• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice update, cool reading about politics and the election. Will be interesting to see who will win :)

Replies and Comments

Orange Verzet – Things could get tougher but may also get sweeter

RB : Sorry. This is an internal party election, the other parties have not yet make their presence in this time yet. Of course I will industrialize and I have never given up hope to reclaim Flanders.

Coz1 – Jan has lost one election, do you think he can takes another defeat.

Lord E – Thanks. To know who the winner is, read below.

FIRST BLOOD

He sat alone at the couch with his hand reaching for his back. He looks to be in pain as he tried to finish his half-drank bourbon. He glanced at this watch and realizes that bourbon would have to remained half-drank as he reluctantly stand up and twist the doorknob.

The door opened and the leader of the party cum Prime Minister walked into the room. As primus inter partes, he took the lone vacant seat at the front of the long oral table in the cabinet room. This is the first cabinet meeting since the election that has so nearly torn the party in two. Now all eyes will be on the Prime Minister as to whether he can reunited a divided party and an equally split cabinet.

Simon sat comfortably next to the Prime Minister. The past few weeks have been hectic. Thought he has backed the right horse, whisper of him being called Judas can still be heard around the corner.

But on this triumphant day all these talks does not bother him as he has explained countless of time to the press, the rational of his decision. In hindsight, it was a gamble and luckily for him, he broke the bank in the end.

“How’s your back Sir?”, a jovial looking Simon address the Prime Minister.

“Thank you for your concern, Simon. It’s still hurt. Must have been standing too long on the podium”.

“But it worth every ounce of the pain, right?” Simon replied to which the Prime Minister answers, “ Oh yes”.

The Prime Minister open the new session of the cabinet meeting by announcing to his cabinet that Simon Blays would continue holding the Foreign Minister portfolio and in addition a new post will be created for him, Deputy Prime Minister.

“ Yesterday morning after my ceremonial appointment with with the Queen, I have the chance to discuss and sought the consent of her Highness for the creation of this new post. According to our constitution, I do not need the consent of the Queen for my action but by convention and out of respect to her, I feel it is my duty to inform her of the government position”, the Prime Minister explained to the rest of the cabinet with few older members nodding their head in unison obviously pleased with the Prime Minister’s action.

A beaming Simon was reminding himself inside that this is the just reward for his role in helping the man next to him securing the majority votes in the party election.

The Prime Minister continue the meeting by reminding all the cabinet members that the time of battle is over and now the party and the country must progress together.

“How’s our budget looking?”

The veteran Finance Minister answer that call. “ Sir, as you can see from the financial report I prepared, our financial state is healthy and turning in a fine daily surplus”.

The Financial Report

“Yes, Good job Sir. The Empire is lucky to have you. But I think the taxation rate is a bit too harsh on our people, we should lower it.”

“Most thoughtful of you Sir, 46.9% did seems a steep high for the poor.”

The Prime Minister burst out laughing “ Who says anything about lowering the poor tax. I am saying the Rich tax is too high. How can our businessmen reinvest their profit into the market if the government took so much from them.”

The slightly embarrassed minister replied “Certainly Sir, I shall lower it to 40.0%.

What about the progress of our railway tracks?”

The Railways Minister stood up and says, “All is well Sir. Railways tracks (Level 1) have been laid in all parts of the country save for Eindhoven, Maastricht, Luxembourg, Emden and Lingen. With sufficient funds and resources, I forecast that the list of 5 would be shorten to 3 by year end”.

“Good. Now can the esteemed, Trade and Industrial Minister gives us an update on the Industrial progress of our country?”

“Certainly Sir. We have a total of 7 major factories in Netherlands and they are:-

Holland
Liquid Distillery ( Level 1)
Ammunition Factory (Level 1)
Winery (Level 1)

Zeeland
Canned Food Factory (Level 1)
Glass Factory (Level 1)

Friesland
Small Arms Factory (Level 1)
Fabric Factory (Level 3)

“ Any further plan for extension?”

“Not at this moment Prime Minister”

“If you have none, I have one. I propose to built a new Regular Clothes Factory in Emden or Lingen”, the Prime Minister said to the surprise of several minister, one which even mumble “I thought he was against….”

“No, I am not against anything. If there is anything to learn from past lesson or mistake, it is one must not waste existing resources. If there is nothing else, we shall end here today”.

