• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Let them keep Manila!

... that way you have something still to take the next time they declare colonial war on you! :D

Rensslaer

p.s. Oh, and yes... By my accounting, there are now 5 AARs using the Rensselaer name! And only two of them are mine! :rofl: I think that's quite funny.

Oranje V, Stnylan, Coz1, Rens, Ghostwriter and BBBD. Thanks for your comments.

Hope you all continue to enjoy the story.

A tale of two cities

Kampung Nusajaya ( kampung = village)
Rakata, Dutch East Indies

Bambang Puriyotono likes to sit idle on top of the cliff admiring the sight of gigantic waves smashing onto the rocky beach. Occasionally he would wave at the Dutch merchants ships sailing through Sunda strait to Europe bringing with them all those precious goods that Mr.Hendrix told him are essential for the growth of the Empire.

Mr.Hendrix, the local parish teacher has told him and the class that they are all very blessed to be governed by the Dutch. Mr.Hendrix always likes to say the Dutch will educate the locals while the English over in Malaya peninsula would works the local to death.

For an eight year old, Bambang has no idea where is Malaya peninsula, in fact he doesn’t even know what else exist outside his small kampung. He was born to be a fisherman and that all he wanted to be since he was born, until the day Mr.Hendrix arrived at their village.

Mr.Hendrix told Bambang, he was sent to Rakata by the government to educate children like him. Confused and scared at first, Bambang soon learn to enjoy the daily classes conducted by Mr.Hendrix. In Bambang’s mind, his teacher is the smartest man in the village, not only can he speak their dialect (although with a strange ascent) he can also understand and talk in some other languages.

Mr.Hendrix will always start his class by saying some prayers to his god by the name of ‘Jesus’. Bambang doesn’t really understand who is this ‘Jesus’ but it does not bother him. He always cannot wait for the class to start.

Besides telling the class about flowers and birds, Mr.Hendrix would teach the young children the command and usage of Dutch language. Mr.Hendrix, obviously noted the intelligence and enthusiasms of young Bambang, once told him quietly that if he continues his progress one day, Mr.Hendrix would bring him to the capital of Enlightment, Amsterdam.

From the classes, Bambang learned that the might Dutch empire have colonies in Caribbean, South America, North Africa, Borneo, Southern Philippines, Java, Sumatra and thousand and thousand of islands around Rakata. Of course Bambang have no idea where are all these places until one day Mr.Hendrix brought a map to the class and shows it to him.

Young Bambang was stunned that the world he knows, Rakata was all but a tiny dot in the world. Mr. Hendrix also told the class that the Dutch government has laid a lot of railway tracks across the empire, including here in Rakata. Of course, Mr. Hendrix says it cost a lot of monies but he also says the government always has her people welfare at heart.

Looking around now, Bambang too feels a great sense of pride as new colonial buildings are erected in the village. Unlike his grandfather who thinks these fair-skinned people are soldiers of devil, Bambang feel the Dutch are their guardian angel.

From that moment on, Bambang would have only one ambition. No, he no longer wants to be a fisherman like his father or his father before him. No, all he wants know is to be a soldier for the great Dutch Empire.

Fez, Morocco

Iqbal Ibrahim led his 10-year old-son Hassan, past a new brothel by the main street. Scantly dressed women stand outside the parlor, soliciting men of all ages and race. A young Arab no more than 16 years old was seen marching into the brother with a bottle in his hand. Iqbal shakes his head as he witness yet another sign of moral decay in his beloved hometown.

Things are not always like this. Before the Dutch occupied the Kingdom of Morocco, this used to be a place of worship and law-abiding society. The Dutch people may have induced prosperity in Morocco by introducing new agricultural methods and extensive railways tracks laying but in the same breath, the Dutch also brought with them their liberal and western way of living which contrast sharply with the teaching of Allah.

Iqbal and Hassan arrived at their destination just before noon. Sweats started to fall as they open the door of the Dutch North Africa Bank.

The manager of the bank was a white bald man with a trim moustache. Iqbal converses with him in Dutch, a language he quickly pick-up when the Dutch occupied his beloved country.

“ I am sorry, Mr.Iqbal”, the manager says before he continues “ but our Bank simply could not extend further credit to your vineyard”.

“ But Sir, check my record, my installment payments are always on time. In fact this is the first time in five years that I have not made payment on time. Surely you understand the circumstances event is out of my hand”.

