• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
prussiablue: ...“ The French Army is scattered; facing us in different directions and their commanders all seek individual glory for themselves. This is their weakness and we must turn it to our favour.”

excellent analysis of the situation! ! :)

prussiablue: ..“That’s suicidal.”..“Intelligence, Sir.”

i am inclined to think that assassination of enemy commanders would have been a good use of this mans talents... ;)

prussiablue: ...“I like it. It’s bold and refreshing. Our cavalry reserve would act like a fireman rushing from one fire to another. Got job, major.”

yes, very good job! ! :D

prussiablue: ...Maybe now is the time to take up his mother advice and start attending church.

hmmm. that sounds like an excellent idea! ! :)

awesome update! ! :cool:

So what's up with our new heroes?

Update? :D

Renss

I am extremely sorry to all readers and lurkers out there for not updating this AAR. The reasons being that:-

i) It seems that I can't load my game for some reasons althought I have a vague collection of what happens but I wish to load some screenshots.

ii) The World Cup is coming and I am pre-occupied :rofl:

iii) I am in the midst of applying for my Master Degree and this has divert my attention elsewhere.

Hopefully all will turns out well because I have so much more to tell. Not comparing to Rens masterpiece/epic, I am still in 1882 and there is another 40 years to go.

as and when you can, prussiablue, as and when you can, and good luck on the Master's Degree application.

Hey guys. I just can't let all of you down. So I am going to tough it out and try to complete the story. I hope I can accelarate it and so in the meantime enjoy......

Oh yes. Before that, let me explain that France DOW on me was totally out of the blue. I have just cut down on the Army budget to further improve my cash position and the French are strong. I form a cavalry army behind the lines and wait for the French assault. It's not really a gamble since I have no other alternative.

Paris – 1883

“Enough”, the roaring shout of Jean-Baptise is accompany with a firm fist slam on the table.

The 3 men in the room cease their bickering and stare at their host. The War minister looks tired and battered. Just a mere 6 months ago, he seems to have the whole France under his feet but the man standing before them today is but a mere shadow of that same person.

“General Petain, frankly I am starting to lose patient here. Your last assault has caused us to lose 30,000 fine Frenchman and now you want me to authorize the transfer of an additional 50,000 troops from General Foch to your Army. Merde”.

The ever cautious Petain reply, “ Being the most senior General after the retirement of Marshall Lebouef, I feel I bear the responsibility to the Republic to bring an end to this war sooner rather than later. The Dutch position has significantly weakened. I can sense it. A final thrust to Flanders will bring the collapse of the Dutch Army”.

General Foch would have none of that. “Blah. That’s what you said last month but look what happened to your assault. Jean-Baptise, I think it might be time to ask for a truce. Our soldiers are tired and logistically speaking we have no resources to launch another major assault. As much as I hate to admit, the Dutch Cavalry have been awesome. Their great use of mobility has exposed our weakness. Perhaps the age of reliance on artillery has past. If we delay further a white peace me no longer be possible”. The other general in the room nodded in silence.

“Blasphemy. Ever since the days of Napoleon, our artillery brigade is the envy of Europe. In full swing nothing stand in the way of our cannonballs. What we are facing is just mere setback. To walk away from this war would make us the laughing stock of Europe”.

“I have heard both of your arguments and frankly I find merits in both. And if you will excuse me, I need to discuss this with the President”.

“When will I know the answer?”, Petain asked, stressing on the word ‘I’.

“Soon. Very soon”.

Amsterdam – late evening

“How can this happened?”, the Prime Minister yelled at the Navy Minister.
“I apologize, Sir. We did not anticipate such a strong French Navy presence near Cape Horn”.

“Well, thanks to your inept guess, we lost 5 fully loaded transports and thousand of soldiers which meet their end in the most undignified and wasteful manner”.

Turning away in disgust, Krompkamp stares at his notebook. “And how’s that going to affect our defence?”

Even without naming his name, the War Minister knew this question was directed at him. “ Not good. Our soldiers are tired. We need fresh replacements. I have pinned high hope on these new recruits. Thanks to van der Linn brilliant defence strategy we have been able to held the French back for nearly a year but even our valiant cavalry troops have sustained heavy losses over the time and from the initial 40,000 the numbers have drop to 20,000. If the French were to mount a major offensive anytime now, I am not hopeful we can hold them back”.

