culture (or religion) setup is wrong somewhere, please bug report it with information about which culture should be used instead.

The Kaifeng Jews, based on the fact that the culture is in the Israelite group. I suspect (since it was added before I joined the team) that the plan was to add some new "A potential Jewish chancellor/steward/etc. appeared!" events, but it hasn't been done yet, and I don't know what (if anything) will be done with the culture in the future.

I'm not a super great modder, but after taking a look at the code I think it could be as simple as adding a slightly edited version of the "Jewish counselor shows up at your court" event that changes the NOT = { capital_scope = region = world_west_iberia }

For example, here's the event for the Jewish diplomat of Ashkenazi culture appearing at your court. This is the one that fires for anyone that does NOT have their capital in western Iberia.

Code:
# Jewish Diplomat Appears at Court (Ashkenazi)
character_event = {
    id = SoA.200
    desc = EVTDESC_SoA_200
    picture = GFX_evt_emissary
    border = GFX_event_normal_frame_religion

min_age = 16
    prisoner = no
    only_playable = yes
    capable_only = yes
    only_independent = yes

trigger = {
        has_dlc = "Sons of Abraham"
        OR = {
            religion_group = christian
            religion_group = muslim
            religion_group = zoroastrian_group
            religion_group = jewish_group
            culture = khazar
            culture = han
        }
        NOT = {
            capital_scope = {
                region = world_europe_west_iberia # THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART
            }
        }
        NOT = { has_character_modifier = expelled_jewish }
        NOT = { trait = incapable }
        NOT = { is_inaccessible_trigger = yes }
    }

mean_time_to_happen = {
        months = 1100
    }

immediate = {
        create_character = {
            random_traits = yes
            culture = ashkenazi
            dynasty = culture
            religion = jewish
            female = no
            age = 30
            trait = charismatic_negotiator
            attributes = {
                diplomacy = 10
            }
            flag = ai_flag_refuse_conversion
        }
        new_character = {
            remove_trait = socializer
            remove_trait = gamer
            remove_trait = hedonist
            remove_trait = duelist
            remove_trait = hunter
            remove_trait = strategist
            remove_trait = administrator
            remove_trait = architect
            remove_trait = gardener
            remove_trait = schemer
            remove_trait = impaler
            remove_trait = seductress
            remove_trait = scholar
            remove_trait = theologian
            remove_trait = mystic
            random_list = {
                70 = {
                    add_trait = socializer
                }
                30 = {
                    add_trait = socializer
                    add_trait = shrewd
                }
            }
            save_event_target_as = jewish_courtier
        }
    }

option = {
        name = EVTOPTA_SoA_200
        custom_tooltip = {
            text = jewish_courtier_tooltip
        }
    }
}

and here's the event for the Jewish diplomat of Sephardi culture appearing at your court. This is the one that fires for anyone that DOES have their capital in western Iberia.

Code:
# Jewish Diplomat Appears at Court (Sephardi)
character_event = {
    id = SoA.203
    desc = EVTDESC_SoA_200

min_age = 16
    prisoner = no
    only_playable = yes
    capable_only = yes
    only_independent = yes

trigger = {
        capital_scope = {
        }
        OR = {
            religion_group = muslim
            culture = khazar
            culture = han
        }
        NOT = {
            has_character_modifier = expelled_jewish
            trait = incapable
        }
    }

mean_time_to_happen = {
        months = 750
    }

immediate = {
        create_character = {
            random_traits = yes
            culture = sephardi
            dynasty = culture
            religion = jewish
            female = no
            age = 30
            attributes = {
                diplomacy = 10
            }
        }
        new_character = {
            remove_trait = gamer
            remove_trait = hedonist
            remove_trait = duelist
            remove_trait = hunter
            remove_trait = architect
            remove_trait = gardener
            remove_trait = schemer
            remove_trait = impaler
            remove_trait = scholar
            remove_trait = mystic
            random_list = {
                70 = {
                    add_trait = socializer
                }
                30 = {
                    add_trait = socializer
                    add_trait = shrewd
                }
            }
        }
    }

option = {
        name = EVTOPTA_SoA_200
        custom_tooltip = {
        }
    }
}

The biggest issue I could see is that it would require overwriting the soa_jewish_events.txt file because the way the event currently works is that anything that's in the west Ibera region will have a Jewish character with the Sephardi culture, and everyone outside of that region has a Jewish character with the Ashkenazi culture spawn in. As a result you'd need to change the Ashkenazi spawn conditions so that it wouldn't spawn Ashkenazi jews where Kaifeng Jews would spawn. However, the number of mods that aren't giant overhauls that change this file is so small I can't think of a single one.