As everyone was quietly existing the room, Simon turns to the Prime Minister and says “the fatty thought you are a nationalist, so he was rather surprise when you says you want to build new factory in Emden. Obviously it will only benefit the Germans staying there”.

“Correct, but Emden and Lingen are now full of unemployed craftsmen, it would be a terrible waste if they are not put to use in proper. By the way when will our phony alliance with Belgium expire?”

A rather stunned looking Simon reply hesitantly, “Soon, Prime Minister”.

“Don’t call me that Simon, I feel uncomfortable, just address me like you normally do”.

“All right, Jan”.

Last edited:
So Simon picked the right option and Jan won the election that is nice. Will be interesting to see what future they will bring for them and for the Netherlands.

Great another update! Long time no see.

A little bit late for Jan to say to Simon you can call me Jan :) , you kept it nicely uptill the end. I didnt even check the ending first :p

The country itself seems to be in good shape, but the diplomatic actions in the near future will be interesting. German provinces and Belgium are both not running smoothly, and Simon and Jan arent the kind of guys who settle for that, i guess.

Jan seems rather comfortable in his new position. But I would worry about Simon were I he. I just don't think he can be trusted for too long.

On my catch-up, just read the update announcing Jan's contesting of the leadership. A very nice little episode, with a good tone. A sense of surprise, if not of shock. Simon is playing his role very nicely. The PM seems really restrained, but I am sure that cannot last.

Lord E - We can only hope they can only achieve greater things for Netherlands!!

Oranje Verzet - Certainly not as productive as I want to be. With new games like FM2006 and Civ4 findinf their place to my harddisk, it's been difficult for me to concentrate updating this AAR more regulary as I want.

The whole purpose of the last AAR was to give the readers some sort of suspense right till the end. Perhaps i will elaborate the election in another update in the future. You also touch on the diplomatic part which I intend to cover in the next update. After all the readers need to know what else is going on around the world at this time.

Coz1 & Stynlan - Both of you are concern with Simon. Well I guess Jan should be. Only time will tell but for now more pressing issues required Jan attention.

Thanks you all for still hanging around and keep those comments coming in...

It Always Rain In Amsterdam

The sky was not only think that turns dark. Khalid Bouza was in his most fault mood as he examines the wallet of a man he just mugged few corners away. Three pieces of petty banknotes not even enough to pay for the companionship he plans to seek later tonight.

Before he even has the chance to look up, rains started to pour. He cursed his luck as he run in search of a shelter. He saw a door open in one of the building across the street. Instinctively he ran into the building, not knowing it’s about to change his destiny forever.

Khalid soaking in the rain

The empty hall seems to be a perfect sanctuary for Khalid in this rainy day. Like a cat smelling for a fish, Khalid was already scanning for his potential victim when someone tapped his shoulder from the back.

“Can I interested you with a career in the army?” a rather bulky looking man in an overstretch army uniform asks Khalid innocuously.

“Me?” Khalid was about to dismiss the guy when the words coming out of his mouth even took him by surprise.

“Can I" he said hesitantly, "surely you can see I am an Arab.”

“Yes, I know. If that is what concern you that I can rest assure you may put that concern to rest. Even since Prime Minister Krompkamp took over, he has open the door of the army to all Dutch citizens and colonies alike, Dutch, Sumatran, Balinese and of course Arab. But you are from Morocco, right?”

Feeling a sense of pride, Khalid replies in Moroccan “Of course, Rabat”.

The official didn’t really understand what was said but he heard Rabat and smile.

“Great, then how about it, soldier, a career in the army can be fulfilling”.

“Let me sit down and think about it”.

Khalid allows himself to the vacant chair on the front of the temporary set-up enrollment desk. He has never thought of joining the army, but then again why not. It provides him with free shelter and food. Lately some cops are also hot on his heels, the army could be the perfect hiding place. And yes, as added bonus he may even get to kill people and be congratulated for it. His lust for blood returned.

The enrollment officer saw the young Arab stands up and walks towards him. “So, young man, have you make up your mind?”

For the last time Khalid Bouza would say “Yes, where do I sign?”

“Great, now can I have your name?”

Khalid looks around the hall looking for inspiration before he saw the sword hanging above the clock, “Hassassin, Anwar Hassassin”.

