• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I guess a richer France, with a stronger mercantile class might have paid more attention to philosophers than it did OTL. But I'm not sure how Colebertism/Jansenism (which influences arguably slowed the spread of secular/liberal ideas) fit into this. Regardless, I'm eager to see what you'll do about OTL figures like Voltaire/Rousseau or the Physiocrats.

I'd say that part of the interesting thing about Tiberius is how, while he was influenced by some ATL and some OTL characters (de la Houssaye, d'Artagnan the younger, Montaigne), the movement he created wasn't really influenced by philosophy at all but by the interests at play: unemployment due to purposeful neglect, fears of losing relevance, anger at rising debt.

It's something that will come up later (and the 'liberal' wing and the 'Flanderist' wing will strongly disagree on that) but the lack of a singular interest and the lack of any sort of underpinning philosophy is really the reason that the revolt fell apart within a month, but also the reason that everyone could look back on it and see themselves in it.

Your reading is legit though I fully admit that we're in a France that's a bit too advanced for its time.

A fascinating look at an equally fascinating rebellion. Suffocated primarily, one supposes – and has been mentioned – fundamentally for having been too avant-garde, but I will be very interested to see how the French “left” builds on it politically and intellectually.

That said, if it means the Bourbons stop with their petty vendetta against Paris then I'm happy. :p

Reactions:
Great writing and very interesting to read!

The Parisians and people of France lost one battle against the reactionaries, but they have not lost the war! A war which will end up with the people of France, the common men, having the last word. (Hopefully) Yes, I'm sympathising with the rebells, but they are in favour of a republic and from Paris, so who else could I support? ;)

Reactions:

lof23_zps2dc4bf4f.png

The Far East during the Mediterranean War

From An Abridged History of the East Indies

The entrance of Great Britain into the Mediterranean War led to a wave across all of the colonies. Two of the farthest ranging empires Earth had ever seen were at war across four continents...and while it might not surprise the reader that this caused a whole bunch of trouble, this was actually far worse than it might at first seem. Because the Colonial Offices of Britain and France had actually been growing steadily closer to each other, especially the East Indies departments. War was not to the benefit of anyone in the colonies, especially in the Far East, where European outposts stood nearly alone against the threats of massive empires and the revolter kingdoms that rose from them.

The thing which had been bringing France and Britain together in the East Indies was the necessity of a combined response to the steady breakup of the Mughal Empire, which been declining ever since Shi’a rebels broke their hold over Persia. Clashes between Hindus and Muslimis, and the increasing recruitment of Hindus to fight the Persian empire, led to ongoing conflicts which the Mughals were less and less capable of fighting these rebels, especially in the south and east where they were given European arms. However these revolts came in waves, with the traditionally rebellious hill princes of Orissa breaking off in the early 17th century alongside several southern princes, forming the Orissan and Vijayanagaran confederacies respectively. Ever since that point, the governor of every Mughal province was acutely aware of the possibility of attaining freedom or great wealth by breaking off or joining with the Europeans.

India1710_zpsqpq3ikpp.jpg

The breakup of the Mughal Empire had been progressing ever since their high point in the eraly 17th century, but the Maratha Revolts of the early 18th century meant that by the 1720s the Empire had almost entirely collapsed

The rise of Aurangzheb seemed like a turning point for the Empire; Aurangzheb was a strong headed man with a desire to bring the Empire back to its old glories, and upon rising he promised to kick the Europeans out of Benghal and Gujarat and to take the Orissans back into the Empire. But to do this he needed a larger army. The Imperial Army had reverted to the old fashion of organization, wherein large portions of the army were raised and maintained their loyalties to the warlord who raised them, with the actual imperial army only amounting to a few ten thousand. Aurangzheb sought to undo this by recruiting from all sections of his empire, including a small draft request from his remaining Hindu provinces to report directly to the Imperial army. This rapidly fell apart, as the Marathas rose up in the south. The Marathas were the Hindu warrior caste, and in the Hindu provinces were in charge of more than a hundred thousand men. Although at first this revolt seemed confined to the South, it rapidly spread through all of the Empire’s Hindu provinces, and over the next 20 years the Maratha Confederation would largely replace the Mughals in the subcontinent.

Responding to this collapse was what brought the French, British, and Scandinavian colonial offices together, in order to manage the revolt and make sure that their own commanders were loyal. Together, the East India companies reformed their armies to consist primarily of European mercenaries and Buddhists who had no connection to the Marathas. Beyond this they coordinated to make sure that Orissa and the South did not join the new confederacy, and created a ‘neutral zone’ of princes who were allowed to trade with each of the East Indies Companies.

aurangzeb-facts.jpg

Aurangzheb was, perhaps, the last man who could have ended the decline of the Mughals, but he acted too swiftly and his reign was wracked by the Maratha Revolts. He was eventually assassinated in his bed, and for the rest of its history the Mughal Empire would be destroyed by a series of Succession Crises.

And so the war barely affected the East Indies, in fact the period had the greatest example of Franco-British cooperation, when Lord Ellesley and Viscomte de Braffe joined forces to put down a Marathan revolt in the neutral zone. This did not mean that the war did not effect the colonies, but its effect was a surprising one. With periodic blockades meaning that the colonies were cut off from the mainland, and with massive amounts of money coming in to support ‘campaigns’ against their foes, the Mediterranean War marked a new age of European exploitation of the Indian subcontinent. Namely, this was the first period when relatively large standing armies formed under the auspices of the East Indies Companies, and minor fortresses were erected to protect the hegemony of European interests. A series of remarkably similar practices emerged in the European colonies, including using religious minorities as their military / governing class (Buddhists in French Madras, Hindus in British Gujarat, Muslims nearly everywhere else), promoting Christianity as a way of building a new ruling class, and using primarily trade to keep a hold of their larger territories.

