• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Galleys? :D Cheaper, yes. I doubt they would be any more effective against that same one Ulster ship than my five warships. ;)

Actually, according to my knowledge of naval warfare, I think galleys are better this early than warships.

And I think you should rob the Irish for money to pay the loan. :p

Actually, according to my knowledge of naval warfare, I think galleys are better this early than warships.

IIRC, galleys suffer higher attrition if they are not in the baltic or med sea

scottish clans hate it each so much that they rebel too often. I think you need to lop a few heads off

scottish clans hate it each so much that they rebel too often. I think you need to lop a few heads off

Or keep them busy by invading Ireland. :nods:

Aye.

Aargh, now I must see what happens next!

Fb-fb:​

Scots are meant to be thrifty you know :)
At least forced to be. :rolleyes: I am thinking about inventing new districts to raise jobs. ;)

Good cliffanger ending there matey! I await the outcome with baited breath. Don't let my country down - I'm trusting you with it! ;)
Thank you, sir. Must keep it interesting, though the game seems to be doing a well enough job of it. I take your trust at heart and will do my very best to see Scotland thrive! :D

I've run into rebels a couple of times with Venice but I was lucky and had a good leader, which seemed to make a big difference. Stay a vassal to England. I know it costs you income but you really need to get things under control before you break from them.

Sitting on pins and needles waiting for the next post.

Joe
A leader helps...hell, anything helps...against rebels early on. That I recall. I did not expect the Terminator! Read and see. :mad:

I hate to agree with you only in that I don't want to stay a vassal and give up that money. As you can see, I need it. But it does come with some advantages.

Bah...just mint some money...pay those soldiers and get on with the governing!

Inflation be damned!

:eek:

TheExecuter
I am minting everything I have available. When I say I am about to run out of money, I mean it. Nothing left. I cannot even take a voluntary loan. The bankers do not trust me, and I don't blame them. I couldn't even scrape up a loan from my best friend down the street that I've known for 30 years. He gave the crook eye. My account is tapped in every single way possible...in other words, there is nothing left to mint. :rolleyes:

IIRC, galleys suffer higher attrition if they are not in the baltic or med sea

Or keep them busy by invading Ireland. :nods:

Aye.

Just keep them in national waters.
At this point, building is a luxury. And I still maintain galley's aren't going to fair that much better against 1 Ulster ship when a navy of 5 warships lost. Anything involving Ireland is going to have to be well planned and long term at this point.

Scots will ruin Scotland....:D
Either they will, or I will. ;)

Aargh, now I must see what happens next!
Coming later. Thanks!

Just give them one more month. :D

Oh, just before I forget: Vassalage be damned! :mad:
I feel the same way. I win the war and lose the peace. Irritating, to say the least.

Oh, damn this looks like a real problem.:eek: Very intrigued how it will go further.
It does indeed. However, Scotland is blessed. At least thus far. Let's see if I have another rabbit to pull from the hat. :D

Hope you win, but even numbers attacking mountainous terrain in the 1420s...it doesn't look too hopeful to be honest. Better get some good rolls!
I know - it looks foolhardy and I hesitated doing it. But what choice did I have? If I continued to wait, as I was trying to do and just follow behind as they fell prey to attrition, they would eventually take enough of Scotland to cause a Govt collapse. I was not interested in that outcome. I'd rather go down fighting. ;)

Next update later today. Thanks for the comments! :)

Scotland Forever

Last thing we knew, I was sending all I had into The Grampians for the mother of all battles...well, at least a very large battle...a police action against some very unruly gents...very unruly. And I was about to run out of money. I was certain I would be forced to take a second loan. And then an angel from heaven descended down and bestowed upon me a gift...unhappy merchants.

UnhappyMerchantsgivecash.jpg

By God, it was the sweetest irritating event I have ever received in all these years of playing. It could not have come soon enough. 100 extra ducats to play around with. It doesn't end the problem, but it saved a headache for another day. And we could use the cheer, especially after the battle finally started:

BattleofGrampians1426.jpg

Crap!!!

I am having to play as tight and close as I can, raising 3,000 recruits and lowering maintenance at the same time, just to save a few extra ducats. December rolls around and I check to see if I can just drop the vassalization. Nothing doing. Still greyed out. But I DO have the ability to DoW. :p :wacko:

The year 1427 begins and right away good news hits...

AngusArrives.jpg

This should help immensely. It damn well better. Come on Angus!!! I raise maintenance immediately and by February, I am invading the Grampians for a second time.

2ndBattleofGrampians.jpg

Everything looks great right off the bat and stays that way until right at the end, we somehow lose our nerve and...

Lose2ndGrampians.jpg

::sigh::

Alright then...no problem...take a deep breath...you son of a $#%&@*$%!@?^%!!!! :mad::mad: Frackin' , ficken' frack and foul, filth and foul! :mad::mad:

Sorry...sorry...lost it a bit there. I'm better now...promise. ::deep breath::

So where were we...we (pause) lost...yet again. :( But that's OK. We have a leader and a clear advantage in numbers now. Maintenance is lowered only long enough for the Army to regain strength and then like a herd of banshees we descend from the Highlands to destroy every last man, woman and child from this rebellion. Harsh, maybe. But they forced my hand.

3rdBattleofGrampians.jpg

By July it is all over and victory is finally ours. It took a long time to get here. I'll say that. Why that son of a...sorry, sorry...started to digress again. Here is Scotland after the rebellion:

Scotland1427.jpg

Scotland, 1427

As you can see, I split my forces to get them into Lothian and Strathclyde immediately. Both are put under siege so we can get back to the business of worrying about the English. Of course, by September we receive news that England makes peace with Burgundy, with England buying their way out. Our truce is up next year. Here's Europe:

Europe1427.jpg

Europe, 1427

And here's England's diplomatic screen:

EnglandsRel1427.jpg

Bastards! At this point, I have won the rebellion...well, so far...and yet I have still not recovered from the early war. In fact, the situation is worse. I am yet agin at that threshold of being forced to take a second loan. I am tapped.

I need all the help I can get. I call on the holy trinity...

HolyTrinity.jpg

The Holy Triumverate

My three favorite Scotsmen...

groundskeeper_willie.jpg

"Oi numpty, whit aboot me?"

...four favorite Scotsmen to turn this thing around! Hey...I'm up for anything at this point. :D

Last edited:
Nice to see that you finally got rid of the rebels. Thank God for unruly merchants and Angus! The English won't attack while you are their vassal? Or will they?:confused:

Of course Connor Mc Leod, William Wallace, and Sean 'Bond' Connery are true badasses, but Willy McDougal is the man you need, to crush your irritating southern neighbors ! :D

So, what with your revolt risk now? Did it return to 0 mark? Or is it still possible for more crazy uprisings?:)

depends which clan is still around and has eyes for the throne

I thought I had already replied and subscribed to this aar.:huh: It's been a nice read so far, too bad the problems I have in my games with rebels is not only my problems. Should probably be adressed in a patch.

The middle member of your triumverate of Scotsmen is an Australian spy. Considering that Australia won't be discovered until a couple of centuries after this, it is particularly sneaky of them. Still, you probably could use his help about now. And don't forget Fat Bastard too. Just keep him away from any babies.

Odd question for you, if you can remember... 7th screenshot from your last update (1 September 1427). Is the tooltip about rebellions from a different date, cropped short, or did it fail to mention Strathclyde as controlled by rebels?

Before your doughty foursome settle in
Remember other Scotsmen lurk
Over by the village kirk
Waiting to go to work
Never wanting you to suceed

:)