• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Week 33/4 - Op Bernard & Op Tannnberg
Week 33/4 - Op Bernard & Op Tannnberg

So our first two-op day in quite a while, only possible because of Scythe given Khepri is still not cleared back for combat. Turns out House Liao had a couple of contracts going begging that attracted by attention. One was for a big job - going to hunt down a local government lance and potentially take out any reinforcements. The second was smaller - free a House Liao agent that had been picked up by the locals, light opposition expected.

The smaller job happened first - Scythe took out Kestrel for her first deployment, with Courser in Iron Jay, Cruise in Lady V, and Rifle leading the charge in Sunrise. The OpFor was a light lance, and truth be told didn't cause them much in the way of trouble. Sunrise took a few internals from a Jenner, but there was no real danger by all accounts. A good first outing for the newbie, who handled himself pretty well as these things go.

That was Operation Bernard. Operation Tannenberg was a wee bit more interesting.

Of course, the intel provided told us to expect reinforcements, and that we might be facing heavy opposition, so we took an appropriate lance. I went out in Spots, Frost in Slaserstarter, and then I asked Graceland to go out in our Gnat with Warlord helming Gwennie. You might call it the missile lance (well, except for Slaserstarter of course).

The initial opposition was a trio: a Commando -1B, a Blackjack -1, and a Grasshopper -5H. We took out the Commando afore it even got a shot off, and the Blackjack didn't last much longer - but then the locals dropped another three mech lance in a Spider, a Blackjack -1DB, and a Quickdraw -5A. The Spider we wasted, and we dismantled the Blackjack - and then a third three mech lance dropped with a Locust, a Trebuchet, and another Quickdraw.

By this time we had taken quite a few hits ourselves - but only a handful of internals on the Gnat's empty arm. Spots was running very hot and I had gotten myself in a flanking position - I had let a folley right up the backside of the first Quickdraw. Of course, flanking can also mean isolated. Darius by this time was freaking out - saying we ought to cut and run. I told Sumire to cut his comms. Frost was, well, frosty, and showed it be waltzing right up to that Grasshopper and start to tear one side open. Warlord and Graceland ... well there were a mite more human and nervous, but focused. We blew off one side of the Grasshopper, which then nearly punched its way through Slaserstarter front to back.

Frost's response to this was to opine how her mech's heat problems was going to resolve itself soon on account of the great big bloody massive hole in its centre torso. Graceland, further back, thought she could see daylight out the other side. Frost was all for playing the odds, but I ordered her to jump out. She did - and only harrassed a little with her medium laser after that. The three of us managed to finish wrecking the Grasshopper though and then took down the first Quickdraw.

That third lance ... the third lance had its problems. Well, for one they did diddly-squat. Just walked around the place. We later learned they were somehow remote-controlled, only whatever foolish system they had it place stopped being able to target anything. This we had these three mechs lumbering around just waiting to be shot. Which we did, and took home a hefty bonus for doing so, but it weren't as much fun. When that third lance dropped I was actually a little concerned, but the end of it I was irked.

I prioritised what was left of the Grasshopper and the two Quickdraws. Not enough for Yang to reconstruct of course, but he reckons he's close with the Quickdraw. But I think we'll be moving on from here. Not sure where to as yet. There's a potential job in Liu's Revenge, but we'll see. Oh, and Yang is bringing the Refit Harness equipment in the Mechbay back online. Figure that would be handy.

Its in the bottom right of your posts. Gives a full list of them through the threadmarks.

And yes about heavies. My 1st heavy was a Dragon... The thing was worst than the Shadow Hawk i started with.

Sadly, this Quickdraw you´re about to build is overengined as well...

Its in the bottom right of your posts. Gives a full list of them through the threadmarks.

And yes about heavies. My 1st heavy was a Dragon... The thing was worst than the Shadow Hawk i started with.

Your post here sparked what I think will be a very fun and exciting thread: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...tech-value-to-over-engined-battlemechs.1307133/

BATTLETECH has all manner of levers to reach to. Surely there must be something in BATTLETECH already that could breath some Big and Stompy LIFE into an Over-Engined BattleMech.

Ah right, yes threadmarks are a very useful feature. So much better than the manual index pages we used to have to maintain (if we could be bothered) before threadmarks were a thing.