The French had the largest advantage in this, as they were able to take the soldiers they drafted from Madras and bring them to Sri Lanka, where they trained and stood ready from France’s two fortress-ports in the island, a purely independent force lead by European brigadiers and interspersed with European soldiers. Lastly, outside of Benghal and Sri Lanka, the governors were actually given a wide berth and a great deal of independence.

India1720_zpsvtipgjx3.jpg

India after the Treaty of Dehli led to the ascendency of the Maratha Confederacy, with European outposts and zones of influence.

In southern China, the opposite trends were in effect. There a reformist Qing Emperor had actually strengthened his rule in his Han provinces and was leading a campaign to retake Szechuan. While this campaign was proving to be far more difficult than the Qing initially imagined, it woke the French and Swedish up to the very strong possibility that they could lose their territories to a Qing invasion. This led to a fundamentally different kind of militarization in the Five Kingdoms and in the Min Kingdom. The armies built in European India were built to deal with smaller enemies and potential revolts, and were organized in such a way that the collapse of one army could be responded with the action of another. These kinds of armies couldn’t possibly respond to an invasion of two hundred thousand Qing troops. So the new Royal Armies in Southern China were recruited from the whole population of China, with many lower officers also being recruited from the Chinese gentry.

While these were called the ‘Royal Army’, the militarization of Min and the Five Kingdoms had the same effect it had in India--that is, the development of the Lord Commander to the point where he was the most powerful figure within the imperial territories. More and more, the Min King was sidelined in favor of the Lord Commander, a move which was not met with opposition within the royal family (who had been utterly bought with French cash and Indian opium), but produced increasing rage in the Chinese gentry class, who now had little to no chance for social mobility outside of the army.

It was these different situations, different kinds of states, which led to a resilient European imperialism in India and an increasingly weak one in Southern China. Two times in the next thirty years, revolts would occur in Min and the Five Kingdoms, headed by men who had served in the Royal Armies. One of them would, in the space of a few years, bring down the whole structure of European imperialism in China and begin the series of crises which would end in the first French Revolution.

Last edited:
Parisians are scum, tis known.

Hey now

A fascinating look at an equally fascinating rebellion. Suffocated primarily, one supposes – and has been mentioned – fundamentally for having been too avant-garde, but I will be very interested to see how the French “left” builds on it politically and intellectually.

That said, if it means the Bourbons stop with their petty vendetta against Paris then I'm happy. :p

As if anything could stop that vendetta!

That was amazing! Wonderful to see these philosophical currents and economic tides finally bring about a real break, even if a failed one.
Keen on hearing more of this!

Great writing and very interesting to read!

The Parisians and people of France lost one battle against the reactionaries, but they have not lost the war! A war which will end up with the people of France, the common men, having the last word. (Hopefully) Yes, I'm sympathising with the rebells, but they are in favour of a republic and from Paris, so who else could I support? ;)

Thank you!

Purple is Maratha, green is the mughals, dark red is GB, dark blue Scandinavia, dark grey France, lighter colors are the zones of each respective country.

Yellow dots are forts.

Reactions:
The development around the Asian colonies will be interesting to follow, especially since the different alliance blocks of Europe might create tension in Asia, and divert troops. A difficult balance of powers to maintain.

Hey sorry for the long wait, I just got a new job as a substitute teacher and it's been taking up a lot of my time, the next entry is going to be the first part of a two parter about how the navy wrested considerable influence during the course of the war

Reactions:
Congratulations on the job! I'll be looking forward to the next update, whenever it comes.

manhatta_zpsdf6d0528.png

Municipal University of Manhatta, April 1984

”You missed our last appointment...and you nearly missed this one” Franceau said to his disheveled looking student as he glanced at the clock, which read 18:23.

“Yeah I was at the protest”, she huffed, sloughing off one of the three (four?) bags she had strapped to her with one arm while trying to wipe the sweat off her forehead with the other. “Honestly surprised I didn’t see you there.”

“I’m already in a precarious position, a position which you share. We’re not invisible figures, people see us writing these papers, they see us protesting, they send letters to the administration.” Franceau said, repeating a line he felt he had said again and again to his PhD students, Judy most especially.

Judy glared, “I’ve been meaning to talk to you about that. I want to change dissertation topics. I’ve been thinking about looking further into the Woman’s Revolt. I can publish the stuff I’ve been writing about Versailles, it’ll all look good on the CV, but honestly I’m losing interest the more I write about this.”

It was Franceau’s turn to huff. “Do you know how much hatemail I got for Absolutism an Impossibility? How many letters the administration got calling for me to be fired? How many death threats?”

“And you want me to follow in your footsteps?”

“I’ve created a path for you. This is a highly relevant topic right now and my work have made it more reasonable for you to write this kind of stuff. The censors allowed Absolitism an Impossibility through, so more specific papers can now be published under that subject. But if we start getting accused of radicalism, of anarchism-”

Judy’s glare was lit ablaze “God forbid you’re accused of caring about something more relevant than the actions of some centuries dead man”

“We’ll both be dead if you keep up with this insane behavior!” Franceau was on the verge of shouting.

“You think that staying in the academy, in this office, can protect you? Did Jean’s linguistics degree help him when he was murdered by the police?”