The manager nodded silently. Indeed, the Arab in front of him is one of the most enterprising landowners he has ever had the pleasure to do business with. Six years ago, Iqbal was astute enough to know the age of olive has gone and past and when the Dutch introduce grape growing as an alternative to olive farm, Iqbal has been the first to join the bandwagon. He mortgaged his 3 generations passed down olive farm and converted it into a first-class vineyard with the help of some experts he brought in from France and Italy.

Iqbal business grows and soon he took out a bigger mortgage to buy out his neighbour as well. All seems to go well for Iqbal but destiny has other plans for him. Six months ago, an unknown fire burns down a great part of his vineyard and the Bank has just recently served him a foreclosure notice.

An emotional Iqbal pleads “Sir, all I ask is another six-months, then I will have enough funds to pay the Bank, the second batch of grapes are ready for picking, you can see that for yourselves, please retract the notice. Don’t take my land away, that all we have”, whilst reaching to grab the hand of the Dutchman.

The kind manager wanted to say yes but he looks up and saw the large portrait of the Director-General and remembered his strict instruction. “By all means, must get our hand on all profitable businesses in Morocco, except if they are already ours.”

“I am truly sorry, Iqbal. There is nothing I can do. If you don’t pay up by end of this month, the Bank will exercise its right of foreclosure against your vineyard and… you will be made a bankrupt”, a genuine sorry sound manager replied”.

A now tearful Iqbal swears at the manager in Arab before dragging young Hassan out of the bank. The manager pretends not to understand what he just heard.

Hassan doesn’t understand words like foreclosure or bankruptcy or what has transpired but he does know his father has been hurt by the white people.

From that moment on, Hassan would have only one ambition. No, he no longer wants to be a farmer like his father or his father before him. No, all he wants know is to be a soldier, a soldier to fight the imperialistic Netherlands.

Usurers! Damn Usurers!! Burn in the pits of Hell!!! Be tormented by the money you so desire.

Great update Prussiablue, I think you can tell which of our two young heroes I will be going for.

Very effective post, showing the two sides of Empire, mirroring each other. Well done.

The young padawans experience the mechanics of the Dutch Empire.

I am afraid young Hassan will be coming back in the future, not so happely. But Bambang will stop him from doing anything, -> great build up of the story.

Will the two young lads face each other at some point, I wonder. Very nice showing how the Dutch imperialism effects each of the regions.

Nice update, interesting to see the views of different people from different parts of the Empire and their views of their Dutch overlords :) So I take it Morocco is perhaps a bit more rebellious than Rakata? Anyway we all know that only way to treat rebels are to crush them so that is what you should do should they start distrusting their great Dutch overlords :D

BBBD - I know BBBD, you always roots for the underdogs and the oppressed. :D

Stynlan - Thank you, Stynlan, I always appreciate your comment. Yes, it is supposed to show the readers the sentiments of the colonies in the Empire. But there is more. The year is now 1857/58, surely the current key characters cannot last until the end. So this is also an introduction of possible future characters that will play their part in the story in time to come.

Oranje Verzet - Looks like not only the characters in the story is taking side but also the readers. Look out BBBD!!! ;)

Coz1- Thanks for your kind comment as usual. Maybe they will meet..maybe.

Lord E - Yes, the Arabs are a bit problematic now. But I assure you this problem will works to the advantage of the story.

Thank you all for your kind comments. This writAAR truly appreciates it.

The Meeting By The Pier

It was a short journey from the city hall to the little suburb town of El Morro by the tip of San Juan.

Simon has received this unusual rendezvous request just before he left the hotel this morning. He has a rough idea the purpose and importance of this meeting but was nevertheless overwhelmed by the effort his compatriot is willing to put in as to keep this meeting as discreet as possible.

He really enjoys the fine weather here and this has an effect on his mood. He was far more relaxed and gay then his usual-self but obviously not generous enough to the Spaniards a few minutes ago.

He approaches the gazebo by the pier. This was the meeting point but his colleague was nowhere to be seen. He was beginning to doubt the sincerity of this meeting when a voice from behind reassured his mind.

“ Sorry, Simon, was just helping the kids out there with the crabs”.

Simon turns and saw Jan Krompkamp approaching the gazebo with his sleeve all rolled-up. “Your prerogative” an icy-looked Simon replied.

Both men took their seat inside the gazebo. A few moments of silence followed before Jan asks “So, how was the peace negotiation with the Spaniard, did you get what you came for?”

“Yes, maybe”, a reluctant Simon said. “Surely you do not travel half way across the world to ask me something you could have read in the Amsterdam Post tomorrow?