“Congratulation Anwar for joining the Royal Dutch Army, now all you have to do is to pass the physique test and you shall report to the training camp at Maastricht…….”

Outside, the rain has stop and the sun has appear once again, bring relief and joy to those on the street. For the man now known as Anwar this is the beginning of a new chapter in his life. The sun could finally has shine on him.

Oooh sweet, Khalid in the army. This is a very good career choice for him :D , altough his allegiance with Holland maybe be questionable he surely would make a fine killing machine.

Good update, very different again than all other ones, one very creative style changing AAR this is. I salute you.

Intriguing update, one has to wonder how Khalid will do in the army. Will he work from the inside and try to secure the destruction of the Dutch Empire, or will he actually do a good job. I guess he shall get to kill at least so that should satisfy his bloodlust then…
Nice update:)

The return of Khalid only to see him join up with the army? I don't think they are ready for him yet. ;)

I think Anwar is going to go places and see things that Khalid never could - being an honest killer might just be first on the list.

Oranje Verzet - Thank you for your compliment.

Lord E - All will be reveal in the future.

Coz1 - Army ready for him?? The better question would be whether he is ready for the rigid lifestyle of the army?

Stynlan - Yup. An honest killer. Now how many of us get a job that we actually enjoy doing it? I don't but at least my characters seem to enjoy theirs.

One general comment. The above update is not only plot driven but it is also to highlight the problem with playing Holland. Lack of manpower. To have a substantial army, the Dutch is forced to recruit from the colonies. Not so much that their organization skill is slightly less than normal division but I believe they are only count 1/8 point towards the military ranking points.

From now on, all the dutch army divisions will be recruits from East indies and a few arab divisions, the bulk still from East Indies. Therefore it seems logical that an arab or even people like Bambang could join the army.

Another drawback in playing Netherlands is the national culture issue. Unless and until someone edit the save file to let Java and Malay be the national cultures it is highly unlikely that the Dutch industry strength can rival the other great nations.

These are some of the issues that I have to accept and play with. Therefore don't expect a WC game. I consider it a success if Netherlands can achieve top 5 status at the end of the game.

Thanks for all your comments.

The Netherlands under the House of Orange by Wim de Kok former chief editor of Amsterdam Post

The Dutch people usher in 1862 with mixed feeling.

The diplomatic turmoil in Europe does not seems to be getting any closer to an end. Two years ago, the powerful Russian Tsar has declared war against the liberal Sweden and her ally Norway. Major European countries watches with great distaste over this outright bullying by the Russian bear as he tried to secure his stronghold in the Baltic.

Whether it is by coincidence or great diplomatic timing, the imminent rebuff from other great nations did not arrive at St.Petersburg because of another incident two months later.

On December 4, Austria declared war on Sardinia-Piedmont and France stood by their alliance with SP and join in the war against Austria. Three months later the Papal States throw themselves into the fray by siding with the Austrian and Sicilians.

The only two remaining great nations not involved in any war at his moment, UK and Prussia were keeping on close eye on both theatre and choose to declare their neutrality in the two wars that could change the political landscape of Europe in times to come.

With all these fighting going on, the Dutch were naturally worried that they may be drag into these conflicts, albeit indirectly sometime in the future. But all these worries and fears were negated by the announcement that the economy is growing at a better than expected rate. The government has also decides to finance further colonization costs in setting up new trading posts and coaling stations in Borneo, Northern Sumatra and Sulawesi over the next ten years. It is forecast that by 1873, all of Borneo save for the tiny kingdom of Brunei would be under Dutch administration and so too will the rest of East Indies Archipelago and Northern Sumatra. All this would not be possible if not for the emergence of Jan Krompkamp.

The appointment of this new Prime Minister with a business background has successfully spurred the economy development to a higher level.

Prime Minister Jan Krompkamp whom have narrowly defeated his predecessor in the Conservatives Party election by a mere margin of 2 votes have move swiftly to close rank in the party. Instead of purging those that sided with the ex-Premier, the new PM has retained most of their services in the cabinet with the exception of former Prime Minister who did the honourable thing of resigning from the government and reject all persuasions to remain in the cabinet.