Now Franceau was truly enraged. “How dare you bring his name into this?!”, he yelled while banging his fist on his desk.

“I’m not the one who’s sitting by his desk, twiddling his thumbs, while the police are killing his friends” Judy said, cooling down. “You of all people should know better. Here’s your papier sacré” she said, taking her paper out and tossing it on Robb’s desk.

Robb flinched at the curse, but before he could get in a final word, Judy had slammed the door. He sat there, for a few minutes, slowing his breathing, before he exhaled, cracked his neck, and picked up his glasses.

Institutional Capture and the French Royal Navy during the Mediterranean War
Henri III’s reign began with a vision, a view of the world and of the Kingdom of France where the King, due to his enlightened nature, would be able to ‘justly and aptly reign France, not for the few, but for the entirety of his subjects”. This was a not-so-subtle attack on a confluence of powers which had marked France ever since the death of Henri II: a coalition of the upper bureaucracy, the army and--at least in the cities--the guilds which, after the administrations of Louis XIII and Colbert, were an overwhelming force in French political life. The phrase “an army with a state” is often attributed to Voltaire describing Prussia, but the quote originally came from Marquis de Saint Antoine’s biting parody of the Louvre in the 1690s. “It seems that every man who is not an officer wants to be one”, regained Saint Antoine, “and there are few visions more unappealing and entertaining than a tax farmer straining to fit into the uniform of his youth, his chest heaving under the weight of a dozen medals”. This trend even spread to the guilds of Paris and Flandres, leading to militant stylings in guild halls far after the army lost its social prestige.

Henri’s constant attacks on “the power of factions” meant an attack on the power of the army and the bureaucracy, or at least the suggestion that Henri was attempting to undo the power of these groups. In practice however, during the early reign of Henri III the army remained just as powerful as it had under Colbert, with Eugene de Savoie, a prominent army officer and childhood friend to the king, keeping the King’s ‘attacks’ in line, and a whole array of chancellors and ministers did their best at frustrating the attempts of the King to create a top-down ‘gouvernement sans factions’. In the end, this faction, known by the 1720s as the “Colbertistes” (for Colbert was the man who finally struck the compromise between military and bureaucratic interests) would only be weakened by the emergency of a new faction, created by a new confluence of interests.

Instrumental to this reorganization was the Navy, which would seem perplexing to any Frenchman of the 17th century (and to many onlookers at the time). Although it became far larger during the earlier reign of Henri it was still a very new institution with a miniscule presence in Versailles. Class matters were also key here, because while many captains in the French navy were exiles from other oceangoing countries (mostly Italians and Portuguese), they were also by and large not members of the nobility. This was especially true of the group of officers recruited from piracy and the merchant marine, who were almost all either of peasant or bourgeois origin. This meant that even if the Navy had many capable officers, few were experienced in the kind of backroom dealing which actually made policy in the Louvre. Which is why they were instrumental rather than central, because in a similar way that Colbert used the army as a way of strengthening the power of the “administrative bureaucracy”, that is the local governments and tax agencies, men like Richard Cantillion and Francis le Brix used the Navy throughout the War to strengthen the position of the newly invented Ministry of Finance and the Royal Bank.

Richard_Cantillon.png

Richard Cantillion, made minister of finance after the Colonial Crisis, became the founder of what was later called the physiocrat faction
Richard Cantillion had been a major figure in the Parisian parlement before the war, known for his journal of economics and easy wit. It was this wit which catapulted him into fame, for he was a constant fixture in the growing salon scene, and had befriended many men close to the King. However he was also definitively a peripheral figure, with controversial views regarding tariffs and the army’s ownership over major industries. Since Louis XIII and particularly after Colbert’s regency, the army had developed ownership over massive swatches of French industry, including flat out owning several major mines and having a complete monopsony over the crafting of arms. This, along with Cantillion’s half irish parentage, meant that although he was a successful merchant he was given relatively little thought in the halls of the Louvre.

Before Cantillion met Francis le Brix it seemed he would remain a minor figure in the Parisian parliament, proposing legislation to lower tariffs and doing little else. But his meeting with Francis le Brix in 1714 proved to be one of the most important meetings of the Henrian period, with these two players becoming the fore runners of what would later be called the “Physiocratic” faction.

le Brix, like Cantillion, was a minor nobleman with a miniscule pension and a small patch of land a mere dozen hectares. And like Cantillion, le Brix made a fortune through using newly developed growing techniques and by growing a cash crop, in le Brix’s case hemp and charcoal, in Cantillion’s case, various prestige foodstuffs from the Americas (most prominently potatoes, tomatoes, and beans). This alone would have made these two men relatively wealthy, but it was their capability as financiers that made them rich enough to be of note to the Crown. This was a last point of similarity between the coconspirators: they had both gained their wealth in the space of one generation, which was almost unheard of before the 18th century. This is not to say that France was not a socially mobile society in the 18th century, but generally the method of mobility was inter-generational, a merchant might well off enough to become a bureaucrat, with their son becoming a nobleman and their great grand children being considered high enough to gain a higher title. By transcending this process le Brix and Cantillion were largely isolated from aristocratic circles, although their meteoric rise made them hugely popular in Paris and a figure of interest to Henri.

Le Brix gained his riches first, primarily through selling hemp to the navy, and was made ambassador to Italy in 1707 to much fanfare. When he returned in 1717, having been made Chancellor to the King (in , he found a man who was even richer than he, who was writing controversial articles about the economy of China and how France should focus on its agrarian and financial wealth, on how the Crown should dismantle the military owned industries and send its workers back to the fields.

