• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Stynlan : Yep. I want to portray the impact of a major warfare from Britain perspective. I think it added a new angle to the whole story.

Coz1 : Belgium is doomed from the start. But without the alliance I may not risk war with France.

Lord E : As with Coz1, that was a real pathetic offer. Why bother?

Ghostwriter : Thanks. You will find out who is Natty. Read below.

Oranje V : buddy. Nice to hear from you. Right partners? well just read on...

Netherlands 1885-1895

"How may I be of service to you, Sir?”

Lord Salisbury picks up another log and chucks it into the flaming fireplace. “Ah, Natty I hope you don’t mind me calling you that”. Before Natty has the chance to reply, the Prime Minister continues “It has been a while since the Suez Canal, isn’t it?”

“Yes, my Lord”, Natty or Lord Nathan Mayer Rothschild reply.

Lord Nathan Mayer Rothschild

“I fear the time has once again where I like Disraeli need to seek a favour from you. You see Natty, the war in Europe is of no beneficial to the empire and I am sure it’s not good for your family business as well. What I want you to do are to contact your fellow family members in Paris and Frankfurt and see whether a ‘deal’ can be worked out to the benefit of all. Of course your effort will be heavily remunerated by the crown”.

After a quick lunch, Lord Rothschild takes his leave and the Prime Minister is left alone with his secretary.

“Do you think he understands what the task you assigned to him, milord?

“Of course, Natty is no fool”.

“And you think this can actually work?”

“Ha..Ha…Do not doubt the allure of wealth but most of all never underestimate the Rothschilds”.

Summer 1888

Six months have passed since the last time he sat in this chamber. Of course, this time he was not alone.

“Ah Natty, I hope you are the bearer of good news here”, the Prime Minister opens the door and grab the right hand of Lord Rothschild.

“Milord, it has been a while. May I present to you my cousin, Alphonse James de Rothschild”.

Alphonse James de Rothschild

“Yes, head of the French Rothschild banking empire. I gather all is not well in Paris now”.

Alphonse lets out a humourless smile.

“Well, milord”, Natty intervenes, “Over the past few months Alphonse and our cousins in Frankfurt have been busying advising their respective head of governments on a possible peace agreement. The French government is desperate to end this war whilst at the same time the Germans are already scrapping the bottom of their financial barrel. After several sessions, and some unexpected and rather large expenditures, we are pleased to inform you that the Kaiser is ready to sign a separate peace agreement with the French government in the next 48 hours provided the French is willing to pay a substantial compensation. Alphonse, of course will gladly be the chief lender again to the French government, but would perhaps need a soft loan from us”.

“You mean an interest free loan, Natty. All right, tell my secretary the amount you need and it shall be dispenses to you by end of today”.

“Don’t you wish to know the exact amount, milord?”, Alphonse asked.

“No amount is too huge for the future of the empire”.

Amsterdam

Michael Krompkamp couldn’t believe what he saw in the report. His ally, no his ex-ally Germany has just signed a peace offer with the French without any consultation with him. Why would they leave him in lurch? Could all this be a trap, a conspiracy by the Germans to weaken the Dutch and reinforce their claim on Emden and Lingen?

Even more disturbing is the news from the Italian Consulate that his remaining ally is also contemplating suing for peace with the French seeing that Germany is out of the war. The triple alliance is truly broken now.

He calls for his aides immediately. Even when he arrived at the doorstep, Krompkmap is still undecided whether to summons his Minister of Foreign Affairs or Minister of War.

Lord Salisbury Private Chamber

“Why are you sighing dear, the Germans and Italians are out of the war. Surely it would only be a matter of time before the Dutch would sue for peace as well?

“I can only hope so. How I wish the Rothschilds have a branch in Amsterdam.”

Quite the stab in the back. Let's hope the Dutch can either gain a favorable peace or show strength against the Brits alone.

Well, very understandable really. The Germans will not want the Dutch to get too powerful, will they?

coz1: Quite the stab in the back. Let's hope the Dutch can either gain a favorable peace or show strength against the Brits alone.

IIRC, the Dutch are fighting only the French at this time. ;) alone. :(

prussiablue said:
...Netherlands 1885-1895

"How may I be of service to you, Sir?”

Lord Salisbury picks up another log and chucks it into the flaming fireplace. “Ah, Natty I hope you don’t mind me calling you that”. Before Natty has the chance to reply, the Prime Minister continues “It has been a while since the Suez Canal, isn’t it?”

... “I can only hope so. How I wish the Rothschilds have a branch in Amsterdam.”

OK, i am somewhat confused. it seems to me that Lord Salisbury is the English Prime Minister. so, why does this setting begin in the Netherlands?

i see that Lord Salisbury takes the Germans and Italians out of the war. this is very interesting. i guess that the game tossed you this wicked curve... :wacko: [ needless to say, i have experienced this as well :( ]

hmmm. this is an awesome explanation of that ! ! :D

magnificent update! ! :cool:

OH, almost forgot. this should give the Rothschilds sufficient capital to open a Netherlands branch! ! LOL :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Damn, that was evil of them to backstab you in such a way. I presume they settled for money then and not took any provinces, damn them. Well I am sure that you can still win this if you continue to press forward and captures Paris the frogs will be begging for peace…
Good luck

GhostWriter - true, but I was speaking from the British perspective - the Germans and Italians are no longer with the Dutch as their enemies (and frankly - pun intended - it doesn't seem the French have pressed that hard other than offering horrendous peace deals. ;) )

Love the dramatics, this only keeps getting better.

'We have arrived at the point of no return, we can keep struggling up and perhaps we shall be victorious. Or we give in and start crashing down. What say you men?'

coz1: Quite the stab in the back. Let's hope the Dutch can either gain a favorable peace or show strength against the Brits alone.

emphasis added. this statement conveyed to me that (you thought that) the Brits are participants in this war. and, i agree, that was quite the stab in the back.

coz1: GhostWriter - true, but I was speaking from the British perspective - the Germans and Italians are no longer with the Dutch as their enemies (and frankly - pun intended - it doesn't seem the French have pressed that hard other than offering horrendous peace deals. ;) )

OK. my point was that England was not a participant in this war.

that said, now the French can only offer those copious quantities of provinces (in a peace offer) to The Netherlands! ! :D :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My mistake, GhostWriter. Somehow, I was thinking they were. They certainly have a stake in it, whether fighting or not. And perhaps they feel the need to get involved now, when the stakes are lower.

How about another update, prussiablue, to find out? ;)

coz1: ...How about another update, prussiablue, to find out? ;)

got my vote! ! :cool:

Hi guys. got the message loud and clear. I had just settled down in London and need a few more days to sort things out before I resume the story. I hope all of you can wait. Ironically I met a Dutch here and she told me the Moroccans are causing some problems over there. I didn't know that when I write about Khalid.... ;)