• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Battle of Palawan

Professor Grinny walks into the semi-crowded lecture hall in a huff. His presence was not immediately felt by the class of freshmen until the he thrown his textbooks on the lecture desk. “Bang”.

“Now do I have all of your undivided attention?” he says in jest.

“To all of you who are not here last week and I see a few”, as the Professor points to a group of young men sitting in the middle of the hall. “My name is Professor Grinny. Welcome to Naval Warfare History, lesson deux.

The Professor switched the projector on. “Last week we are just about to discuss the Battle of Palawan, at Sulu sea when the dreaded bell deprive you of that joy”. A feel minor giggling was heard.

“Of course for all you non-geeks out there, Sulu Sea is not in Africa, it has absolutely nothing to do with the Zulu either. As you see from the projector, Sulu sea is located at the south west of Philippines”.

Point of Engagement

Professor Grinny took a bite at his apple on the desk before continuing, “The year was 1855, the date 30-11-1855. As I mentioned last week, Spain has declared colonial war on Netherlands hoping to wrest North Borneo away from the Dutch. The Battle at Palawan would be the first major Naval Battle after Trafalgar. So it was on this eventual day, that the Dutch Fleet encounter the Spanish Armada of the coast of Palawan”.

Click (slide changed). “And who do we have on both sides? Yes ladies and gentlemen, on your red corner, weighing at a combined strength of 7 man-of-war and 14 frigates with 700 guns (10-pounders), we have Admiral Xaxier Hernandez Alfarro and on the Orange corner, weighing at a combined strength of 5 man-of-war and 10 frigares with 800 guns (12-pounders), we have the legendary Vice-Admiral Pierre de Vries (as he then was).

“Jeremy, you seems to be the geek here, can you name all the ships in this battle?” the Professor direct his question to an enthusiastic looking guy at the 1st row.

Jeremy proudly says, “Of course. The Spanish Armada line of ships consists of Miguel, San Sino, Cristal, Hernandez, San Juan, Valencia, Malaga, Estefan, La Fuentes, Mallorca, Seville, Granada, Borchelo, Octavio, Luzon, Alfredo, Cimcanti, Tiko, Alca, Alva and Coruna. The Dutch Far-East Fleet are made up of Hr.Ms William I, their flagship, Java, Palembang, Groningen, Stuyvesant, Minuet, Renssalaer, Verhulfst, Kieft, Haarlem, Batavia, Riebecks, van Diemen, Klein Amsterdam and ..Wezel”.

“Bravo”, as the Professor claps his hand. “Here, have an apple as your reward” as the Professor toss an apple to Jeremy before he continues.

“ At around 11 a.m, de Vries spotted the Spanish Armada off the coast of Pahlawan island, in the Sulu Sea, The weather had suddenly turned calm following a week of gales. As de Vries get ready to line up his ships in line, he noticed another fleet coming from his left flank. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, it belongs to the Spaniard.”

“Professor, but you said last week that Vice-Admiral de Ruyter was anchored at the Spanish coast to prevent the break-out”, asked a student.

“Yes. Indeed that was what de Ruyter was assigned to do. But what the Dutch High Navy Command did not know was that the main bulk of Spanish Armada have already left for Philippines one year before the war broke out. Yes I know, you want to ask surely a fleet of that size would have been detected by the Dutch Navy patrolling the Java Sea. The Spaniard though of that as well. In the end they took the other route, vide the Pacific. Of course it’s a long and dangerous journey but it’s a risk they are willing to take.”

“So you mean the 1st Fleet was just sitting there watching over a phantom fleet?”

“Precisely. Now where am I, Yes, At this point de Vries have calculated that the Spanish Armada would have easily 6 more ships than him. Gun-wise the margin might be lowered. Of course, in hindsight we all know now in fact the Dutch have more guns as the Spaniard fleet is not fully equipped but de Vries doesn’t know this”.

“11:15a.m, de Vries was forced to make changes to his initial plan of classic line of ships battle. For you naval warfare illiterate, line of ships battle refers to a situation where ships were line up in a single vertical line as oppose to individual ships battling each other. The obvious advantage to this tactic over previous naval tactics — in which ships closed on each other for individual combat — that each ship in the line can fire its broadside without fear of hitting a friendly ship.