Rural-11.jpg

A painting of le Brix’s estate, showing his carefully cultivated forests and hemp crops
The two became fast friends, and through his influence le Brix was able to place Cantillion within the ministry of the treasury, where Cantillion remained for a year, doing little besides writing reports on the threatening growth in bond speculation, reports which went largely unnoticed with the exception of the King. When the Atlantic Bonds market finally crashed, le Brix took advantage of the crisis by suggesting Cantillion as the new Minister of the Treasury, and taking advantage of crises would become a trend in the behavior of the Physiocrats.
With his position as Minister, Cantillion nominally had a good deal of policymaking power, and was behind the Vingtième (five percent tax on landowners) and a 10% reduction on tariffs to Sweden and the Ottoman Empire. However it rapidly became clear to him that he did not actually have the power his ministerial position suggested, as the army resisted him at every turn, creating massive loopholes in the Vingtième for military service and adding harsh tariffs on foodstuffs. Worse, the creation of a taille which forced vagrants to sign up for military service went directly against Cantillion’s attempt to ‘get these vagrants to work’ in areas he pinpointed as especially productive. These moves infuriated Cantillion, who had remained through his whole life an enemy of the army’s influence. In a letter to le Brix, he complained: “Look to England, to the Netherlands, to Sweden, to China. These lands are all richer than ours,, they produce foodstuffs of greater quality, manufactures of greater variety, and trade in greater quantities than us, the most populous country in Europe. Why? Because they do not spend their money, send thousands of men to die, on nonsensical military adventures.”

But the Army’s influence was waning. Eugen de Savoie, the military’s word in Henri III’s ear, had been acting as commander in chief of the German front alongside his role as the army’s ambassador in Versailles, a job he was increasingly not capable of. His nerves tearing from constant travels between Paris and Prussia, he had engaged in a series of arguments with Henri which had left their decade long friendship in ill repair. This culminated in Eugen leaving to command French-Prussian forces directly. While this was nominally to help the Prussians retake Silesia, what we know now from diplomatic messages is that the position was given to Savoie because his friendship to Henri had ended.

Map-AtlanticIslands-c.jpg

The Atlantic isles, where Olivier Levasseur (also known as Olivier La Buse, the Buzzard) operated in the 1710s
Shortly before this, one Olivier Levasseur was returning from a decade long campaign in the Atlantic, where he was attacking British shipping even before they entered the war. Pirate campaigns were a fact of life in the 18th century, but the Buzzard was particularly capable. His campaign in the Atlantic was a drastic success, with his ships intercepting multiple English treasure ships coming from the East Indies, culminating in him capturing England’s ports in the Azores and Maderia shortly after the United Kingdom declared war. Better yet, Olivier had captured these bases under the Spanish flag, allowing a single ship to return to the British Isles, which, from the onset of Britain’s entry into the war, destabilized the British alliance to the Holy Alliance. Desperate for a base along the trade winds, the British navy occupied Gibraltar, Ceuta, and Melilla, leading to yet worse estrangement between Spain and her allies, furthering Henry of Portugal’s negotiations with Henri to an even further degree. For this, Olivier La Buse was brought back to Versailles to be made France’s first admiral.

This is where La Buse met le Brix and Cantillion, and because the three came from relatively common means and fought against a life of insults and patronization coming from the upper nobility, they became quick friends. After the attempted revolt in Paris was fought off by a regiment of cavalry commanded by La Buse himself, the Physiocrats realized how they would, finally, break the strength of the Army once and for all.

They were going to sabotage its war effort.

Last edited:
This meant that even if the Navy had many capable officers, few were experienced in the kind of backroom dealing which actually made policy in the Louvre. Which is why they were instrumental rather than central

Loving the setting up of these players and the dawning backroom dealings.
And the 'present day' sections are getting bolder and darker. Want more!

Great work with this update! I appreciate the modern-day updates that are indeed very dark as mayorqw mentions, and hopefully we will discover more about those in the future. I also liked to read on the ascension of this new faction and Cantillion, le Brix and la Buse at it's head, however I do not hope their schemes will make you loose the war, which would probably have dire consequences.

lof23_zps2dc4bf4f.png

The Clandestine Efforts of the Italian War

From Attempts at a New Warfare, by R. de Villeneuve

More than any other figure of the Ancien Regime, Henri III de Bourbon-Orleans possessed what we could call the most modern awareness of strategy. Perhaps because such a large proportion of his ambassadors and ministers were men of the third estate, his time as king was marked by a nearly complete lack of respect for the tendencies and common senses of his time, a lack of respect which resulted in the destruction of the Holy Coalition and nearly two decades of French world hegemony, and as such it would almost be accurate to refer to his actions in the Mediterranean as revolutionary.

But he could not go far enough, because no matter how progressive his ambassadors were, despite the growing influence of the third estate in Versailles, it was still an aristocratic regime, and one which was far more concerned with protecting the ancien regime in general than it was in self aggrandizement. Furthermore, Henri’s regime lacked any sort of modern military command structure, and as such conflicts between the Army and Navy, And while I have no proof of this*, the emergence of the naval fraction in Versailles certainly led to a competitive mentality among the Army and the Navy, with each action by one prompting an attempt by the other to move out and gain more glory, not for the nation but for itself. In Italy these contradictions--between an overly aggressive military policy born of miscoordination and a diplomatic policy constitutionally incapable of succeeding in its goals--meant that instead of completely dismantling her foe,France suffered from her greatest military defeat since the death of Henri II.

