• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Warial

監修五代史
74 Badges
Sep 27, 2009
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Sengoku
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Surviving Mars
  • Victoria 2
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • PDXCon 2017 Awards Winner
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
Comprehensive Annals of Five Dynasties - 五代通志

So, making use of the expanded SWMH map provided by @mechl and employing the historical records, I populated the formerly empty land with characters and provinces appropriate for this period. I always wanted in the game, but the problem with Tianxia and Umbra Spherae before was that while the Far East was great, the rest of the map was left completely vanilla. That is, for me it's impossible to play CK2 without SWMH, so I decided to alleviate this issue myself.

However, this is not just Tianxia stiched to SWMH and called a submod. Since May 2019 I've been going through 資治通鑑, 新唐書, 舊五代史 and adding every Jiedushi and Cishi recorded there into the game. No placeholders characters were added to China at all, every single landed character is historically attested (sometimes it's just one mention, but that's still better than nothing) to hold the position in question. The only semi-fictional characters present appear in cases when someone is called a grandson or nephew of some other guy, but the immediate ancestry is unknown. In those cases I added unattested characters or invented links that are possible, but cannot be proven. Fictional characters were added in Mongolia and Manchuria in areas where records are poor on non-existent.

The province setup is based on the administrative divisions of 5 Dynasties and Song periods to keep consistency with records of the period as much as possible, but details are still subject to change. 200 provinces have been added In China, but I expect the full map to have as many as 400 and that's not counting the provinces added by Mechl in India and Tibet. So, don't expect this to be a lightweight mod, some lag is to be expected.

Download Link:
Google Drive - Version 1.0.5, 01.09.2020
Steam Workshop

Google Drive - Version 1.0.4, 10.08.2020
Google Drive - Version 1.0.3, 04.08.2020
Google Drive - Version 1.0.2, 20.07.2020
Google Drive - Version 1.0.1, 11.07.2020
Google Drive - Version 1.0, 05.07.2020
Google Drive - Version 0.9.2, 16.05.2020 - Bugfix

Google Drive - Version 0.9.1, 21.03.2020 - Frosty2 compatibility patch
Google Drive - Version 0.9, 26.01.2020 - Initial release (Checksum YEAB)

Requirements:
- Game patched to 3.3.0 or later
- SWMH, EMF, ARKOpack Armoiries installed (Frosty3)

Current features:
- Expanded map to encompass the entirety of China, Vietnam, Mongolia and Manchuria
- Full coverage of the timeline 867.1.1-960.2.4 for the area in question.*I won't be touching the original SWMH map, any possible inaccuracies or lacunas in province ownership won't be resolved by this submod.
- Updated and exhaustive family trees of characters present in the mod, as far as sources are available.
- New government type - Bureaucratic Government for China, which has cities as primary holdings
- Baronies based on the historical counties (Xian, 縣) as recorded in the New Book of Tang (新唐書), History of Song (宋史) and History of Liao (遼史).
- Tangut transcription of Chinese counties and baronies for Xi Xia, based on the simplified notation by Marc Miyake (subject to be expanded to cover all China in the future).

Planned next steps:
- Addition of Korea and Southeast Asian states
- Further addition of characters from 舊唐書, 新唐書, 舊五代史, 新五代史, 十國春秋, 九國志 and other sources I can find.
- Expansion of the covered timeline into Song period and later (version ??)

Screenshots:
X0Rm00V.jpg

k6S85hp.jpg

uTTwx0w.jpg

paMNo6x.jpg

fNOMRDP.jpg

pnxhqBo.jpg

yFP6pWJ.jpg

iyyibwS.jpg

gvBQ3eW.jpg

LVLQkvV.jpg

Special thanks to:
- @mechl for his Expanded Map Edit
- @LumberKing and other members of Tianxia team for the original map of East Asia

Attachments

• Wudai_Expanded_Trade.7z
    29,8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 17Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
Looks good! Why no japan in v2 tho?
Performance reasons and relative lack of importance. Apart from trade the only important events Japan took part in during the period were the Mongol invasion. I just feel it doesn't deserve the effort it would entail to do it right.
Looks cool Warial, you certainly work fast.

I look forward to your progress
Well, for now I'm stuck with the crash on selecting the marriage button on the character screen. I don't suppose you guys ever had it happen before?