11:35, de Vries called for his second, Rear Admiral Schnoops, to discuss his new plan. Believing that the balance of power have tilted in favour of the Spaniard. De Vries suggested to Schnoops that they are going to do a modified ‘Nelson’.

For those of you who are lost, which I am very sure most of you are, what de Vries is doing is essentially abandoning the vertical line principle and line-up the ships in two horizontal lines instead. The first column would be lead by himself, consisting of his ship William I, Java, Palembang, Groningen, Stuyvesant, Minuet, Renssalear and Verhulfst while the second column to be commanded by Schnoops would make up of the rest of the fleet. They will attempt the break the line, much like punching a hole through a sheet of paper.

As most commanders would place his flagship in the middle of the line, if the charge were successful, not only would it break the line but also the enemy commander himself would be in peril. This would seriously disrupt their organization and communication abilities which are imperative in a ship-in-line tactics.

At around noon, Admiral Alfarro has arranged his ships-in-line. Totalling 21 ships the line however was not perfect as Alfarro makes the fatal mistake of placing the bulky triple-decker San Juan and Valencia as the 6th & 7th ships in line. This mistake will come back and haunt the Spaniard later in the battle.

12:13 p.m, the two columns respectively lead by de Vries and Schnoops charge towards centre of the line. Alfarro sensibly orders fire but the Spanish 10-pounders proved to be less than effective.

Schnoops sailing under Wezer, was under constant fire from Luzon and Alfredo, the two man-of –war breaking ranks and sailing from the van (vanguard) as the Spaniard slowly losing its shape.

Break the line might sound challenging be in actual fact a lot of elements must worked in your favour for you to pull this out. Firstly your opponent line must not be perfect and well coordinated; reference can also be made to Villenueve’s line in Trafalgar. Secondly your ships attempting to break the line will be subjected to constant fire from enemy ships that will be on their broadside and finally you need speed. The more speed you gather the faster you reach the line and greater impact, understand?

Now let’s examine de Vries position. Alfarro’s ships on the line were less than perfect. This is partly due to the lack of quality naval officers in the Spaniard side. Secondly the 10-pounders are not able to inflict the necessary damages on the Dutch Fleet and so finally, de Vries needs his wind. Does he have it?

Yes, as if his prayers were answered, at approximately 12:23 (accoding to his Captain's log) a gust of wind suddenly blow from his rear and increase the charge momentum greatly.

With the wind behind them now, the moment of impact finally comes around 12:45 p.m as the two columns smash the middle line of the Spanish Armada. Alfarro seeing that his line is about to be broken, suddenly panicked. He ordered his fleet to be split into two. Sensing this de Vries thrust behind the line and turn towards the San Juan and Valencia at his left flank, ignoring Alfarro’s flagship Miguel. The Dutch fires their 12-pounders relentlessly at San Juan and Valencia.

In the meantime, Rear Admiral Schnoops, makes a sweeping move towards the right flank of the Spanish Armada, fierce engagement was reported between the Dutch light frigate, Klein Amsterdam and her counterpart Tiko as both ships exchange brutal fires for nearly half an hour.

The raking manoeuvre was employed with great success by the Dutch ships. When attacking the enemy line, a Dutch vessel would steer for a gap between enemy vessels. After brilliant seamanship had gained the Dutch ship an advantageous position, a broadside was fired at one enemy vessel before sailing in front of it to unleash yet another broadside into the stern of the next ship in the line. Yet another broadside was then delivered to that crippled vessel from the other side.

At 1:34 p.m, San Juan and Valencia capitulated but not before she landed a hard hit on Java. The destruction of these two ships caused the rest four frigates at the van (left flank) to be trapped as their escape route was now blocked by the burning San Juan and Valencia. By now the Spanish Armada was in total confusion and disarray. As of 2:00p.m, Alfarro has lost San Juan, Valencia, Seville, San Sino, Octavio, Malaga, La Fuentes and Cristal while de Vries only have one casualty, Java.