“And what about the Brits and the Prussian? Have they showed any sign to intervene in this war on our behalf? As far as I remember, they loath the French just as much as us”.

“True”, the Foreign Minister steps in “but they have become wary of us. London is busy mopping up the rest of India while the Prussian is waiting to see our potential. In a way this war is much like a test. If we do favourably they might consider improving their relationship with us, if not we could be their next target”.

“ So is really like we are on our own then, isn’t it?”

The silence in the room was broken by an elder voice. “Sir, as your Foreign Minister I urge you to invite the French to the negotiation table. If needed we may even offer some war indemnities to the French to end this war. We have the money but not enough man to defend it. I hope all of you in the room would not see this as a sign of defeat but rather interpret it as a price for peace”.

At this junction a messenger walked in and hand over a decoded telegram to the Foreign Minister. A blush appears on the face of the Minister. “It seems that I spoke too soon. The French has officially sue for white peace and are awaiting our reply”.

Michael closes his eyes unable to hide his delight.

The next day, the Amsterdam Post reported that France and Netherlands have agree to signed a peace treaty and on the far corner of the same page it was also reported that two ministers have resigned voluntarily citing poor health.

'Poor Health' I always find has some many possibilities as a euphemism, not that this is the case here of course ;) How fortunate though to get out of that war. I bet you couldn't click on accept fast enough!

Nice work, I am very glad your cavalry strategy worked that well. Also it was cool that the French offered white peace just as you were considering to offer them money to give you peace. I think the white peace was the best you could get out of this, it is good the French didn’t know how difficult your position were. Nice work :)

prussiablue: ...“..If needed we may even offer some war indemnities to the French to end this war..”...

hmmm. which is cheaper, war indemnities to the French or raising some more troops and keeping that military slider a wee bit higher? ?

oh, another question. what losses did you and the French incur in that war? it does not look to have been a few...

awesome update, awesome results! ! :cool:

Prussiablue...

Sorry I've been out of the way! While hunkered down on finishing my own, I've let quite a bit of my reading slack off. Not to happen again!

That really sucks that you lost 5 fully loaded transports. But it does happen in war. The trick is ensuring that it happens enough to the other guy to make him think he's beat! Which appears to be how you've managed to slip away with a white peace! All in all, that result against a powerful France has got to be a blessing!

Best wishes, certainly, on your Masters' application, etc. Hope to see you back here to tell us what happens next! I wonder if an older savegame might work.

Rensslaer

Well guys, sorry my computer is still out (actually it got repaired and knocked out again 2 days later :confused: ). Must find a way to repair that old junk for good. On a pleasant note, I am pleased to inform you all that I have been offered a place to study Politics at LSE this coming September. You know I heard so much about those darn London weather....

Congrats with the LSE! As for the weather, hmmm, I think you'll find it to be a little different to Malaysia - although the levels of rainfall are probably roughly equal :p

Congratulations on getting into LSE. As for London weather, well, it's not so bad (30 degrees today I think).

OK, I'll join. Maybe he'll come out to play. One can hope. :)

Prussia...

He's practicing hiding so as not to get wet -- the better to keep from getting soaked in London! Don't want his beautiful blue colors to run. :p

Congratulations, Prussiablue! That's exciting news! A very prestigious school! But what do economists know about politics??? :p

I think you're just the candidate for a poli sci degree -- you've demonstrated an aptitude right here in your AAR!

Rensslaer

Thanks guys for all your encouragement. Well the computer is fixed so I can get back to the AAR. Incidently I have to change to motherboard (burn a hole in my pocket)...

Well I will let you guys have a nice re-introduction back into the story before this AAR picks up its pace. :)

P.S : I lost the website address for imageshack (upload). Can someone let me know the address?

From the Army Barrack of the 1st Cavalry Division
Major Timmy van der Linn

Dear Father,

How’s your back? Pardon me for not writing to you these last few months. I am rather preoccupied with the preparation for my next assignment. You see, the General has chosen me to represent our nation in an officer exchange programme with Britain. That means I would have to leave for Sandhurst in a few weeks time.