Regardless of this, the Italian Campaign, in its near success and its horrid failure, show us the horrifying potentiality of a new kind of warfare, which transcends the merely military and attacks the enemy directly at its political core. Such a strategy breaks past the dialectic of defense and offense so common to purely military actions, breaks the strength of defensive terrain, fortresses, lines of supply. Warfare fought through sabotage, through propaganda, through assassinations and mobilizations, cannot be effectively counteracted, and leaves wounds which last longer than battles. And because it attacks directly at the contradictions of the enemy state it cannot be defended against like a normal physical attack. The Second Republic has, multiple times, benefitted from such actions, if only accidentally. If we could purposefully embark on such a strategy, as Henri almost did in Italy, I believe that we could hold the world in our hands, despite our volunteer army, despite being beset on all sides by tyrants petty and imperial.

Guido_von_Starhemberg.jpg

Humbert von Rundstedt, the dreaded lord commander of the German Empire’s Italian possessions.

And Italy was a land rife with tensions and contradictions. This may be difficult to the contemporary reader, for whom “Italy” means ‘the first nation’, a land of deeply suspicious and independent men, but the Italian crown was gifted to the house of Medici by the Holy Roman Emperor and under Cosimo III and the regent Victor von Habsburg Italy was practically a puppet for the Habsburgs, even closer to Vienna than Spain. But in order for this alliance to continue the Italians had to make some horrid compromises. The burgher republic of Venice, once the center of the majority of a great trade empire, had been reduced to a degenerate wreck, corrupted by Habsburg money and the long destruction of their free will. Two separate times Venetians had rebelled in the later 17th century, and after the Delassatri Revolt of 1679 the majority of Venice lost even the vague semblances of independence it once had, with only the city choosing its own leaders and the rest of the republic being ruled by the Brigadier-Constable Humbert von Rundstedt.

If the Medici’s inability to unify northern Italy infuriated large portions of the Umbrians and Florentines who were most supportive of the Italian state and most strongly represented in the Italian bureaucracy, not all of Italy’s subjects were so enamored to their ‘nation’. The Savoyards, who had long been oriented primarily towards the French, were as a majority opposed to attempts to curtail their independence and after unification a majority of the Savoyard nobility had left for Lyon or Paris. But even the burgers who remained in Turin and Alessandria had major issues with Florence, particularly with the military rule imposed during the unification which had never once abated.

These exiles wanted a state for their own and were willing to fight for it, and after the Campaign of Savoy led to the quick capture of Ciamberi (which, due to the Alps, was far closer to Lyon that any Italian city), Henri began setting up a new court to threaten the Medici’s hold over northern Italy. To this court in Ciamberi flocked Italian militants from Europe over, from all walks of life.

hessian-soldiers-1.jpg

The 1st and 2nd Italian Regiments were the first regiments of the French Royal Marines, a military unit which had an influence which went far beyond its small size

The army officers suggested using these exiles to reinforce the Army of Germany, but le Brix had a different use for them. By recruiting these exiles directly into the newly formed French Royal Marine, le Brix had a military unit already predisposed to the kind of offensive he saw as deeply necessary, both in order to help break the standstill which had characterized this immensely expensive war for the last 7 years and to justify Cantillion’s proposal to transfer 20% of the army’s budget to the navy.

The heroics of the First and Second Italian Royal Marines have been recounted numerous times and are not the subject of this essay. What I intend to speak of here was the Third Italian Royal Marine, a far smaller group which none the less had a massive effect on the progress of the war. A group of recent exiles from Italy hired for their hatred of the Medici, the 3rd IRM included Republicans, Guildsmen, and Noblemen, and were assigned to the task of weakening the Italian Kingdom from within while France’s armies attacked it from without. They began striking Medici administrators and governors the moment that the French Marine embarked for Corsica, and by 1729 had succeeded in assassinating the leader of the Turin garrison, spreading sedition among the local militias.

This left northwestern Italy an easy target for a pair of French armies under de la Chartes and de Savoie, newly returned from their conflicts in Prussia and Spain. With the combined weight of 75,000 men and the weakened defenses provided by the Italian Exiles, success came swiftly, with the capture of Turin and Genoa in early 1730. After the capture of Turin the regiment was sent further afield, with two groups (the Groupe Vénitien and the Groupe Milanese) working to protect the French army’s western flank through a second campaign of subterfuge in the German Empire’s territories.

Italy%201730_zps8y4vjlzt.jpg

The Italian Front, late 1730

But the Exiles did more than simply cut lines of communication and scorch the earth. They contacted and coordinated the anti-Habsburg dissenters, eventually creating an alliance between the Veronese peasants who were suppressed in the last revolt with Venetian and Milanese dissenters. Protests rapidly turned into riots, and riots into an outright attack on Imperial buildings. In the fall the Imperial garrisons were either converted to the Republican cause or thrown out of Milan, Verona, and Venice. Peasant revolters took the surrounding areas, and the 3rd IRM began organizing the revolters into armies, and in Verona, the city council, aided by IRM member Aldo Morretti, founded the Republic of Italy, hoping to gain the support of Henri III.

Let us take a second to survey what this could have meant, what this could mean, for our republic. Henri could have completely destroyed the Kingdom of Italy as a viable power, replaced it with a buffer state comprising one of the richest parts of Europe, and driven a stake into the heart of the Holy Coalition. But merely voicing this possibility shows, also, the impossible nature such a venture under the state of Henri III. Henri, that arch-royalist, could go to the very edge of supporting rebellion in the states which opposed him but was constitutionally incapable of bringing these achievements to a head. He had already decided that his Italian venture would be towards the goal of establishing a Kingdom for his childhood friend, Eugen de Savoie. Beyond this, after the Revolt of the Parlementaires in Paris Henri would not fathom supporting republics. And so at the last moment Henri gave orders for Eugene de Savoie to march to the east, to support the Habsburgs in their war against the Republic of Italy.