Yeah, sad to say that unless you spring one of those 'mechs "early" it also seems like a disappointment.

Your post here sparked what I think will be a very fun and exciting thread: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/“embrace-the-challenge”-how-best-to-add-battletech-value-to-over-engined-battlemechs.1307133/

BATTLETECH has all manner of levers to reach to. Surely there must be something in BATTLETECH already that could breath some Big and Stompy LIFE into an Over-Engined BattleMech.
Neat idea PH. I think the state of these mechs is the area where Battletech struggles most (well, apart from AI - but then everygame could improve its AI). I mean, in the Restoriation campaign Sibyl's clapped out Quickdraw on Axylus is the first time you encounter such a heavy, and I think - for me - the last time I ever felt mildly in awe of a mech like that in this game. Even in its decrepit state. Nowadays ... not so much.

Week 35/4 - Op Fulmar & Op Iago
Week 35/4 - Op Fulmar & Op Iago

So here we are in Liu's Memory, and I am in medbay again. At least I have company - Frost is in here with me. I suppose we shall have a few "girl nights in" for the next fortnight or so. Blasted luck of it all!

So we lined up two jobs. The first (Op Fulmar) was a simple jailbreak. I let Khepri drop in Clawsome, with Scythe taking out Kestrel again, Cruise in Sunrise and Courser in Iron Jay. Pretty simple op all told, from what I can tell. The only problem was the fight got constricted int this really small area. Our guys approached up a rise, with a massive rocky ridge towring above their left, that otherwise blocked their access to the facility. Made it an obvious place for the OpFor to defend, and defend they did. Not well enough, but both Clawsome and Iron Jay picked up a few internals in the brawl that followed. Did get a good report on Scythe though.

The second job (Op Iago) was simpler - a standard "go and fight this group of mechs" on behalf of the Mariks. The OpFor, like the jailbreak mission, was a group of locals. I went out in Spots again, Frost in Slaserstarter, Graceland in Gwennie, and I let Warlord take out Lord E again. We've been operating as a pretty neat team, and I wanted to see if we kept doing so.

We did ... but ....

Well, first off we made contact with our target lance - a light lance consisting of a Panther, Spider, Locust, and a Javelin. Nothing special, but it turned out they had backup in the form of a Griffin -1N and three Locust -1Ms. And the backup lance had a very happy time piling in the LRMs from afar whilst we were busy tidying up the first lance. Which we did - though Frost got a solid shot to the cockpit courtesy of that Locust -1E. She's got some pretty nasty burns - rahter her than me.

We then moved up to take out the backups, and I was getting stuck into the Griffin when I got hit by two salvos from a Locust on a ridgeline that buffetted me about the cockpit pretty bad and broke both my legs. Had my revenge though, as after we downed all his colleagues I got up close and unleased a full 18SRM salvo at him, that ripped and shredded his mech into so much shrapnel.

Look to be two more promised contracts here, for Liao and the Canopians. The two seem to be engaged in a bit of a shadow war, and I figure we could play both sides. Was hoping to do it on the same day, with both Frost and I out, and four mechs in total suffering damage - albeit entirely light scrapes - probably not possible. I mean, we could hire someone, and we probably should, but it might just be better to play safe.

Right, I need some more pain relief.

Week 35/5 Op Saigon & Week 35/6 Op Shamrock
Week 35/5 Op Saigon & Week 35/6 Op Shamrock

Well Frost and I have some extra company.

So yesterday I sent the guys (in this case Scythe, Courser, Rifle, and Cruise) down on a job for the Capellans, clearing out a Magistracy partial lance. Seems the Magistracy and Liao have been having a bit of a shadow war here. Anyways, I wanted to make sure Scythe got more experience. Stuck her in the repaired Slaserstarter. The OpFor turned out to be three beat-up mediums, and by the sounds of it from up in the Argo they weren't too much trouble - a Blackjack - 1DB, Hunchback -4P, and a Wolverine -6K. The Hunchback did get a full laser salvo off against Scythe, but the armour held we took them down without issue. All round a good op.