Out number and outgun, Alfarro decides to flee the battle scene but not before de Vries has order two of his lighter and speedier frigates, Renssalaer and Stuyvesant to gives chase. Their order is strict. Do not sink Miguel, just attack the mast and immobilized her.

Seeing their Admiral fleeing the battle, the Spaniard quickly surrendered in masse. Around, 2:45 p.m, the speedier Dutch frigates have caught up with Miguel and a fierce battle ensured. Despite boosting more guns, the triple-decker Miguel was unable to match the seamanship of the Dutch frigates. By 3:10p.m, Miguel was all but a sitting duck floating in the middle of the ocean awaiting the arrival of Hr.Ms. William I. The battle of Palawan was over.

All and all 12 Spanish’s ships were sunk while the remaining 9 including Alfarro’s Miguel were captured. The only Dutch casualty are the double-decker Hr.Ms. Java and Hr.Ms van Diemen.

The battle of Palawan effectively ended the Spaniard Navy presence in the Asia Pacific. The Royal Netherlands navy (Koninklijke Marine) now have total control of the sea.

The end of the war now is just a matter of time".

In memories of those brave seaman who fought in the Battle of Trafalgar​

21st October 1805​

Last edited:
WOW i really love this AAR, not only because its writing in such a nice way, but also because the Dutch are winning!

What a naval battle; great skill by the De Vries and the fast frigates. Alfredo just couldnt handle his bigger fleet as you describe it, he didnt take advantage of his big ships. Great update, its so realistically written and good description and explanation for a naval noob like me.

Yet another interesting change in style to describe the events. It seems to keep things fresh. And a well fought battle from the Dutch perspective. Certainly makes the outcome of the war quite clear. As you said - only a matter of time.

prussiablue said:
The Royal Netherlands navy (Koninklijke Marine) now have total control of the sea.
does the AI normally "plan" enough ahead to usually send military forces to the 'front lines' in advance of a DOW? also, those 21 ships were the bulk of the Spanish navy? unreal!

awesome results! ! ! fantastic update! ! ! ! :cool:

I like the update, a number of levels ;) The change of perspective is good, and well, what more fitting battle plan?

Two good updates old chap! And an interesting history lesson, too. We must all thank Professor Grimble (aka, Professor PrussiaBlue) for an excellent history lesson on the world. Also, I had no idea it was the anniversary for "The Battle of Tralfalger" today. I thought there some battle this summer that was Tralfalger, I am getting confused. But yes, let us remember those chaps that died for their country and of course, it is 200 years to the day officially.....that or we wait until another 100 years, the year 2105 but nevermind......

Anyway, update soon good sir! I look forward to a possible Dutch land invasion of Spaniard holdings in The Pacific and possibly Africa.....

Yaay! :D Hr.Ms. Rensselaer at your service! And a fast frigate, no less!

Wow, Prussiablue! You outdid yourself on this one! Very nicely done story (I liked the classroom environment -- and for a battle of this scale and complexity, I think that's the best way you could have presented it).

And you obviously have done some extensive research on naval warfare of the period. Very nicely told with strategy, and an understanding of tactics and terminology.

I missed the cliffhanger -- you updated before I had time to read and respond -- but at the end of the first one I was worried that the Spanish had caught you unawares. But they were too clever by half, it seems... They only provided you with more ships to capture! :rofl:

Rensslaer

Oranje Verzet - Ah, Monsieur President, thank you for your kind comment and support of this AAR. If you want to see more Dutch victories, then stick around, I promise my glory for the Empire.

Coz1 - I was planning to write the battle with mu usual style but decides to try something different since I have never cover a battle report. Hope you like it.

Ghostwriter - Two things. 1) Of course, the part about the Spanish Armada being sent to the Pacific is fictional but I wrote it to enhance the story. 2)In Vicky terms at the material period of time, I think 21 Spanish's ships are not unreal. In fact I may have pay them a compliment!!! After-all we are talking man-of-war and frigates only. Others smaller ships are excluded as in the game.

Stnylan - Thanks for telling me about trafalgar anniversary. Once I knew about this, I rush this update a bit, therefore could have been better polished work.