It would be annoying as you have to add in three new events for diplomat, administrator, and spy, but when you get the first version of the Kaifeng Jew joins event done the rest should be a cakewalk as it's 99% copy and paste.

I'll try seeing if I can cook up a version of this for east Asia. I figure everything east of the westmost point of the Tarim Basin would be more likely to have a Kaifeng Jew show up in the court than an Ashkenazi.

Should the Kaifeng culture have access to castration like Han Chinese? I think it's kinda good as it is right now as they can build Radhanite trade quarters which (in my opinion) is far more useful than castration.

Last edited:
I'm not a super great modder, but after taking a look at the code I think it could be as simple as adding a slightly edited version of the "Jewish counselor shows up at your court" event that changes the NOT = { capital_scope = region = world_west_iberia }

For example, here's the event for the Jewish diplomat of Ashkenazi culture appearing at your court. This is the one that fires for anyone that does NOT have their capital in western Iberia.

Code:
# Jewish Diplomat Appears at Court (Ashkenazi)
character_event = {
    id = SoA.200
    desc = EVTDESC_SoA_200

min_age = 16
    prisoner = no
    only_playable = yes
    capable_only = yes
    only_independent = yes

trigger = {
        OR = {
            religion_group = muslim
            culture = khazar
            culture = han
        }
        NOT = {
            capital_scope = {
            }
        }
        NOT = { has_character_modifier = expelled_jewish }
        NOT = { trait = incapable }
    }

mean_time_to_happen = {
        months = 1100
    }

immediate = {
        create_character = {
            random_traits = yes
            culture = ashkenazi
            dynasty = culture
            religion = jewish
            female = no
            age = 30
            attributes = {
                diplomacy = 10
            }
        }
        new_character = {
            remove_trait = gamer
            remove_trait = hedonist
            remove_trait = duelist
            remove_trait = hunter
            remove_trait = architect
            remove_trait = gardener
            remove_trait = schemer
            remove_trait = impaler
            remove_trait = scholar
            remove_trait = mystic
            random_list = {
                70 = {
                    add_trait = socializer
                }
                30 = {
                    add_trait = socializer
                    add_trait = shrewd
                }
            }
        }
    }

option = {
        name = EVTOPTA_SoA_200
        custom_tooltip = {
        }
    }
}

and here's the event for the Jewish diplomat of Sephardi culture appearing at your court. This is the one that fires for anyone that DOES have their capital in western Iberia.

Code:
# Jewish Diplomat Appears at Court (Sephardi)
character_event = {
    id = SoA.203
    desc = EVTDESC_SoA_200

min_age = 16
    prisoner = no
    only_playable = yes
    capable_only = yes
    only_independent = yes

trigger = {
        capital_scope = {
        }
        OR = {
            religion_group = muslim
            culture = khazar
            culture = han
        }
        NOT = {
            has_character_modifier = expelled_jewish
            trait = incapable
        }
    }

mean_time_to_happen = {
        months = 750
    }

immediate = {
        create_character = {
            random_traits = yes
            culture = sephardi
            dynasty = culture
            religion = jewish
            female = no
            age = 30
            attributes = {
                diplomacy = 10
            }
        }
        new_character = {
            remove_trait = gamer
            remove_trait = hedonist
            remove_trait = duelist
            remove_trait = hunter
            remove_trait = architect
            remove_trait = gardener
            remove_trait = schemer
            remove_trait = impaler
            remove_trait = scholar
            remove_trait = mystic
            random_list = {
                70 = {
                    add_trait = socializer
                }
                30 = {
                    add_trait = socializer
                    add_trait = shrewd
                }
            }
        }
    }

option = {
        name = EVTOPTA_SoA_200
        custom_tooltip = {
        }
    }
}

The biggest issue I could see is that it would require overwriting the soa_jewish_events.txt file because the way the event currently works is that anything that's in the west Ibera region will have a Jewish character with the Sephardi culture, and everyone outside of that region has a Jewish character with the Ashkenazi culture spawn in. As a result you'd need to change the Ashkenazi spawn conditions so that it wouldn't spawn Ashkenazi jews where Kaifeng Jews would spawn. However, the number of mods that aren't giant overhauls that change this file is so small I can't think of a single one.