Today, well today it was the turn of the Magistracy to employ us, against the Caps. Remarkably similar tactical situation - a partial poor-condition lance. In this case two Thunderbolts, a -5S and a -5SS. We dropped with Scythe against in Slaserstarter, Khepri in Spots, and this time Warlord and Graceland went out in Lord E and Gwennie respectively. They stuck to a wooded hillside providing pretty mean covering fire whilst Scythe and Khepri did the close in work. For just about the first time I had us take this job for the minimum C-Bill amount - wanted to generate some goodwill with the ladies of Canopus, though I did later get a bitter message from the Liao agent saying we shouldn't forget our friends.

To be honest this wasn't that much of a fight either - the two Liao pilots were clear exhausted and their mechs showed quite a bit of external damage as was. We made more - quite a lot more. But they still had some fight in them, and both Scythe and Khepri took shots to the cockpit. Scythe was buffeted by a missile, whilst Khepri got cooked by a Flamer. We were trying to disable the -5S, but the ammo exploded and that was that. We took what was left of both Thunderbolts, but that isn't saying much.

So the medbay consists of me, Frost, Khepri and Scythe. What a lovely little company we make. I've decided we're heading out of here, going to Cluff's Stand. Should be about a two-week trip, hopefully long enough to get us all back on our feet.

Week 37/7 - Operation Sinope & Operation Durable
Week 37/7 - Operation Sinope & Operation Durable

So, Cluff's Stand. Must say it was a little disconcerting with in a few hours of undocking from the JumpShip getting a message from our old friend Ser Brindemo, apparently here overseeing a Capellan effort against the locals. Even before him though I was looking over a proposal by some local crooks who had a good old-fashioned heist on the cards. Well, the work for Liao promised to have further contracts, and the Ser Brindemo's first contract seemed simple enough. The heist was a bit more ambitious, but I thought we could pull both off at the same time.

Operation Sinope was what I termed our first Capellan outing here, and I sent out Courser in Iron Jay, Scythe in Kestrel, Rifle in Gnatapult, and Cruise in Sunrise. The job was to "rescue" a Capellan agent whom the Liaos thought might be a double-agent. Something was certainly up, as the locals had a lance of a Phoenix Hawk, a Blackjack -1DB, and a Shadowhawk -2D guarding the facility where this agent was holed up. I'm told the fight itself was simple enough, but Iron Jay took a few internals when the Shadowhawk connected its fist to Iron Jay's torso. Sunrise also took a scratch to the arm from the Blackjack. Annoying, but hardly life-threatening in either case.

Operation Durable, as mentioned afore, a different sort of job. The pirates wanted to get their hands on a local Demolisher. Bit unspecific as to why of course. It was hoped we might manage to secure the area it was being stored, but we figured the local shuttleport would be guarded and reinforcements woudl be eager. We took out Frost in Slaserstarter, myself in Spots, Graceland in Gwennie, and Warlord in Lord E. Well, securing the Demolisher was pretty easy - the pirates also grabbed a Striker and two SRM Carriers, and then we barrelled out.

The Striker, somewhat stupidly given how little maintanance the locals had been doing on these vehicles, tried to take point with us. I wonder if the crew were trying a double-cross. Anyways, we soon tumbled into the shuttleport guarding lance - two Locust -1Ms on a forested ridgeline, and Griffin -1N and a Trebuchet blocking the road. First job was taking out the Locusts, not afore one of them got a salvo on the Striker. Meanwhile we kept the Griffin and Trebuchet busy - though Spots took a fair pounding front and back, and Slaserstarter took some damage when the Griffin kicked through its leg armour. Them finally dealt with we moved onto the shuttleport itself, and into a reinforcing lance of a Locust -1E, a Shadowhawk -2D, and a Thunderbolt -5SE.

Unfortunately this was it for the striker - the Shadowhawk took it out afore we could do anything. That went out bonus. Fortunately the Demolisher and two SRM Carriers were a ways to the rear and safe. Frost knocked the Locust off its feet, and then we all piled into the Shadowhawk, with the odd shot at the Thunderbolt it keep its attention. Spots took some more hits, and eventually a few internals in a hand. Graceland ended up killing the Locust, coring it out with a Large Laser. We ended up disabling the Shadowhawk - later reported the pilot was knocked unconscious by scatter from Lord E's LBX-10. We hoped to do the same to the Thunderbolt - but its core ended up eating too many of my SRMs.