For the past few weeks, I have been subjected to a crash course in English and numerous espionage techniques. Yes, you read it right, my visit is not as plain as it seems. Of course I loathe the idea of spying even though the General has assured me that this will be the last of my priorities but as a soldier I am bound by my oath and fidelity to the Army. As you always say, ‘We have to do what we have to do”.

My visit to the Intelligence office is not a memorable experience. The officers there are not friendly and helpful at all. Of course, you remember the irritating Major Anwar I mentioned in my previous correspondences. Well, tempers flare a few times in our brief encounters. In fact, brief would be an understatement. The supposedly briefing took some 2 days to complete. I gather the Major just want to have the pleasure of harassing me and show his superiority in his field. Luckily for me his superior detects our rather non-amicable relationship and relieves him of his ‘coaching duty’. From that point onwards, it was smooth sailing. I just hope I don’t have to put my new learnt skill to use. Somehow I feel the Major has not forgotten the Lier’s incident. I suppose it would be prudence for me to watch my back, accident can happen anytime.

Since your retirement, have you been following our country development? Just in case, you are busying tending your gardens or milking your cows, let me bring you up to date with the latest development.

The Prime Minister has continues his predecessor expansion plan in the Far East. Several new colonies have been claimed. Central Polynesia and Southwestern Melanasia were added to the Empire on April and May 1883 respectively. Almost went unnoticed, the government has also hasten their investment in Africa. I hear it would not be long before we can make a sustainable claim on Cameroon. At this rate of expansions we are bound to infuriate the Brits at sometimes in the future. I personally think while this may be unavoidable, it would be a more appropriate course for us to delay this as long as possible for our real enemies in the continent has yet to be subdued. We don’t need their help but we sure don’t want them to interfere as well.

Last week, I have the pleasure to striking a rather meaningful conversation with one of our supposedly brightest officer from the diplomatic corp. It seems that Prime Minister Krompkamp is courting the friendship of the Germans and a five year alliance may be sealed by end of the year. I was flabbergasted with this piece of news. With the German territory claim on Emden and Lingen yet to be resolved, I find this development rather interesting. With the aid of a few glasses of champagne, my new found friend let the cat out of the bag. He told me if one can’t be friend then the only reason two persons can be together is for mutual benefit, i.e common enemy. Looks like the next war would not be far from now.

Of course it would not poses a problem for the hungry Germans but our nation has yet to recover fully from the last war with the French. It would easier for the French to replenish their estimated 300,000-400,000 losses but the same cannot be said about us. True our losses have been considerably lower. The General has revealed to me our losses are in the region of 150,000 but with our economy in full swing it would be suicidal to recruit our most productive farmers and traders to the force. Again our only alternative is to look east. Thankfully there is abundance of willing villagers ready to pledge their life to the Empire. This remarkable phenomenon can only be attributed to the wise colonial management system implemented by the Prime Minister. Over the years, the government has invested huge amount of money in building railroads and better infrastructure in the Far East. Military and civil schools are erected at break taking pace and education is free for the colonists. You do remember Hassan, my good friend from the east; well he is the best example of soldiers from the east; kind, brave and loyal. I am fortunate to have him as a friend and I hope it would be fine with you and mum that I shall be inviting him over during the Christmas festival.

Oh, you and mum should come and visit Amsterdam and Rotterdam. You would be awed by what you’ll be seeing. Trader ships lining to enter the ports. Bigger factories then you can ever imagine producing valuable goods for the Empire’s usage and trade. Our glorious nation’s treasury is in the best state ever. With the money generated we are able to invest and subsidize great projects such as the recent construction of the canals in Amsterdam and the great sewage clean-up.

As you can read, I am typing this letter using the old Remington typewriter you bought me. Yes, I have fixed it though with some difficulty; finding the right master to repair it is not an easy task here. Perhaps it would be easier in London. With my horrible and illegible handwriting, this machine is a god sent gift.

I have to go now. My friends are making noises now. They have been quite patient waiting for me outside while I typed this letter. I promise to write, type more regularly once I settled down.

Your loving son always,

Timmy