• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
An excellent choice for a proper pillar of the community. I hope you and your (allegedly) tamed emus are enjoying both the break and the well deserved award! Congratulations @Bullfilter !

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Many thanks to all those who offered their well wishes. First, as promised (if a bit delayed after a holiday break travelling) here are a few AARs I thought I'd mention as they are either a bit newer, or I think deserve a bit of publicity or have been featuring a fair bit in my recent reading. Apologies in advance to any old favourites I may not have mentioned here: still love yuz, this is just a more selective cross-section.

Rex Germania - A Brandenburg to Prussia Strategy AAR by @Rensslaer has been going since last October, so well established but not yet hugely long. A nice 'return to the EU world' pseudo-beginners (for a new version) and strategic discussion gameplay AAR.

Jak's Game Guide: An EU4 Tutorial by @jak7139 is a nice recently starting one to complement it with. A very generous commenter and advisor on the technical aspects of various games 'giving back' with a vehicle to hone the skills as Brittany is marched towards greatness.

Children of Dacia by @IliciMan is a largely narrative and interesting take on a less-familiar to many corner of the EU4 world, by someone whose second-language English is as good/better than most who have it as a first one! Started mid-last year but only up to page 6, so you could catch up pretty easily.

American Carnage - A United States Kaiserreich AAR by the prolific @Tommy4ever is a very cleverly blended HOI4 historical narrative/gameplay piece. Only started back at the end of last year but already quite well established with great research and extrapolation of old people and new KR events in the context of the atomisation and recombination of the US in a Second Civil War.

The Lost Saga is a recent complement to the epic and well-presented Lost Seasons of the Danes - A Viking AAR by @Chac1. Lost Seasons in particular is a very in-depth narrative exploration of a CK2 old Norse Danish kingdom (and one king in particular) with enormously detailed character development, lots of intrigue and plots and an interesting semi-graphic novel presentation of the considerable and interesting dialogue sequences. Been getting lots of attention recently on the boards, and for good cause!

Wings of Faith, Wings of Fury - A Slavic Pagan Revival AAR by @Superstorm has been going since August 2021 now and I reckon is a tour de force of the sweeping historical CK2 AAR type, written largely from the viewpoint of a modern scholar or historian reviewing events as if they were broadly familiar to the modern reader (say like an amateur picking up a book on the HRE, knowing a bit about it in general but not in great detail). Really well done with great character exploration from an historical rather than first or second person perspective.

The Dragons Realm, A House Targaryen AAR by @streaker77 - an AGOT epic of huge narrative sweep.

The Wars of the Roses (@coz1, EU4), Road of Queens - CKII India AAR (@Eurasia), Avon Las Observes (@Midnite Duke, CK2, sadly winding up now due to computer problems), The German Century: A Kaiserreich AAR (@Basileus2, HOI4), Tomorrow Belongs To Me - A 'Democratic' Germany AAR (@TheButterflyComposer, HOI4) are all well-established and awarded AARs that are always worth looking at.

Finally, my nomination for the next FotW last received this accolade in mid-2023 and well deserves it again. This will be their fifth if I'm reading the summary right. A tireless and really helpful commenter, certainly on a few of my AARs and I'm sure on others. Congratulations to @jak7139

Last edited:
  • 4Love
  • 3Like
Reactions:
thank you for the kind words :) I never realized my English is noticeably good :)

• 3Like
Reactions:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Well deserved choice. Congratulations @jak7139 .

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Congratulations @jak7139!

You are awesomely qualified for this award! I know you comment on my AARs - tell us about some of the others you're reading.

I came to change the thread title and stats and everything but @Qorten must have beat me to it. Thank you!

Rensslaer

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Thank you @HistoryDude , @El Pip , @Lord Durham , and @Rensslaer !

As for what I'm currently reading, I'm following much of the same stuff as @Bullfilter. He's also mentioned a few new ones that I've put on my ever-growing reading list. I'm also enjoying his own AARs: Dreams of Frisian Freedom, Blood and Empire, and Poles Apart.

But aside from those he already mentioned, there's also Dreams of Elysium by @Nikolai in a modded Victoria 3 game. And there are three recently started AARs by other authors. The first is A Throne of Blood and Iron (Vic 2) by @goldbugbite. Another is The Red Heart of Europe (CK3) by @High Speed Flying Gladius. And then there is the EU4 portion of @ardsss ' Lithuanian History ported over from CK3. There is also @Rensslaer 's Shining Stars in Victoria 2 and the recently restarted Superior Arguments (Stellaris) by @eoncommander. I also would be remiss in not mentioning Mead and Blood (CK3) by @The Kingmaker, The Broken Gates (CK3) by @Macavity116, and Galactic Pacification for Dummies (Stellaris) by @Peter Ebbesen.

Thank you again for this honor everyone!

• 4Love
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Well done on a deserved nod @jak7139! Congrats!

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Thank you @coz1 and @The Kingmaker!

Just FYI, I'll be out of town this weekend, so might not have time to nominate a successor until late Sunday or Monday.

• 2Like
Reactions: