• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The statistics about how many people played and which countries they played should take some of the air out of claims that "the game is dying" and "people only care about memes and turning everything into a monarchy".

Not after just a couple of days (if that long) of tracking.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I personally observed unimportant bug making Recep Peker leader and prime minister at the same time - it should be fixed.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...t-could-be-changed-in-fascist-turkey.1436502/ I still think they can make Rıza Nur the Fascist Prime Minister. Maybe make him give defence/attack bonus on core territory instead of justify war goal time too. Maybe even War support, or something releated to field hospitals (although they are useless so maybe not)

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Yup great DLC, but I will instead be commenting on the Art and Music.

First of all, the music, especially "The End of the War" is some of the best in game, up there with "The Morning of D-Day", "London in Flames", "Rise of the Axis Powers", "Empire of the Sun", "Confederate Flags", "Song for the Children of World War 2", "A Storm is Coming", and of course "Battle of Wuhan".

For the Main Menu art, its amazing. The stormy clouds call to mind the growing storm on the in game map. The coffee house in the for ground contrasts nicely with the warship in the midground and Istanbul in the background. It is really is well layered and constructed. Not to mention the scene is framed from a civilian's perspective, fitting for the largely domestic/political nature of Turkey's new focus tree. You see the modernly dressed couple but also the Blue Mosque/Hagia Sophia a symbol of the conservative past. All in all it is the best, IMO except for possibly WtT.

I would rank them as follows:

BftB
WtT
LR
Vanilla
MtG
DoD
TfV

So yeah the menu art and music get my seal of approval.

(So there is a black cat on our screen in the artwork, guess the Balkans didn't have enough misfortune naturally.)

EDIT: Grammar

Last edited:
  • 7Like
Reactions:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...t-could-be-changed-in-fascist-turkey.1436502/ I still think they can make Rıza Nur the Fascist Prime Minister. Maybe make him give defence/attack bonus on core territory instead of justify war goal time too. Maybe even War support, or something releated to field hospitals (although they are useless so maybe not)
I agree with you on Rıza Nur, he shouldn't be available to communists.
By the way Nihal Atsız is only available to Turan tag as advisor. So he exists. I think he should be unlocked after completing Turan focus, not reforming Turan.

I tried latest beta, Ottoman puppet option still acts weird, Recep Peker is still bugged? (or is it intentional to represent absolutism?)
Fahreddin Paşa is also bugged (missing portrait in chief list and his name is spelled wrong)

but I guess Atatürk is fixed now.

By the way Claudius agreement is nerfed now but it is fine.

• 3Like
Reactions:
In addition to my previous comment: I think there should be a 5th research slot for Turkey. I mean, I know you've tried to negate the -1 slot penalty with some research speed bonuses, but come on, 4 is kinda pathetic given the fact that all other countries are able to get their 5th research slot. Not only that, but Turkey gets its 4th research slot WAY DOWN in the focus tree. So you're kinda stuck with 3 slots for the first half of the game. I think this situation needs to be fixed ASAP. TBH, if you added a focus that gives a plus one research slot to Turkey, or you adjusted one that's located in the first half of the focus tree to it, that would definitely solve everything. That way Turkey gets its 5th research slot and one being early one being late, so that prevents Turkey from becoming an OP research machine.

Reactions:
In addition to my previous comment: I think there should be a 5th research slot for Turkey. I mean, I know you've tried to negate the -1 slot penalty with some research speed bonuses, but come on, 4 is kinda pathetic given the fact that all other countries are able to get their 5th research slot. Not only that, but Turkey gets its 4th research slot WAY DOWN in the focus tree. So you're kinda stuck with 3 slots for the first half of the game. I think this situation needs to be fixed ASAP. TBH, if you added a focus that gives a plus one research slot to Turkey, or you adjusted one that's located in the first half of the focus tree to it, that would definitely solve everything. That way Turkey gets its 5th research slot and one being early one being late, so that prevents Turkey from becoming an OP research machine.

They already added Turkey's fifth research slot, it's in the 1.10.2 beta, check the first pinned thread at the top.

Reactions:
Why is the lack of a Development Diary an assumption that they are not working?

You are sensitive eh? I never said they weren't working. I implied it was a different view of work. They are obviously taking a "break" from dev-diaries for a reason, we can agree on that right? What we cannot agree on - most likely - is the reason for it. I would be the one to say that they are too lazy to do them (dev-diaries) on the basis (which I did not elaborate on, forgive me) that they do not feel it is worth their time to do so and could possibly hinder their development time towards the patch and expansion. If my view is correct then I disagree with it.

You get it now? What is your reason for their break?

• 3Like
Reactions:
You are sensitive eh? I never said they weren't working. I implied it was a different view of work. They are obviously taking a "break" from dev-diaries for a reason, we can agree on that right? What we cannot agree on - most likely - is the reason for it. I would be the one to say that they are too lazy to do them (dev-diaries) on the basis (which I did not elaborate on, forgive me) that they do not feel it is worth their time to do so and could possibly hinder their development time towards the patch and expansion. If my view is correct then I disagree with it.

You get it now? What is your reason for their break?