Italy%201731_zpsic7schrv.jpg

The planned march towards Florence, and the march which ended up occurring.

The planned march into Tuscany had de la Chartes working on the western flank, marching to Santa Marinella, which was the last fortress before Rome, while de Savoie would take the old Italian capitol of Florence, a target defended by fifteen thousand men led by d’Ostra. The assumption was that resistance would be low and that Rome could be captured before the larger contingent arrived from Naples. What Henri and de Savoie underestimated was the skill of d’Ostra, and this underestimation led to the greatest military loss in French history.

Because the Italian army was moving north from Naples, and d’Orsa was one of the most skilled officers Italy has produced since Caesar. As de Savoie moved west to lay siege to Milan, d’Orsa began intercepting the communiques between de Savoie and de la Chartes, giving de la Chartes the idea that de Savoie was actually marching alongside him, at least for the first three days of de la Chartes’ march towards Santa Marinella. De la Chartes was a deeply aggressive general, perhaps the most aggressive the army possessed at the time, but he was not particularly skilled. In Spain he had a tendency to march forward in a single column, just sending scouts forward and relying on supporting armies to support his flanks. But this aggression had given him a great deal of prestige in a period when the army was, for the first time, facing competition within the halls of the capital, when it needed someone to prove that the army wasn’t a den of complacency. De la Chartes was not simply acting aggressive because it was in his nature, he was ordered to strike towards Rome as swiftly as possible, because Marshal de Lautries had heard that the Navy planned a landing at Fiumincino, a quarter day’s march from Rome. Such an offensive would have definiteively weakened the army’s influence in Versailles and placed the Physiocrats at the highest levels of government. The march of de la Chartes was not just a product of a government systematically incapable of completing its goals, it was a product of an army which was systemically predisposed against cooperating with its fellow military arms.

By the time de la Chartes realized his mistake, he was already caught. Rain had made large parts of the Arno uncrossable and d’Ostra had retaken Pisa over the night just as the prince of Medici’s army arrived to the south of Rome. Pinned, de la Chartes began shifting a part of his army to the rear, trying to fight his way back to friendly ground. Avoiding the Arno, he tried to move through the Apennines, the mountain range which stretched through central Italy, in order to come closer to de Savoie’s army.

Battle_of_Chiari%2C_1701.png

The Battle of Camerino

Crossing the Apennines with 35,000 men created numerous occasions for ambushes, and over the course of a single week de la Chartes lost 5,000 men along his flanks to such attacks. After a week of haphazard retreats and after giving up most of his cannon to the approaching Italians, de la Chartes camped in Camerino, in a valley just on the border of the Anconan coastal plains. But as dawn came, it was revealed that d’Ostra had marched overnight and now possessed a command over the northern pass out of the valley. De la Chartes swiftly created a rearguard and moved towards the narrow eastern pass. But as he led his troops towards the pass he began to come under artillery fire from the hills. Within an hour it was revealed who they were: the forces of the Prince Medici, who had mounted their cannon on wagons and brought them rapidly up the coast of the Adriatic. Faced with artillery to his front and an army to his rear, de la Chartes surrendered the whole of his force.

The Battle of Camerino, in which France lost 28,000 men in a morning, remains to this day the greatest military failure in the history of the French Army. This is not to say that it was a strategic defeat; Eugene de Savoie had been spending this whole time negotiating with his counterpart in the Habsburg army for an ending to the Austrian participation in the war, and act which would completely change the diplomatic landscape of Europe. The Treaty of Ferrara, a ceasefire which would lead to the more extensive Treaty of Bern, was signed by von Runstendt and one of the highest ranked French commanders a stone’s throw away from the gallows they built together to strangle a revolution France had unknowingly started. The Treaty of Bern did not just destroy the Holy Coalition, or the Franco-Turkish alliance built as a counter to it; it marked the end of Henri’s flirtations with progressive or republican ideas. The first item of the Treaty was something both parties earnestly agreed to, that is the choice to never again attempt to promulgate revolts in the state of one’s enemies and the immediate liquidation of “any and all clandestine groups formed by the engaged parties”, and this meant the Third Italian Royal Marine. Over the 1730s nearly all of them were caught and murdered by French and Imperial authorities, with some very few finding refuge in Switzerland.

The Battle of Camerino marked the end of the Mediterranean War as well as the end of a whole era of European diplomacy. The power of the Habsburgs was ended, and now the hegemon of Europe resided in Versailles. But Henri resided on a fragile throne. The Battle of Camerino was a major embarrassment for the French army, and Henri, now swayed to the Physiocrats, cut the army’s funding and allowed for a large drawback in troop numbers; down to 100,000 in 1734. Italy, infuriated by her betrayal by the French and the Hapsburgs, broke her alliance with Vienna and began orienting towards two other powers spurned in the Treaty of Bern: Britain and Prussia.

We can surpass this. With but a few hundred men and a willingness to strike at the political contradictions of his enemies Henri was able to defeat an alliance which existed for nearly a century. If we were to purposefully and systematically work towards these goals we can gain far more than that.