Ksim3000 - Let's hope the Dutch government share your sentiment.

Rensslaer - Thanks. I did do some research and learn some new thing myself along the way. Oh yeah, I hope you don't mind I use your 'alter ego'. After all it's Dutch. BTW, you do know, I am not the only one 'borrowing' your fame, right?

And a big thank you to all of you who still faithfully follows this story. Cheers

I don't come to this forum very often as I move usually around spanish ones. This Aar demostrates how wrong I am :) .

Het is een erg origineel idee een nederlandse aar met Victoria maken. echt mooi Aar! hier nog een lezer ;)

alvaro said:
I don't come to this forum very often as I move usually around spanish ones. This Aar demostrates how wrong I am :) .

Het is een erg origineel idee een nederlandse aar met Victoria maken. echt mooi Aar! hier nog een lezer ;)

gracias, alvaro. It's always great to have new reader on board. Hope you will stick around.

It seems De Vries is stepping in the footsteps of De Ruyter...

he isnt even in his shadow yet, but continue like this and he will be the next great maritime greatness of Holland.

I hope we get to see more Dutch naval action like we have seen in the Golden Age's

Great show there. Really nice naval battle :) Seems like the Spanish did a huge mistake declaring war on the Dutch, keep up the good work looking forward to see your armies crush Spain in a great Dutch victory :D

15-8-1856

The huge conference room situated at the top floor of the grand city hall building was well designed in such a way that cool sea breeze from the Caribbean sea can flow in unhindered to the relieve and comfort of the men inside the room.

“ This will not do”, Simon replied in such haste that it’s obvious to his counterpart on the other side of the table that the prominent Dutch Foreign Minister has not even deemed it necessary to consider his proposal.

“ But my friend”, the Spanish Foreign Minister continues politely, “ My Queen has given me strict instruction that we are only willing to offer a white peace plus some war indemnities”.

Simon waited for a while second before he says, “ Then you can tell your Queen to go to hell. We have wiped out your whole armada and occupied a great part of your so-called empire and you expect us to sign this peace agreement by throwing in a few worthless Spanish peso. Bah….you can tell your ‘Queen’ to keep her worthless peso to herself” before he continues in a more sarcastic tone, “who knows, she might need it for her exile if General O’Donell and Juan Prim decides she is too troublesome to kept”. The Dutch entourage laughed openly to the disgust of the Spanish entourage.

“ This is preposterous”, a Spanish special envoy from Madrid lost his cool and shouted, “ You are not fitted to be a diplomat, you arrogant brat”, pointing his finger at Simon Blays. “ How dare you insult our Queen, a sovereign and a monarch of a civilized nation! I demand you to kneel down before our flag and apologize to our Queen for the blasphemous shit that just came out of your mouth, you filthy little bastard”.

Slowly, Simon rises from his chair and looks straight into the envoy eyes and says “Then you can join your Queen in hell because I sure won’t do no such thing”. At this precise time, a clearly angered member of the Spanish entourage pulls out his pistol from his holster and aims the pistol at Simon forehead. “Let’s see how big you talk now, loud mouth”.

By now the Dutch guards standing behind the table were all reaching for their guns when Simon gives them a wave-down gesture to which they release their arms reluctantly.

“Go ahead, do it. Pull the trigger what are you waiting for?”, Simon says to the utmost surprise of the young man with the pistol. Clearly not expecting such answer, the young man was hesitant and it can be clearly seen from his shaking hand and puzzled facial expression.

“ Shoot me and don’t expect anyone of you here to ever see your family again. Shoot me now and let me assured you it’s not your family that will miss you but you who will miss your family in Spain”.

The room was dead silence and tension was reaching a boiling point when the Spanish Foreign Minister remarks broke the silence “Put the gun down Raul”, but met with no response.

“ I said put the gun down, Raul”, the minister shouted to which the young man reluctantly did so.

A clearly triumphant looking Simon says, “ Now if the charade is over may we proceed with the real purpose of this meeting?”. His counterpart nodded silently.

Everyone sat down and Simon clears his throat before he continues, “The Dutch government will only accept a peace offer if the Spanish Pacific islands and whole of Philippines are to be ceded to us”.