There are all sorts of reasons that go into the decision by someone to release something on an unfinished product, and the simple "not worth their time" is a very shallow way of looking at it (and a rather odd conclusion to draw, given the numerous dev diaries we do get). For a start, something needs to be at a state of development where it's "finished enough" that it won't change too much before release. While people are told to manage their expectations, they usually don't, and so the behaviour of a portion of the fanbase makes it very difficult to release information that's too speculative, beyond the very general "possible directions forward" we get from time-to-time.

Then there are the complaints people make when the dev diaries aren't of something directly related to gameplay. PDS across a few of their games have experimented providing what information they could, only to receive a substantial amount of negative feedback. At the end of the day, a dev team isn't going to have a "clear, finished story on a particularly mechanic, piece of content or art" available each week (as best I understand it, if the content/mechanics/art was rushed that quickly, it'd likely be unplayable for lack of testing and polish), and the fanbase have given a decidedly mixed response to dev diaries that are more about the team, or research, testing and that kind of thing.

That said, there is also the issue of the amount of time dev diaries take as you raise. However, it's not lazy not to do them because of this - it's just a difference in priorities. I think the communication is great, but don't forget every hour spent on a dev diary is an hour not spent on development (and writing and proofing a dev diary, and then monitoring for comments afterwards, takes time).

Of course, I very strongly take contention with the idea that the dev team are lazy - I've been following Paradox for longer than I'd care to admit, and I've never seen anything that suggests lazy. Having to prioritise because developing a game is a complicated balance of a bunch of things? Sure - and it'd be impossible not to. But lazy? Absolutely not.

• 3Like
Reactions:
They already added Turkey's fifth research slot, it's in the 1.10.2 beta, check the first pinned thread at the top.

Yeah, once I saw your message, I immediately checked it out and I was surprised: They did it exactly the way I had wanted them to do. They've added 1 research slot into this focus,
1603473137220.png

which you can get fairly early on, now even earlier with the 35-day adjustments. So now Turkey can get its 5th slot and it's not OP, it's well done. There are lots of 35 day focuses too, so that's also good.

• 9Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
There are all sorts of reasons that go into the decision by someone to release something on an unfinished product, and the simple "not worth their time" is a very shallow way of looking at it (and a rather odd conclusion to draw, given the numerous dev diaries we do get). For a start, something needs to be at a state of development where it's "finished enough" that it won't change too much before release. While people are told to manage their expectations, they usually don't, and so the behaviour of a portion of the fanbase makes it very difficult to release information that's too speculative, beyond the very general "possible directions forward" we get from time-to-time.

Then there are the complaints people make when the dev diaries aren't of something directly related to gameplay. PDS across a few of their games have experimented providing what information they could, only to receive a substantial amount of negative feedback. At the end of the day, a dev team isn't going to have a "clear, finished story on a particularly mechanic, piece of content or art" available each week (as best I understand it, if the content/mechanics/art was rushed that quickly, it'd likely be unplayable for lack of testing and polish), and the fanbase have given a decidedly mixed response to dev diaries that are more about the team, or research, testing and that kind of thing.

That said, there is also the issue of the amount of time dev diaries take as you raise. However, it's not lazy not to do them because of this - it's just a difference in priorities. I think the communication is great, but don't forget every hour spent on a dev diary is an hour not spent on development (and writing and proofing a dev diary, and then monitoring for comments afterwards, takes time).

Of course, I very strongly take contention with the idea that the dev team are lazy - I've been following Paradox for longer than I'd care to admit, and I've never seen anything that suggests lazy. Having to prioritise because developing a game is a complicated balance of a bunch of things? Sure - and it'd be impossible not to. But lazy? Absolutely not.

Then I am wrong. Laziness has nothing to do with this if you are correct regarding the previous attempts made. It is a shame that previous experiments of providing weekly feedback via a "Dev-Diary" did not work out. I do not recall this myself (I have been also following Paradox for far too long) but it is indeed a shame. That being said I disagree with your premise on what a Dev-Diary is. To me it is a means of communication and interaction between the developers and the playerbase. It does not need to be a "clear, finished story on a particularly mechanic, piece of content or art". It can be a short update on player telemetry changes over the past month. It can be a look into the underlying code of the game and how they are addressing performance and stability issues. It can be an update to what changes are going on in the office environment that affect the developers workload and focus. It does not have to be only focused on the next DLC or game changing feature. Also, you say, "...a rather odd conclusion to draw, given the numerous dev diaries we do get". As I previously mentioned, we have not been getting a significant amount of Dev-Diaries at all as of late therefore I cannot agree with your conclusion to my own.

The HOI4 community does nothing except add to the HOI4 experience. I know of no other forum where people discuss so much about a game they love except for other Paradox titles. We all care about this game, deeply. HOI4 is more than just a game, it is a community. We need more interaction, not less. This is why I feel so strongly for the dev-diaries. Perhaps we can experiment with them again, by a different name, leaving the term "Dev-Diary" for the DLC and patch updates alone.