• 1Like
Reactions:
aw, hopefully it can be a thing in a later update then

The main issue tends to be performance. The game starts to really lag once you get around ~250+ provinces from where my submod is currently at and to properly add China and the Steppe will easily take up all that. Tianxia has more provinces by around 600 but it doesn't have something like EMF running at the same time and EMF is the main reason for the degrading performance due to how much it does (and I'm thankful for all it adds).

Last edited:
Dev Diary #1 Xiao Clan of Lanling (蘭陵蕭)

Truth be to told, I've been working on this submod for quite some time already. I believe it began in earnest in May or June and I must say, I'm still far from done. You see, my original plan was to release 936 bookmark first and if I kept to that plan, I would be ready for release during the summer. However, as I started adding characters i found out that Later Tang Li clan if related by marriage to Meng clan of Later Shu, so immediatelly I needed to do Later Shu next, then I had found that Jiedushi under Shu also had links to other clans, so I had to keep adding them. And at one point I gave up and just started adding character from 867 onwards. And that opened another can of worms...

J6IAro0.png

In 867 Zhengzhou (鄭州) is under governorship of Jiedushi of Yicheng (義成軍節度使) Xiao Fang (蕭倣, 796-875). As many already know, Chinese have quite limited supply of surnames and so it's not uncommon for Emperor to share surname with millions of commoners who have no relation to him. In Tang era bookmarks though, it is common for the Jiedushi to be linked to major aristocratic families of period. Xiao clan of Lanling is one such clan. Xiao Fang immediate family was already prominent, his great-grandfather, grandfather, and he himself all served a period as Chancellors of the realm.
8azgSUp.jpg

His granfather, Xiao Hua (蕭華), served even as a Jiedushi of Hezhong (河中節度使) between 759 and 761.

In 867 another prominent Lanling Xiao, a distant cousin of Fang, Xiao Ye (蕭鄴, d. 874), rules in Sichuan as the Jiedushi of Western Shannan (山南西道節度使).
bPnb8Yf.jpg

But do you guys know what else makes those two characters so prominent? They both are scions of Southern Liang Imperial family.

6sBqxml.jpg

Xiao Fang is a 7th-generation descendant of Emperor Shizong of Western Liang (a successor state to Southern Liang). Which means to have proper representation of the clan I need to also include the Emperor of Western and Southern Liang in game and whole their families while I'm at it (thankfully the family tree of their descendants in 新唐書 is not that big). But that's not all! Were you guys aware that Emperor Gaozu of Southern Liang was a distant cousing of Emperor Taizu of Southern Qi?!

UFl3YwV.jpg

So, at this point I had to add yet another dynasty to the roster and dozens of characters more. And of course that's not all as Liang and Qi also had marriage relations with other clans, like the Yang clan of Hongnong...

E7f15az.jpg

So, essentially it's a never ending story... just to have have two characters at the game start represented properly. Well, for players who like to RP I guess it's a wonderful character choice, especially once I add the lands which Southern Liang to the mod.

In the meantime the player will have at least a bloodline to add to the collection.
j2rIqrB.jpg

The localisation is WIP.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:

Truth be to told, I've been working on this submod for quite some time already. I believe it began in earnest in May or June and I must say, I'm still far from done. You see, my original plan was to release 936 bookmark first and if I kept to that plan, I would be ready for release during the summer. However, as I started adding characters i found out that Later Tang Li clan if related by marriage to Meng clan of Later Shu, so immediatelly I needed to do Later Shu next, then I had found that Jiedushi under Shu also had links to other clans, so I had to keep adding them. And at one point I gave up and just started adding character from 867 onwards. And that opened another can of worms...

J6IAro0.png

In 867 Zhengzhou (鄭州) is under governorship of Jiedushi of Yicheng (義成軍節度使) Xiao Fang (蕭倣, 796-875). As many already know, Chinese have quite limited supply of surnames and so it's not uncommon for Emperor to share surname with millions of commoners who have no relation to him. In Tang era bookmarks though, it is common for the Jiedushi to be linked to major aristocratic families of period. Xiao clan of Lanling is one such clan. Xiao Fang immediate family was already prominent, his great-grandfather, grandfather, and he himself all served a period as Chancellors of the realm.
8azgSUp.jpg

His granfather, Xiao Hua (蕭華), served even as a Jiedushi of Hezhong (河中節度使) between 759 and 761.

