Is Stellaris a GSG or 4x for you?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ixalmaris

Banned
1 Badges
Jan 4, 2019
  • Crusader Kings II
WIthout giving an exact definition for both terms, would you rather say Stellaris is a 4x or a grand strategy game for you? Just pick what feels more correct.

Last edited:
The way I see it its a 4X. I wish it was a grand strategy where I have any other meaningful ways of interacting with my neighbours other than conquering them though ...

its an rpg, neither grand strategy nor 4x ...

for it to be a grand strategy the game lacks too much depth in too many areas that would be important for such a genre, for it to be a 4 x the game lacks too much freedom. (although lets be real here... A LOT of "4 x" games are labeled 4 x wrongly)

you are roleplaying an empire with its "skill", you "level" it up, progress, and fight a "raid" boss at the end.
i mean... there is a reason we have a CHARACTER CREATOR IN THE GAME, there is a reason it is so STORYDRIVEN

Seeing as no 4X games ever clicked with me but Stellaris did like other GS games, I'll go with it the Grand Strategy.

GSG. While the early exploring and empire expanding feels more like a 4x, the real time combat and all the economy/planet management makes it feel much more like a strategy game overall.

I'd argue it's a mix, has elements of both. I definitely play it as a 4x game and some empire types can only be played as if Stellaris is a 4x. For some empires it feels more like a GSG. The Federation DLC and 2.6 patch definitely fleshes out the GSG aspects of it without taking any 4x elements away.

4x because it has a fully randomised set up where everyone starts with one system and not an asymmetrical pre-defined set up that is the same every time.

I think it tries to be a bit of both ... and then more. At the same time, it's also less then either in some aspects.

So i would say it's quite unique :)

EDIT : to be clear, i think Stellaris is one of those games that manages to be more than the sum of it's parts, at least for players who manage to accept it's shortcomings. It has some weaknesses as either a 4X or GSG however.

GSG. When I think of 4x I have a more narrow definition in mind, think civ and amplitude studio.

What is this narrow definition? Cause when using Civ as an example for 4X, then Stellaris would fit as well.
You eXplore the space, eXpand in it, eXploit resources and eXterminate your enemies.

And an other question: What makes a strategy game a Grand Strategy Game?