• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Glad to see you continue coz. Boxing in the Dutch at the East Coast and taking their lands in one quick swoop and you have the US to yourself until you can take on the Spanish worlwide.

Great to see that you are back writing coz. A lot of development, and I am glad to see that your efforts were successful in the end and that the colonization attempts worked in the end. I don’t think your efforts against the Swedes will ever succeed so it might indeed be better to move your attention to Brandenburg. It they also reject your efforts maybe it is time to just go at it alone...

Hi Coz,

I just read the whole thing and I must say you have done very well with Scotland. Your inflation is of course unbelievably high, but most likely you wouldn't have been able to beat the English without all those extra troops, so in the end I guess it was worth it.

I hope you can find the inspiration to keep this one going.

Fb-fb:​

Very nice pics! :) Kennesaw Mtn is surely an interesting place, maybe a bit too hot for my taste during the summer. :D

No problem at all.
I just want to see Scotland playing a more important role on the international level.
It's all hot down here right now. 100 degrees days turning into 90 degree nights. Gotta love the humidity and melt along with the rest of them. Or move. ;) And I do love the south.

Interesting
We had a good time that day. I've been to Kennesaw Mtn a few times, the last 2 with Director and previously stnylan when he visited from across the pond a few years back. Cheatham's Hill always puts the human element into my thinking when considering the US Civil War. I recall stnylan and I ended up walking all the way down the hill just to see how steep the advance was for the Union troops.

Pesky Swedish a little alliance won't cost them too much ! Why are they so stubborn ?
Hopefully Prussia will be more friendly.
I want my war against the Netherlands ! :D
Time to show to the world who is the real master of North America.
I have to say, I am just as stumped. I've given Sweden plenty of gifts, we are same religion...maybe I jumped too quickly. One must woo a paramour, don't you know. ;)

As for the Dutch...I'll get to that. Promise.

No great power without great inflation?
Sucks. :D
By this point, I don't even really mind the inflation.* It's just a fact of life. I am actually rather impressed I've been able to get some good research in with such a high level. :D

One short war and you'll have the eastern US to yourself. Okay, I won't nag. :D But the treasury is sound, the army isn't going to get much readier and the Dutch are moving ahead in tech... and the clock is ticking on that casus belli, isn't it? Okay, okay, I won't nag. :D

Looking at the inflation chart it seems both China and Spain are nearly up to your levels. France seems to have high income and low inflation, so it would be best not to pick on them, I think. :)
Yes, yes...we'll get to the Dutch. All in good time. You know me...I play a cautious game most of the time...especially when I have such budgetary issues. The CB does not go away as long as I have a core on Chesapeake. And I don't want to mess with France unless I have to. In fact, now that we've seen the Edict of Tolerance, I wonder if it isn't time to start working on relations with them once more. They could be useful against Spain, certainly.

Glad to see you continue coz. Boxing in the Dutch at the East Coast and taking their lands in one quick swoop and you have the US to yourself until you can take on the Spanish worlwide.
Yes, that's the real trouble. It's not so much the tech levels as numbers with Spain. They have a lot to bring to any fight and can throw them to the winds without care.

Great to see that you are back writing coz. A lot of development, and I am glad to see that your efforts were successful in the end and that the colonization attempts worked in the end. I don’t think your efforts against the Swedes will ever succeed so it might indeed be better to move your attention to Brandenburg. It they also reject your efforts maybe it is time to just go at it alone...
True, Brandenburg-Prussia will likely be the best partner in the long run. We have little areas of trouble and many of the same areas of interest. Plus, I have much better relations with them than I have with France. If not, I will go it alone, but I'd rather have somebody keeping them active on the Continent rather than allow useless...and tedious...landings on the Isles if I can help it.

Hi Coz,

I just read the whole thing and I must say you have done very well with Scotland. Your inflation is of course unbelievably high, but most likely you wouldn't have been able to beat the English without all those extra troops, so in the end I guess it was worth it.