The Spanish Foreign Minister took some times to digest this request. He gazed at the numerous paintings on the wall that depict the triumphant Spanish Armies winning battles after battles few centuries ago. As much as he doesn’t want to admit, he knows the golden age of Spain has passed with time. Memories forever condemn to the abyss of history.

He held back his tears and responds, “ In respect of the pacific islands, that should be no problem but in respect of your second request, the Spanish government is only prepared to cede the 3 southern Philippines’ islands, that is Mindanao, Mindoro and Palawan. It’s would be most ungracious for you to discuss giving away territory that are still under Spain’s control.”

Simon was slightly disappointed with his counterpart’s answer. In true he was disappointed at the fact that Mj-General van Schweigh have not been able to capture Manila despite fierce fighting for the past few months. His feeling was not shown in his face as he replies, “ We feel we are entitle to the whole Philippines regardless of whether we have total control of it now. Anyway, the acceptable diplomatic convention allows the party who sue for peace to includes territory that are not in occupation by the other side as part of the settlement.

“ Yes, you are right, your Excellency, but surely you understand should your demand is given it will attract a lot of ..um…. how to say, ‘reaction’ from other great nations”.

Simon thought about what he just heard. There is some trueness in that statement. With the Crimean War just over, Prussia and France are once again free to threaten the sovereignty of Netherlands. Prussia notable, have came out of the war with two extra provinces from Russia and will be buoyed by this success. Any over-aggressive movement by the Dutch will gives the Prussian a perfect pretext to reclaim Emden and Lingen.

Still he has to have the final say in this negotiation, he thought before he says, “ Fine, we will only claim the 3 southern islands and not the whole Philippines”, to the delight to the Spanish Foreign Minister. “But we also demand you hand over the long strip of land you held in Morocco, Tare…”

“But surely you would understand, that ancient land has been with…” the Spanish Foreign Minister pleaded his case but his speech was cut short by Simon’s last word.

“And, this island”.

“What”, an agitated Spaniard yelled, “this island as well?”

“ Yes, Puerto Rico as well. Our Queen is demanding the end of your unlawful occupation in Morocco in her capacity as the legitimate sovereign of Morocco. Other great nations would not object to this. As for this island, well it seems like a good place for vacation”. Several member of the Dutch party try to disguise their amusement but fail miserably.

“The ball is now on your table Senor. I don’t think I need to remind you Vice-Admiral Jacobs and his entire Caribbean fleet is anchoring at San Juan as we speak now. This is a final and Non-negotiable counter-offer. Take it or leave it”, Simon says as he thrust out his right hand awaiting a firm handshake to seal the deal.

Seconds past as the Spanish entourage was seen mumbling among each other before the Spanish Foreign Minister stood up and with as much dignity he can still mustered shakes the outstretch hand and says “DEAL”.

A mischievous looking Simon, turns to his aide and says “ Good, can we get this sign fast, I have another appointment to catch”.

I wonder if Simon might not be getting a little overconfident. Still. A good successful war.

stnylan said:
I wonder if Simon might not be getting a little overconfident. Still. A good successful war.
Thats an understatement he.

What an arrogance indeed, probably well deserved, but not a good way to make friends in the world. This will definetly come back right in his face.

Still a good conquest, all the colonies, even morroco :)

A quick reply regarding Simon.

He is an arrogant brat but that his character, brilliant but a bonkhead. I will try to explore him in greater detail in the future.

Perhaps this update is bit crude... but i want the readers to have an opinion and better understanding on Simon.

I wonder what he would have done had the Spanish remained hard-headed and refused to agree? The notion that Prussia and/or France might challenge the Dutch if they get too bold is a solid one. But even if the peace proposal (the second one) did push the edge, it was smart for Blays to back off the Philippines. That would have been too much. A nice gain from yet another of the great powers and one that must be even more enjoyable given the history behind the two countries.

prussiablue said:
A mischievous looking Simon, turns to his aide and says “ Good, can we get this sign fast, I have another appointment to catch”.
not bad, not bad at all! ! ! :D