In 867 another prominent Lanling Xiao, a distant cousin of Fang, Xiao Ye (蕭鄴, d. 874), rules in Sichuan as the Jiedushi of Western Shannan (山南西道節度使).
bPnb8Yf.jpg

But do you guys know what else makes those two characters so prominent? They both are scions of Southern Liang Imperial family.

6sBqxml.jpg

Xiao Fang is a 7th-generation descendant of Emperor Shizong of Western Liang (a successor state to Southern Liang). Which means to have proper representation of the clan I need to also include the Emperor of Western and Southern Liang in game and whole their families while I'm at it (thankfully the family tree of their descendants in 新唐書 is not that big). But that's not all! Were you guys aware that Emperor Gaozu of Southern Liang was a distant cousing of Emperor Taizu of Southern Qi?!

UFl3YwV.jpg

So, at this point I had to add yet another dynasty to the roster and dozens of characters more. And of course that's not all as Liang and Qi also had marriage relations with other clans, like the Yang clan of Hongnong...

E7f15az.jpg

So, essentially it's a never ending story... just to have have two characters at the game start represented properly. Well, for players who like to RP I guess it's a wonderful character choice, especially once I add the lands which Southern Liang to the mod.

In the meantime the player will have at least a bloodline to add to the collection.
j2rIqrB.jpg

The localisation is WIP.
杨广,charitable,what?

杨广,charitable,what?
I'm cutting corners with character traits, especially for unplayable characters. When the traits are not declared in the history files the game randomly generates some. Also, I barely touched the Yangs as I as of now I failed to find a mention of them holding any important post in or after 867 and I first prioritise clans which will be playable.

Edit: Actually I didn't notice before that Yang Zhiwen (楊知溫), the Jiedushi of Jingnan (荊南節度使) was of this clan, so I will have to do them soon.

Last edited:
I must really say this looks impressive. And taking your modification as kind of the continuation of mechls endeavour, I feel the force growing in me, to return to CKII, and especially HIP :)

crash on selecting the marriage button
Can you access the marriage screen screen either by the rings on the character portrait itself or by right clicking on the character and going to arrange marriage?

Doing the right click menu for marrige limits the marrige to a certain courts candidates. If both are broken it Could be an interface file has been messed up.

Can you access the marriage screen screen either by the rings on the character portrait itself or by right clicking on the character and going to arrange marriage?

Doing the right click menu for marrige limits the marrige to a certain courts candidates. If both are broken it Could be an interface file has been messed up.
It was only the rings that led to the crash, but to be honest I didn't have a crash neither yesterday nor today when doing so. I did have some WIP character history files, which after cleaning up might have rid of the crash reason. I'll test a bit more with different characters and different years and check it.

If everything's ok, then I'll make a sweep through the timeline to make sure no glaring errors are present. So, aiming with the initial release before Christmas.

I must really say this looks impressive. And taking your modification as kind of the continuation of mechls endeavour, I feel the force growing in me, to return to CKII, and especially HIP :)
I'm glad you like it! Mind you, the China will be quite barebones when it comes to special mechanics and events. Also the balance might be far from perfect.

Just want to give my appreciation for you working on this intensive project!
It's certainly gonna keep me occupied for a long time to come. :)

Amazing!

I think this is not particularly worrying yet (with the focus at the stated bookmarks), but thoughts on the enormous and mostly unlanded Song imperial clan in game terms?
To be honest, since PDS didn't even include the full roster of Song Emperors, I expected to have a lot of work and didn't even check the History of Song to see how much.

Now I took a look... and adding all of them by hand into the game is gonna take me weeks, if not months. So, yeah, we will see. One possibility is to give them an onwership of a barony after which their title is named and just leave them there. Alternatively, I might decide that my sanity is more important and cut around the corners a bit.

Hi,Warial,long time no see!
While now I have no time to watch your this mod and even to make any possible suggestions on it, even what MT group asked me to do had been hung up, I would watch this mod if I could have any time on modding.

This looks very interesting but how does this interact with the Mongol Invasion?
It doesn't, at least not yet. The cradle of Mongols is on the map, so if I ever reach 13th century, you will be able to play an OPM Temujin. For now, I'm not sure what to do yet. Any ideas are welcome.
Hi,Warial,long time no see!
While now I have no time to watch your this mod and even to make any possible suggestions on it, even what MT group asked me to do had been hung up, I would watch this mod if I could have any time on modding.
I would very much appreciate if people reported any inaccuracies, errors and offered new ideas. So, I hope you will find some time.