* = de Villeneuve was writing this in the 1790s during his period in exile before being made leader of the Voltigeurs, and as such he did not have access to the archives which would have proven him correct

hey sorry for disappearing for two months, I've been busy with work and with trying to move upstate, I'm halfway done with the next entry which is also about the physiocrats strengthening their power and patronage networks within Versailles

Reactions:
No worries! This is an AAR that's well worth waiting for.

Reactions:
manhatta_zpsdf6d0528.png

Municipal University of Manhatta, late April 1984

The sudden stop of the S-Train jolted Franceau out of sleep. He glanced up at the station name and slumped back down. Normally the trip home took forty minutes, but since the Andre Danton protests turned into riots the trains had begun taking far longer, with seven minute stops at each station to allow the police to frisk anyone who came in, a decision which seemed quite odd since it was midnight on a Tuesday and the station, and quite similarly the train, were almost completely empty. Franceau closed his eyes and tried to get a little more sleep when he heard a crumpling noise in front of him and a strangely accented voice.

“Bonsoir monseigneur”

Franceau opened his eyes a sliver. Who the hell speaks French with an accent like that in Haarlem? But suddenly, he opened his eyes all the way, because sitting in front of him was a Fédéral, with his suit jacket almost concealing the kevlar vest he wore underneath. The DFE agent switched to English, his thick Quebecois accent still coming through. “Papers you have there?”

“Yeah” Franceau mumbled, clutching his papers closer to his chest. He was now holding the Fédéral’s glare.

“You teach the French Revolution?” the Fédéral said with a raised eyebrow.

“Some of it, I mean, up to and including, I mainly teach the Enlighten-” Franceau said before he was interrupted.

“You teach Brideau?” the Fed’s glare grew colder.
“Yes, well-””Quite the radical isn’t he?” the Fed said with a laugh. Franceau went silent, glaring.

“Why are you not outside? Your kind is out in force tonight.” The glare was held, a silence descended over the car, broken a minute later when a homeless woman a car down started vomiting. A grin spread across the policeman’s face. “Be careful, Monseigneur Robb. This city is going to be cleaned up soon, and if you were I, I would make sure not to associate too strongly with the trash.”

He left with a chuckle just as the train’s doors closed.

Franceau was unable to sleep that night, and so instead he read the text he’d kept on him.

The structure of Physiocrat domination

By Francis Brideau

...There has been quite a historiographical debate as of late over the nature of the changes which occurred during the Mediterranean War. The old school has retained its position that by the genius of Henri and his commanders France was able to pull itself up from the malaise it had faced for a half century and rejoined the world of the Great Powers.

Let us consider this for a moment: the Kingdom of France at the beginning of the war was one of the world’s largest economies, including within its borders nearly 23 million men and women. Within its empire was a further 16 million people, mostly within the Kingdom of Min which stood as one of the richest colonies in history. Her merchants were already on par with the Dutch, the Swedes, and the English in profiting off of the increasingly global trade regime. French armies outnumbered any single potential enemy, and after the reforms initiated by Louis XIII, was cheaper and more disciplined than the armies of Austria or Spain. The idea that it took magnificent leadership to turn such a country into a ‘great power’ is nonsensical, the kind of uncritical repetition of centuries old national myths typical in our country’s deprived historical discourse.

What was key, instead, was the replacement of one section of France’s ruling class with another, more progressive element, who spent the next three decades working along the project of ‘improving’ France, the working class be damned. The removal of guilds (by moving the capitol from Paris) and the arms industry (owned primarily through the Army) from any sort of representative position in the government and their replacement with a combination of urban and maritime mercantile interests with rural ‘improver’ landlords led to the ‘Englandification’ of France during the reign of Henri, and pushed France in a very different direction than it had been pursuing, changing the nature of the French state in just a decade.

This group, the ‘Physiocrat faction’, gained and maintained power through far less overt means than the army had earlier. The era of overweening Army dominance, when the whole cabinet consisted of officers and when the upper ranks of even the treasury and judiciary were controlled by the generals, was over, although the physiocrats continued attacking the army’s influence a decade after their power was consolidated. Indeed for all but a small handful, physiocratic influence was all but invisible until the 1750s. Even at the height of their power, only three of their number were in the cabinet. Instead the Physiocrats attained total dominance of Versailles itself.

marines_zpseqyxabkq.jpg

The creation of the French Royal Marine was just as much a part of le Brix’s designs to bring the King into the Physiocrat’s circle as it was an attempt to create a fighting force that would allow the Navy to go on the offensive in the Mediterranean
This was done, at first, by exploiting the incompetence of the French army officers. For eleven years her overly cautious generals had been fighting a stalemated war across Spain, and le Brix’s and Olivier’s suggestion that with the application of a naval army of well led and well trained soldiers would be able to bring the Spanish front to a rapid close was very attractive to a king who had just faced a revolt caused partially by the imposition of new taxes aimed at continuing the an already overlong war.

The creation of the Royal Marine was the first out of a series of actions by which the Navy undermined the Army. The Marines were recruited from the most experienced French troops, sometimes taken directly from the ranks of Grenadier or Hussar regiments trained in France. The pay for higher officers was much smaller (as was generally the case with the navy at this point) which was part of why the Marines were such a comparably cheap force (the pay of higher officers at this point made up a full half of the army’s expenditures), but at the lower levels officers were paid higher, and similar to soldiers the navy would often directly poach competent officers, sometimes right out of a march or directly after a battle.