I hope you can find the inspiration to keep this one going.
Wow! Thanks! I really appreciate that. :) I've reached that AAR stage where the length can be daunting. Glad you enjoyed it and especially got to see the long slog towards full Union. It's been fun. And I have 160 yrs more to go. :D

To all - Need to get some more actual game-play in and hopefully I'll have some time to get it in tomorrow. Sunday is my last grandparent's 91st birthday and we're going to treat granddaddy to a day at my uncle's lake house.**

** Incidentally, as a man of (some) words and having an appreciation of the written language, I've always found the spelling of granddaddy troubling as it seems to add one too many d's to the equation...but grandaddy doesn't work as it seems to leave out the needed "d" (He's a grand "addy"?) - a frivolous mental tangent to be sure, but as I type the word, I cannot help but mention it. It's always been his name to me but I usually say it rather than spell it. ;)

Next on the agenda...war with the Dutch over Chesapeake and more colonies! Coming soon. :)

Well, Coz, you brought an oldtimer out of exile and back to EU civilization. Congratulations! Great AAR here, fun to read, especially your reactions to various events and battles. I'd swear you were channelling Storey and Crimea a few times back there. Some comments, not necessarily in any neat order:

1. Forget the diplo gifts. Far too little bang for too much buck, particularly with your expensive* costs to do anything. That money would be better invested in just about anything else, IMHO, but especially in manufactories. You are Great Britain, after all. Do you really think you need Sweden's help to beat the Dutch?

2. Speaking of the * I have to admit I admired your guts early on, taking about 40% of * and two bankruptcies in order to get the decisive victory over the English. As you know from my AARs that is very far removed from my playing style, so it was refreshing to see someone take all those terrible financial hits and keep driving forward, no matter the cost. But man, no way would I ever do that!

3. I did play a Scotland game in EU2, but that was back in the very easy 1.05 days. Trading was very easy (and highly exploitable), and the penalty for an oversized army was little or nothing. So it really wasn't all that hard just to build whatever army I needed and then hammer the English. In that game I also got a free CB against Eire (I think Scotland starts with it, or at least they used to) and Eire was easy pickings with mostly unfortified provinces. So back then a Scot player could get a pretty nice base before taking on the English for an all out, law of the jungle, fight.

4. The rebels in your game, especially in the early years, looked super tough, much worse than I remember from my EU2 days. Were they ramped up somehow in FTG?

5. On the Act of Union event, which you fired sometime around 1620 or so, were there some requirements as to owning a lot of English territory (which of course you did)? I mean, you wouldn't have had that as a historical Scotland, would you?

6. It looked like you went about 150 years with no trade income at all?! No wonder you were poor! Well, there was * in addition.

7. General question about FTG: I admit I've been so out of touch I didn't even know this game existed until pretty recently! Just from a casual look my impression is it's an official Paradox release of EU2-AGCEEP along with a few bug fixes and some EU3 style interface improvements, with maybe some really badass, nasty rebels thrown in. Is this a fair description?

8. Finally, I'm very sorry for the loss of your two grandmothers, particularly the most recent who was very close to you. She had a good heart and a good, tough body to last that long! And you'll meet again in a better place without any of the aging or health problems. Best wishes as you and your family recover. And I very selfishly hope you get back to writing another chapter here.

9. Oh yeah, one more. Who's the orange-brown country in Turkey's heartland? It looks like the Turks haven't done so well and I'm wondering who is to blame.

10. Wait, not finished yet. A while back you mentioned that you saw the French fighting rebels in unsettled territory, and wondered how that happened. Here's my theory: the French had a low level colony or TP there, rebels marched in, triggered a native uprising which destroyed the colony/TP, and the French army was going through there anyway en route to somewhere.

Fb-fb:​

War would be good before Enewald has to switch to decaf
I'll get there soon enough to please Enewald and all other impatient warmongers. ;)

How could I've missed this? :eek:

Subscribed!
Thanks! Hope you've enjoyed the ride so far.

Excellent. Securing the east coast will give you plenty of time to grab those juicy inland provinces undisturbed later.
Indeed, though the French are still bleeding down from Canada and I still need to block Florida and the Spanish.

Well, Coz, you brought an oldtimer out of exile and back to EU civilization. Congratulations! Great AAR here, fun to read, especially your reactions to various events and battles. I'd swear you were channelling Storey and Crimea a few times back there. Some comments, not necessarily in any neat order:

1. Forget the diplo gifts. Far too little bang for too much buck, particularly with your expensive* costs to do anything. That money would be better invested in just about anything else, IMHO, but especially in manufactories. You are Great Britain, after all. Do you really think you need Sweden's help to beat the Dutch?