It would be annoying as you have to add in three new events for diplomat, administrator, and spy, but when you get the first version of the Kaifeng Jew joins event done the rest should be a cakewalk as it's 99% copy and paste.

I'll try seeing if I can cook up a version of this for east Asia. I figure everything east of the westmost point of the Tarim Basin would be more likely to have a Kaifeng Jew show up in the court than an Ashkenazi.

Should the Kaifeng culture have access to castration like Han Chinese? I think it's kinda good as it is right now as they can build Radhanite trade quarters which (in my opinion) is far more useful than castration.

It would be fairly straightforward to add copies of the relevant events and to make a few tweaks to the relevant vanilla events, and it might get done as part of either 6.0.1 or 6.1.0, though it is possible that it will be postponed or that we'll decide to do something different.

As for having to add a few lines to a vanilla file, take a look at just how many event (and decision) files we've already made some tweaks to (mostly due to the Grace system and references to offmap China). One more wouldn't really be noticeable...

Deuteronomy and the Talmud forbid castration, so I think the current setup is fine.

nd

Okay, so I whipped this up. Sorry it took so long, my sleep cycle is a mess. Here it is:
2E3E842060D4350CE2CF8CE2C937EF9F24EC9B71
DD555092C8718CEF0D61818D54246529EDF9084E

The spawn conditions (outside of the capital location) are copy and pasted from the vanilla events. The conditions could probably be changed up some but I'll leave that up to you if you want to use this.

I imagine the most historically accurate version would be to have it so that it will fire for A. any culture in the Chinese culture subgroup (currently the event only fires for the Han culture in the Chinese group) B. anyone who holds the Empire of China.

From a gameplay perspective, it would probably be fine to just have it fire for anyone who's in the new regions added by tianxia. Because seeing a Chinese jew would be less strange than a European one (Then again, I've heard those Radhanite merchants were everywhere so I don't know)

So the way the events are set up is that any province that was added by tianxia will spawn a Kaifeng Jew. realistically I'd imagine that anything east of the westmost point of the Tarim Basin would be far more likely to be a Kaifeng Jew than the other two Jewish cultures. There's definitely some redundant overlap with the spawn conditions but I just copy and pasted the names of the regions added by the mod.

The Jewish steward and Jewish spy events share localization with the regular events as they fit without needing to be changed. However, the diplomat one has new localization that's a slight edit of the vanilla one because the event specifies that he was fleeing persecution in Europe.

Attachments

• soa_jewish_events.txt
    33,9 KB · Views: 6
  • tianxia_jewish_events_localisation.csv
    209 bytes · Views: 3
Last edited:
Okay, so I whipped this up. Sorry it took so long, my sleep cycle is a mess. Here it is:
2E3E842060D4350CE2CF8CE2C937EF9F24EC9B71
DD555092C8718CEF0D61818D54246529EDF9084E

The spawn conditions (outside of the capital location) are copy and pasted from the vanilla events. The conditions could probably be changed up some but I'll leave that up to you if you want to use this.

I imagine the most historically accurate version would be to have it so that it will fire for A. any culture in the Chinese culture subgroup (currently the event only fires for the Han culture in the Chinese group) B. anyone who holds the Empire of China.

From a gameplay perspective, it would probably be fine to just have it fire for anyone who's in the new regions added by tianxia. Because seeing a Chinese jew would be less strange than a European one (Then again, I've heard those Radhanite merchants were everywhere so I don't know)

So the way the events are set up is that any province that was added by tianxia will spawn a Kaifeng Jew. realistically I'd imagine that anything east of the westmost point of the Tarim Basin would be far more likely to be a Kaifeng Jew than the other two Jewish cultures. There's definitely some redundant overlap with the spawn conditions but I just copy and pasted the names of the regions added by the mod.

The Jewish steward and Jewish spy events share localization with the regular events as they fit without needing to be changed. However, the diplomat one has new localization that's a slight edit of the vanilla one because the event specifies that he was fleeing persecution in Europe.

At a glance, the events should be usable with some slight tweaks to the trigger. Thanks!