“Fine. No small talk, straight to the point then. I plan to challenge the Prime Minister for the leadership of the party next year and I need your support”.

Jan waited for a reply but none was forthcoming and he continues, “ I truly believe with your support and endorsement, I will have a serious chance of dislodging that old fool”.

“Two questions, why me and why should I support you?”

“Good questions. Why you? Well obviously because of your credential and standing in the party. You are the Foreign Minister and you are not the President’s man. In fact I have observe, you are sort of a lone ranger here”.

“ Fair enough. But why should I support you and not the other way around. As you put it so eloquently, although I am technically younger than you in age but I am more senior than you in the party hierarchy. Furthermore I am the current Foreign Minister, a cabinet member while you hold no government post and is nothing but a hot-shot”.

Jan pretends not to hear the last word. “You want to know why Simon. Fine I will tell you why. Because I have the prospect of winning while you have none. Brutal as this might sound but this is a fact you must wake up to. You have no firm grassroots support. Yes, you are still the Foreign Minister but for how long. Surely you are not oblivious to the effort of the PM to groom his nephew to take over ‘your’ ministry. In fact I am sure after the next election, there would be a cabinet reshuffle and would you dare to bet with me that your name would not be on the cabinet list?

Simon wanted to rebut but words just couldn’t come out of his mouth. Jan spares him that embarrassment by continuing saying “Nobody really likes you Simon, at least for now. Granted you are truly a smart lad, but you have a serious attitude problem. You cannot connect with the other member of the party especially those whom are going to decide the fate of the party. I on the other hand, possess no demerit that you bring along. Surely, you cannot deny that I am the party man. I have work tirelessly for the last few years gathering support for myself. I have the resources, in terms of monies and man. All I need is a running mate and an endorsement as you rightly put it from a senior member of the party and government. And that mate, is you Simon.

Simon stood up and walks towards the direction of the pier trying to gather his thought and composure. What Krompkamp has said was not pleasant and of course hurtful but it is also a long self-denial truth. At times, he himself questions himself where does his future go from here. Has Krompkamp provided the answer to this question?

Suddenly Simon turns and poses a question to Jan. “ Do you hate the Belgian? Why do you oppose the alliance?”

A laughter burst out before the boyish ex-Commerce Director of nVOC replies, “ Simon, you still don’t get it do you? I am a politician and hopefully a statesman in the future as well. Do you know what is the difference between a statesman and a politician?” The rhetoric question was answered by Jan himself “A statesman is someone who try to govern the country with his set of belief while a politician is someone who try to convince those that let him to govern that he shares their belief”.

“We have two masks. We just need to know when to put on which. I have absolutely no grudges against the Belgian. But the sentiment at this prevailing time held by the masses is that the Belgian are traitors and has shame us Dutchman. So I put on my politician mask and ‘con’ them that I am one of them. As they said the rest is history”.

“ Have you got no principle?”

“Of course” a triumphant looking Jan replies “ My principle is never to be stubborn”.

“Simon you have certain knowledge and experience that eluded me. Together we can only taste success and victory. I won’t try to tempt you with wealth for I know that does not interest you but power, you want that don’t you? Come join me, I can teach you more things than you can ever learn in your lifetime”. Jan put his arm on the Simon’s shoulder. “After all, I can be on the top for so long, you know. Someone got to take over someday”.

Simon felt a chill as though the devil himself has spoken. He pulls away from Jan Krompkamp’s arm and start walking to his carriage. “ I’ll think about it”.

A sly looking Jan replies, “Fair, but don’t take too long”.

Wow i really felt chills reading about Jan's retoric. Like you put it the devil himself is talking, sneaky bastard.

He is almost openly manipulating Simon into his side. Simon was a bit of an idiot, but at least he has values. JK seems to have none and maybe will have a more dangerous secret agenda no one knows.

So Jan is taking the Koorne route, so to speak - trying to manuever Simon over to his side. Interesting. I think Simon should take the deal.

A rather cold-blooded Jan I feel, reptilian. Simon would be a fool to trust him, and an even larger fool not to take the opportunity, though I do not envy him the ride.

Well Jan certainly fooled me, I thought he was a bit ruthless, but so cold and amoral!

Great update, I hope the majority of your characters live long lives and enjoy their time before hell takes them all. ;)

Thanks for all your comments.

Oranje Verzet - Sorry to disappoint you. It seems that Simon too is figthing for his survival.

rule_brittania - Thanks. Hope you will stick around.