Political observant certainly notice the role of the new Deputy Prime Minister in helping the ‘Wizard of Rotterdam’ triumphing in the closer election yet in the history of the party. It was rumor that Simon Blays were made an irresistible offer to switch camp in the last minute of the run-up to the election but he declined. Some in the press has lauded his loyalty though most experience political observant reserved their view on this compliment instead preferring to remind all, Mr.Blays too have a higher personal agenda involved.

Another big loser would seem to be nVOC. The largest conglomerate in the country has taken a non-too partisan stand by openly supporting the incumbent and may yet pay the price for their action.

Post election mortem have revealed that some members notable fence sitter in the election are not at all pleased that JP Koorne has decides to voice his unappreciated view in an internal party election. After all he is not a member of the party and it gives an impression that he has an all too close and perhaps an unhealthy relationship with the incumbent.

With the chequered history between Krompkamp and Koorne it would be only a matter of time before the two men would clash. As it turn out, the wait was only momentarily as the issue of Slavery in the Dutch West Indies in 1863 bring the two Jans back into the ring.

prussiablue said:
...Unless and until someone edit the save file to let Java and Malay be the national cultures it is highly unlikely that the Dutch industry strength can rival the other great nations...
i remember the first time i tried to edit a game save file. for me, what was difficult was finding the country that i was playing in the file! although it has been months since i looked at a Vicky game save file, i acquired a method that allowed me to find the nation i am playing very quickly. i actually found it by accident: i have a habit of editing the leader file [before game start, of course] and placing three friends of mine as leaders (that is, generals, not ministers) in the leader file for the country that i am playing.

one reason i do this is that you can never have enough good leaders [and, for some reason my friends are always among the best leaders i have :rolleyes: .] anyway, when you load up the game save, just do a ^-F [control-F] and search for one of your friends. if you then need to go to the top of your country, then just do another search {important that you search up} for "country = {", without the quote marks. OH, i know that this works for HOI (1 and 2) which is what i have been playing lately, but, IIRC, it is the same for Vicky. of course, i am lucky that my friend's names are not used in either Vicky or HoI. :)

prussiablue said:
As it turn out, the wait was only momentarily as the issue of Slavery in the Dutch West Indies in 1863 bring the two Jans back into the ring.
WOOHOO, CAN'T WAIT! :cool: although, do i have a choice? ;)

OH, has the ACW happened? a little civil war makes for an interesting side note... :)

Oooh, excellent! I've been waiting to see the fight between Jan and Koorne. This ought to be good!

Indeed. Something of a showdown might be brewing.

First of all, I would like to apologize to the reader of this AAR for not updating this AAR for quite sometime. The thing is I am going through some sort of writAAR block now and can't seems to write as smooth as I wanted.

To get myself out of this hole, I decided to give a summary of some events during 1864-1872. Anyway in terms of gameplay nothing much happen except what is illustarted below.

To Orange V, Stnylan, Coz1, Ghostwriter, Lord E and others, thanks for sticking by and I hope I can give a proper update soonest possible. So in the mean time enjoy...

The spread of imperialism
With the ban lifted, the Dutch went on a spending rampage to secure the claims. Luckily the Dutch treasury is healthy enough to sustain this operation.

Celebes, the last of the East Indian Archipelago to fall to the Dutch.
With the additional colonies, the Dutch are expected to reap in more profits mainly from raw materials and in time to come most of the colonies will supply the empire with the manpower required to defend glory of Netherlands.

URL=http://imageshack.us]
waronbrunei8yh.jpg
[/URL]
War on the tiny sultanate of Brunei.
The Dutch move fast to dispose of any remaining state in the Borneo island. The British are obviously not pleased with this.

American Civil-War.
By 1864, the Union has successfully beaten the rebels in the south and CSA was annexed. There would be no stoping Pax Americana from now on....

Road to Germany
The dice has cast. Prussia has started the German reunifaction process. Austria try to resist but the Hapsburgs are clearly in decline. The Austrian fought but obviously too weak to stop the Prussian.

The collapse of France
Next up the evil French stood in the way of the Prussian Eagle. The Frenchy don't even stand a chance.

Finally, on 1872, the fire of nationalism spark the 2nd Benelux War.

Great to see some news, to bad to hear that you have a writer block, but just take your time. We shall all stay around and wait for when you return.

Nice little update there, can’t wait to read how the Dutch will do in this new war against Belgium and also what the unification of Germany means for the future of the Dutch Empire. Looking forward to read more :)