• 3Like
Reactions:
It can be a short update on player telemetry changes over the past month. It can be a look into the underlying code of the game and how they are addressing performance and stability issues. It can be an update to what changes are going on in the office environment that affect the developers workload and focus.

This is exactly the kind of thing that's been tried in the past (other than month-to-month telemetry, which I suspect doesn't change a lot outside of new releases) and didn't get a great response. I enjoy that kind of material as well, but for whatever reason there are a large enough proportion of fans that didn't (and this seems to be the case across all of Paradox's titles - they tried something like this in Stellaris, I think, fairly recently) that it was decided to steer clear of it. Going from (somewhat unreliable) memory, the "meet the team" style DDs are the only non-feature/content (incl. art and music)/telemetry/future plans related DDs that tend to get received well (and one can only meet the team so often!)

I totally agree it'd be nice to have, and I'd very much enjoy reading it as well, but I can understand why it doesn't happen.

In terms of the number of DDs, going from the HoI4 Wiki, we've had 23 so far this year ( https://hoi4.paradoxwikis.com/Developer_diaries - note the one hidden in the DoD list). Thus the team are averaging a little over one DD every two weeks (or, given they tend to do stints of weekly DDs, about half the year so far with DDs, and about half the year so far without).

However, it turns out that this year has been a bit lighter on DDs than years past - going through that list, we have:

2019 - 38
2018 - 39
2017 - 39
2016 - 48 (although, given 2016 was the launch year, this and previous years aren't really comparable with 2017 onwards)
2015 - 27
2014 - 11

Even if the dev team started doing weekly diaries this week, and continued them through to the end of the year (unlikely, given holidays around the time of Christmas), they'd still hit noticeably less than 2017, 2018 or 2019, so I understand where you're coming from in terms of feeling there were fewer this year (as there have been, by a significant factor, and there's not enough time left in the year for this to change). I don't think for a second this is because the devs are lazy, but it may mean there's a shift in the approach to communication (less dev diaries per amount of content), or that the schedule of development has meant there's been less to talk about (ie, less content at a dev-diary-ready state) than in previous years, or something else that hasn't come to mind.

Short answer, though, is that your feeling that we've had less DDs this year isn't wrong - sorry about that. Now you have the numbers to prove it :)

• 3Like
Reactions:
Called it, baby! The USSR is getting the long overdue update, with Trotsky, Kerensky, and Kirill ready to seize power! I expect Poland to be included, with the possible addition of Finland, and perhaps all of Scandinavia.

Of course, it's never just one major power, and calling Poland a major is a bit ambitious, so I still have hopes for Italy getting included, with an "Oppose Mussolini" path leading to either the King taking power, or Balbo returning to his republican roots.

Regardless, I'm psyched!

• 1Love
Reactions:
Cheers for the DD Archangel, and many thanks to all involved in making the Battle for the Bosporus, I've been having a blast :) On my third game as Bulgaria, as I'm playing with historical focuses off, and in the first game I had fun with the internal side of things, but externally Germany ROFLstomped everyone, and I was playing democratic, so there wasn't much to do beyond play it safe or get smashed (it was still interesting getting to know the focus tree :) ). In the second, far more interesting game I built an elite ARM/MEC force of four divs to help the USSR as volunteers which I managed to get surrounded and cut off, and then destroyed less than 24 hours before the USSR capitulated (I'll be dark about that for a while, lol, noting that it was entirely my fault and due to poor situational awareness) and then over a number of years built up an elite ARM/MEC force of 23 divisions to take on Italy (Pact of Rome had formed, so there was a teensy-tiny chance for Bulgaria to roll Italy, build up, and roll Germany*), only for 19 of those division to be cut off and wiped out. Needless to say, I'm not the least bit in doubt as to the weaknesses in my playstyle at the moment!

The Bulgarian tree is a lot of fun, with a lot to learn for future playthroughs (to send volunteers to the SCW, one has to re-arm (to get the manpower for the SCW focus), which means one needs to either be able to successfully pressure the UK (I have no idea how successful, so didn't try) or get a non-aggression pact with Yugoslavia, which is a fair way down the political path, requiring some careful NF management to get it done before the SCW is done and dusted one way or the other (I was successful on my third attempt, so hopefully will now have the size of volunteer forces required to help prevent the Soviet Union collapsing). All very good fun, and lots to love :)

* Taking advantage of the AI's aversion to modern armoured/mechanised divisions - a better optimised AI force composition in 1947 would have left me all at sea.

So brutal, posting something like this on hump day.

This is a bit of a stretch (but also on theme, as the only pic I could find of a camel being shipped at short notice was from 1915), but here's a camel taking to the waves about a transport ship (Copyright Alamy and all that) :)

View attachment 644737
Weren't camels known as the Ships of the Desert, at one point? I seem to remember that being the reason why towers hurt them so badly in Age of Empires II, because they were technically classified as ships.

Reactions:
I tried to play the beta version, 1.10.2, but it says the executable file doesn't start.
I am playing on a Mac, and see the executable file to be .exe, which is obviously a Windows file.
When will the Mac version be released? Or if it cannot, when will the 1.10.2 version be released?
I like the game a lot, but the slowness of the Ottoman path makes it less entertaining.