Mettermrck - A kind comment from the master. Appreciated.

Coz1 & Stnylan - As usual both of you are spot on. No much of a choice there for Simon. Still he harbour great political ambition.

BBBD - Will try to keep them alive..

Let The Race Begin

The Conservative Party is the oldest existing political party in Netherlands. The party draws its strength from members whom are generally in a political lingo, more right than left..

The party advocates free trade and is determined to keep the voting power with the landed owner only thus alienating those on the bottom of the economic food chain. As the Netherlands practices a constitutional monarchy system, the ruling monarch may reign but she does not rule. The Regina importance or function is to be the figurehead of the country, a sort of unification symbol. In some countries that adhere to the same political system, certain monarch may exercise greater influence that exceeded his or her constitutional defined role but here in Netherlands, Queen Wilhelmina understands her role perfectly well and is more than willing to surrender the power to rule to the Parliament. After all it’s the Parliament that saved her father and preserved the House of Orange’s status today after the Belgium fiasco.

The infant queen is currently assisted by the regent, her uncle Duke of Nassau in exercising her constitutional bound duties. These includes opening the new Parliament session and of course, more importantly appointing a new ruling government.

As far as the situation of the Dutch political landscape is concern, there is really only one clear picture. The conservatives are going to win; the only question is the margin of victory. With that in mind, it would not be erroneous to say that the Prime Minister of the country in not elected from the national election but more correctly from the internal party election.

With such high stakes in place, it is no wonder that the media have been placing full attention and coverage to the run-up of the first challenge to the party leadership in the history of the Conservatives Party.

It all broke out at the press conference held in the grandest hotel in Amsterdam, 2 weeks ago. Up and coming politician Jan Krompkamp, the former Commerce-Director of nVOC announces before the press his intention to challenge the party president, the current Prime Minister in the party election next month. Rumours have been circulating in town for weeks that Krompkamp, the boyish and charming leader from Rotterdam is preparing to fight for a post in the party election. Few have expected he would go for the big one, after all fighting an incumbent is always an uphill task no less if he also happens to be the Prime Minister of the country!!

If the reporters at the conference were surprised by this announcement, they were further shocked by the presence of Simon Blays, sitting next to Krompkamp.

Obviously an endorsement to Krompkamp, the current Foreign Minister says ‘ While some of you may think that I have committed a political sin by endorsing the challenger to the Prime Minister, let me put the record straight. I treasure the party as I cherish my country. I have been in the administration for so long that I have the first hand knowledge of the certain things that could have being done better. As a ‘senior’ member of the cabinet and party, I would have abandon the trust and obligation placed in me not only by the delegates in the party but even more seriously by the people of our great empire should I decides to keep my silence. I have known Jan for quite sometimes now and he has impressed me with his caliber and determination to make our empire greater as she search for her place under the sun. Obviously as you can see here, I am not alone in this journey. My fellow colleagues, the learned Minister of Finance and Minister of Research and Education also share Jan’s Vision of a greater Netherlands”.

Over the past few weeks, the Prime Minister continue to maintain an aloft position, confidently telling the press, he shall still be calling Mr.Krompkamp a junior member of the party after the election whilst in no doubt hinting a possible cabinet reshuffle after the election. To further add fuel to the fire, the distinguished DG of the nVOC has openly endorsed his support to the Prime Minister, citing him as a man of honour and a political ‘winner’ unlike his less illustrious and inexperience opponent.

Jan counter the Prime Minister by criticizing him for getting into a soft alliance with Belgium and not doing enough to industrialize the country to keep pace with other great nations. “We are still exporting dye from Sumatra whilst buying shirt from Britain at a price ten-fold. Our businessman deserves better support from the government”, he once said in a dinner attended by thousands of the party members.

Against the might and full machinery of the party leader, Jan Krompkamp may have taken the greatest gamble of his life. Just one week before the election, the neutral and highly respectable Amsterdam Post has called the election, ‘the most intense election ever’ and declared the election too close to call.

As Simon read the passage, he wondered whether he has sided with the wrong devil.

Great update on the election and history,

exciting to see the elections take form and it will be close to call. I have pity for Simon, if he already has doubts in his minds, i can only imagine what will happen if the 'going' gets even tougher.

Yes, I knew Simon would think about switching if it got sketchy. And of course, Kroone put his lot in with Jan's opposition.

Nice way of tossing a little of the game play in with the export/import info, too.

The election looks to be a tough slog for Jan.