So we end up with four mechs all with minor damage. No injuries though. Not sure who we'll get repaired for the next drop. We'll manage to get a fully working Shadowhawk though when Yang is gone rifling through the salvage. Told him to store it in the hold for now, but on our next jump I'll have him bring it out to the light of day. In sheer mass we could probably make a Thunderbolt now - only problen is our parts are from three different and (Yang tells me) incompatible variants. Which sucks.

I knew I had been absent from the forums lately, and this was only reinforced when I saw in your signature that you had a BattleTech AAR! This has been an interesting little read- the Silver Daggers do seem to be doing well so far.

So I have had various ups and downs over the last two months - before one starts to consider the current contretemps - I have let this lie fallow. I haven't logged into the game at all in that period. My notebook still shows my entry for Operations Sinope & Durable above with no new entries.

We shall see what results.

Our various Muses have rhythms all their own. When the time is tight, I have no doubt that the storytelling will flow. : )

Thank you both.

I launched just into a random skirmish today to try and remember the basics of the game ... and got taken to the cleaners :)

Thank you both.

I launched just into a random skirmish today to try and remember the basics of the game ... and got taken to the cleaners :)
Sometimes we get the Bull....

; )

Week 38/1 - Operation Destrier
Week 38/1 - Operation Destrier

Woke up today from a set of nightmares. Something about being locked quarantined in the ship, unable to leave, having lost half the company to a set of utter defeats. Not so pleasant.

The job today was to take out a local security post. Ser Brindemo says they've found an abandoned lab from the days of around the Second Succession War. They need the regional security post taken out to delay the local planetary response to Capellan looting efforts. Well, he didn't call it looting - he said "securing our technological heritage".

We dropped with the old crew - myself in Spots, Warlord in Lord E, Graceland in Gwennie, and Rifle in Gnatapult. We circled up on the enemy based from the left, which proved fortunate. We were able to take down the entire garrison - a Jenner, Vindi VND-1R, and a Griffin-1N, and the base turrets, before any reinforcements troubled our scan. The OpFor Vindi did cause me a bit of trouble, shooting out the small building I was had jumped on. Thankfully only a couple of floors. The landing was hard, but my legs were intact. He was ontop of this great big tower. Great for shooting - but vulnerable. We couldn't actually target the git, him having stepped back along the roof, so we collapsed the entire bloody thing from under him. When we finally saw him his legs were in terrible shape - shortly after we blew them both off.

We had made ruin of half the base when those reinforcements finally did show up, a Cicada -3C, Vulcan -2T, and Centurion -9A. The Cent hung back trying to provide support with its LRMs. The Cicada we caught in a crossfire - felt sorry for the pilot in that tin can. The Vulcan was either very brave or foolish, jumping in behind me and flaming me. But only the one flamer. Warlord and I took him apart soon thereafter, and then it was onto the Cent who didn't have a chance.

Job done. Tomorrow we get to provide the security for the Capellan looters - sorry, "asset realisation team".

I'm somewhat impressed that the Silver Daggers have gone so long without any major casualties, especially this far along in their career.

(Discounting the numerous curbstomps implied in the first paragraph that technically didn't actually happen, of course...)

I'm somewhat impressed that the Silver Daggers have gone so long without any major casualties, especially this far along in their career.

(Discounting the numerous curbstomps implied in the first paragraph that technically didn't actually happen, of course...)
That's largely an artifact of me avoiding nasty contracts, and never ever punching above my weight.

That's largely an artifact of me avoiding nasty contracts, and never ever punching above my weight.
...a luxury.

“Punching above my weight...”

Yeah, I make a habit of that. : )

EDIT: And I have a high mortality rate in my FanFICTION. No coincidence there. :bow:

...a luxury.

“Punching above my weight...”

Yeah, I make a habit of that. : )

EDIT: And I have a high mortality rate in my FanFICTION. No coincidence there. :bow:
Hehe. What can I say, I like looking after my mechs? :D

In-universe I suppose one can say that Falcon's past history has made her more risk averse.

Strange, I've been having similar nightmares.