But the results were hard to dispute. Within 9 months the French Royal Marine had landed in Mallorca, destroying the majority of Spain’s remaining Mediterranean fleet and taking a key port in a campaign which lasted for just one month. In the next year the Royal Marine took the key Spanish port in Oran and played a key role in the Siege of Valencia, which opened up the entirety of Spain’s Mediterranean ports to attack. Combined with the blockade of Lisbon (which threatened Spain’s only remaining fleet) the Spanish front was closed with the rise of Henry of Portugal to the imperial throne. Le Brix was quick to take credit for this, and Cantillion pressed for a docking of the French arrmy officer’s pay to create another force under the navy who would stir revolt in northern Italy while the Royal Marine fought in Corsica.

peasants-revolt.jpg

The Battle of Sardinia was the one place where the French Royal Marine, created to fight coastal battles and lacking in heavy fire support, floundered. Sardinians rose up behind the Marines’ line, on the idea that Henri was attempting to give Sardinia to his friend Eugene in order to create a new, tyrannical, kingdom under a foreign ruler (a charge which proved true after the war)
With some significant victories coming from the Navy, Cantillion began placing himself closer and closer to the King’s ear, even giving up his place at the head of the treasury in order to take the new position as “Head of the King’s Estate”. While this nominally just made Cantillion the King’s head accountant and head of Versailles, it also put the Physiocrats in a position where he could place legislation on a large portion of France. The king was still the largest landholder in France, given that he had long held the titles of ‘Duke of Bourbon’ and ‘Duke of Britanny’. The end of the Fronde placed the house of Orleans to the Throne, adding the rich lands to the south of Paris to the King’s direct demense, and ended with the king taking direct administration over the massive Duchy of Burgundy. And while nearly half of the Duchy of Burgundy had been sold to speculators in the wake of the Franco-Dutch War, many of these titles were sold without any of the ancient land-rights traditional to Baronies (hence the title ‘Viscomte of Burgundy’ being held by nearly 300 minor notables). While demense law had not figured into politics since the establishment of an absolute monarchy in the 17th centruy, but Cantillion brought it back, allowing him to sidestep the rights and privileges of those who lived in royal lands in order to step towards a completely new economy.

He began this by dealing with yet another debt crisis by selling plots of land to officers and members of the bourgeoisie. This, for the first time, did not mean the bestowing of titles, although they were nominally viscounties. But from this point forward the land sold from the King’s demense would carry neither title nor pension and would give a set amount of taxes every year. This was done in an attempt to replicate the great gains made in English agriculture under the Improvers. Attempts at replicating English success had been made before, with subsidies given to freeholders who planted potatoes and turnips, but these attempts often failed, with no punishment given for failing to apply new techniques. The high tax on the sold land attempted to reproduce the pressures that English agrarian capitalism had on the individual farmer, and in some areas this attempt worked. Burgundy and Brittany’s agricultural output rose by roughly 70% over the next two decades, with Bourbonnais’ raising even higher, nearly doubling with the use of fertilizer and after estates became large enough to appropriately combine woodland and pastures into what became known as the bocage. The production of specific goods for sale also rose tremendously, with woolen production increasing 300%, potatoes/turnips/beans/squash 170%, corn 90%, and cattle 400%.

France%20land_zpsyyzq5ma8.png

Bourbon holdings in 1750. Dark blue signifies land still owned by the King in 1750, lighter blue land sold from 1735-1750, cyan land sold from 1725-1735, and green signifies areas which retained their municipal rights despite being within the King’s demense, most importantly the citadel-city of Besancon and Paris
This massive change in the French countryside did not go unopposed. The enrichment of pseudo-bourgeois viscomtes and the growth of a kind of agrarian capitalism was deeply controversial in Burgundy, Bourbonnais, and the southwest. This was especially true in Brittany where the majority of the new landlords were from outside the Duchy, although the new estates bought away from the coast at least didn’t have the sort of absentee landlordism that the older estates posessed. Furthermore, the lack of any privileges associated with the new viscounties did not mean that these new landowners did not lord over their peasants. In fact the restriction of the ‘improvements’ to the Royal Demense was done precisely because it meant that Cantillion could sidestep or ignore the rights that many French villages claimed, and within the areas sold off nearly 500 villages and small towns were eliminated to make way for yet more pastures and corn fields, and in the three duchies where the most land was sold off, some of the taxes were used to fund a larger Royal Police force to defend against the constant threat of revolt and the legions of brigands created by the displacement of nearly a million men and women. Furthermore this continued the trend towards massive country estates held by the ‘lower’ nobility which produced massive fortunes, a trend which frustrated the increasingly irrelevant ‘older’ aristocracy, who had little but their incredibly expensive contacts in the court to their name.

This was only one facet of Cantillion’s newfound power. His control of Versailles also placed him in control of patronage positions including authority over nearly half of France’s ‘royal’ clergymen. He began using this power as soon as he gained the position, but when the debt was payed down to an acceptable level in 1730, he began using the Church to pursue the other major dream of Enlightenment philosophes all around France: the spread of literacy. This was combined with--Prof I’m tired and I want to go to the protest tonight. I’ll finish the part about the expansion of religious schooling tomorrow night. See you before class, would eleven work?-Brideau

The next day Robb was so tired his bones hurt, sitting in his office as the day felt painfully stretched. He’d fallen asleep when Judy ran into his office. “Did you hear?”

“Hear what?” Robb grumbled, looking at his clock. Eleven thirty. Brideau had missed the appointment and Robb had class soon. He got up and started getting ready, putting on his jacket and nearly walking by Judy, who hadn’t said a thing and was, he saw now, softly weeping. “Hear what, Judy?”

“The police...the protest...they...Francis is dead”