2. Speaking of the * I have to admit I admired your guts early on, taking about 40% of * and two bankruptcies in order to get the decisive victory over the English. As you know from my AARs that is very far removed from my playing style, so it was refreshing to see someone take all those terrible financial hits and keep driving forward, no matter the cost. But man, no way would I ever do that!

3. I did play a Scotland game in EU2, but that was back in the very easy 1.05 days. Trading was very easy (and highly exploitable), and the penalty for an oversized army was little or nothing. So it really wasn't all that hard just to build whatever army I needed and then hammer the English. In that game I also got a free CB against Eire (I think Scotland starts with it, or at least they used to) and Eire was easy pickings with mostly unfortified provinces. So back then a Scot player could get a pretty nice base before taking on the English for an all out, law of the jungle, fight.

4. The rebels in your game, especially in the early years, looked super tough, much worse than I remember from my EU2 days. Were they ramped up somehow in FTG?

5. On the Act of Union event, which you fired sometime around 1620 or so, were there some requirements as to owning a lot of English territory (which of course you did)? I mean, you wouldn't have had that as a historical Scotland, would you?

6. It looked like you went about 150 years with no trade income at all?! No wonder you were poor! Well, there was * in addition.

7. General question about FTG: I admit I've been so out of touch I didn't even know this game existed until pretty recently! Just from a casual look my impression is it's an official Paradox release of EU2-AGCEEP along with a few bug fixes and some EU3 style interface improvements, with maybe some really badass, nasty rebels thrown in. Is this a fair description?

8. Finally, I'm very sorry for the loss of your two grandmothers, particularly the most recent who was very close to you. She had a good heart and a good, tough body to last that long! And you'll meet again in a better place without any of the aging or health problems. Best wishes as you and your family recover. And I very selfishly hope you get back to writing another chapter here.

9. Oh yeah, one more. Who's the orange-brown country in Turkey's heartland? It looks like the Turks haven't done so well and I'm wondering who is to blame.

10. Wait, not finished yet. A while back you mentioned that you saw the French fighting rebels in unsettled territory, and wondered how that happened. Here's my theory: the French had a low level colony or TP there, rebels marched in, triggered a native uprising which destroyed the colony/TP, and the French army was going through there anyway en route to somewhere.
Great to see you in here, jwolf! Thanks very much for checking out my AAR. I always love your comments! :D And no doubt Storey was and remains an influence over any AAR I write.

Let me try and answer a few of your questions:

I don't know that I need help fighting the Dutch, but I wouldn't mind it. Just makes it a bit easier.

I don't think rebels were jumped up in FtG as much as later patches for EU2, and especially in AGCEEP. Early rebels have been hard to beat for awhile now, that I recall. Makes them no less irritating. ;)

For the Act of Union, I just took the English event and switched it to Scotland (in fact, there is one set up that way to give you the reverse Union Jack.) I felt it appropriate as I've held most of Northern England for a hundred years or more.

And for FtG the game, it is an independent release from some long time modders that Pdox released. The old EU2 engine was more or less retired and thankfully there were some who still wanted to upgrade it on their own. Since I can't play new generation Pdox games due to a laptop, I appreciate it as it adds an extra lvl to the great EU2 we all remember.

On the country around the Ottomans, I am not sure...Karamon or something? They've had a few troubles. ;)

I think you may be right about the French in the open territory. That makes perfect sense. And indeed...I gave up on trade for a good century there. I seem to recall bigger fish to fry. :D

Thank you for the words on my grandmothers. And again - so wonderful to see you stop by. :)

And a special note to anyone else reading this - go check out a few jwolf AARs. You can't go wrong. :D

Sorry to all that time has been scarce. I promise to get back to this soon. And thank you to all that voted in the ACAs for this and Quest II, especially given my very slow pace at present (glacial on Milan's Quest. ;)) I do appreciate the nods.

Last edited:
From Coz: I don't know that I need help fighting the Dutch, but I wouldn't mind it. Just makes it a bit easier.

Sure, all other things being equal, it would be much easier. But all other things are not equal. Instead of spending hundreds of ducats trying to sweettalk the Swedes into an alliance -- which they may or may not honor at the critical time -- I submit that your Dutch war would go better if you invested that money into your own techs, army, and fleet.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not opposed to seeking out an alliance with another major if it could be done at little or no cost. But IMHO it isn't worth such an alliance if you need to spend such a huge amount of money to get it.

You could always try allying WITH the Dutch -- maybe they're friendlier than Sweden is. Heh. :D